Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Twee as gently caress posted:

You know who I really miss?

This guy:

He was really awesome and I wish they hadn't stopped using him :smith:

Mike Novick had the best facial expressions and body language out of any character the show ever had, including Jack. He was a frequent source of amusement and in my opinion a great character. I don't know if he would have had the same chemistry with Taylor/Heller as he did with Palmer/Logan. I think it's best the writers chose to retire him rather than think up a stupid way to kill him off.

JohnSherman posted:

I haven't watched the show in a long time, but wasn't that the really slimy guy who always advocated nuking whatever country the scary brown people came from that season?

No, you might be thinking of either Peter MacNicol or Powers Boothe from season 6.

Irish Joe posted:

Dude was straight up complicit in Palmer's personal assistant's murder and was still given a high-ranking White House position.

Speaking of murderers in the White House, Wayne Palmer broke into the former first lady's home, was an accessory in her assault and then stood by as she was murdered by the woman with whom he was having a tryst, and 24's America still decided to elect him president. :911:

Wayne Palmer being president was inexcusable but let's not forget that Charles Logan appointed Mike as one of his top advisers so his presence in seasons 4 and 5 was justified at least.

Ninjasaurus fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Ninjasaurus posted:

Mike Novick had the best facial expressions and body language out of any character the show ever had, including Jack. He was a frequent source of amusement and in my opinion a great character.

High five! Seriously, it seemed like every other scene with him in the first season ended with Mike having an expression that can only be described as a mix of silently scowling, being really worried and wondering where someone put his loving coffee he left it on the table like two minutes ago what the gently caress man?

I mean they had something like 15 transitions with Mike doing just that. It was awesome and I really wanted to make a youtube video compilation of those.

quote:

I don't know if he would have had the same chemistry with Taylor/Heller as he did with Palmer/Logan. I think it's best the writers chose to retire him rather than think up a stupid way to kill him off.

Oh yeah I agree, I really just miss him he was the best.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Agreed that Bill had a cool death. As far as former characters go, I too miss Mike Novick. Is Aaron Pierce still alive? 'Cause he should be in LAD. I don't know how or why, but he should.

And on the subject of season 3, don't forget Tony getting shot in the neck and then coming back to work a few hours later :psyduck:.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Twee as gently caress posted:

High five! Seriously, it seemed like every other scene with him in the first season ended with Mike having an expression that can only be described as a mix of silently scowling, being really worried and wondering where someone put his loving coffee he left it on the table like two minutes ago what the gently caress man?

I mean they had something like 15 transitions with Mike doing just that. It was awesome and I really wanted to make a youtube video compilation of those.

Oh yeah I agree, I really just miss him he was the best.

I think Mike reached his incredulous peak while watching Logan being hilariously incompetent followed by trying to figure out what was going on near the end of season 5.

Oliver Reed posted:

Agreed that Bill had a cool death. As far as former characters go, I too miss Mike Novick. Is Aaron Pierce still alive? 'Cause he should be in LAD. I don't know how or why, but he should.

And on the subject of season 3, don't forget Tony getting shot in the neck and then coming back to work a few hours later :psyduck:.

Haha Tony was really just the writers' chew toy, wasn't he? Starts the show as a prick (before saving Jack's wife), gets his leg broken by Jack, his neck shot by a terrorist, thrown in jail for awhile, kidnapped by a hot bisexual assassin, his wife gets blown up and he falls into a coma from the same car bomb, then suffers death by Robocop before coming back to life as an evil prick and then arrested again.

I'm not holding out hope for Agent Pierce to come back unless he's decided to reenlist in the Secret Service and join Heller's security detail. The writers couldn't figure out a way to bring him back in season 8 and I was fine with that considering how stupidly shoehorned his sole appearance in season 6 was.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ninjasaurus posted:

I'm not holding out hope for Agent Pierce to come back unless he's decided to reenlist in the Secret Service and join Heller's security detail. The writers couldn't figure out a way to bring him back in season 8 and I was fine with that considering how stupidly shoehorned his sole appearance in season 6 was.

Season 6 made sort of sense as he was becoming real friendly with Martha Logan.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Ninjasaurus posted:

I think Mike reached his incredulous peak while watching Logan being hilariously incompetent followed by trying to figure out what was going on near the end of season 5.

I have to say, seeing Mike advise Charles Logan was a real head trip. I was so used to seeing him with Palmer that it really threw me for a loop.

bobkatt013 posted:

Don't we see him buying her oranges/other groceries in season 6? Poor, poor Aaron.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

bobkatt013 posted:

I consider his appearance shoehorned in by proxy. They really ruined Martha in season 6 by making her a deranged lunatic when by that point she should have been feeling better, given that her husband was brought to justice. There was no need for her to reappear in that clusterfuck of a plot (the way they handled all of her scenes was just terrible) although yes it did make sense that Aaron would be courtin' the former first lady. (Although he could have just been her butler, it was never fully explained.)

Logan rockin' an Old Man and the Sea beard was cool but considering they didn't know what to do with his "reformed" character other than have Martha stab him with a fruit knife, I'm glad they just pretended none of that happened by the time he surfaced again in season 8.

Seriously, an ex-president suffers cardiac arrest in an ambulance but his fate is never revealed until the last eight episodes of the series. Of course, this is the season that forgot about a nuclear bomb vaporizing tens of thousands of people so I guess I shouldn't have waited for an explanation.

Oliver Reed posted:

I have to say, seeing Mike advise Charles Logan was a real head trip. I was so used to seeing him with Palmer that it really threw me for a loop.

Mike's reappearance was such a surprising delight and I'm glad that he eventually settled up with Palmer. Some of the best scenes in the series were the ones containing both of them and Logan together in the same room. In the season 4 finale, they were also joined by Walt Cummings and Agent Pierce! drat that was awesome.

It's a testament to the quality of the character/actor that he worked so well advising two completely different Presidents.

Ninjasaurus fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 27, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ninjasaurus posted:

I consider his appearance shoehorned in by proxy. They really ruined Martha in season 6 by making her a deranged lunatic when by that point she should have been feeling better, given that her husband was brought to justice.

She had a history of mental illness. Why would she suddenly get better?

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

bobkatt013 posted:

She had a history of mental illness. Why would she suddenly get better?

I don't mean she would have suddenly been cured but it's clear that being married to Logan and especially after discovering what he had done was causing her a lot of distress. Now that she was away from him and able to live life on her own terms, she shouldn't have gotten worse. Seriously, she's more batshit in that one episode of season 6 than all of her appearances in season 5 combined. It was like a parody of her character from the previous year.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I enjoyed season 7, but I thought they botched Bill's death scene.

Having him die to save the president's life sounds good on paper, but you can get the sense they didn't have too much for him to do at that point. He's offed, given the silent clock (which lost all value at that point), and mostly forgotten about twenty minutes later. There wasn't even acknowledgement of how he had a wife.

Compare that to how we spent half of season 5 all :smith: on Edgar.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Echo Chamber posted:

I enjoyed season 7, but I thought they botched Bill's death scene.

Having him die to save the president's life sounds good on paper, but you can get the sense they didn't have too much for him to do at that point. He's offed, given the silent clock (which lost all value at that point), and mostly forgotten about twenty minutes later. There wasn't even acknowledgement of how he had a wife.

Compare that to how we spent half of season 5 all :smith: on Edgar.

Seriously, you'd have to be a heartless oval office not to get emotional at this moment:

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Ninjasaurus posted:

Seriously, you'd have to be a heartless oval office not to get emotional at this moment:

Ah gently caress, Edgar was such a good guy. I really wish he had a romantic relationship with Chloe or something before those bastards gassed CTU.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Oliver Reed posted:

Ah gently caress, Edgar was such a good guy. I really wish he had a romantic relationship with Chloe or something before those bastards gassed CTU.

Thanks a lot Rudy.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 27, 2014

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Oliver Reed posted:

I think their characters worked really well as good friends. I wish we had gotten to see them interact even more because their platonic relationship had more chemistry than most of the romantic ones in the series.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

That's true, and thinking back to when he was around, didn't he have a crush on someone else? I think her name was Claire. Poor Claire.

F/E: Carrie, actually.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Oliver Reed posted:

That's true, and thinking back to when he was around, didn't he have a crush on someone else? I think her name was Claire. Poor Claire.

F/E: Carrie, actually.

If you're referring to that other CTU techie who was killed by the evil Russian guy who set off the nerve gas inside CTU, then I don't think he fancied her. She was only in a few scenes though.

I remember Edgar being privately happy that Spenser ended up getting arrested and fired. Maybe he did have a little bit of a crush on Chloe after all.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

That reminds me of Chloe's husband, Morris.

I remember liking him during season 6, which I think is when he fist came on board.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Morris had a pretty good arch in either season 7 or 8 where he helped terrorists arm a nuke at gunpoint and spent the rest of the season loving up his sobriety and just generally trying not to off himself. There's some good scenes with him and Chloe where he explains to her there's nothing she can say to make him feel any better.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I hope the 24-world news cycle gets even more hilariously amnesiac than ever this time around. Terrorists blew up a plane ten hours ago? Old news. A nuclear plant melted down six hours ago? Movin' on. A president was assassinated three hours ago? Come on, keep up, a nuke went off an hour ago - no, drop that poo poo, China just took over the Pentagon!

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Basebf555 posted:

Morris had a pretty good arch in either season 7 or 8 where he helped terrorists arm a nuke at gunpoint and spent the rest of the season loving up his sobriety and just generally trying not to off himself. There's some good scenes with him and Chloe where he explains to her there's nothing she can say to make him feel any better.

Yeah, that was 6. And then there's the great scene (kudos to Carlo Rota's acting) where Morris and Chloe are having an argument and in the heat of the moment Chloe's like, "yeah, how about : don't arm nuclear bombs for terrorists!" and Morris just stares at her with this vacant half-smile before getting up to leave, Chloe stammering apologies as he goes.

Morris kind of randomly appeared as a character but he was a good character so I didn't mind.

I'm in the middle of a re-watch of season 6 now. The final fight with Fayed and his demise almost makes the season worth it...until Plot Device calls Jack and demands the Plot Device from the nukes. At this point I'm just waiting to get to season 7.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Irish Joe posted:

Dude was straight up complicit in Palmer's personal assistant's murder and was still given a high-ranking White House position.

Lynne Kresge wasn't murdered, she fell down the stairs or something. I always had hope they'd bring her back, even if she was paralyzed. Michelle Forbes is fierce.

Oliver Reed posted:

That reminds me of Chloe's husband, Morris.

I remember liking him during season 6, which I think is when he fist came on board.

Morris actually came on for the last two episodes of season five. He was the guy who helped bug Palmer. They brought him back for season six.

Peter MacNicol was the best thing about season six. I wish I could find the gif of him chewing on a manilla folder.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I still think my least favorite side-plot on 24 was the 8th season nonsense for the first half with Katie Sackhoff's character and the ex-boyfriend, where she does a complete 180 and is suddenly this competent assassin mole after previously being a timid mouse.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I still think my least favorite side-plot on 24 was the 8th season nonsense for the first half with Katie Sackhoff's character and the ex-boyfriend, where she does a complete 180 and is suddenly this competent assassin mole after previously being a timid mouse.

Terri's amnesia.
Kim and the cougar.
Chloe hoarding Chase's baby.
Erin Driscoll's schizophrenic daughter.

Freley
May 19, 2009
The beat bit with Katie Sackhoff was how incredibly suspicious she acted when trying to be inconspicuous.

Then Jack murdered her.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

wordsauce posted:

Lynne Kresge wasn't murdered, she fell down the stairs or something.

We don't know if she lived or died but she definitely :airquote: fell down the stairs :airquote:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

wordsauce posted:

Terri's amnesia.
Kim and the cougar.
Chloe hoarding Chase's baby.
Erin Driscoll's schizophrenic daughter.
The amnesia thing was pretty grating, but the cougar thing was hilarious.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
It's actually a testament to the show's otherwise ingenuity and novelty that they ran a loving amnesia subplot in season one and the show still survived a healthy run.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

wordsauce posted:

Michelle Forbes is fierce.

When you need a short-term, bad-rear end bitchy type, Forbes is the best bet.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
After all these years, I just found out that George Mason and Nina Myers are married in real life.

:psyduck:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I had completely forgotten about Driscoll's awfully written and awfully acted daughter. Jaysus.

I liked season seven and thought it was a great revival of the series - and gives me hope they can bring the show back again. Of course, I also spent that year blitzed on beer and whiskey, so I might not have the most objective opinion.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Ninjasaurus posted:

As one of the biggest 24 fans ever (if I do say so myself), I of course am looking forward to this.

I was so obsessed with this show in the early years. I blogged about it weekly and even made this dumb video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd8LqcqdQMQ

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Narcissus1916 posted:

I had completely forgotten about Driscoll's awfully written and awfully acted daughter. Jaysus.

I liked season seven and thought it was a great revival of the series - and gives me hope they can bring the show back again. Of course, I also spent that year blitzed on beer and whiskey, so I might not have the most objective opinion.

It was a good season. Convoluted and made little sense- but good.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I was actually thinking of trying to rank the seasons, and then realized it makes MUCH more sense to divide each season into two or three parts - nearly every season has a vastly superior run of episodes with a chunk of horrid dross on either side.

Off the top of my head...
Season 1 had two distinct halves, with Gaines' death and the family's rescue definitively marking the middle.
Season 2 had the bomb go off, with a considerably weaker second half.
Season 3 is a bit odd in that its probably best to cleave it into three sections - the initial Salazar material, the sojourn to Mexico, and then the Saunders conclusion.
Season 4 is the only one that really doesn't fit into an established mold... IIRC there's like four middling plots of escalating stupidity all floating about.
Season 5 can be divided into two or three acts. I like to think of the first half building up to the attempted Suvarov assassination, and then the unfolding conspiracy as the other portion.
Season 6 had... well, I've blotted that season out. I think the chinese came back or some such horseshit.
Season 7, again, had a clear midpoint with the attack on the white house. Up to that point I actually liked the understated tone of the revamp, dead Tony's aside. The second half is gonzo bonkers, but had enough good material to keep me watching.
Season 8 had the diplomacy thing, but the season only became memorable once they tilted away from that with Jack on an epic revenge spree.

Its probably hyperbolic to say that 24 has had more like 16 seasons of cable-friendly TV, but doing a 13 episode miniseries should be an easy fit for them.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

The amnesia thing was pretty grating, but the cougar thing was hilarious.

Kim and the Cougar has become a meme at this point but in actuality it lasted about 30 seconds and was probably the least dumb thing that happened to her in season 2. It's the rest of her misadventures I can't stand.

wordsauce posted:

Peter MacNicol was the best thing about season six. I wish I could find the gif of him chewing on a manilla folder.

If you find it, please post it because in that one moment, Tom Lennox became the new Mike Novick with his hilarious body language and facial expressions. It was a reflection of exactly how everyone watching that season felt.

Freley posted:

The beat bit with Katie Sackhoff was how incredibly suspicious she acted when trying to be inconspicuous.

Then Jack murdered her.

The only difference between Katie Sackhoff's subplot and almost anything involving Elisha Cuthbert in the second season is that the latter played Jack's daughter while the former was a new character. Because honestly, both of them were involved in storylines that had nothing to do with anything else happening at the time. At least Dana Walsh joined the main plot in a big way halfway through while Kim only had a few good scenes where she cried because Jack was in bad shape.

wordsauce posted:

I was so obsessed with this show in the early years. I blogged about it weekly and even made this dumb video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd8LqcqdQMQ

Hah. I've never made a video so you have me beat in that arena. Like a lot of people, I stopped caring during season 6 but those first five years I took the bad with the good and became a lot more fanatical about 24 than I maybe should have. *Insert I REGRET NOTHING gif here*

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Ninjasaurus posted:

Kim and the Cougar has become a meme at this point but in actuality it lasted about 30 seconds and was probably the least dumb thing that happened to her in season 2. It's the rest of her misadventures I can't stand.

Likewise, the cougar thing is retarded but barely lasts. It's the stuff with the daughter she babysits/"kidnapping" her, her musician boyfriend, the guy with the bomb shelter, the convenience store robbery, etc.

I started my re-watch of season 8. Dana Walsh, like someone already said, is so loving sketchy for a person with a new identity who's supposed to be playing it cool. The new director of CTU New York still won't listen to Jack and undermines Chloe and her abilities. At this point I'm just excited for Jack to put on his Iron Man gear and go on a rampage.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Season 6 had... well, I've blotted that season out. I think the chinese came back or some such horseshit.
And to top it all off, they only 'come back' in like the last five episodes or something. It's painfully tacked on. The second Jack neutralizes Fayed/the bomb threat, he gets a phone call from Cheng :psyduck:.

Oliver Reed fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 28, 2014

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Oliver Reed posted:

I started my re-watch of season 8. Dana Walsh, like someone already said, is so loving sketchy for a person with a new identity who's supposed to be playing it cool. The new director of CTU New York still won't listen to Jack and undermines Chloe and her abilities. At this point I'm just excited for Jack to put on his Iron Man gear and go on a rampage.

For me, season 8 improves immensely at precisely the moment Dana Walsh garrotes Stephen Root's character. Sure, the "she's a mole" twist made no sense and I happen to think Stephen Root is one of the great unsung character actors but it seemed like each episode was better than the last from that point forward. The dirty bomb/Hassan endgame finally takes place followed by an epic final stretch of episodes.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

To be honest the last S8 episode I watched brought back Renee and that sorta flared my interest. It's fun watching her play something of a badass after all she went through on day 7.

She dyed her hair a darker color. Like Chloe in the LAD teaser :emo:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm really curious as to how they are going to use Audrey this season.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm really curious as to how they are going to use Audrey this season.

Her husband/loved one will end up being a mole, kill her, and cause Jack to go on a bigger rampage with her dad then he was doing before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

President Heller uses all of his power to keep Jack away from Audrey, she talks to him secretly about how the government is compromised and her father might be involved, Jack tries to stop it, etc. Or some variation thereof.

• Locked thread