Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I love Toy Story 3, but I understand what you mean about them trying to hard. I laugh/get embarrassed when Woody "waves" to Andy, and Andy flinches. It just hits me the wrong way, and it's so awkward to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTnaS8xKwS8
There is no god. :smithicide:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Seriously? I thought the faddish appeal of Jeff Dunham died off.

Some of his acts are funny, but a chunk of them are borderline if not outright racist, and Achmed's the most divisive.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Pick posted:

Yeah, I agree (about the "to each their own" part). I definitely don't want anyone to think I consider my taste authoritative. I definitely have a penchant for imperfect films, or films that have a certain grit. Something like LAIKA will always, always be more appealing to me stylistically than contemporary PIXAR and WDAS, and the same goes for storytelling beats too. I don't really want a film I completely sink into. I almost felt a little abused coming out of Toy Story 3 because I felt it enraptured me a bit too much, like it took me out of the mindset where I could analyze it. It took a second viewing for me to get out of it what I normally get from the first viewing of a film.

I didn't have the same reaction, but I totally get what you mean. Pixar movies are such fussed-over experiences and I think TS3 is the most extreme example.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

I was worried that this was a new macfarlane cartoon for a second. The animation is bland and the characters have very plastic faces.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

thelaughingman posted:

I was worried that this was a new macfarlane cartoon for a second. The animation is bland and the characters have very plastic faces.

No matter how much you may hate Seth MacFarlane, not even he deserves to be lumped in with Jeff Dunham.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

raditts posted:

No matter how much you may hate Seth MacFarlane, not even he deserves to be lumped in with Jeff Dunham.

I dunno, I can't watch either of their stuff for longer than thirty seconds without hearing something just...stupidly offensive.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

raditts posted:

Why not? He should be lumped in with Jeff Dunham.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Why not? He should be lumped in with Jeff Dunham.

He is occasionally funny. What, has he lost even his pass for American Dad from goons now?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

raditts posted:

He is occasionally funny. What, has he lost even his pass for American Dad from goons now?

American Dad never got a pass from me. I kind of liked the first few Family Guy episodes, before they cancelled it the first time. When it came back it just got all up its own rear end with being "edgy". American Dad was even worse for that and McFarlane has never looked back since.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

raditts posted:

I haven't watched any of that poo poo since the year 2000 and on top of it his creepy Botox face and his veneers don't do him any favors.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

In true South Park fashion both sides are equally bad, so the guy who is kind of obnoxious about weed and atheism is exactly as bad as the guy with the towel-headed jihaist.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Family Guy had a gag about a character throwing up after he found out he'd slept with a trans woman. Seth McFarlane is trash.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

chthonic bell posted:

Family Guy had a gag about a character throwing up after he found out he'd slept with a trans woman. Seth McFarlane is trash.

I heard about that one. I decided to try watching the show again after a few years, maybe see if it's not so bad as I thought. The first thing I saw was the most godawful Chinese stereotype with buck teeth and a coolie hat and everything. I just turned it off right then and haven't watched since.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

...of SCIENCE! posted:

In true South Park fashion both sides are equally bad, so the guy who is kind of obnoxious about weed and atheism is exactly as bad as the guy with the towel-headed jihaist.

You picked one of the more generous ways to characterize MacFarlane and the least generous way to describe Dunham. It could easily be the Rape & Racism Guy vs. the guy with the harmlessly unfunny superhero puppet.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Seth Macfarlane could also be described as The Guy With The Episode About Domestic Abuse Which Was Played Uncomfortably Straight Except They Still Had Some Jokes Which Made It Even More Uncomfortable And Literally Ended With Murder.

But that's a bit long.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They're both garbage. Let's talk about things that are more good!

For example, that third Boxtrolls trailer. I am really excited about that :3:.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

my cat is norris posted:

Peanuts teaser put a big ol' smile on my face. Thanks for linking it.

You're welcome! Here's an interesting article which goes into detail about some of the unusual animation choices which seem to help bring across that idea of Charles Schulz drawings come to life. Between Peanuts, The LEGO Movie mimicking LEGO figures in stop-motion, Paperman's hybrid of computer animation on top of hand drawings, and Pixar's proof of concept of using textured hand-drawn key frames to create hand-drawn-style textures on computer animation, it seems we're seeing a lot of experiments with CGI that prove that it doesn't always have to be the "big and round 3D characters like Shrek" style that the average person probably thinks computer animation is.

Since there's been some discussion here of some projects in the works from indie studios that are in development, I don't think I've seen a mention of Unstable, a 2D hand-drawn feature from Jeff "Swampy" Marsh of Rocko's Modern Life and Phineas and Ferb fame for the British studio he used to work for that did Bounty Hamster and Aaggh! It's the Mr. Hell Show!. Based on this article and this concept teaser, it looks like it will be very unique and goofy and I look forward to seeing where the project goes.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Das Boo posted:

Up's my favorite Pixar movie because Dug reminds me so much of my childhood dog who I still can't talk about without crying. So I get what you're saying, Pick.
Though I didn't have the same experience with TS3 as most people: I was sitting next to my sister in the theatre and she burst out laughing at the climax. (She loved the movie but thought they were trying too hard. And... yeah, a bit.)
The incinerator?

Pick posted:

Personally, I prefer when a viewing experience is reflective of you individually, just as we have individual perspectives on everything else that occurs in life. When I went to TS3, everyone in the theater--young and old--had exactly the same reaction to everything happening on-screen in almost perfect synchronization, and that includes me. The discussion thread here indicated that these beats hit universally. I prefer films that help facilitate your thinking, kind of a "you get out what you put in" approach. For example, who do you sympathize with more in "A Goofy Movie", Max or Goofy? As a kid, I found Max intolerable, but the older I've gotten the more I've sympathized with him because his life is being railroaded by someone who means well but isn't listening.

With Toy Story 3, there wasn't really any mystery why I felt what I felt, and any sensible person would react in such a way at those times. It's not wrong or "bad" per se but I felt something I get out of my favorite films was missing.

That clarifies things, thanks.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Mr. Peabody and Sherman wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting, though I feel like the character dynamics between Sherman and Penny would've been a whole lot better and a whole lot less weird if The Bully and The Girl hadn't been the same character. The history jokes were more than enough to balance the awkward pop culture jokes though and the puns were awful excellent.

Is Almost Home actually going to be its own movie, though? The short was really bad and almost soured me on Peabody's intro.

This is rad!

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

raditts posted:

He doesn't write American Dad.

Also don't write off AD it is amazing.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

chthonic bell posted:

Isn't that just a Crying Game reference?

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

BrosephofArimathea posted:

Isn't that just a Crying Game reference?

That doesn't really make it any loving better?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

chthonic bell posted:

That doesn't really make it any loving better?

Its a silly joke. Get over yourself.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Irish Joe posted:

Its a silly joke. Get over yourself.

It's a "silly joke" that perpetuates fear and hatred of an already brutally marginalized portion of the population, rear end in a top hat.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DoctorWhat posted:

It's a "silly joke" that perpetuates fear and hatred of an already brutally marginalized portion of the population, rear end in a top hat.

You're getting worked up about a joke in a cartoon for stoned teenagers. Please check your privilege.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Seth McFarlane is an unfunny hack and all his shows look like poo poo and it was a bigoted joke.

Moving on.

Thanks to this thread, I rewatched Who Framed Roger Rabbit? for the first time since I was a teen and holy poo poo, I did not remember it being quite so dark or quite so obvious a metaphor for segregation. :stare: Probably the only thing I flat-out didn't catch the significance of this time was "playing pattycake". Like, is there a bigger joke I'm missing or was the joke just "what they actually did was totally innocent"?

I'm ESL, I don't know what is and isn't obscure old slang. :v:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I'm not going to have time today to monitor where this is going, so I'm going to say stop this poo poo now.

chthonic bell posted:

Seth McFarlane is an unfunny hack and all his shows look like poo poo and it was a bigoted joke.

Moving on.

This is the final point.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

You're getting worked up about a joke in a cartoon for stoned teenagers. Please check your privilege.

Teenagers are young enough that they might be persuaded not to be transphobic hateful sacks of poo poo, and "jokes" (read: hateful bile) like that one sabotage those efforts, rear end in a top hat.

EDIT: you ninja'd me, Vargo. I'm done.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

chthonic bell posted:

Probably the only thing I flat-out didn't catch the significance of this time was "playing pattycake". Like, is there a bigger joke I'm missing or was the joke just "what they actually did was totally innocent"?

I'm ESL, I don't know what is and isn't obscure old slang. :v:

It's definitely sexual innuendo but it could also be taken literally. It's a general cartoon gag.

An excellent film. I've always liked the relationship between Jessica and Roger.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Pick posted:

It's definitely sexual innuendo but it could also be taken literally.

But of course, this falls under the stipulation that anything can be a sexual innuendo if you say it a certain way.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Sir Lemming posted:

But of course, this falls under the stipulation that anything can be a sexual innuendo if you say it a certain way.

I played this game with a friend in middle school. You'd say the dumbest, most innocuous thing in a :pervert: tone and it would always sound dirty.

"I'd like to replace HIS transmission." :pervert:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

edit: poor excuse to use :thejoke:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Das Boo posted:

I played this game with a friend in middle school. You'd say the dumbest, most innocuous thing in a :pervert: tone and it would always sound dirty.

"I'd like to replace HIS transmission." :pervert:

In your endo :pervert:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

chthonic bell posted:

Thanks to this thread, I rewatched Who Framed Roger Rabbit? for the first time since I was a teen and holy poo poo, I did not remember it being quite so dark or quite so obvious a metaphor for segregation. :stare:

To me Who Framed Roger Rabbit is the perfect family film. As a child I loved the colourful and crazy cartoon antics and as an adult I'm able to appreciate the many references to film noir and animation history. It's one of those rare films that operates on two levels and works equally well on both.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Edit: Sorry my phone posted from my pocket.

Shampy fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 21, 2014

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

So I've seen the Rio2 trailer, and it looks stupid as hell, but I never really was interested in the first one dude to the Brazilian butt bounce.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Hey Pick, here's something you might be interested in: http://thedissolve.com/features/forgotbusters/475-the-awful-oscar-nominated-shark-tale-shows-how-far/

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Robindaybird posted:

So I've seen the Rio2 trailer, and it looks stupid as hell, but I never really was interested in the first one dude to the Brazilian butt bounce.

I took a class of kids to see the first one. I've never sneered so hard at a movie.
Kids deserved better. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Apparently Scott Aukerman has an "Additional Dialogue" credit for Shark Tale.

• Locked thread