Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Business Plan 1964

Budgets
pre:
Routes   Planes   Biz     Flex    Bank
------   ------   ------  ------  ------
24,117   19,263    9,787  30,486       0
Our budget spread tips gently in favor new connections.

Primary Objectives:
pre:
6 - Doug
Taking up the quality of quantity from bargain prices on Doug.

Secondary Objectives:
pre:
4 - Establish Presence in North America via Chicago hub
3 - Develop Asia in anticipation of Tokyo Olympic Games
We’ll throw our hat into the ring overseas, and continue our battle for the east.

Stretch Goals:
pre:
Boats
Semper Fidelis Navicula

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
1964 - TokyAero Drift

Q1 1964

Groundbreaking for our new hub in America. Strangely, ConAir have taken more slots here than they can possibly use.

Their loss, our gain, as we have cash on hand to bring in further Doug. I’ve got big plans for you, Doug.

Typical bids in New York, and stocking up on Lockheeds.

The Americans get all experimental with a direct route from Europe to Asia, allowing their network to bypass our grip on Tehran. They also expand service in Australia, linking Melbourne and bidding in Brisbane.

The most activity we’ve seen from Russia in a while, linking Brussels and bidding in southern France.

Another type of disaster. This will absolutely crush Sydney’s stats for a turn.

This will end soon. It’s been a nice little boon for us.

Hong Kong also expands again. 18 more slots to fight over with the Americans.

Pretty ordinary turn on the big board. With so few active routes in Oceania, that flood didn’t cause nearly as much damage to anyone’s bottom line as that storm in New York. On a local scale, it ruined a lot of people’s days - only 1,644 people flew in the region this quarter, vs the 7,500-8,000 that’s been the norm.

Q2 1964

Look close, and you can see the tiny speck of red where their Aussie route suffered from the flood. They’ve not let that scare them off though.

Look close, and you can see the specks of black where they manage to break even.

A

B

C

Easy as adding 400 seats per week to our network. 4800 per quarter.

With demand for travel on the rise, THROM is becoming antiquated. LONTHR’s jets add up to 800 seats per week, well over the 640 found in eight Doug-loads. It will take great investment if would see THROM reclaim his crown.

Speaking of Doug-loads, time to press our luck in Japan. A second plane sets us up for daily flights to Tokyo.

Fishing around for other opportunities, I find Osaka and Fukuoka filled. We could only try for a single slot in each.

Sapporo, on the other hand, is open season.

Our last swipe at New York got us two more slots. With no other requests for bids, I try for one more.

A round of keeping pressure on our Hubs will start in Asia, buying 8 slots in Hong Kong.

Sunken Australia. This hit them worse than being at war hurt Cairo.

Same ‘ol from black.

:911:

All those houses getting swept into the sea left plenty of room for new runways!

Red Airline is Strongest.

In case you missed it, let’s look at the instant replay:

:smug:

Q3 1964

The Ilyushin Design Bureau makes a triumphant return with Russia’s first modern jet liner. With stats like a B707 at 3/4 the price, the Soviets finally have something that can compete on the global market.

Another dip into South America. Black and Blue are all about getting into each other’s back yards.

Breathe it in a breathe it deep, folks.

Smells like victory.

Doug settles in nicely at his new place Stateside. We could get used to this.

Another round of Chicago-style negotiation will help make that happen.

Note the American tourism boom. It won’t stay long.

I celebrate our success in Japan with a 30% hike in fares. Sports are coming

A little highlight from ConAir’s portfolio. A modern jet liner assigned to sell 12 tickets to Pakistan. At least they had the sense to suspend this route that would cost them $300K per turn.

And what I came here for. Expanding our service to Japan made ConAir’s competing line implode. That, and all the business they lost to the flood. The flood helped.

They have nothing to say at this time.

Blue continues to push into Australia.

Sports.

Black and Blue continue to fight over the southern hemisphere, and our lead in Asia holds strong through Sports.

Q4 1964

Oh Joy.

In better news, Piles of Olympic cash.

And other than that, there’s nothing new to report. While I could send Jerry off on another adventure, but this point we’re already sitting on a lot of unused time. Eventually the costs start to add up. He gets some time off.

Links to France, bids in Denmark.

Planes.

Australia.

Tourism!

We come down a little hard off Sports. Once our prices re-adjust we’ll be back in motion.

1964 Year-End Review

They’re coming after us in China.

Wow.

Resting easy.

And us.

Though we didn’t break any quarterly records this year, the new additions to our network were all solid use of Doug and our performance was highly consistent, totaling $61,390K in profits. We’ve reasserted out lead in Asia, have a solid base in North America and have kept our existing network running at capacity.

Budget Carryover:
pre:
Routes   Planes   Biz       Flex    Bank
------   ------   ------  ------  ------
     0        0     9,787   4,376       0
Coming up on the halfway point of the scenario, we've reached a point where we can reliably grow our network year to year. What's next?

Build our Plan, and Cut our Budget for 1965.

A_Raving_Loon fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 25, 2014

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
We've been doing better than expected. Let's treat ourselves to a boat. :spooky:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Buy Planes until we can satiate THROM with jet service to match 'Murica.

edit: oh and flex a little cash too.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
I say we run an ad campaign to really push our ticket sales, and keep upgrading our fleet to make use of the new jet advances.

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

You think you're looking at me through some window, when all you're really doing is looking in a mirror.
Upgrade our fleet with Doug. Sell prop planes to fund jets in phases.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Let's budget for planes this time around, focusing on growing and modernizing our fleet. The jet age is here and we'd be fools not to take advantage of it. If there's room in the budget, see what can be done with that modernization to make THROM even more of a living, breathing, magical cash machine.

Next year, I hope we can start the march onto Murica's turf. Oh yes.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I want a yacht! Boat!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Techno Remix posted:

Let's budget for planes this time around, focusing on growing and modernizing our fleet. The jet age is here and we'd be fools not to take advantage of it. If there's room in the budget, see what can be done with that modernization to make THROM even more of a living, breathing, magical cash machine.

Next year, I hope we can start the march onto Murica's turf. Oh yes.

I don't even know this year. I'm gonna say flex and agitate for DC-8 to sate THROM.

What about the 727? It would be nice running between our non American hubs? We don't have a history with Boeing though,so maybe see if Douglas comes up with a new jet and jump on it like a mad dog.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Planes We need more planes all the planes planes in the ground in the air in the sea in space.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Budget for planes. Every jet we get on a major route is one or more prop jobs we can use on a minor one.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Just so I can say "I told you so", how is Murica's Europe-to-HongKong route doing?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Budget to Planes and whatever the hell buys us a boat.

Buy planes to replace the old planes and get that boat.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Flex it.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
Voting for some more Doug-LAS. Better plane is worth our effort more.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Just so I can say "I told you so", how is Murica's Europe-to-HongKong route doing?

Here's the full triangle:

Direct link's doing great, and their mid-far east route is doing a smidge better than it was two years ago.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Sounds like we have a fair amount of empty slots. Time to open more routes and buy more planes and upgrade the planes we have.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Data tracking now comes with regional history graphs.

Those little sawtooth sections are quite common for the AI as they wiggle fares back and forth, looking for an optimal rate that's between the 5% ticks of the bar. Likewise, flat bars are common for us whenever I get our current schedule to its limit.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Are all of AirMarx's status updates going to be silent from now on? They're rocking a solid trend of zero passengers.

Anyway, I'd like to see if we can steal AirMurica's business in Mexico, so I'd like to see if we can expand the Chicago hub southward little by little.

Edit: Ah, whoops. I totally didn't pay attention to either the bottom of that gif or the top of that graph, geez.

ElTipejoLoco fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 25, 2014

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
That graph is just for Southeast Asia. They move about 30k people per turn, primarily in Europe. They've definitely crippled themselves with their inability to grasp that the Tu104 is a bad plane, but if they can scrape together enough money to start getting IL62s I expect they'll make a bit of a comeback.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Gonna buck the trend and vote for more routes. We aim for Moscow! We shall pierce the dying heart of AirMarx and lap up its precious lifeblood!

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

A_Raving_Loon posted:

That graph is just for Southeast Asia. They move about 30k people per turn, primarily in Europe. They've definitely crippled themselves with their inability to grasp that the Tu104 is a bad plane, but if they can scrape together enough money to start getting IL62s I expect they'll make a bit of a comeback.

I can't remember what happens if a company goes out of business. Do they just vanish or do the other competitors get to buy off some of their assets?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Casualty posted:

I can't remember what happens if a company goes out of business. Do they just vanish or do the other competitors get to buy off some of their assets?

Neither. If a CPU goes bankrupt (this usually takes some time as they will close routes and sell businesses to keep their corpse afloat for a while) they get bailed out with a new ~$1b in starting funds, plus whatever meager assets they had left.

It doesn't really make any difference since they usually squander their war chest and go stagnant again within 2 years. It's hard for the AI to dig themselves out of the red route death spiral. The AI responds to tough competition and low profits by sticking oversized planes on marginal routes and slashing their maintenance budget, so customers will still avoid their flights since they don't go as many places they want to go and will also probably kill them.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Just ran a quick test to confirm that, as I'd never seen an airline die before.

It also finally clarified the vague wording on the lose condition - it's one year with a negative bank balance that triggers bankruptcy.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Gabriel Pope posted:

Neither. If a CPU goes bankrupt (this usually takes some time as they will close routes and sell businesses to keep their corpse afloat for a while) they get bailed out with a new ~$1b in starting funds, plus whatever meager assets they had left.

It doesn't really make any difference since they usually squander their war chest and go stagnant again within 2 years. It's hard for the AI to dig themselves out of the red route death spiral. The AI responds to tough competition and low profits by sticking oversized planes on marginal routes and slashing their maintenance budget, so customers will still avoid their flights since they don't go as many places they want to go and will also probably kill them.

So, works like actual Eastern Bloc airline, da :v:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

I don't even know this year. I'm gonna say flex and agitate for DC-8 to sate THROM.

What about the 727? It would be nice running between our non American hubs? We don't have a history with Boeing though,so maybe see if Douglas comes up with a new jet and jump on it like a mad dog.

The Douglas DC-9 should be a couple years off, but I would get some 727s first, as the DC-9 may not arrive soon enough to make a big difference in this scenario, and also is a bit smaller.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

I've noticed that (most/some of) the jet airliners, in addition to carrying me too far away, have far worse fuel and mechanical efficiency than our trusty turboprops. They have way more seats, of course. Does anyone have enough knowledge to comment on whether the increased traffic balances out? I've always been wary of switching over because the really low efficiency numbers scare me.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Techno Remix posted:

I've noticed that (most/some of) the jet airliners, in addition to carrying me too far away, have far worse fuel and mechanical efficiency than our trusty turboprops. They have way more seats, of course. Does anyone have enough knowledge to comment on whether the increased traffic balances out? I've always been wary of switching over because the really low efficiency numbers scare me.

Without getting into the math of it, at this time fuel is cheap, and maintenance rating is only really a concern in this game when it's abysmally low (Tu-104), or your maintenance budget is too low (ours is not). Assuming we have an appropriate level of demand for the size of aircraft and number of flights on any given route, the number of additional tickets you sell by running a jet will almost always pay for the difference, and then some.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

You should gouge customers on special occasions. We could have profited even more off of Sports if the tickets had been at 130% price. So many people are going there that the competition does not matter.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Casualty posted:

Assuming we have an appropriate level of demand for the size of aircraft and number of flights on any given route, the number of additional tickets you sell by running a jet will almost always pay for the difference, and then some.

The one key here is being able to fill flights. You have to pay maintenance overhead on your plane even if you cut flights per week, so if you can only fill part of a huge jet's flight time the cost will eat you alive. If you can fill max flights 100% though you're golden.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I've been watching for a while, and at this time I believe that it is best to vote boat.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Boat votes basically mean banking all of our profits until we can afford a ferry in Athens, right? Because if it means something else, I'd like to change it specifically to this.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
If we want a boat, we'll have to vote business with it.

MadcapViking
Jan 6, 2006
Single malt Pork Baron
More Doug, with a preference for jets. We might as well get that boat, because otherwise we will have to hear about it forever. In the meantime, continue dominating ConAir in their own backyard, and keep getting up in Murica's grille.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Gabriel Pope posted:

The one key here is being able to fill flights. You have to pay maintenance overhead on your plane even if you cut flights per week, so if you can only fill part of a huge jet's flight time the cost will eat you alive. If you can fill max flights 100% though you're golden.

On the routes which we are looking at installing jet aircraft onto, there is no question that we will be able to fill jet aircraft easily. THROM, ROMHK, HKSYD, and even our future midrange domestic routes in the US, could all benefit from jets without question. We have enough demand at the current levels, and enough wiggle room with ticket prices that those could be adjusted if need be. The prop jobs we then pull off can be stuffed into short hops and lower-demand routes, or sold.

If you think about it, buying jets is actually a cheap way to get us to open new routes, because for every jet we're placing on a route, we free up two or three smaller and slower aircraft for other duties.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
:siren:Attention All Boat-Voters:siren:

And there are quite a few of you, so attend well. The acquisition which has for so many years eluded you is finally within our grasp. Before this decade is out, will put a man on a boat and return him safely to his point of origin having payed us large quantities of money for the pleasure of it. But if we are to do this, and do it right and do it first there must be votes.

(Jerry's the one who is doing all the hard work, so I just want you to stay cool for a minute.)

The traditional target of the board's affections is also the most expensive of our options, with a purchase price which still exceeds our annual income. With out full budget and carryover adding up to $75,553, we could just afford to get this if we gave up all other purchases for 1965. If trends hold, we'd have the cash on hand to open negotiations in Q3.

Next in line, an option with two distinct advantages - a price nearly (but not quite) a Doug-worth lower, allowing us to make our purchase in Q2, and the chance to own a business called "Shanghai Pleasure Boat".

And a finally, something that's been right under our noses for a long time. Our ties with Brittan drive the price tag low enough that we could claim it right away and still have money left to add a plane this year.

A decision must be made:

First, be it decided if you are Pro-boat or Anti-boat.

If you are Pro-Boat - You must declare your choice of Athens, Shanghai, Hong Kong to be our ten-year anniversary gift to board of directors.

A pro-boat result means we will override the usual budget process and take all due measures to procure our vessel of choice.

An Anti-Boat result will see us carry on as normal and disregard all Hydro-business in the coming year.

:siren:LET BOAT-VOTE BEGIN!!:siren:

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Pro-Boat, Hong Kong

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Pro-boat, and let it be Hong Kong! Strike while the iron is hot, I say.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Anti-Boat, buy a 727 or two instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?
Anti-boat, More Doug. This is Aerobiz, after all.

• Locked thread