Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

How many alerts did you get?

Just one and I really don't know how to go without it: I started by extracting the POWs, then ran near the place where the first guy (white one) strolls around, tranq the guard in the watchtower, cqc all the three guys, tranq the dude who comes wondering about the masacre, execute the target, run to the western red door to the base, get caught (I don't know how the guys patrol there), shoot the black dude through the fence, run back to a jeep and escape. It's the shortest route I could think and the game doesn't penalize alerts that much, got S rank on hard mode ground zeroes even though I ran around like a mad man, triggering every wire in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I believe you can extract the two targets and complete the mission that way

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

nippon nifties posted:

I believe you can extract the two targets and complete the mission that way

You can? But what kinda sense does that make? My job's to kill them but then I don't? kinda shame that real conflicts don't work like they do in Metal Gear, wars would be a lot less destructive if we could just tranq each other all day.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

"Hello MSF this is the KGB did you kill those two men?" "Yes." And then Big Boss just has them wear the ski masks the generics wear for the rest of their lives ?? :shrug:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

ManOfTheYear posted:

Just one and I really don't know how to go without it: I started by extracting the POWs, then ran near the place where the first guy (white one) strolls around, tranq the guard in the watchtower, cqc all the three guys, tranq the dude who comes wondering about the masacre, execute the target, run to the western red door to the base, get caught (I don't know how the guys patrol there), shoot the black dude through the fence, run back to a jeep and escape. It's the shortest route I could think and the game doesn't penalize alerts that much, got S rank on hard mode ground zeroes even though I ran around like a mad man, triggering every wire in the world.

You can totally do it with no alerts. Here's what I did:

- Tranq the first guy you come across who is smoking on the cliff.

- Run to the right and hide behind the sandbags until the Jeep passes.

- Tranq the dude who is jogging up the hill ASAP.

- Low crawl up the left side of the road until the guy coming down the hill goes under the bridge, then hold him up and make him lie down or tranq him.

- Run up the hill and around the back of the truck to hold up the guy smoking in front of the truck.

- Jump in the back of the truck to get the sniper rifle. Use your binoculars to identify The Eye in the guard tower near the admin building.

- Get out of the truck and head towards the tent village. Wait for the 2 dudes to have a conversation about AV rockets then tranq them both quickly. Make sure to hide the bodies where they won't be seen.

- Head towards the old prison area. Tranq all the guards on the way and then carry the 2 POWs to the cave by the RV where you started the mission.

- Run back towards the tent village and climb the guard tower. Wait for The Finger to show up in the Jeep. Climb down from the guard tower and tranq The Finger and the dude with him when they stop.

- Climb the guard tower near the tent village again and use the sniper rifle to put a round in The Eye's dome.

- Climb down the guard tower and run over to where The Finger is. Kill him however you want and call the extraction chopper to the RV where you started the mission.

- Sprint back to the RV where you started, load the POWs up, then exit the mission.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 25, 2014

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Elephant Ambush posted:

For those of you asking about the 18th tape, you get it for beating all the missions on Hard. Rank doesn't matter.

I've beaten every mission on hard and only have sixteen. I've also found the one in the cave during deja vu, the one next to chico's cage, both agent recording and classified intel, amd I have all 7 Chico tapes. Are they any easy to miss ones beyond those, because I seem to have found all the tapes most people talk about. I heard listening to tapes unlocks more tapes, is there truth to that?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

ManOfTheYear posted:

You can? But what kinda sense does that make? My job's to kill them but then I don't? kinda shame that real conflicts don't work like they do in Metal Gear, wars would be a lot less destructive if we could just tranq each other all day.

You've got them in your base in the middle of the ocean. They aren't coming back alive.

Tyack
Oct 9, 2012

nippon nifties posted:

"Hello MSF this is the KGB did you kill those two men?" "Yes." And then Big Boss just has them wear the ski masks the generics wear for the rest of their lives ?? :shrug:
I thought the idea behind extracting them was to bring them to trail in a court of law? So they could pay for their crimes.

Tyack fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 25, 2014

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tyack posted:

I thought the idea behind extracting them was to bring them to trail in a court of law? So they could pay for their crimes.

Why imprison a couple of really good potential assets when you could hire them to kill for you? :clint:

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

Why imprison a couple of really good potential assets when you could hire them to kill for you? :clint:

Outer Heaven is be a pretty frightening concept if all of it's troops and personnel are war criminals and weapons scientists who have no other places to go than a offshore plant that does the darkest black ops and shadiest wet work available to any possible client. What's the reason for it being Kojima's wet dream again?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Outer Heaven is be a pretty frightening concept if all of it's troops and personnel are war criminals and weapons scientists who have no other places to go than a offshore plant that does the darkest black ops and shadiest wet work available to any possible client. What's the reason for it being Kojima's wet dream again?

Hate to break it to you, but writers sometimes write characters they share little or no ideological ground with. Confusing, I know. :shobon:

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Tyack posted:

I think the idea is more delivering them gift wrapped to the clients who took out the contract on them.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

LordMune posted:

Hate to break it to you, but writers sometimes write characters they share little or no ideological ground with. Confusing, I know. :shobon:

Hundred bucks that Kojima creams himself every time he writes the word "soldier." :colbert:

There was some interview with Kojima about GZ pretty recently where he talked about the themes TPP was gonna have and how he needed to have the serious tone to effectively tackle these heavy issues and how games would never become real culture unless the barriers of "pure entertainment" would be broken to get into these real, deep ideas.

Then GZ comes out and there's a snuke plot point in it. Never change, Kojima.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Really, it's pretty brutal and has a sort of sexual violence thats a little disconcerting, but we live in a world where insurgent groups have strapped suicide vests to mentally disabled women and sent them into groups of civilians.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Really, it's pretty brutal and has a sort of sexual violence thats a little disconcerting, but we live in a world where insurgent groups have strapped suicide vests to mentally disabled women and sent them into groups of civilians.

Sure, the world is filled with all kinds of atrocities, but if you say you are going to make a serious, deep story and the prologue to that story involves a snuke right after digging a package of C4 from a female characters guts it really is GRIMDARK and super serial and not a sign of a good story teller. How about some class and sublety? People always mention that Kojima uses interesting themes and ideas but is not a very good writer, but those interesting ideas combined with all that hammyness and sheer weirdness just makes it fun for me, which is what a lot of people also have said.

I would love to read a book written by Kojima, like an autobiography or something. Picking his brain would be amazing.

Edit:// I discovered during a Ground Zeroes mission that when I tranquilized two guys and then threw their bodies into the ocean didn't count as kills. Compared to the height of the cliff and the raging storm the bullet would have been a more merciful option though.

ManOfTheYear fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 25, 2014

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
I'm having a lot of fun with some of these hard mode trials. I'm ranked #6 for Fastest Completion time on the Classified Intel side-op at 1:33.365 (on the PS4) doubt I could get it much lower than that but the fastest time is over ten seconds quicker. I'm also ranked #9 for the Fastest Acquisition of the Second Tape trial at 0:57.395, if anyone can tell me how to get a faster time than that I'd like to know.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Cybershell posted:

I'm having a lot of fun with some of these hard mode trials. I'm ranked #6 for Fastest Completion time on the Classified Intel side-op at 1:33.365 (on the PS4) doubt I could get it much lower than that but the fastest time is over ten seconds quicker. I'm also ranked #9 for the Fastest Acquisition of the Second Tape trial at 0:57.395, if anyone can tell me how to get a faster time than that I'd like to know.

What do you do? Jump out of the truck, hijack it, and make a beeline to the admin building?

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
Immediately hop out of the truck, sprint north hugging the left wall, you should alert the guards at this point. Continue sprinting north toward the gate the truck eventually goes through and enter the red door next to it, the bald soldier with the second tape should be running at you. Run up, grab, and interrogate him then grab the tape and sprint toward the map exit across the bridge.

edit: Just had a slightly better run that I recorded that shows what I'm talking about. At the time I recorded this video this was ranked #4 for the "Fastest Completion Time" trial and #8 for the "Fastest Acquisition of Second Tape" trial (again, on the PS4)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-YUtmjy838

edit 2:

beep by grandpa posted:

edit: but seriously with those you might be better off making an explosion/alert as soon as you get control to lure everyone to the source of the sound instead of waiting?
For some reason when I cause an alert immediately after the mission starts when I run up to where the bald soldier usually comes out he's not there for some reason. I have absolutely no idea why but for some reason I've had better luck by causing the alert right after the refugee camp area. I think one way to get a faster tape acquisition time might involve getting him to run out of the other exit of the basement, something I've seen happen a few times but don't know how to reliably cause it.

Cybershell fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 25, 2014

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Cybershell posted:

I can think of 8 people you can ask :v:

edit: but seriously with those you might be better off making an explosion/alert as soon as you get control to lure everyone to the source of the sound instead of waiting?

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 25, 2014

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Holy poo poo that was intense. Would turning off reflex mode maybe save you a second or two?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

The dialogue when extract them would seem to suggest that their days as "the eye" and "the finger" are behind them, at least as a formidable duo.
Their titular features now are fakes, after all.

LordMune posted:

Metal Gear is basically "War is bad: The official game" and the anti war stuff is Kojima's dream, not the "I wish I was a soldier" stuff.

e: I need to get around to figuring out how to use the PS4 recorder properly. Its default functionality just seems sort of random or broken to me.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 25, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Aurain posted:

The dialogue when extract them would seem to suggest that their days as "the eye" and "the finger" are behind them, at least as a formidable duo.
Their titular features now are fakes, after all.

Metal Gear is basically "War is bad: The official game" and the anti war stuff is Kojima's dream, not the "I wish I was a soldier" stuff.

e: I need to get around to figuring out how to use the PS4 recorder properly. Its default functionality just seems sort of random or broken to me.

From what I've heard, the built in recorder is rear end.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It saves random 15 minute sections sometimes and you can push Share twice quickly or maybe once to start recording at a specific point but there's no way to tell it to stop or when your 15 minutes have been recorded. You can't even tell it not to record automatically and blah blah.

All said, the PS4 firmware has a long way to go.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

ManOfTheYear posted:

How about some class and sublety?

Not that Kojima's writing in GZ isn't total schlock, but you're the one breaking out the South Park references.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Aurain posted:

You'd think someone would notice that every single person who tries to actually create Outer Heaven is a madman who wants war to continue forever and then Our Hero has to kill them. (then they come back in increasingly-implausible ways)

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Aurain posted:

Double tap the share button to start recording a video, no idea if that has a maximum length. Apparently the next firmware update will let you export recording to USB.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
It's pretty annoying that right now it commonly only keeps the first 15 mins of your play session instead of the 15 most recent as it's supposed to (yet the thumbnail shows correct), seems to be a common issue as trying to google a fix I've found loads of threads about it, often also populated with people who insist that it works fine and that you're doing it wrong (when in fact they're just one of the lucky ones for whom it worked). But that's a PS4 issue and not an MGS one.
Had a hilarious moment where I sniped a guy at range and the physics engine decided to send him straight vertically up into the sky until he went out of sight, like a team rocket exit.
Also had a moment on the intel extraction mission where I was escaping in the bavk of the truck and the driver accidentally ran over another soldier, got out and looked at his corpse, then got back in and drove off.

For the double assassination mission s-rank I ignored the hostages, tranq the guards who patrol the road (and any you come across on the way in towers etc), run along the upper road to the left to a spot where I can see the unoccupied jeep, snipe the finger as he approaches it to get in (you have to be quick or he'll be driving around in it already), sprint back to the bridge, snipe the eye in the tower (he'll be huddling) then run out along the road next to the bridge, no helicopter necessary - oh and don't forget the sentry in the guard hut there.
This requires a fairly quick run with no alerts/reflexes though. Also I already had the sniper rifle unlocked from a-ranking it.

Griever fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 25, 2014

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The double tap tip would be helpful if I always knew when I'm about to do something awesome. But normally I end up doing something shareworthy by accident and of course it stopped recording right after the few minutes of Snake idling and scratching his rear end.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I haven't played a Metal Gear game in years and I never loved the series that much, but Ground Zeroes is quite enjoyable so far. The binocular + radio seem much more useful than the tools we got in 3. Although I could be remembering wrong...

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Regardless of anything else, I think it's pretty goddamn impressive that Kojima and co. went full bore with an anti-guantanamo message. We've only just started to see COD style games confront the current US sentiment with war, torture and how the geneva convention is now optional. Kojima just literally went there and filled a few tapes with Kaz dropping knowledge on black sites, renditions, the legal status of Guantanamo prisoners, etc.

I'm actually kind of surprised no one at FOX or something has jumped on them about either that or a mission where the objective is to kill 2 US Marines.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Regardless of anything else, I think it's pretty goddamn impressive that Kojima and co. went full bore with an anti-guantanamo message. We've only just started to see COD style games confront the current US sentiment with war, torture and how the geneva convention is now optional. Kojima just literally went there and filled a few tapes with Kaz dropping knowledge on black sites, renditions, the legal status of Guantanamo prisoners, etc.

I'm actually kind of surprised no one at FOX or something has jumped on them about either that or a mission where the objective is to kill 2 US Marines.

If they haven't jumped on against Spec Ops, then I would be surprised if they latched onto this. That was a game where you kill an entire platoon of marines.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

What does the thread reckon about that scene from the Red Band trailer for The Phantom Pain which uses a scene based in the prison Chico is in at Camp Omega, but isn't present in Ground Zeroes.

Are we looking at re-used assets or are we going to be able to go back to Camp Omega in TPP for side-quests or something? Pretty intriguing stuff to me.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

blackguy32 posted:

If they haven't jumped on against Spec Ops, then I would be surprised if they latched onto this. That was a game where you kill an entire platoon of marines.

Not that they'd care, but those marines had gone full Heart of Darkness. The GZ marines on the other hand are still on payroll.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

Not that they'd care, but those marines had gone full Heart of Darkness. The GZ marines on the other hand are still on payroll.

And you're doing it for a KGB contact of Kaz's. It's pretty naughty if you ask me, but I'm glad the nation has evolved since the "hot coffee" stupidity.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

blackguy32 posted:

Hell, one of the loading screens in Spec Ops is literally just asking the question "How many Americans have you killed today?" If they didn't jump on that treasure trove of clickbait rage, I doubt they'd bother explaining the bare minimum of nuance "you're a rugged all-American hero man in Cuba, but are killing good guys who are bad guys but really good guys because we totally say they are!"

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Aurain posted:

What does the thread reckon about that scene from the Red Band trailer for The Phantom Pain which uses a scene based in the prison Chico is in at Camp Omega, but isn't present in Ground Zeroes.

Are we looking at re-used assets or are we going to be able to go back to Camp Omega in TPP for side-quests or something? Pretty intriguing stuff to me.

I had to check the trailer and I realized your right, the POWs are tortured in the GZ Cuban base. It's probably there just to drive the tone of the upcoming game home and they used the assets they had. I remember Peace Walker trailers constantly using MGS3 animatiobs. Not axactly the same thing, but anyway. Konami likes to use assets again and again.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Generic American posted:

Hell, one of the loading screens in Spec Ops is literally just asking the question "How many Americans have you killed today?" If they didn't jump on that treasure trove of clickbait rage, I doubt they'd bother explaining the bare minimum of nuance "you're a rugged all-American hero man in Cuba, but are killing good guys who are bad guys but really good guys because we totally say they are!"

When the people who clutch pearls know that much they don't explain, they scaremonger. If there wasn't more actual Obama-outrage to be chewed on right now I have absolutely no doubt at least one FOX show would be all over "Major videogame franchise features players breaking into Guantanamo, releasing prisoners and killing US marines". I'm still waiting for O'Reilly to drop it any day now.

Bonus edit: And the killer wears a FOX news patch while doing it.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 25, 2014

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ManOfTheYear posted:

I had to check the trailer and I realized your right, the POWs are tortured in the GZ Cuban base. It's probably there just to drive the tone of the upcoming game home and they used the assets they had. I remember Peace Walker trailers constantly using MGS3 animatiobs. Not axactly the same thing, but anyway. Konami likes to use assets again and again.

Yeah, I've seen other games do this sort of thing. For example, GTA 5 trailers had characters standing in different locations as they delivered a line of dialogue so as not to spoil the context in the full game. You just take the model and mocap animations and put them in a new background so you can tease the audience without giving away locations or context.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ManOfTheYear posted:

I had to check the trailer and I realized your right, the POWs are tortured in the GZ Cuban base. It's probably there just to drive the tone of the upcoming game home and they used the assets they had. I remember Peace Walker trailers constantly using MGS3 animations. Not axactly the same thing, but anyway. Konami likes to use assets again and again.

I hadn't thought of that, and it's a good point. It's a pretty inconspicuous choice of location though on their behalf in hindsight.

I do kind of hope we can go back to Camp Omega though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I finally got to do a quick playthrough on my 360 today. Once I stopped struggling with some of the controls, I got right down to doing the GZ campaign in like 65 minutes on normal. I was pleasantly surprised how real they make the base and the guards feel compared to other games. Even with the tagging of enemies, you really have to think on your feet. This is the first MGS that really made it feel like I was actually hiding; moving without getting spotted takes slow deliberation and good situational awareness. I need to work on aiming the tranq pistol, that's for sure.

Overall, even being on an older console, I was impressed. My only gripes are that the camera is zoomed in a little too much on Snake sometimes, especially when you are moving through a cramped space like between buildings. You have to be really sensitive with the stick when you are in cover, but I started to get the hang of it. I can't wait until I have more time to experiment with the guards and give the side missions a go.

Edit: I was psyching myself up for Snake's new voice actor, and I'm sure it will grow on me. Honestly though, he just sounds like Sam Fisher.

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 25, 2014

• Locked thread