Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

HenryEx posted:

Jesus Christ, internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OZU3fi08-o

I don't even care whether the songs fit or not, that title alone deserves a loving gold medal.

That was pretty amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Hey when you're a sorcerer is it better to get your weapon up to +15, then cast your buff? or get it to lightning +5. I get that the +15 will be better because of the scaling with stats, but I'm not sure how helpful 18 Dex would be with my Uchigatana. Especially when I'm going to add something like 145 damage or so with a magic spell anyways.

depends on your stats. if you have high stats with what the weapon scales with, use +15. if your stats are low, use elemental. 18 dex is pretty pitiful so I would go with elemental.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HenryEx posted:

Jesus Christ, internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OZU3fi08-o

I don't even care whether the songs fit or not, that title alone deserves a loving gold medal.

How can you post that and not the PvP video that goes with it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBfv3cYJBEY

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009
So I just got to this game after having it in my Steam Library for a while and dear lord is it amazing.

I just killed Seath and Nito and I guess Izalith is going to be the next on my list, but first I wanted to do some PVP - except there's one problem, apparently PVP is near dead?

As a Darkmoon, I would get called to Dark Anor Lando maybe about once every hour or two. The Blue Eye Orb literally never worked. (I'm SL 65? Maybe that's the issue?) Earlier I had tried the Forest Covenant, and I got literally zero summons off of the ring. I don't mean, "I got a few, but they were very rare" - I mean zilch. The only thing that's worked are Dark Phantom invasions in the Forest, but there I've almost always gotten gangbanged by two players at once. Then I find out that since I gave the Kingsvessel to Frampt, I can no longer get any more Cracked Red Eye Orbs and am unable to join the Darkwraith (or whatever?) Covenant.

So, long story short - am I just getting hosed by GFWL matchmaking, or has pretty much everyone run off for DS2?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nombres posted:

So I just got to this game after having it in my Steam Library for a while and dear lord is it amazing.

I just killed Seath and Nito and I guess Izalith is going to be the next on my list, but first I wanted to do some PVP - except there's one problem, apparently PVP is near dead?

As a Darkmoon, I would get called to Dark Anor Lando maybe about once every hour or two. The Blue Eye Orb literally never worked. (I'm SL 65? Maybe that's the issue?) Earlier I had tried the Forest Covenant, and I got literally zero summons off of the ring. I don't mean, "I got a few, but they were very rare" - I mean zilch. The only thing that's worked are Dark Phantom invasions in the Forest, but there I've almost always gotten gangbanged by two players at once. Then I find out that since I gave the Kingsvessel to Frampt, I can no longer get any more Cracked Red Eye Orbs and am unable to join the Darkwraith (or whatever?) Covenant.

So, long story short - am I just getting hosed by GFWL matchmaking, or has pretty much everyone run off for DS2?
I was invading Arno Lando last week, and was able to invade one dude every 3 or 4 minutes, with a spotty connection. You are way to high to be invading Arno Lando at 65, so you may want to hang out and gank invaders.

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

I was invading Arno Lando last week, and was able to invade one dude every 3 or 4 minutes, with a spotty connection. You are way to high to be invading Arno Lando at 65, so you may want to hang out and gank invaders.

I was under the impression that Dark Anor Londo was basically a free for all? Does it have the same level bounds as normal?

In any case, I don't (think?) I can gank invaders since I've already beaten O&S, and haven't turned Anor Londo dark.

Do you have any recommendations as to where I can use the Blue Eye Orb? I've heard that the Kiln is a good place, though I have a little ways to go before I get there. I tried Painted World, which is also supposed to be a hotspot, but no luck there, either. Maybe because of SL.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Nombres posted:

I was under the impression that Dark Anor Londo was basically a free for all? Does it have the same level bounds as normal?

In any case, I don't (think?) I can gank invaders since I've already beaten O&S, and haven't turned Anor Londo dark.

To my understanding, it still has the same level bounds as other areas. I was getting invaded with some regularity with a level 50 character, not sure on 65.

Still, your best bet is probably to turn Anor Londo dark. You'll be eligible for blue invaders, and once you turn Anor Londo dark, your next boss becomes the Dark Sun, so you can be invaded by darkwraiths again as well.

Edit: Word of advice if you go that route, don't kill the firekeeper NPC that is now hostile in the central rotating plaza.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 26, 2014

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009
I might end up doing that, I'm not sure. I've heard Dark Anor Londo is a monumental pain in the rear end, and I still go to AL sometimes to farm for chunks and such.

So, when I make a PVP character at some point, what's a good SL range to keep it at? 50 or so, parked in Anor Londo or Painted World? I zoomed right past Burg and Parish - are low SL builds viable? I know you can certainly get access to very good equipment with a bit of sequence breaking, but I've heard the early game PVP is/was overrun with people on Cheat Engine. Is this still the case?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I've got a level 10 Darkwraith guy that could get near constant fights by invading/being invaded at the Bell Gargoyles.

I also had a level 40-44 caster that I parked in dark Anor Londo. Not as fast as the bell gargoyles, but I could also get summoned for S+O if I wanted as well.

As for low level pvp. I moved on since I was trying a gimmick punching build, and you run into a lot of people in the Parish who are either under-equipped, or hilariously over-equipped (or they have a phantom that is).
I had a lot better fights on the caster in Dark Anor Londo.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 26, 2014

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Nombres posted:

I might end up doing that, I'm not sure. I've heard Dark Anor Londo is a monumental pain in the rear end, and I still go to AL sometimes to farm for chunks and such.

So, when I make a PVP character at some point, what's a good SL range to keep it at? 50 or so, parked in Anor Londo or Painted World? I zoomed right past Burg and Parish - are low SL builds viable? I know you can certainly get access to very good equipment with a bit of sequence breaking, but I've heard the early game PVP is/was overrun with people on Cheat Engine. Is this still the case?

You try moving to the DLC and see if you can get some fights at the bonfire just after Artorias. If you don't kill Manus you will be eligible for invasions. Though at that spot you might be underleveled.
Did you get the red sign soapstone where you were in the painted world?

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
I'm going to try streaming some Dork Souls at http://en.twitch.tv/huleboergen
I've just set it up today so if you would tell me if it looks okay it would be sweet.

Done for now.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 26, 2014

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Yesterday was a pretty good day. After the disappointing Bed of Chaos fight, I finished off Dukes Archives and beat Seath on my third try. I'm currently at Gwyn now so I guess i've pretty much beat the game at this stage?

Should I bother attempting the DLC bosses now? From what i've gathered I won't be able to do the DLC after/if I defeat Gwyn and i'd like to have a go with my current build.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Should I bother attempting the DLC bosses now? From what i've gathered I won't be able to do the DLC after/if I defeat Gwyn and i'd like to have a go with my current build.

Yes, absolutely. The DLC boss fights are arguably the best ones in the game, and you don't want to miss them.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Yesterday was a pretty good day. After the disappointing Bed of Chaos fight, I finished off Dukes Archives and beat Seath on my third try. I'm currently at Gwyn now so I guess i've pretty much beat the game at this stage?

Most people tend to do the DLC just before Gwyn, but it's certainly doable if you go for it as soon as you possibly could've.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I just started the DLC myself. Hi Guardian, Bye guardian.

Fun fight though.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Finishing up Tomb of the Giants. Come watch by the candlelight as I wander around killing big rear end skeletons.

:darksouls::getin:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Zedd posted:

I just started the DLC myself. Hi Guardian, Bye guardian.

Fun fight though.
After you "finish" the DLC story you should take another look. :)

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
So if I join the forest hunters, and I'm wearing the cat ring, do I need to stay in Darkroot to invade people? Or could I be in like, the Tomb of Giants or Anor Londo and still get summoned to the garden if I have the ring on?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

So if I join the forest hunters, and I'm wearing the cat ring, do I need to stay in Darkroot to invade people? Or could I be in like, the Tomb of Giants or Anor Londo and still get summoned to the garden if I have the ring on?

You can be wherever as long as you're wearing the ring. Just be sure you're not doing something important while you're wearing it because it'll straight up ditch whatever you're doing to dump you in the host's world.

edit: It MIGHT not work in places where you can't ever co-op like Ash Lake and the Valley of Drakes. Anywhere else is fair game though. You also don't have to be human, it'll spawn you as one even if you're still undead in your own game world.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
low level(sl8) invading in parish/depths/upper blighttown with a +5 weapon is fun as gently caress, and you get tons of hits. I'd recommend rolling a low level invader, killing O&S can be tough, but 4 kings is pretty easy with havel's + fully upgraded fireglove.

I also have an SL40 invader that i pretty much keep in anor londo at all times and get tons of hits for invasions. Though not many people are rolling through the area of solaire's fire without a buddy.

e: but really PVP will never be "dead" as long as gfwl works and there are people who are unhollowed. Once you're above level 70 or so I'd say to level up to 100 and head to oolacile township for PVP. I think that's the general hotspot for level 100-120 pvp

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 26, 2014

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Quick question, I've got my str to 50. Should I start adding more onto Stm/end? They're both around 26-28 now

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Stringbean posted:

Quick question, I've got my str to 50. Should I start adding more onto Stm/end? They're both around 26-28 now

If you're not dying, you've probably got enough Vit, though more never hurts. End will probably help you more, by giving you more stamina and more equip load for your probably-heavy Str equipment.

Depending on what specific weapons you're using, you might also benefit from raising Dex.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Stringbean posted:

With the setup you are rocking I'd definitly go end without a doubt. The black knight weapons have horrible dex scaling anyways and you favor the heavy gear and a mid roll. I'd think about getting a silver knight shield too, instead of that dragon crest or whatever it is you are using.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

With the setup you are rocking I'd definitly go end without a doubt. The black knight weapons have horrible dex scaling anyways and you favor the heavy gear and a mid roll. I'd think about getting a silver knight shield too, instead of that dragon crest or whatever it is you are using.

Alternatively, Greatshield of Artorias. Somewhat heavy, and can't parry, but in spite of that it is a thing of beauty for anyone tanky with 34+ strength.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Is there a particular difference between the silver and black knight shield? Because I've got the BKShield.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I believe the silver knight shield offers the highest block % of any medium shield in the game, while the black knight shield has really strong fire defense.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Also I think the black knight shield is heavier.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Cyberventurer posted:

I believe the silver knight shield offers the highest block % of any medium shield in the game, while the black knight shield has really strong fire defense.
Close, they both 100% physical block. Black Knight has an insane 95% fire resist, Silver Knight +5 has better stability at 76 vs BK's 74.

Also yes, BKS is 1 unit heavier (6 vs SK's 5).

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Assuming both are fully upgraded:

Silver Knight Shield: 5 weight, 14 str required, 76 stability, 100/40/75/65 (physical, magic, fire, lightning)
- Grindable as soon as it's available, not available until Anor Londo.
Black Knight Shield: 6 weight, 16 str required, 74 stability, 100/25/95/65 (physical, magic, fire, lightning)
- Available from miscellaneous early-game black knights; not grindable until Kiln.

Black Knight Shield has the impressive fire resist and is potentially available earlier, but Silver Knight Shield otherwise beats it in all ways.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Haven't had luck on SKS, I've had the BKS since the second Knight I fought. Guess I'll farm me up a SKS.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Questions, my girlfriend and I are jolly cooperating as a team of Sorcerers. I want to take us through the DLC at level 30, because I think we might be able to do it, what do you guys think? She's brand new and I've got one playthrough (almost,) under my belt.

e: She's about to fight Gaping Maw, and Btown.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

For comparison purposes:

Greatshield of Artorias: 16 weight, 34 str required, 88 stability, 100/50/80/40 (physical, magic, fire, lightning)
- Obtainable once you've both beaten Sif and reached Anor Londo blacksmith (and upgraded some regular shield to +10 but that's easy)

If you meet the strength requirements and can handle the weight (it's 10-11 heavier than SKS/BKS), there's no real reason not to use it. 88 stability is amazing.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Parrying is awesome.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Turtlicious posted:

Questions, my girlfriend and I are jolly cooperating as a team of Sorcerers. I want to take us through the DLC at level 30, because I think we might be able to do it, what do you guys think? She's brand new and I've got one playthrough (almost,) under my belt.

It's possible to do so, but she'd have to beat Anor Londo first. I suppose all those extra souls can be dumped into weapon upgrade materials once you get to the Giant Blacksmith.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Turtlicious posted:

The DLC is the toughest part of the game, but if you know what to expect you'll likely be alright. Most of the bosses are okay with 2 players, but a low level sorcerer probably will die to most of their attacks in a single hit. Might be pretty frustrating for someone not comfortable with consistently dodging.

Of course to get there both of you will need to beat OnS (including mandatory bosses up to that point) and Hydra, so at least they don't let you hop in there completely green. By that point you'll probably know if SL30 is the way you want to go.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RoadCrewWorker posted:

The DLC is the toughest part of the game, but if you know what to expect you'll likely be alright. Most of the bosses are okay with 2 players, but a low level sorcerer probably will die to most of their attacks in a single hit. Might be pretty frustrating for someone not comfortable with consistently dodging.

Of course to get there both of you will need to beat OnS (including mandatory bosses up to that point) and Hydra, so at least they don't let you hop in there completely green. By that point you'll probably know if SL30 is the way you want to go.

Oh wait, yeah you have to be able to get into Dukes don't you?

I forgot about that.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I've consistently managed Sanctuary Guardian and Artorias in the 30s. It just requires careful dodging. Manus and Kalameet could prove really challenging however.

I'd definitely go through all of Duke's so you've got access to the Crystal line of spells.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I've consistently managed Sanctuary Guardian and Artorias in the 30s. It just requires careful dodging. Manus and Kalameet could prove really challenging however.

I'd definitely go through all of Duke's so you've got access to the Crystal line of spells.

I was hoping to get that rad "Dark pursuers" spell early, but I guess you can't for a while.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Turtlicious posted:

I was hoping to get that rad "Dark pursuers" spell early, but I guess you can't for a while.

Ya, Pursuer's requires that you kill Manus, so that's a bit tricky on a low level run. Dark Orb/Fog/Bead are all available after getting passed Artorias though. To be honest, Dark Bead is so absurdly powerful that I never felt the need to kill Manus on my lower level sorcerer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I just watched some speedrun and holy poo poo the kind of skips you can do with a little jumping. :aaa:

The entirety of the Duke's Archives just by jumping off the second elevator at the right time.
The second half of Anor Londo by simply jumping from the stairs onto the walkway with the shortcut/Titanite demon.

• Locked thread