Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster
It would be a way to make R+L=J actually mean something. Some northern swamp lord saying Jon is a Targ means nothing when you have no power, but if he's the Pope and has a religious army well there you go.

That said there's no way it's Reed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Mike N Eich posted:

What if being resurrected by R'hllor didn't affect Catelyn at all? What if she's literally of the same mind she was the moment before she was murdered? Bear in mind this is a woman who believes all her children are dead, her husband murdered, by the Freys/Lannisters. She has good reason to suspect Jaime Lannister helped plot the Red Wedding, given Roose's last words to Robb, and to think that Brienne may have forsworn her vows.

If Catelyn had survived the wedding unscathed she may have very well undertaken the same actions as she has as a revenant.

I believe this is the case. Dundarion's only stated side effect was that he had a tendency to forget things from his former life. But he was still essentially the same person. Cat is just a super pissed broken version of her former self. She lives only for revenge over what happened to her family. She would be doing the same even if she did somehow manage to legitimately survive the red wedding.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Pretty sure Reed isn't gunna be the pope, his kids are totally into all that Old Gods mysticism poo poo. He's a northern man.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jsoh posted:

Pretty sure Reed isn't gunna be the pope, his kids are totally into all that Old Gods mysticism poo poo. He's a northern man.

As mentioned in that link, he could just be faking, or he could interpret the Old Gods such that the Seven are some of them (similar to the Faceless Men and the Gods of Death).

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Well, one needn't be truly religious to hold a position of religious power. There's not enough evidence for me to say I really buy this theory, but I don't think anything makes it impossible so far.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The Reeds inhabit the Neck, which is the divider between the North and the South. It's possible they practice the faith of the Seven, or have some weird hybrid thing going on.

Regardless, we better see Howland one way or another in the next book. I feel like we've been blue-balled on his character for way too long.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Based on how one of is kids has similar abilities to the Children of the Forest, i'm pretty sure the Reeds are solid Old Gods worshipers.

I actually always felt that the Reeds lived in very close to the kind of life that the First Men had when they and the Children lived together. Hell. i'd not be surprised if the last of the Children that lived south of the wall lived in their territory.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
The whole dust-up about Jeyne Westerling's hips makes me dismiss theories based on Martin's physical descriptions.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
The heir in the north theories died when Talisa died on the show.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Gianthogweed posted:

I believe this is the case. Dundarion's only stated side effect was that he had a tendency to forget things from his former life. But he was still essentially the same person. Cat is just a super pissed broken version of her former self. She lives only for revenge over what happened to her family. She would be doing the same even if she did somehow manage to legitimately survive the red wedding.

Likewise, I don't think her arc is over. It's important to remember too that Book Catelyn was nowhere near as vengeful a person than the show version. She was the one person who wanted repeatedly to make peace with the Lannisters and saw that the whole King in the North business was a terrible idea. I think a lot of people read the Stoneheart section in AFFC as her turning the Brotherhood evil, but seriously the BWB have always been full of judgmental killers all too happy to convict people on only rumors and reputation. The only difference between the Hound's meeting with them and Brienne's was that Beric wasn't around to hold them back. Catelyn is not unreasonable, but she doesn't have a "knight's honor" and has had a pattern of blaming the wrong person (Ned for Jon Snow, Tyrion for Bran, and Jaime for the Red Wedding).

And narratively, either Brienne or Jaime is going to meet Sansa at some point and it's a lot more interesting if that conversation involves telling her that Catelyn is still alive.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Reed's purpose isn't to convince the whole world of R+L=J, it's to tell Jon about it (and also at the same time hand him the royal proclamation naming him Jon Stark and heir to the Throne of Winter). This isn't complicated.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

CapnAndy posted:

Reed's purpose isn't to convince the whole world of R+L=J, it's to tell Jon about it (and also at the same time hand him the royal proclamation naming him Jon Stark and heir to the Throne of Winter). This isn't complicated.

Has the show even mentioned Howland Reed? I know his kids have a very truncated part in Bran's story-arc, but I don't remember them talking about their dad.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

Gianthogweed posted:

Has the show even mentioned Howland Reed? I know his kids have a very truncated part in Bran's story-arc, but I don't remember them talking about their dad.

They do early in the third season. They don't say much about him, though, beyond that he cried when he heard Ned died. That's about it, really.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Tons of new footage here. Two weeks to go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Wv1sPygc4

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I like Tormund's new costume at 1:10.

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014

CapnAndy posted:

Why are people so hung up about that theory when Jon obviously isn't going to be king (except maybe the Night King).

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
People are so sure about R+L=J that I bet GRUMM changed the whole plot just to make it false.

EDIT: and that's why now he dont know what to do about the main plot and introduced Aegon (so there can be a Dany vs Targ Prince)

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

It wasn't complicated...

But the delivery of the proclamation never happened because the two people delivering it failed to not go missing and be presumed dead. [the fact that the proclamation didn't even happen in the show suggests that this side-arc is irrelevant and doesn't lead anywhere anyway]

Also, Jon died.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

When I first heard R + L = J I thought it was a silly stretch that the craziest of fans latched on to, but re-reading the first book with that theory in mind made it mind numbingly obvious.

I still think it'll be the case. I'd like to think GRRM knows better than to throw away such a central plot point, and I see Aegon serving a different purpose than Jon would serve under such a scenario.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Steve2911 posted:

I still think it'll be the case. I'd like to think GRRM knows better than to throw away such a central plot point, and I see Aegon serving a different purpose than Jon would serve under such a scenario.

http://www.adriasnews.com/2012/10/george-r-r-martin-interview.html posted:

Do you use to check the Internet forums in order to see the predictions made by your fans?
I am aware of the principal Internet forums about A Song of Ice and Fire and I really used to look at the American and English groups. Nowadays, the most important site is Westeros, but I started to feel uncomfortable and I thought it would be a better idea not to get to these sides. The fans use to come up with theories; lots of them are just speculative but some of them are in the right way. Before the Internet, one reader could guess the ending you wanna do for your novel, but the other 10.000 wouldn’t know anything and they would be surprised. However, now, those 10.000 people use the Internet and read the right theories. They say: “Oh God, the butler did it!”, to use an example of a mystery novel. Then, you think: “I have to change the ending! The maiden would be the criminal!” To my mind that way is a disaster because if you are doing well you work, the books are full of clues that point to the butler doing it and help you to figure up the butler did it, but if you change the ending to point the maiden, the clues make no sense anymore; they are wrong or are lies, and I am not a liar.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

quote:

They say: “Oh God, the butler did it!”, to use an example of a mystery novel. Then, you think: “I have to change the ending! The maiden would be the criminal!” To my mind that way is a disaster because if you are doing well you work, the books are full of clues that point to the butler doing it and help you to figure up the butler did it, but if you change the ending to point the maiden, the clues make no sense anymore; they are wrong or are lies, and I am not a liar.

Well that explains a lot.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Right, supporting the idea that he's sticking with his original plan.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I don't think he would change the story after everyone figured things out. When I initially brought it up, I was more of the opinion that it probably knocked out his motivation to keep writing the books.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

BlueChocolate posted:

Why are people so hung up about that theory when Jon obviously isn't going to be king (except maybe the Night King).

The importance of R+L=J is that it means Jon is a viable candidate for AA, not so he can go on to become Good King Jon.

The Ghost of High Heart once prophesized that the Prince that was Promised would be born from the lineage of Aerys II and Rhaella. Jon qualifies through Rhaegar.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Do we know if Episode 9 of this season will only be the battle at Castle Black, like Blackwater in season 2?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The one thing that always bothered me about R + L = J was why didn't Ned just loving tell Catelyn? They obviously loved each other and supported each other in decision making, and Ned is constantly described as a faithful and loyal husband. All he had to do was take her aside at night when no one is around and be like "yo btw my sister loved Rhaegar and this is her kid, not my bastard. We'll pretend he is to keep heat off of him but don't be a massive thundercunt to him all his life, ok?"

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

In It For The Tank posted:

The importance of R+L=J is that it means Jon is a viable candidate for AA, not so he can go on to become Good King Jon.

The Ghost of High Heart once prophesized that the Prince that was Promised would be born from the lineage of Aerys II and Rhaella. Jon qualifies through Rhaegar.

I thought Jenny of Oldstones phrophesized that...or is she the same person as GoHH?

e. Sorry - Jenny was acquainted with a woods witch who made the prophesy. I assume this witch is GoHH and thus a COF explaining the time span.

ShaqDiesel fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 24, 2014

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Doltos posted:

The one thing that always bothered me about R + L = J was why didn't Ned just loving tell Catelyn? They obviously loved each other and supported each other in decision making, and Ned is constantly described as a faithful and loyal husband. All he had to do was take her aside at night when no one is around and be like "yo btw my sister loved Rhaegar and this is her kid, not my bastard. We'll pretend he is to keep heat off of him but don't be a massive thundercunt to him all his life, ok?"

Promise me

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Doltos posted:

Ned doesn't make the best decisions. It is known.

He also didn't know her for very long when they were first married, so I don't know how safe it would be to tell her "Yo, we have a potential pretender to the throne hanging with us in our castle, fyi." General Targ sentiment back then was in the shitter, so saying that outloud to someone when you can't be sure about who is listening (and lets me honest, Ned would probably be terrified about Varys' ability to find out information) would be highly dangerous.

jsoh posted:

Promise me

Also this.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Because Ned is loyal and honorable to a fault.

L: "Don't tell anyone. Promise."
N: "Fine."

~Years later~

C: "Jon, I hate you."
J: "The gently caress did I do?"

N: "Nope, no injustice here."

edit: whoa, late to the punch

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

radlum posted:

Do we know if Episode 9 of this season will only be the battle at Castle Black, like Blackwater in season 2?

I can't point to any specific articles or anything but yes, I know for a fact I've seen quotes stating that it's been confirmed to be the entire episode like Blackwater was.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Doltos posted:

Jsoh is probably right that keeping Jon's identity a secret was probably a tenet of Ned's promise to Lyanna, and Ned took the oath literally.

However, if you want a more detailed response, there's a part in AGOT where Ned thinks that some secrets are too dangerous to share, even with the ones you love. If Ned told Catelyn, he couldn't guarantee what she would do with that information. What happens in 50 years when Ned dies of a stress-related heart attack, could he trust Catelyn to not turn her back on Jon without Ned around to moderate her behavior? Would Catelyn suffer her family's life constantly living under the threat of Robert's wrath should Jon's real identity ever be discovered? Probably not.

Its a drat good thing Ned never did tell her. If Catelyn ever felt her children were in danger because of Jon she would have sold him out in a heartbeat. The series has taught us that Catelyn is prone to rash and reckless decisions where her family is concerned.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Max posted:

Ned doesn't make the best decisions. It is known.

ALL HE HAD TO DO WAS NOT TELL EVERYONE ABOUT JOFFREY BEING AN INCEST KID

I hate when main characters make bone headed decisions even if it does result in the actual story line instead of ASOIAF being a 20 page pamphlet about Ned going to King's Landing then deciding to get the gently caress out of there before someone murders him.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Doltos posted:

That wasn't the problem. The problem was he told Cersei before telling anyone else.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
New video about fight scenes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-28xunfJAk0

Looks pretty cool. Is that one of Stannis's knights killing Ygritte at 06?

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

I always find myself wondering what would have happened if Ned took Renly's offer to help take the castle that night. There would still be civil war between Renly and Stannis. I assume Ned would support Stannis and still get murdered in Kings Landing. He was so hosed from day one.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Sam. posted:

New video about fight scenes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-28xunfJAk0

Looks pretty cool. Is that one of Stannis's knights killing Ygritte at 06?

:laffo: it totally is. It's not even like, hidden. Why would they do that?! :wtf:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Doltos posted:

I hate when main characters make bone headed decisions even if it does result in the actual story line instead of ASOIAF being a 20 page pamphlet about Ned going to King's Landing then deciding to get the gently caress out of there before someone murders him.

I actually haven't had a problem with that decision, because it was consistent with the way his character was written. His decision to tell Cersie isn't logical, but he hasn't always been a logical character.

One of my favorite moments of his was when he sat in judgement of Gregor Clegan and ordered Tywin's presence to the court. It showed that he was a good ruler and could mete out justice when it was necisary, he just wasn't the best political operator.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

That is just a redheaded wildling. The face is kind of blurry but it isn't Rose Leslie's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

GonSmithe posted:

:laffo: it totally is. It's not even like, hidden. Why would they do that?! :wtf:

If that's 'Ygritte' it's her stunt double not Rose Leslie. And besides, it's merely a flesh wound. :colbert:

• Locked thread