Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Not sure what that has to do with Say'ri, but ok? :shrug:

Though you could do waaaaaaaay better than Gangrel for mage Morgan.

On closer inspection, I should've bolded the latter part of your post, as I was adressing that part on the assumption that you meant all units like that and not just Say'ri.

Regarding your second statement, if you're thinking of Avatar x second-gen kids then no. I don't do pairings like that (other than to fill out the support log). If you meant something else, then I'll just say that the Gangrel pairing has something to do with Sorcerer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
So for Apotheosis- is it necessary to max out a full complement of 20 mans, or should I just do 10+reasonably leveled supports? I want to beat it once, but I don't want to grind any more than I have to.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Folt The Bolt posted:

On closer inspection, I should've bolded the latter part of your post, as I was adressing that part on the assumption that you meant all units like that and not just Say'ri.

Regarding your second statement, if you're thinking of Avatar x second-gen kids then no. I don't do pairings like that (other than to fill out the support log). If you meant something else, then I'll just say that the Gangrel pairing has something to do with Sorcerer.

If you just want Magic modifiers, Ricken would be the best father anyway, since Morgan gets access to all classes. You lose a small bit of Skl/Spd but that's not too hard to make up for.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

THE loving MOON posted:

So for Apotheosis- is it necessary to max out a full complement of 20 mans, or should I just do 10+reasonably leveled supports? I want to beat it once, but I don't want to grind any more than I have to.

10 plus a good support crew should be enough, assuming galeforce is available as a force multiplier.

Might want a couple more to be safe, since everyone will be paired up all the time, but that should work even with the turn limits.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you want to cheese the hard difficulty of Apothesis, having 4-5 Snipers with 3 range bows should be enough, as long as they're packed with Galeforce and Luna or some atk-boosting skill with S rank.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

THE loving MOON posted:

It's possible with just Chrom and a Female Avatar unit if they are married and you have the right asset and flaw. You could definitely still clear with 10 units. It's probably better to go with 5 fully leveled pairs than having underleveled supports since a lot of your damage comes from Dual Strikes but as long as you've maxed offensive stats (strength/magic, skill and luck) and have every other stat above 30 for the pair up bonuses you don't need supports with fully maxed stats if you don't intend to ever put them in the front of a pair up.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Awesome, thanks guys. Just wanna skate by this thing with a C average. :slick:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

If you just want Magic modifiers, Ricken would be the best father anyway, since Morgan gets access to all classes. You lose a small bit of Skl/Spd but that's not too hard to make up for.

2 more Magic in exchange for 3 less Speed is the dealbreaker here, and in this case, Gangrel wins out because I need that Speed and because Ricken usually marries someone else.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

2 more Magic in exchange for 3 less Speed is the dealbreaker here, and in this case, Gangrel wins out because I need that Speed and because Ricken usually marries someone else.

Do you really need the Speed though? Morgan with Ricken as the father and a +Magic/-Defense Avatar has 55 Speed as a Sage with Limitbreaker, something like S-Rank Great Lord Lucina gives +9 Speed and a Speed Tonic gives +2 for 66 Speed, which is enough to double everything on the Normal Route and everything but Anna, 2 Snipers, 3 Berserkers and a Sage on the Secret Route before Rallies. Add in a Rally Spectrum, Speed and Heart for 76 Speed and you'll double everything. Gangrel with the same setup does have 69 Speed to double the Berserkers and Sage without Rallies but are those four enemies really worth losing four damage per round? Especially since Rallies will almost always be up? Of course you might as well just marry Laurent for better magic and possibly better speed than both of them, depending on his father.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Do you really need the Speed though? Morgan with Ricken as the father and a +Magic/-Defense Avatar has 55 Speed as a Sage with Limitbreaker, something like S-Rank Great Lord Lucina gives +9 Speed and a Speed Tonic gives +2 for 66 Speed, which is enough to double everything on the Normal Route and everything but Anna, 2 Snipers, 3 Berserkers and a Sage on the Secret Route before Rallies. Add in a Rally Spectrum, Speed and Heart for 76 Speed and you'll double everything. Gangrel with the same setup does have 69 Speed to double the Berserkers and Sage without Rallies but are those four enemies really worth losing four damage per round? Especially since Rallies will almost always be up? Of course you might as well just marry Laurent for better magic and possibly better speed than both of them, depending on his father.

I'm gonna make Morgan into a Sorcerer, not Sage, and I have no intention of marrying a second-gen child. As far as Apotheosis goes, I'm going to beat that on my own terms.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

I'm gonna make Morgan into a Sorcerer, not Sage, and I have no intention of marrying a second-gen child. As far as Apotheosis goes, I'm going to beat that on my own terms.

Wait. Let me see if I have this right.

You have no moral issue with marrying Ricken, who is, like, 12. Meanwhile, you object to marrying Laurent because he's a "child", when he's somewhere in the neighborhood of 25. Like, Laurent's got a good chance of being older than at least one of his parents.

I'd assume it was an issue with how late in the game you get the kids, but Laurent's recruitment is one of the easiest, and he's competing against Gangrel, who's pretty much only available for postgame and DLC.

Is it the time travel thing? Because that kind of attitude would have prevented the birth of John Connor, dooming humanity. Why are you on Skynet's side here?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Wait. Let me see if I have this right.

You have no moral issue with marrying Ricken, who is, like, 12. Meanwhile, you object to marrying Laurent because he's a "child", when he's somewhere in the neighborhood of 25. Like, Laurent's got a good chance of being older than at least one of his parents.

I'd assume it was an issue with how late in the game you get the kids, but Laurent's recruitment is one of the easiest, and he's competing against Gangrel, who's pretty much only available for postgame and DLC.

Is it the time travel thing? Because that kind of attitude would have prevented the birth of John Connor, dooming humanity. Why are you on Skynet's side here?

Ricken is marrying elsewhere because he's a magic unit with Cavalier (Dual Guard+ and Luna) which is a desirable combo for certain mothers' children, and marrying him to the Avatar kinda wastes this. (Though I'll admit that if it wasn't for that, I'd only marry him so I can fill out the Support Log.)

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

And then there's the Lucina/Owain marriage. :japan:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I managed to marry my kid (Owain) with his cousin on accident (Cynthia), they just fit too well together and I forgot they were family!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It is weird that you'd find no issues marrying Gangrel or Ricken but are against the second generation. It's your choice, though.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Davincie posted:

I managed to marry my kid (Owain) with his cousin on accident (Cynthia), they just fit too well together and I forgot they were family!

This is why Sumia/Chrom is a terrible pairing. Never do Sumia/Chrom. The game "pushing" it is meant to be reverse psychology, you should be saying "gently caress you game, Chrom's banging Sully or some poo poo instead!"

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Davincie posted:

Yeah, I was working out my ~optimal pairings~ like the :spergin: I am and I kept having to mentally remind myself not to S-rank them.

I pair them up 110% of the time if Chrom marries Olivia someone other than Sumia, though (haha I mean Olivia who the gently caress else would you have him marry).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

This is why Sumia/Chrom is a terrible pairing. Never do Sumia/Chrom. The game "pushing" it is meant to be reverse psychology, you should be saying "gently caress you game, Chrom's banging Sully or some poo poo instead!"

But pega-pony princess!

In all honesty, I find Sully to be a better fit for Chrom personality-wise, but Lucina's sibling support works best with Cynthia. Still, their regular friendship support is pretty amazing (as are most of Cynthia's).

Chrom/Maribelle is ehh though. Lucina suffers physically even if she gets Galeforce, and while Rightful King/Miracle/Luna is a nice idea in theory, Brady has better options and he has the least visible hair to get the blue from. :v:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

It is weird that you'd find no issues marrying Gangrel or Ricken but are against the second generation. It's your choice, though.

Like I said, I'd have Ricken be forever alone (except to fill out the Support Log) if it wasn't for the fact that certain mothers dig having a magic unit pass down the Cavalier tree.

Niel
Mar 5, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Chrom/Maribelle is ehh though. Lucina suffers physically even if she gets Galeforce, and while Rightful King/Miracle/Luna is a nice idea in theory, Brady has better options and he has the least visible hair to get the blue from. :v:
I've always liked Chrom/Maribelle as a pairing, even if it's mostly because I like the support-chain. The resulting Lucina is mediocre at physical offense, yeah, but the main point of Chrom/Maribelle is for a Lucina that can do magic well, and considering Maribelle's passing down four tome-wielding classes (Valkyrie, Dark Flier, Dark Knight, Sage) Lucina's not exactly lacking in options. It's a meh option for Brady, though. Sniper is kind of a gimmicky niche for him to have (a Chrom-fathered Inigo is much better at that), but Brady generally has enough skills to put in all of his slots just from Maribelle either way, mainly Tomefaire, Luna, and Galeforce combined with Limit Breaker and Aggressor from DLC. That said, Lon'qu and Henry I think are definitely better fathers for him, but I don't think Brady's ever really lacking regardless.

The worst part of the pairing is that Chrom weighs down on magic growth a lot (I have the same problem with Chrom/Sumia's kids too), but on the other hand I tend to cheat and have Brady and Lucina grind on Rescue staves anyways, so it's never been a problem for me.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

A Chrom/Maribelle pairing should also make Lucina into a good support unit. She gets Rally Magic/Speed/Resistance/Luck/Movement (and Rally Love if you get Bride) and can otherwise make use of Tomefaire, Dual Strike+, Dual Guard+, and Dual Support+ if you want her as a Pair-Up support unit.

Brady is probably one of the worst "other" children for Chrom to have, but Maribelle's class set is good enough that he won't care much. The worst Chrom does to him is neuter his Magic growth a bit, and that can be worked around.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Even with a +Magic avatar mother Lucina isn't great at magic and Brady will never want to be anything other than a mage. You don't want the kids to be support units, that's what legacy characters that get every rally option and no supports are there for. It's workable but it's probably the worst option for Chrom outside of Sully.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Even with a +Magic avatar mother Lucina isn't great at magic and Brady will never want to be anything other than a mage. You don't want the kids to be support units, that's what legacy characters that get every rally option and no supports are there for. It's workable but it's probably the worst option for Chrom outside of Sully.

If you're using kids, you're probably grinding them to max stats anyway (or getting them to max stats as you're grinding skills), in which case it doesn't really matter, as Lucina will likely reach the cap anyway by the time you're done getting the skills and reclassing to the class you want for her. As for the rest, whether or not you want a kid to play support doesn't change the fact that Maribelle!Lucina can do this better than most other Lucinas.

Brady will never want to be anything other than a mage, but he will want to reclass into the classes he's got in order to get skills. Luckily for him, he's been blessed with a rather good class set from his mother (Mage and Cleric + Cavalier equals Tomefaire, Luna, either Lifetaker or Renewal for healing purposes, and Galeforce through inheritance AND he will have Sage no matter what), so while he's certainly one of the worst kids for Chrom to have, he won't be damaged much by it. He's frankly a waste regarding Rightful King though.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Why is it that the wierdest RNG always happens 30 minutes into a map?

I'm 2 enemies from clearing a Paralogue map and my best Mage misses a 80% spell and gets oneshot by a 2% crit from a skeleton. :shepface:

It was heroic, this last stand by this loving bone guy. He died an uneventful death moments later, but it was just so bizarre that I let the fucker keep his glory.

On one hand, I want to reset. On the other, it felt scripted just how unfortunate that was. So I usually just take the loss and write it down as acceptable loss. After all, I have another 40 units to replace her sitting in my preparations menu.

How much bullshit does it usually take for you to just let a character death go, and what do you consider an acceptable pace of losing units? I'm curious because I've definitely become more lax with my units as long as I'm not losing units that don't require massive grinding to replace.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I only let the men who aren't part of my glorious eugenics experiment die. :shepface:

Seriously though, I never let people die. Since I am awful but not awful enough to play Normal (or Casual), this means lots o' grinding on Hard Classic, and generally just not using anybody except Chrom + MU for the actual story battles. :effort:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The only unit I've ever actually let die in a Fire Emblem game was Nasir in FE9 on my first playthrough because he shoved himself into the final chapter without my permission and wasn't even a particularly good unit and died like a chump when Ashnard was one hit away from Death By Ike. A fool like that deserves to die. :colbert:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I let Miriel and Ricken die on my current maiden voyage through Awakening before I started resetting on character death like reasonable people do. I feel bad about Miriel!

I think I'm pretty close to the end of the game, and I've realized that if I don't start recruiting kids now there won't be any game left to actually use them in. I'm noticing that the kid-recruiting paralogues are like... way more interesting maps than anything in the main plot, aside from the brief stint in lethal lava land which was cool. Yarne's map looks like some romhack poo poo when you refuse to help either army and fight both of them with the reinforcements.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

If you're using kids, you're probably grinding them to max stats anyway (or getting them to max stats as you're grinding skills), in which case it doesn't really matter, as Lucina will likely reach the cap anyway by the time you're done getting the skills and reclassing to the class you want for her. As for the rest, whether or not you want a kid to play support doesn't change the fact that Maribelle!Lucina can do this better than most other Lucinas.

Brady will never want to be anything other than a mage, but he will want to reclass into the classes he's got in order to get skills. Luckily for him, he's been blessed with a rather good class set from his mother (Mage and Cleric + Cavalier equals Tomefaire, Luna, either Lifetaker or Renewal for healing purposes, and Galeforce through inheritance AND he will have Sage no matter what), so while he's certainly one of the worst kids for Chrom to have, he won't be damaged much by it. He's frankly a waste regarding Rightful King though.

The point is "better than most Lucinas" does not equate to good. Plus, Lifetaker and Renewal are really bad compared to Sol or Aether for literally everything but Apotheosis. I'd still use Aether over them for that anyway, though Luna would be better and she doesn't need Maribelle for either. War Priest/Valkyrie have some of the worst outside of the wyvern classes, and making Lucina a Dark Knight is just asking for her to be bad at both magic and strength without even the skill benefit from Dark Flier. Maribelle as her mother leaves her as a bad mage and fighter both with no real good skills but Galeforce to speak of. Galeforce is cool and all but she can do way better.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
So... Can someone lay out their ~*perfect pairings*~ with some explanation. You guys are tangenting really hard and I'm having trouble deciding who I want to gently caress in my game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nucleicmaxid posted:

So... Can someone lay out their ~*perfect pairings*~ with some explanation. You guys are tangenting really hard and I'm having trouble deciding who I want to gently caress in my game.
gently caress whoever you wanna gently caress. It's not important unless min/maxing gets you going. All the kids are gonna be really good no matter what you do.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Nobody marries anyone. Enforce proper fraternization policies on your army. :colbert:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Nobody marries anyone. Enforce proper fraternization policies on your army. :colbert:

Chrom would just knock someone up anyway. Chrom gives no fucks for fraternization policies.

It's good to be king.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

If you play your cards right he won't touch any of the waifus but will instead end up with some no name village girl.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Does she show up in the first timeskip cutscene or does Chrom just have a one night stand? :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Anatharon posted:

Does she show up in the first timeskip cutscene or does Chrom just have a one night stand? :v:

She'll show up for a cutscene and then drop off the face of the earth.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Davincie posted:

If you play your cards right he won't touch any of the waifus but will instead end up with some no name village girl.

Doesn't that require killing at least one of them? :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Doesn't that require killing at least one of them? :v:

No. If you keep him far far away from any of the women, he won't marry any of them.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

No. If you keep him far far away from any of the women, he won't marry any of them.

Roleplay Goon Chrom.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Anatharon posted:

Roleplay Goon Chrom.

No, Goon Chrom is the one who marries Olivia. Have him avoid all women until he meets the shiest, vulnerable one with the least clothing and immediately propose to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Geostomp posted:

No, Goon Chrom is the one who marries Olivia. Have him avoid all women until he meets the shiest, vulnerable one with the least clothing and immediately propose to her.

And of course, it's the marriage with the 'best' statistical mods on it. :japan:

Similarly, marrying the Avatar to the yandere creep that gets people to steal your hair and watches you sleep is also 'optimal'.

The other 'optimal' choices are :hellyeah: and :reddit: respectively. Oh, IntSys.

• Locked thread