Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Then the person was an idiot. Anyone worth their salt is just gonna dodge through it and roll bs you.

Really? I have not had anyone BS me. I cast pursuers before I find the person and wait to use crystal soul spear as they dodge so it hits them when the dodge animation ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein
Feb 27, 2002
Continuing my playthrough I went from only two deaths panicking through Sen's Fortress to, uh, some... in Anor Londo. God drat archers, god drat camera trying to avoid colliding with level geometry which means my character suddenly turns and dies from a fall. God bless the zweihander!

Having read about Ornstein and Smough in Dark Souls threads and already having some trouble with the respawning big dudes in the hallway before the fog gate, and Lautrec for that matter, I decided to cheat and take a looksie on youtube on how to beat O&S because they must be waaay harder than all that other stuff. Seemed simple enough. Use this, do that, don't get buttrocuted.
Went through the fog gate with that strategy in mind and... First try, victory! Almost killed myself trying to catch that corkscrew elevator though, because I assume you'll fall down and die if you miss it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Ein posted:

Continuing my playthrough I went from only two deaths panicking through Sen's Fortress to, uh, some... in Anor Londo. God drat archers, god drat camera trying to avoid colliding with level geometry which means my character suddenly turns and dies from a fall. God bless the zweihander!

Having read about Ornstein and Smough in Dark Souls threads and already having some trouble with the respawning big dudes in the hallway before the fog gate, and Lautrec for that matter, I decided to cheat and take a looksie on youtube on how to beat O&S because they must be waaay harder than all that other stuff. Seemed simple enough. Use this, do that, don't get buttrocuted.
Went through the fog gate with that strategy in mind and... First try, victory! Almost killed myself trying to catch that corkscrew elevator though, because I assume you'll fall down and die if you miss it.

It's kind of an invisible wall if you miss the elevator.

Ein
Feb 27, 2002

ChaosArgate posted:

It's kind of an invisible wall if you miss the elevator.

That's a bit of a surprise. There's no other invisible walls in the game right?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ein posted:

Continuing my playthrough I went from only two deaths panicking through Sen's Fortress to, uh, some... in Anor Londo. God drat archers, god drat camera trying to avoid colliding with level geometry which means my character suddenly turns and dies from a fall.

You can turn this off in the menu.

I did.

Ein posted:

That's a bit of a surprise. There's no other invisible walls in the game right?

Its more that corkscrew has a blocking model that doesn't have room for you to slide down it.

If you miss it from the upper floor you'll fall, but you should be able to survive it if at full health. I tend to just jump down to O&S room from gwyn's bonfire rather than missing the stupid elevator and having to wait.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 21, 2014

Ein
Feb 27, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

You can turn this off in the menu.

I did.

Huh, I'll have to do that then, thanks!

Whoever it was that said the zweihander was good, thank you! I thought it was too slow at first, but when you learn the reach and when to hit it's really, really good. Two handing it with the grass shield and chloranthrophy stamina-ring makes it even better.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I'll be streaming in an hour (7:15 EST)

Watch as I blitz through Anor Londo, then get cockblocked by O&S.

InfiniteNoodles
Jul 9, 2008
Would a divine claymore with a high faith build be a decent plan? I don't really have my head around damage types in this game yet so I'm not sure how good divine weapons are in general.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ein posted:

Huh, I'll have to do that then, thanks!

Whoever it was that said the zweihander was good, thank you! I thought it was too slow at first, but when you learn the reach and when to hit it's really, really good. Two handing it with the grass shield and chloranthrophy stamina-ring makes it even better.

If you want a faster zwei get the claymore, best sword in the whole game.

InfiniteNoodles posted:

Would a divine claymore with a high faith build be a decent plan? I don't really have my head around damage types in this game yet so I'm not sure how good divine weapons are in general.

Sure. Although A +15 Claymore with SLB and high faith would probably be even better, (especially if you put a few points in fth and str both) but you only get 1 cast so whatever. (although even then +15 may outdamage +10 divine, not sure) You could do both except you only get one clay per run, but the bastard sword is extremely similar, and you can grab a second on NG+.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 21, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Divine weapons are alright. They're kinda like Magic weapons (physical damage scaling goes down the toilet, magic damage scales with casting stat) but with less disparity. Physical scaling is a bit better, magic scaling is a bit lower, damage output overall is a little less.

There are some fantabulous weapon buff miracles later on, though, and you can't put those on naturally magical/elemental weapons. I say go +5 divine as soon as possible, fight through the early-middle game with it and revert it into a normal +5 when you can lather your sword with lightning so you can have your +15 cake and eat it too.

Ein
Feb 27, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

If you want a faster zwei get the claymore, best sword in the whole game.

Where do you get that, I haven't found one or seen anyone selling it yet I think?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

It's sitting under the red drake's nose on the bridge.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

scamtank posted:

Divine weapons are alright. They're kinda like Magic weapons (physical damage scaling goes down the toilet, magic damage scales with casting stat) but with less disparity. Physical scaling is a bit better, magic scaling is a bit lower, damage output overall is a little less.

There are some fantabulous weapon buff miracles later on, though, and you can't put those on naturally magical/elemental weapons. I say go +5 divine as soon as possible, fight through the early-middle game with it and revert it into a normal +5 when you can lather your sword with lightning so you can have your +15 cake and eat it too.
If you can get multiples of various weapons, the best way to handle it is to have one +15 (for buffing) and a +10 divine for just generally doing things. If you can't do both, go with the +15.

Ein
Feb 27, 2002

scamtank posted:

It's sitting under the red drake's nose on the bridge.

Dangit. I've avoided that one, is there any way to fight him without cheesing it? I'm not that into flaming infernos.

InfiniteNoodles
Jul 9, 2008

scamtank posted:

That sounds like an excellent suggestion, thanks. Didn't even know I could revert weapons.

Ein posted:

Dangit. I've avoided that one, is there any way to fight him without cheesing it? I'm not that into flaming infernos.

I baited him into jumping down onto the bridge and then rolled past him and sprinted to the bonfire, grabbing it on my way.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Stream is up for anyone bored enough to watch!

:darksouls: up in here!

Sorry for the abrupt end, but my head has been pounding since my eye exam earlier and it just wont quit it. Thanks for watching again folks.

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 22, 2014

Ein
Feb 27, 2002

InfiniteNoodles posted:

I baited him into jumping down onto the bridge and then rolled past him and sprinted to the bonfire, grabbing it on my way.

That seems like a sound strategy, I just now went and arrowed him and then clobbered him and discovered that my character is much more flame retardant than he was at level 12-ish in leather gear. Had to sprint down the stairs and use Estus a couple of times, but it was zweihander supremacy other than that.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've calmed down a bit and am going back to the Tomb of Giants!

https://hitbox.tv/Turtlicious

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I just got summoned around six times to fight Gaping Dragon at SL40. (Anor Londo's infamous archer duo are doing a good job of keeping me out and I wanted to grind up some humanities) I thought for sure 40 would be too high, but apparently not! I'd like to think they liked me accessorizing my pyromancer outfit with an onion helmet and Elite Knight legs.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
So I took my essentially completed pvp char on a run through the Oolacile Township with Pursuers and CMW for the first time and proceeded to go on my longest winstreak ever.

It does exactly what I was hoping for, even people who can dodge it effectively are emptying their stamina bar rolling away from it and leaving themselves wide open for some deep hurting. Several people who opt for the tanking strat just got their stability punched through immediately followed by more deep hurting.

I almost feel bad.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I'm looking to pick this up again and am looking for character advice. Ideally I'd like to try some combination of sword/shield and cleric abilities. I'd love to focus on parrying, but my timing sucks so I can't rely on it. I can only play offline, so I know some covenant unlocked abilities aren't going to be available to me. Any suggestions for build/equipment and/or general advice?

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Loving some jolly cooperation when it comes to OS but i'm getting a bit tired of it. Anywhere else to go to as a level 46 that would get me some summons?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bef posted:

Loving some jolly cooperation when it comes to OS but i'm getting a bit tired of it. Anywhere else to go to as a level 46 that would get me some summons?

Bed of Chaos.

:getin:

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Turtlicious posted:

Bed of Chaos.

:getin:

do that poo poo yourself

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Viperix posted:

I'm looking to pick this up again and am looking for character advice. Ideally I'd like to try some combination of sword/shield and cleric abilities. I'd love to focus on parrying, but my timing sucks so I can't rely on it. I can only play offline, so I know some covenant unlocked abilities aren't going to be available to me. Any suggestions for build/equipment and/or general advice?

Most of the Cleric weapons are the big smashy types (maces and that crazy club Leeroy has), so you'd want lots of strength to go along with your faith anyway. If you feel like really min/maxing take the Master Key and go nab Astora's Straight Sword right as you get to Firelink, then use it to proceed directly to the Catacombs and gank Patches' axe, it's a fantastic Faith weapon. Also push through to Tomb of the Giants and rescue Rhea right after Capra, she's got some pretty sweet miracles for sale after you pull her out of there. If you're stuck offline I don't know if you can get the lightning miracles from the SunBro's covenant, that would be too bad as they're quite nice for Faith builds.

Speaking of TotG, it only took me 2 tries to run down there and grab the Silver Ring. I was messing around just trying to find the best path between the 2nd bonfire and the boss door, and ended up dodging some bonewheels and making it there first try. I had intended to go human and summon Leeroy just for fun, but figured I had nothing to lose so might as well go suicide on Pinwheel to get back up to the bonfire. Surely even Pinwheel can take out a naked lv14 dude, right? Sigh, no, I just locked on to the real one and walked around behind him, R2 smashing with my +2 zwei whenever stamina permitted. I took a single hit from one of his clones, during his death animation. What a chump. He got me back tho by dropping Mother, easily the least useful mask. I was hoping for Father because I'm really hurting for equip load right now, but faster stamina is always nice. But no, I'm stuck with +50 HP until after the bloody Lordvessel and taking out Nito... Pinwheel :argh:

Oh something else cool, the knight in the bonewheel pit actually dropped his axe for me, I've never got one in any of my other playthroughs. Base damage looks nice but I wasn't anticipating having to pump dex to 16... oh well, they tried to give Guts a magic battleaxe in the manga at one point, I'm calling this canon and rolling with it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

gently caress sen's fortress holy poo poo.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

But it's soooo easy...

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Every area in Dark Souls can be a really bad day for someone. I know Sen's inside and out and think it's a fairly trivial thing once you're in the know, but just the other month I spent a solid hour beating my head against it without making any progress. Getting knocked out by blades, repeatedly being owned by the first two snakemen, dying to a lightning bolt stopping my heart through my shield, everything that could've gone wrong did.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I am still constantly surprised by Dark Beads because I've not played much. They are WRECKING MY INVASIONS.

If anybody wants to watch I'm streaming them, since others seem to post it here too. http://hitbox.tv/jeckl. With adventures in the Giant's Tomb

Fingerless Gloves fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 22, 2014

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Hi my name is Doxylamine Succinate, I will be serving you tonight
I think I spend half the time in character creation, because look at this god drat face.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

VelociBacon posted:

Try running through

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

Holy gently caress I hate the Giant's Tomb so much

gently caress IT. Died at Nito, then tried to get my poo poo back and got killed by a sneaky Pinwheel. I'm going back to Dickwraithing in Londo. 75 wins, 35 losses. Time to get to 100.

Fingerless Gloves fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 22, 2014

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you keep getting obliterated by the giant dog skeletons just run like a madman all the way down.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The path to the Silver Serpent Ring also deposits you right past the darkness.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bef posted:

do that poo poo yourself

No, you do it while I stand under the slide and chug 20 estus.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Kay uploaded a death montage after she finished her play through. Its actually remarkably short, I didn't bother counting how many total deaths she had but the video's only like half an hour with 5-15 sec per death, which would put her around 100-150 150-225 total. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHE5gE0H-pU

edit: I can't math today

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 22, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

If I left Anor Londo after fleeing from lance-launching archers, will I have to do the catwalk portion against the Painting Guardians again to hit the stair switch when I return?

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

No, but you should push on because you'll get a useful item for travel very soon. Saves another trip through Sens.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Potsticker posted:

If I left Anor Londo after fleeing from lance-launching archers, will I have to do the catwalk portion against the Painting Guardians again to hit the stair switch when I return?

Yeah, just suck it up and get past the archers ASAP. There's a Bonfire right after them and neat items all about up there. Keep on keepin' on duders, don't give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You can always summon someone who knows how to parry or what have you.

I am pretty sure that some people hang out around there explicitly to help out with the archers.

• Locked thread