Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
You get a Strength Sphere for it; it turns a blank node into +4 Strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Squallege posted:

Is the plot Blitzball game even winnable? I've been at this forever and went into triple overtime.

Sure it is but you'll only get a Strength sphere and a more cheerful cutscene afterwards.

It's a nice challenge but no need to kill yourself over it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Squallege posted:

Is the plot Blitzball game even winnable? I've been at this forever and went into triple overtime.

Endorph posted:

It isn't literally impossible but it takes a lot of doing and I'm not sure there's a reward for it.

I did it on my first try. :shobon:

I left everyone on Auto. I passed the ball whenever I could. After the half it was 0-0, I got Wakka in close and scored with a Venom Shot.

I guess I got really lucky, or maybe it's a lot harder if you try and manually control your guys?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
You got crazy lucky, Auto is dumber than poo poo.

Also the blitzoff is random and if the Goers ever get the ball first, you pretty much lose unless you score an extra time.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I finally won! gently caress blitzball forever!

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Endorph posted:

It isn't literally impossible but it takes a lot of doing and I'm not sure there's a reward for it.

In addition to the other replies, one of the cutscenes after the game has one of the characters holding a crystal trophy, or something. I don't remember if any of the dialogue was different other than that. I remember doing this at least once, but it was so long ago I don't remember if it was actually hard or what I did. Is it possible to have Jecht shot by this point?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The only thing that changes in the cutscene is Wakka holding the trophy. Also, Jecht Shot is pretty much the only way to win at that match anyway, along with getting lucky with getting the ball and whether or not the AI will gently caress up when you don't have it.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
There were seriously moments where my teammate just spun around in circles if the triangles are to be believed. I like to think that the laughing scene is my reward.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Man, it's still hilarious how Seymour is the most obviously evil dude ever but almost everyone acts confused when Tidus gets suspicious. There's the ominous music that plays whenever he's around, the really creepy way he talks (especially to Yuna), his stupid physically impossible hair, the gross veins in his face and the fact that his aeon is a mummy.

It's pretty obvious that Yuna is supposed to die when she beats Sin. I guess I didn't pick up on it because I was twelve when I played this game.

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013
So i've just picked up Rikku and i'm at Guadosalam. I had planned to grind a bit to get her some stats, but the enemies on the road leading to Guadosalam don't seem to offer much. Without spoiling (It's been a long time since i've played this), is it worth doing whatever I need to do in Guidoville before I start trying to ramp up her stats, or is this the best i'll have for a while?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Don't grind. The game is balanced around not grinding, at least until the endgame. Rikku's stats are perfectly fine when you pick her up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Seejay posted:

So i've just picked up Rikku and i'm at Guadosalam. I had planned to grind a bit to get her some stats, but the enemies on the road leading to Guadosalam don't seem to offer much. Without spoiling (It's been a long time since i've played this), is it worth doing whatever I need to do in Guidoville before I start trying to ramp up her stats, or is this the best i'll have for a while?

The best place to grind her some levels is the Thunder Plains. She doesn't really need to be grinded because of how her sphere area is set up (in both versions). Just switch her in and Steal every fight (which you want to do anyway).

That's my biggest complaint with FFX, the battle system is crazy fun but is bogged down by the whole "oh, better switch everyone in at least once per battle so I can get XP" nonsense.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

AngryRobotsInc posted:

There's a couple cut off points where you can't backtrack, but I'm pretty sure the Thunder Plains is one of the points you can get all the way back, and it doesn't cut off again so long as you don't go past the Macalania Agency. It's how you can get one of the Jecht Spheres without having to fight Dark Valefor.
Ooops looks like your right!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh yeah, something some people don't pick up on immediately in FFX: try to have every character do something in every battle, even if it's just tossing a potion or defending for a turn. AP doesn't get split at all, so if a character sits out a fight it just means that they miss out on the AP.

Also if you really want to sperg out, put your three fastest characters (usually Rikku, Tidus, and Yuna) in the active slots after each battle. That way you can you can tag them out for Lulu or Auron to get rid of enemies before they have a chance to act.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Also keep in mind you can just stock up Sphere Levels on Kimahri until you get Level 1 key spheres and then decide what to do with him, since he doesn't fill any unique role you can literally never use him in battle (aside from the abovementioned "switch in and Lancet/whatever").

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

When does the option to backtrack in X come up? I just noticed that I forgot the besaid destruction sphere puzzle thing. I'm just a little past the blitzball tourney. I don't even remember being able to backtrack when I played it a decade ago...Shows how much I retained. :v:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

When does the option to backtrack in X come up? I just noticed that I forgot the besaid destruction sphere puzzle thing. I'm just a little past the blitzball tourney. I don't even remember being able to backtrack when I played it a decade ago...Shows how much I retained. :v:

You can walk all the way back to Besaid at any point you want, really. If you're gonna run all the way back to Besaid, you might want to wait until you're through Macalania woods, since you may want to run back to get one of Auron's spheres at the same time.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

How could you guys possibly not get the Destruction Sphere Treasure in Besaid? It barely qualifies as a puzzle and is more like a tutorial. :psyduck:

Anyway I'm having a lot of fun with this, the International version seems much different than the original US. I never remember getting so many weapon drops from fiends.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bradzilla posted:

How could you guys possibly not get the Destruction Sphere Treasure in Besaid? It barely qualifies as a puzzle and is more like a tutorial. :psyduck:

Anyway I'm having a lot of fun with this, the International version seems much different than the original US. I never remember getting so many weapon drops from fiends.

It's pretty trivial to not realize you can pull the stone from the door and just accidentally finish the dungeon, especially if it is your first time playing. The tutorial does a bad job of explaining what Destruction Spheres are.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The main puzzle in Besaid's Temple is so easy that I didn't even realize there was a Destruction Sphere, and the game forces you to continue as soon as you open the door instead of letting your explore. It's pretty lame.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

precision posted:

I don't think you can even call Tifa's outfit a "character design". She looks like "random woman working out at a gym".

That is not actually bad design for Tifa all things considered. Her outfit is simple and kind of plain, a lot like Tifa herself, really, magnanimous cleavage aside.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh yeah, something some people don't pick up on immediately in FFX: try to have every character do something in every battle, even if it's just tossing a potion or defending for a turn. AP doesn't get split at all, so if a character sits out a fight it just means that they miss out on the AP.

Also if you really want to sperg out, put your three fastest characters (usually Rikku, Tidus, and Yuna) in the active slots after each battle. That way you can you can tag them out for Lulu or Auron to get rid of enemies before they have a chance to act.

That is what I have been doing since starting. I just finished Home where it was a little harder since You don't have Yuna to heal after every battle and the Guado kept confusing one of my charaters making it hard to switch everyone in

My starting team is usually Yuna, Rikku and Lulu. Rikku steals and the other two defend of Lulu cast a spell on an elemental based enemy since most feinds will be taken out with one shot by the guys.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Fister Roboto posted:

I'll raise you one step further and suggest you should swap your characters in to build their overdrive counts: for example if yuna doesn't have comrade yet swap her in just before the enemy turns (for the don tonberry trick) or make sure lulu is in at the end of the battle until she gets victor (so you can use overdrive->ap with victor while you are capturing monsters)

Feral
Jun 13, 2003

My god, look at this place. It's like a museum of failure!
Playing through FFX-2 on the Vita. I've had Yuna equipped with the Psychic dressphere most of the game, and occasionally in battle she'll let loose with some sort of Japanese phrase. But it sounds like Hedy Burress's voice, so it doesn't seem to be a mistake. What's going on there?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Psychic dressphere, visor aside, looks a bit like a Japanese school uniform. It seems like it might be a reference to a trope in 90s anime too, so that's probably why.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Yeah gently caress Home. I don't remember getting perma-confused and having my pretty decent leveled characters beating the poo poo out of each other til they die.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

ShadeofDante posted:

Yeah gently caress Home. I don't remember getting perma-confused and having my pretty decent leveled characters beating the poo poo out of each other til they die.
Do you have any Petrify Grenades or Stonestrike/touch weapons? If so now is the time to cheese.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mateo360 posted:

That is what I have been doing since starting. I just finished Home where it was a little harder since You don't have Yuna to heal after every battle and the Guado kept confusing one of my charaters making it hard to switch everyone in

This is why you give Kimahri Cure and a decent amount of MP. By that time, you should be able to have Rikku learn Cura or Curaga as well.

If you're using the Expert grid it barely costs you anything to put Cure/Esuna on Lulu, too.

edit: And you should have stolen a metric crapton of Hi-Potions by then too?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Feral posted:

Playing through FFX-2 on the Vita. I've had Yuna equipped with the Psychic dressphere most of the game, and occasionally in battle she'll let loose with some sort of Japanese phrase. But it sounds like Hedy Burress's voice, so it doesn't seem to be a mistake. What's going on there?

She's doing that Vanille moe thing maybe.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Is it just me or does X HD have some really obnoxious motion blur going on? It's really hard to look at in motion, really jittery looking almost.

MarioTeachesWiping fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 24, 2014

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't grind. The game is balanced around not grinding, at least until the endgame. Rikku's stats are perfectly fine when you pick her up.

My only real worry is that her hp is kinda low. Luckily she starts with a few hp spheres near her and I've grabbed a couple already. I wouldn't mind her having more, but I suppose that's always the case before max.

Out of interest, what have people been doing with Kimahri? I've managed to find a use for him as kind of a troubleshooter. Steal, black and white magic (first tier), and he's picked up Dark Attack too. He's not great at anything, but with solid hp added into the mix, I'm starting to like him a lot more.

Edit: Spelling is hard.

Rahzmataz fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 24, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

bradzilla posted:

I accidentally finished the dungeon, thought "wait gently caress turn around" then realized you can't go back because the game tells you you're not a guardian yet.

I also missed the Kilika one for the same reason so maybe I'm an idiot. But now I'm reading that I can't backtrack until Macalania, at which point I have to go allllll the way back to the beginning of the game for that treasure and the jecht sphere if I don't want to bother with the dark aeons. Why did they not make those optional.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You can backtrack before Macalania, you just have to backtrack twice if you A. Go Back before Spheriform, B. Care about Auron's Overdrives, and C. Can't wait to get Auron's super duper Overdrive until you can beat Dark Valefor. Pretty sure you can head back after Luca's all wrapped up.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I'm pretty sure you can't backtrack into cloisters of trials to give destruction sphere treasures another shot, until the late-game, however. I think you get one or another bullshit excuse of why you can't re-enter, for each temple.

That said, this falls under the case of "if you don't mind not getting Anima until you've beaten Dark Valefor and/or Dark Shiva" depending on what you missed. Granted, Anima's a more compelling motivation than Auron's last overdrive. In the original, this was no big deal - the ability to redo the trials came at the same point in the plot as the ability to get Anima in the first place, so whatever.

Making Dark Valefor, Dark Shiva, and Dark Bahamut unavoidable fights (adding insult to injury, in places you'd actually potentially have reason to visit anyway) is not exactly the best design decision in the world, when it comes to "how to implement difficult optional content". The others are better in that you can absolutely avoid them if you want to.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Seejay posted:

My only real worry is that her hp is kinda low.

Don't worry about this, at all, seriously. Two dungeons after she joined, without doing any extra grinding, and she has the third-highest HP of everyone (Wakka and Auron have the most).

She also can easily get to Curaga faster than Yuna, and the -aga elemental spells faster than Lulu.

She's a beast, especially her Overdrives. Much like how Yuffie killed Sephiroth in like 6 turns when I first beat FF7, Rikku is a monster under that chirpy exterior. :getin:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Seejay posted:

My only real worry is that her hp is kinda low. Luckily she starts with a few hp spheres near her and I've grabbed a couple already. I wouldn't mind her having more, but I suppose that's always the case before max.

Out of interest, what have people been doing with Kimahri? I've managed to find a use for him as kind of a troubleshooter. Steal, black and white magic (first tier), and he's picked up Dark Attack too. He's not great at anything, but with solid hp added into the mix, I'm starting to like him a lot more.

Edit: Spelling is hard.

Best options for Kimahri are Tidus, Wakka and Rikku's paths. Kimahri can get to Rikku's much earlier than she can, picking up Steal and Use, and from there deviate into Yuna's, getting Magic, Agility as well as Curaga, Reflect and Holy. This makes for a good utility Kimahri and is also the best option for strengthening Lancet and his Overdrives. He also benefits from the huge dump of HP loads at the start of Rikku's grid.

Tidus' path nets Kimahri Strength and Agility, and all of Tidus' most useful stuff, like Haste, Delay Attack/Buster, and an extra person to use Cheer. Eventually Kimahri becomes an all-purpose physical attacker; fast and strong enough to hit wolves, has Lancet for elements and flans, Piercing on his weapons for shelled creatures. Eyeballs are a pain til he gets enough Accuracy, but aside from that, he's a solid physical character who doesn't have the problem of running out of MP like Tidus. His Overdrives don't get anywhere useful, though.

Wakka's is the most balanced option, offering a good mix of HP, Strength, Magic and Accuracy. While Wakka burns out his MP using his Dark Attack variants quickly, Kimahri has much more MP and can Lancet for more. Like the Tidus path, this makes Kimahri a strong all-around attacker, with the benefit of picking up enough Accuracy for eyeballs, and you can also jump into Auron's or Lulu's path once you hit Spherimorph to essentially make a second Auron/Lulu. The flipside is that Kimahri gets very little useful abilities out of Wakka's path unless you jump over to Auron/Lulu's, and his Agility is lower than the other two options.

I don't recommend Lulu's; it's dependent on getting Black Magic to be useful and Kimahri will learn them at a much slower rate than Lulu herself. If you really want to make Kimahri a Black Mage, go through Wakka's and slide in once you hit Spherimorph.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
The new psychic dressphere is insanely strong, particularly the move that lets you take out an enemy in one hit (telekinesis I think). It looks and acts a lot like the blue magic Quistis got in FFVIII that let you farm the toughest monsters in the game by killing them in one hit. If you level it up some more there are abilities to absorb fire, ice, lightning and water damage.

I am struggling with hard mode of the creature creator tournament though, everything seems to hit really hard and/or petrify me.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
I'm curious to know what was added to this game, if anything. I have already bought it and have played it a bit but I don't notice anything different in regards to FFX. I am fine with the buy either way because I never played FFX-2 and saw this as a good chance to do so but I am finding it hard to get info as to what was added apart from new music.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Did they ever patch out the glitch that makes Blitzball easy as pie? Where you score a goal and then just hide behind your own goal and nobody will confront you and you wait until the time runs out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Did they ever patch out the glitch that makes Blitzball easy as pie? Where you score a goal and then just hide behind your own goal and nobody will confront you and you wait until the time runs out?

Man I hope not. I'm actually going to play the game this time! Speaking of the minigames, have any of them been "improved" at all? I never did get Tidus' ultimate weapon in the original release because i just could not beat 0.0.0 on the race. I could get 0.0.0 but never beat it. Also I noticed in the Thunder Plains, the lightning seems to come very, very quickly now. Was that sped up or am I just not remembering the pace of it?