Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shredder should be Japanese:colbert:
And making bonsai trees:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

The turtles were pretty cool, everything else was a bit cringe worthy, from the generic speech at the beginning, to the fact that Megan Fox is somehow in this movie. I will wait and see.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The turtles' faces are really creepy :stare:

Also, whoever thought it was a good idea to made a grim n' gritty trailer needs to be kicked in the balls, the turtles should be fun and having a good time.

Agreed on the faces, but you're aware of the original TMNT comics, right?

sambafish
Sep 24, 2008

If you havin' hull problems I feel bad for you son/
I got 99 problems, but a breach ain't one/

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The turtles' faces are really creepy :stare:

Also, whoever thought it was a good idea to made a grim n' gritty trailer needs to be kicked in the balls, the turtles should be fun and having a good time.

Yeah, I gotta agree with this. I am aware of the original comics and their darker portrayal, but the tone just seems way too serious for me.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Alhazred posted:

Shredder should be Japanese:colbert:
And making bonsai trees:

Is that Shredder or Baxter Stockman or some Utrom in a humansuit? He talks about "creating" the Turtles.

I agree that Shredder should be Japanese and Baxter should be black.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I like the general design of the turtles and how they each look more different than just the colored mask (although, they look creepy without the mask). I hope it's darker in tone along the lines of the first TMNT movie (rather than the sequels and the shows).

I'm hoping Krang's species show up in a future movie, since the ooze is alien in origin (right?), and along with that, we get a proper Baxter, and Bebop and Rocksteady.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Oh man, that looks awful. That terrible speech, "Heroes are not born. They're created." That...only makes even a little sense if you view it in the context of, "I grew mutant turtles." Generic, "City under attack" action. Megan Fox not getting a single word in doesn't give me high hopes on her having any actual role in this movie under than, "Person the Turtles have to save." Which, yeah, that's pretty much April O'Neil, but that doesn't make it very compelling.

I won't pass judgement yet on the Turtles themselves, because they're barely in this trailer. But as a teaser, that did not make me look forward to seeing more. The mask gag wasn't funny, and it's played up like they're pausing for laughter.

Yikes.

Also, (spoiler from the trailer itself) Shredder was trying to create heroes? From Turtles? With April's father? What? I'm not against messing with an origin, that's not my problem. But that, as far as we know now, makes no drat sense.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 27, 2014

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Maybe the film's villain wasn't being entirely honest with its heroine.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Surlaw posted:

Maybe the film's villain wasn't being entirely honest with its heroine.

Yeah, that's fine. But this is the first trailer. This is where you hook an audience. You don't have to go into a plot in a teaser, but here they did. And that's what they gave us. And it makes no sense.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

The mask gag wasn't funny

Nah, it was.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ThermoPhysical posted:

All of these sound so crazy, it's hilarious.

What are the issues these happen in? Just...wow.

The part with the mutant hunting and the resurrection of Jean after the Dark Phoenix saga was part of the first X-factor comic that started in 1986. I think the team was formed a bit before they got their own comic. The team's intent was to get people to reveal or turn in mutants so the team could help them in secret. So they had commercials on TV telling people to call them if they ever spot a mutant so they can capture the menace. This of course backfires badly since they manage to rile up even more anti-human hysteria. The whole X-factor thing was probably the second worst idea any character has had in the X-Men comics, only just beaten by "provoking the embodiment of an unfathomably powerful cosmic force into a psychotic rage". It's still one of my favorite runs.

The girlfriend bit was part of the "Inferno" saga in 1989. Since it's a comic she reveals herself to be an evil super-villain on literally the next page after he asks her. She's also a clone of Jean Grey because why not. Still, I actually gasped out loud when I read that issue because why would he ask her something like that. Now that I think about it, Cyclops actually abandoned the very same girlfriend along with his newborn son to go found the X-factor team. He's not exactly the best family man :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Nah, it was.

Maybe if you're 8 years old.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, that's fine. But this is the first trailer. This is where you hook an audience. You don't have to go into a plot in a teaser, but here they did. And that's what they gave us. And it makes no sense.

He is probably talking about the green poo poo that turns everything into giant superhuman mutants. It makes perfect sense.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Nope, I'm actually a fair bit older than that.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Rhyno posted:

Nah, I thought it was pretty good.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

It's Michaelangelo so it fits pretty well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Nope, I'm actually a fair bit older than that.

I guess not emotionally then!

I keed I keed.

To change gears again, something about KA2 really bugged me. THIS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXSn8Q1-dEI

This girl is supposed to be 15-16. This entire sequence is really loving creepy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm not the biggest fan of Jonathan Liebesman's visual style, it's too handheld and ugly...but I'd rather have that then Not Michael Bay but Michael Bay style. It doesn't feel genuine. :(

Oh well. I'll probably watch it.

As for KA2, that whole movie is really creepy. And bland. I compared the first one to the second with Waffles. The first Kick-rear end is a tasty waffle. Sweet. Savory. Delicious. The sequel is an old soggy off brand Ego waffle that's been sitting on the counter for hours soaking up the syrup.

Kick-rear end 2 is a soggy gross waffles.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I guess not emotionally then!

It's nice being old enough that I can like silly jokes again. There's an age range where you're still burnt enough about being "treated like a kid" that you reject things as being "for an eight year old", and then you actually get comfortable as an adult and stop giving a poo poo.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's nice being old enough that I can like silly jokes again. There's an age range where you're still burnt enough about being "treated like a kid" that you reject things as being "for an eight year old", and then you actually get comfortable as an adult and stop giving a poo poo.

It's why people have such a [mock?] reaction against puns.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Tezcatlipoca posted:

He is probably talking about the green poo poo that turns everything into giant superhuman mutants. It makes perfect sense.

Is that happening in this movie? Because the preview is showing me that line while also showing me giant mutant turtles. I thought the impression was that he was talking about creating the turtles.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rhyno posted:

Maybe you should think twice about seeing the drat movie named "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" if that's the case.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

thrawn527 posted:

Is that happening in this movie? Because the preview is showing me that line while also showing me giant mutant turtles. I thought the impression was that he was talking about creating the turtles.

It's explicitly showing the glowy green goop while he's saying the "heroes aren't born, they're created" section. Given that he is also the evil villain, I take his speech to also mean that committing atrocities as a bad guy is giving our heroes an opportunity to step up and become heroic, though I doubt he is intending it that way. For a teaser, it's enough.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Mask thing was funny but Megan Fox as protagonist sinks the whole thing. She had zero charisma and presence in the Transformers movie and I doubt it will be different here. The turtles look really good in motion even if their faces kind of look fake in a distracting way. Mikey really should have been emoting more when delivering the mask line.

Akalies
May 31, 2000

Rhyno posted:

To change gears again, something about KA2 really bugged me. THIS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXSn8Q1-dEI

This girl is supposed to be 15-16. This entire sequence is really loving creepy.

Ugh. Yes it is. I enjoyed a lot of the film, but when this scene came on my friend and I both looked over at each other with a sense of confusion about what the film was trying to communicate to us. A lot of Mindy's arc has to deal with her coming to grips with her own budding sexuality, sure, but it was so sleazy I can't begin to imagine what the thinking behind it was. Also it looks like the actress was 17 when Kick rear end 2 was released, so that just adds to it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Maybe the turtles aren't the heroes he wanted to create.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Jamesman posted:

Fuckin Halle Berry doesn't even turn around to see him. She's just laughing and doesn't even know why.

Maybe she's watching the Catwoman flick on a monitor off-screen?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Maybe you should think twice about seeing the drat movie named "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" if that's the case.

I wasn't planning on seeing it and the original incarnation of the characters was not aimed at children so your argument holds no water.

Akalies posted:

Ugh. Yes it is. I enjoyed a lot of the film, but when this scene came on my friend and I both looked over at each other with a sense of confusion about what the film was trying to communicate to us. A lot of Mindy's arc has to deal with her coming to grips with her own budding sexuality, sure, but it was so sleazy I can't begin to imagine what the thinking behind it was. Also it looks like the actress was 17 when Kick rear end 2 was released, so that just adds to it.

I don't care that she's 17 (still creepy), the character is 15, 16 at most. The first one didn't have anything so creepy as this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rhyno posted:

I wasn't planning on seeing it and the original incarnation of the characters was not aimed at children so your argument holds no water.

The past 30 years of TMNT crap has been aimed at kids.

Akalies
May 31, 2000

Rhyno posted:

I don't care that she's 17 (still creepy), the character is 15, 16 at most. The first one didn't have anything so creepy as this.

I'm saying that the fact that she (the actress) was a minor adds to the (already high) creep factor. For whatever reason the scene was a bit easier for me to swallow when I assumed the actress in her mid twenties. I don't know why - maybe the hope that they were trying to sexualize the actress rather than the character?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The past 30 years of TMNT crap has been aimed at kids.

The not exactly, there've been plenty of non kiddie TMNT comics.

Akalies posted:

I'm saying that the fact that she (the actress) was a minor adds to the (already high) creep factor. For whatever reason the scene was a bit easier for me to swallow when I assumed the actress in her mid twenties. I don't know why - maybe the hope that they were trying to sexualize the actress rather than the character?

Gotcha. Sexualizing either is still gross.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The mask gag was the best part of the trailer, and the moment I switched from being suspicious to kinda wanting to see the movie.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

His point was that "I wasn't planning on seeing it and the original incarnation of the characters was not aimed at children so your argument holds no water." is a stupid thing to say when they've been marketed towards children far more than to adults.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Based on Shredder's speech being played over ninja footsoldiers causing problems, he presumably means "creating heroes" in two ways. He wants his audience to believe that he means using the green goo to create a hero, but he secretly also means creating the conditions (ninja rampages) in which an (artificial, secretly despotic) hero could shine. He's running Syndrome's game from The Incredibles and being cute by expressing it in a line that can be taken two ways. There may also be a bit of Ra's al Ghul in which he actually thinks society needs a firmer hand at the tiller, and that atrocities can be excused to bring that about.

The trailer then compounds on this by showing us the TMNT, who are actually-heroic and the accidental byproduct of Shredder's research, making him more honest than he knew.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 27, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tezcatlipoca posted:

His point was that "I wasn't planning on seeing it and the original incarnation of the characters was not aimed at children so your argument holds no water." is a stupid thing to say when they've been marketed towards children far more than to adults.

Rhyno posted:

Don't do this to me. A joke for eight year olds is fine in your movie about the doggone Ninja Turtles.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Compared to humping dogs and Decepticon balls the mask joke was positively high-brow.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Especially when it's coming out of Michelangelo's mouth.

He's a party dude.

(( hint hint - the movie is taking a ton of queues from the archie comics & the cartoon ))

Electromax
May 6, 2007
That joke will occupy precisely 4 seconds of film runtime. There's always this urge to magnify every moment of a trailer because people are fiending for ANYTHING to learn/see/judge about a new media property, but the Turtles have never been written to a level aimed for 17+ year olds like I'd guess most (all?) of this thread is.

I'm 25, the mask joke didn't make me laugh but it fits how I imagine Mikey in my head. If this movie can at least be as entertaining as I still find Turtles 1 (2 is still fun for nostalgia, 3 has aged pretty badly though) it'll exceed my expectations. The hillside bit and Leo's flip look like they've got a good sense of movement to the Turtles at least.

As for Megan Fox, she's whatever but April has never exactly been a pivotal character development-wise, in the older movies she just got into trouble and they rescued her, or they used her apartment. They probably won't be asking a whole lot out of any actress there.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
3 hasn't aged badly. It's exactly as bad as everyone remembers.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is it really that gritty and grim? It's taking itself super seriously, but the monologue is still pretty corny and melodramatic. I think it looks ugly for the same reason I find a lot of Bay's stuff to be ugly (I know it's a different director, but still). Despite that, the little stinger at the end was perfect in terms of tone.

Not to be too accusatory, but I feel like a lot of the time people seem to confuse being goofy with being self-aware or tongue in cheek. I honestly like my goofiness to try to keep a straight face. Trust the audience to understand this is silly, and have the confidence to not apologize for the silliness.

It will be a bummer if Megan Fox is just going to be there to be pretty. She's really shown in some recent roles like Friends with Kids that there is a decent actress behind the beauty who could totally pull off a fun April if asked to.

I also still don't like the revamped origin. It's better than them being aliens, but for the mutants, I think the randomness of their creation works well for them. They're mistakes. They have no reason to exist. They have no destiny. They're something that shouldn't be. But they have this mentor who gives them meaning, purpose, and discipline. And--no matter the origin--there is something really nice to the idea that Splinter believes that these principles can be taught to them even if it's in his most early incarnation in which it can be argued that he mostly uses the turtles for revenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Renoistic posted:

The part with the mutant hunting and the resurrection of Jean after the Dark Phoenix saga was part of the first X-factor comic that started in 1986. I think the team was formed a bit before they got their own comic. The team's intent was to get people to reveal or turn in mutants so the team could help them in secret. So they had commercials on TV telling people to call them if they ever spot a mutant so they can capture the menace. This of course backfires badly since they manage to rile up even more anti-human hysteria. The whole X-factor thing was probably the second worst idea any character has had in the X-Men comics, only just beaten by "provoking the embodiment of an unfathomably powerful cosmic force into a psychotic rage". It's still one of my favorite runs.

Yeah, X-Men is always called a civil rights metaphor with Magneto as Malcolm X but from 1963 to 1986 most mutant rights issues in the series were solved by punching Sentinels. There was God Loves, Man Kills and a few other things by Claremont but mostly it was not a social issue metaphor until then.

• Locked thread