Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
I'm always afraid of the auto-focus motor loving up before any real external damage due to a bump, for any camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Costello Jello posted:

I'm always afraid of the auto-focus motor loving up before any real external damage due to a bump, for any camera.

Thats what happened to my DP1.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I ended up getting a used XF1 off Amazon for $140 in "like new" condition. The mechanical zoom is really convenient, and the interface is easy enough to use (compared to my 2007ish Powershot) that I kind of figured out how cameras work from playing with the settings for aperture and shutter speed etc. The one thing that bothers me with the interface is there are a number of settings with names that I think Fuji made up that aren't explained properly in the manual. Like even if you just want it on auto, there are separate "auto" and "EXR auto" settings on the dial.

Also, the aperture drops really fast as soon as you start to zoom in. I'm assuming it's a design tradeoff of some sort but its kind of confusing.

Cat glamour shots:

Some sort of gimmick mode that simulates more depth of field:

Trying it at night with higher ISO, it works well enough zoomed out, at least compared to other cameras I've owned. The automatic mode actually made this a lot brighter than it looked to me.

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 13, 2014

Chernori
Jan 3, 2010

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Also, the aperture drops really fast as soon as you start to zoom in. I'm assuming it's a design tradeoff of some sort but its kind of confusing.

I'm not an expert of photography, but I'm pretty sure that's true for most lenses that zoom. I think the f-stop number is a combination of the focal length and the aperture: as the lens zooms, it changes the focal length while the aperture remains constant. The result is that the lowest f-stops aren't available when you've zoomed in, even though your aperture is still wide open.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Chernori posted:

I'm not an expert of photography, but I'm pretty sure that's true for most lenses that zoom. I think the f-stop number is a combination of the focal length and the aperture: as the lens zooms, it changes the focal length while the aperture remains constant. The result is that the lowest f-stops aren't available when you've zoomed in, even though your aperture is still wide open.

This is exactly right. A P&S with a constant aperture across its zoom range wouldn't be feasible in any way. The glass would either be enormous or terrible.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

DJExile posted:

This is exactly right. A P&S with a constant aperture across its zoom range wouldn't be feasible in any way. The glass would either be enormous or terrible.

Fuji X10/X20

The camera itself is rather large, but not because of the lens.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

grack posted:

Fuji X10/X20

The camera itself is rather large, but not because of the lens.

Doesn't the aperture still drop to f/2.8 on the long end though?

E: I mean yeah it's not crazy far or anything but it does still drop.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There are some crazy fast P&S lenses out there, I think the lx7 is something like 1.4-2.0, but I can't think of any with a constant aperture till you get to bridge cameras and the like.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

DJExile posted:

There's also the RX10 which is f/2.8 all the way from 24mm to 200mm but like you said, it's pretty huge glass for a P&S/bridge camera.

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 17, 2014

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

My mom wants a P&S with a viewfinder, optical or electronic. So what are my options? I've narrowed down the selection to the Canon G15 or G16, the Fujifilm X20, the Olympus Stylus 1, the Olympus Stylus ZX-2 with the VF-3 external EVF, and the Panasonic LX7 with it's add-on EVF. The Sony RX10, as amazing as it seems, is off the menu due to its size and price. I still need to ask her if external EVFs are an option, what focal length range she wants, and size restrictions but at the moment I'd say it's a tie between the ZX-2 and the G15 or G16.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 17, 2014

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Edward IV posted:

My mom wants a P&S with a viewfinder, optical or electronic. So what are my options? I've narrowed down the selection to the Canon G15 or G16, the Fujifilm X20, the Olympus Stylus 1, the Olympus Stylus ZX-2 with the VF-3 external EVF, and the Panasonic LX7 with it's add-on EVF. The Sony RX10, as amazing as it seems, is off the menu due to its size and price. I still need to ask her if external EVFs are an option, what focal length range she wants, and size restrictions but at the moment I'd say it's a tie between the ZX-2 and the G15 or G16.

Nikon P7800 also has an EVF. On the cheap side, Canon A1400 has a tiny OVF.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I dropped my fcuking S90 and bent the metal surround of the front element. Not much - just enough to prevent the lens from retracting fully and therefore breaking the entire camera.

FML

Something tells me that a repair will cost more than the camera is worth. Maybe I'll try tapping it with a bit of wood.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

spog posted:

I dropped my fcuking S90 and bent the metal surround of the front element. Not much - just enough to prevent the lens from retracting fully and therefore breaking the entire camera.

FML

Something tells me that a repair will cost more than the camera is worth. Maybe I'll try tapping it with a bit of wood.

If you've managed to drop the camera on the lens, there's a good chance that more than just the front element is bent.

I mean, go nuts but it's pretty unlikely you'll actually be able to fix it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

grack posted:

If you've managed to drop the camera on the lens, there's a good chance that more than just the front element is bent.

I mean, go nuts but it's pretty unlikely you'll actually be able to fix it.

I haven't done a focus chart test yet, but all does seem to be okay. it's just the bezel is bent juust enough (at a join) to catch and prevent closure. I could probably take it down with a nailfile and it will work.

The galling part is that to get it fixed properly would probably require a complete rebuild with a new lense, motor and sensor.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

I need a compact pocketsized camera that can shoot in RAW and work decently in low-light. I know I can't expect miracles for low light but I was wondering which are the ones that can handle it the best?

And I really prefer viewfinders, but reading reviews it seems most are pretty crappy anyway so I'm not sure about that anymore.

Something like the Lumix DMC-TZ60 would be a great form factor, but seems like the viewfinder is crap (though I guess I can do without) and an aperture of 3.3 looks not that great for low-light?
I used to have a Lumix LX1 and while I liked having something portable, it was pretty crappy in low light. Has it improved significantly in the LX7?

I'm at the point in researching my options where I'm drowning in model numbers and specs :-/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sterf posted:

I need a compact pocketsized camera that can shoot in RAW and work decently in low-light. I know I can't expect miracles for low light but I was wondering which are the ones that can handle it the best?

And I really prefer viewfinders, but reading reviews it seems most are pretty crappy anyway so I'm not sure about that anymore.

Something like the Lumix DMC-TZ60 would be a great form factor, but seems like the viewfinder is crap (though I guess I can do without) and an aperture of 3.3 looks not that great for low-light?
I used to have a Lumix LX1 and while I liked having something portable, it was pretty crappy in low light. Has it improved significantly in the LX7?

I'm at the point in researching my options where I'm drowning in model numbers and specs :-/

What's your budget and what are you trying to shoot? A small mirrorless body with a fast prime may work.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Sterf posted:

The LX1 is 9 years old at this point so it's useless as a baseline for comparison to anything current.

Budget is number 1

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Well, budget is about 400 euros, though it could go to 500 euros if it really made a difference.
It would be used as a regular point and shoot, for travel, but also in the evenings (for social stuff, read: bars) without flash in less than stellar lighting conditions. Again, I don't expect miracles for that, but decent would be great.

Sterf fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 31, 2014

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Sony RX100

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah the RX100 is phenomenal, very good in low light.

E: Grack I laugh at that av every drat time.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Yeah... I'm probably gonna lose it due to a :toxx: as well

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Looking at it in reviews now, and yes seems perfect. Somehow I overlooked that one, maybe I was too focused on viewfinders :) Always hate researching stuff to buy like this, I got a few dozen tabs open and was getting pretty overwhelmed by choices/specs. Figure I am just going for this one.

Thanks!

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Buy the rumored Canon G17.

viewfinder
1" sensor

grack
Jan 10, 2012

whatever7 posted:

Buy the rumored Canon G17.

viewfinder
1" sensor

"Compact pocketsized" was one of the requirements.

Canon's G-series cameras are many things but compact they are not.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

grack posted:

"Compact pocketsized" was one of the requirements.

Canon's G-series cameras are many things but compact they are not.

He wants viewfinder. At least is compact-er than G1X Mark II.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, pocket sized really is a big requirement. Already got a DSLR for instance but need something to always carry with me that isn't a cellphone camera.

Also, something that is on the market right now, I'm impatient :)

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!
Is it possible to get a camera of some sort that will take lowish light pictures along these lines with a $275 budget? I mostly use an iphone5 and an older olympus vr340 right now but it is very time consuming to get the focus correct with the flash off on the point and shoot. Size is not an issue as I don't need to pocket it or travel with it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

king of the bongo posted:

Is it possible to get a camera of some sort that will take lowish light pictures along these lines with a $275 budget? I mostly use an iphone5 and an older olympus vr340 right now but it is very time consuming to get the focus correct with the flash off on the point and shoot. Size is not an issue as I don't need to pocket it or travel with it.

Buy a used DSLR and and off camera flash and you'll have a much easier time.

e. mostly the dslr

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Despair posted:

Buy a used DSLR and and off camera flash and you'll have a much easier time.

e. mostly the dslr

He probably just need a product light tent kit, a tripod with a "decent" camera. (Of course, any camera with a hhotshoe or flash sync will have to be decent. IMO you probably can do it with a high end P&S)

Also, decent amount of post processing.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 1, 2014

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Sterf posted:

I don't know if I can still help you but I recently got a Fuji X20 with which I did this, handheld, ISO 3200:

Modena by night di maxmars70, su Flickr

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

maxmars posted:

I don't know if I can still help you but I recently got a Fuji X20 with which I did this, handheld, ISO 3200:

Modena by night di maxmars70, su Flickr

Thanks, but got the RX100 already, which is pretty amazing by the way. And yeah, it was photo's like that I was aiming for. Haven't tested it fully yet but Im sure it could certainly get the same results. Was pretty surprised with the low lighting performance, but then again the last compact I had was an LX1. That X20 certainly does look sexier though, and even has a viewfinder :) I actually put my eye to the drat camera's non-existing viewfinder a few times today out of habit :)

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Sterf posted:

Thanks, but got the RX100 already, which is pretty amazing by the way. And yeah, it was photo's like that I was aiming for. Haven't tested it fully yet but Im sure it could certainly get the same results. Was pretty surprised with the low lighting performance, but then again the last compact I had was an LX1. That X20 certainly does look sexier though, and even has a viewfinder :) I actually put my eye to the drat camera's non-existing viewfinder a few times today out of habit :)

Enjoy your new toy, Sony compact cameras are awesome (my dad has one, loves it).
You can fit an EVF into the RX100, might be worth a closer look?
Anyway looking forward to your pics :))))

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

maxmars posted:

Enjoy your new toy, Sony compact cameras are awesome (my dad has one, loves it).
You can fit an EVF into the RX100, might be worth a closer look?
Anyway looking forward to your pics :))))

drat, I never even considered that possibility, thanks. Would add a lot of bulk though. I'm pretty happy with it as it is at the moment, fits nicely into my pocket.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Sterf posted:

drat, I never even considered that possibility, thanks. Would add a lot of bulk though. I'm pretty happy with it as it is at the moment, fits nicely into my pocket.

Not to mention the EVF costs as much as the camera.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

Not to mention the EVF costs as much as the camera.

Yes, just noticed that minor detail. What the hell. gently caress that, I'll learn to do without.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Man that's not cheap :-O
I would expect a great OVF + EVF for that price.
On the bright side, you can probably use it on future Sony cameras?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm a complete philistine, so bear with me :downs:

I'm thinking about getting a refurbished Fujifilm XF1 before I take a trip to Maine this summer, because I'd like to be able to take pictures of things with a better device than my smartphone. I'm mostly picking this particular camera because I think it looks super classy, is (refurbished) in my price range, and seems to have reviewed okay.

Am I shooting myself in the foot by choosing this camera?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

From what little I know, they shoot well but battery lives are on the short end.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
http://slickdeals.net/f/6830074-canon-powershot-s110-12-1mp-digital-camera-black-pro-100-printer-paper-16gb-sd-card-case-198-fs-ar-ac

$198 for a Canon S110, Pro-100, 13x19 paper, a lovely case, and a 16GB card after rebate. Yeah, that's a pretty amazing deal.

Just bought one so I can have a ~$50-80 Canon S110 after I sell the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm a complete philistine, so bear with me :downs:

I'm thinking about getting a refurbished Fujifilm XF1 before I take a trip to Maine this summer, because I'd like to be able to take pictures of things with a better device than my smartphone. I'm mostly picking this particular camera because I think it looks super classy, is (refurbished) in my price range, and seems to have reviewed okay.

Am I shooting myself in the foot by choosing this camera?

The XF1 is an excellent camera.

But yes, a second battery would be a good idea.

• Locked thread