Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Yeah, it's already been mentioned that the second was just a repeat of the first with a different end boss.
When I first saw it in a theater in Caseville, the first thing I thought when everyone was denying ghosts existed was "What the gently caress? Ghosts terrorize New York for some decent amount of time, huge marshmallow man, and now people act like it didn't happen?"
The best part was when the kids screamed "He-Man". That show was terribly outdated when the movie debuted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oh my god, I actually never looked at it that way (which is to say 'normally'). I didn't think for a second, 'hey, didn't that judge see Stay Puft? The interdimensional portal? The mass ghost exodus from the firehouse?'.

Good god :psyduck:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Watching Ghostbusters recently, my new favorite(I find a new one every time I watch) line is when Ray and Peter are exhausted as they walk into the firehouse, and Winston is there being interviewed by Janine. Venkman says something to Ray about how he doesn't look very good. Ray goes "Really?", to which Venkman responds "Well, you didn't used to look like this." As usual its Murray's perfect deadpan delivery that makes it.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

don Jaime posted:

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet: LEGO is releasing an Ecto-1 set with all four Ghostbusters this June. The downside is there's no ghost in the set for them to bust, nor are they making the firehouse proposed in the original crowdsource proposal.

http://www.t3.com/news/lego-unveils-ghostbusters-set

With this, there's a real possibility the Ghostbusters will turn up in the Lego Movie sequel.

Ok, wow, I need to get that for my daughter.

And me.

Mostly me.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, it's already been mentioned that the second was just a repeat of the first with a different end boss.
When I first saw it in a theater in Caseville, the first thing I thought when everyone was denying ghosts existed was "What the gently caress? Ghosts terrorize New York for some decent amount of time, huge marshmallow man, and now people act like it didn't happen?"
The best part was when the kids screamed "He-Man". That show was terribly outdated when the movie debuted

That's pretty much my point, though. Without the two scenes I mentioned, the idea that people forgot about all the ghosts vanishes. Instead, it feels like the Ghostbusters wound up inadvertently killing their own business by defeating Gozer. Instead of people not suddenly not believing ghosts exist, it becomes people forgetting about the Ghostbusters because their 15 minutes of fame were over. It makes a lot more logical sense than "everyone forgot about ghosts".

I mean, if you're going to reset the plot, at least have it make sense why you're resetting the plot.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
You can KEEP the five dollars!

That whole segment is hilarious.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
"If there's a steady paycheck in it, I'll believe anything you say."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

effectual posted:

You can KEEP the five dollars!

That whole segment is hilarious.

I love that the further away from 1984 we get, the funnier that joke about the $5 gets.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I love how incredulous Venkman is.

"We're PAYING you aren't we???"

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The walls in the 53rd precinct were bleeding.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The_Doctor posted:

I love that the further away from 1984 we get, the funnier that joke about the $5 gets.

Yeah, especially since it's very apparent that the dude would have just gotten shocked fifty times if they'd kept going. I showed the movie to my brother for the first time since he was around four (he's 21 now), and in that scene he said "You know, I never noticed what an Incredible dickhead Venkman can be." And it made him love the movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Coffee And Pie posted:

The walls in the 53rd precinct were bleeding.

The delivery of that line is just badass.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

I was born in 83. Was five bucks really that much more than it is now, purchasing-power wise?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

MisterBibs posted:

I was born in 83. Was five bucks really that much more than it is now, purchasing-power wise?

It's a little over $10 today, I think.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MisterBibs posted:

The price of a gallon of gas was $1.25.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Rhyno posted:

A pack of cigarettes was around 75 cents, and it was about same for a cup of coffee, I believe.

I was watching this earlier out of boredom, I always forget how much smoking there is in this movie.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Yeah, especially since it's very apparent that the dude would have just gotten shocked fifty times if they'd kept going. I showed the movie to my brother for the first time since he was around four (he's 21 now), and in that scene he said "You know, I never noticed what an Incredible dickhead Venkman can be." And it made him love the movie.

Oddly, I still think he is doing part of the experiment right. It is "the effect of negative reinforcement on esp ability". So just telling one they are always right and always telling the other they are wrong is a valid way to conduct it, although it lacks a control group.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SublimeDelusions posted:

Oddly, I still think he is doing part of the experiment right. It is "the effect of negative reinforcement on esp ability". So just telling one they are always right and always telling the other they are wrong is a valid way to conduct it, although it lacks a control group.

But really he's just trying to get the pants of the co-ed.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh my god, I actually never looked at it that way (which is to say 'normally'). I didn't think for a second, 'hey, didn't that judge see Stay Puft? The interdimensional portal? The mass ghost exodus from the firehouse?'.

Good god :psyduck:
They actually acknowledge this and basically claim that the Ghostbusters are special effects people who conned the city.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

A pack of cigarettes was around 75 cents, and it was about same for a cup of coffee, I believe.

I was watching this earlier out of boredom, I always forget how much smoking there is in this movie.

I love that aspect. Because it's either that or some heavy drinking to help deal with the fact that you just sent someones grandma to ghost jail. And then you have to do it again in an hour. That some heavy poo poo to deal with and smoking can help.

LividLiquid posted:

They actually acknowledge this and basically claim that the Ghostbusters are special effects people who conned the city.

That's an even more lovely excuse than "I don't believe" since then Hollywood would have called them up and they'd be billionaires if they could do that poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LividLiquid posted:

Peck brings this up in the original film ("These men are consummate snowball artists! They use sensitive nerve gases to induce hallucinations -- people think they're seeing ghosts. And they call these bozos, who conveniently show up to deal with the problem with a fake electronic light show") but it isn't ever touched upon in GBII.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Also if it were the case they would almost certainly be in prison.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

mr. stefan posted:

Also if it were the case they would almost certainly be in prison.

Or hired by the US government to help them set up nerve gas undetected for a whole goddamned city.

Speaking of the US government, why the hell were they not brought up at all? You have guys running around with weapons that can melt tank armor and blow up all life on earth, and they don't want a crack at those packs?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

Or hired by the US government to help them set up nerve gas undetected for a whole goddamned city.

Speaking of the US government, why the hell were they not brought up at all? You have guys running around with weapons that can melt tank armor and blow up all life on earth, and they don't want a crack at those packs?

Because it's a comedy.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Because it's a comedy.

Which is why the EPA threatened to imprison them and accused them of poisoning people. Gotcha.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Timby posted:

Peck brings this up in the original film ("These men are consummate snowball artists! They use sensitive nerve gases to induce hallucinations -- people think they're seeing ghosts. And they call these bozos, who conveniently show up to deal with the problem with a fake electronic light show") but it isn't ever touched upon in GBII.
Oh, right. :doh:

I knew somebody's said it, though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

Which is why the EPA threatened to imprison them and accused them of poisoning people. Gotcha.

:goonsay:

My point is the conflict only needs to go so far until it serves its purpose. Especially in a comedy.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

:goonsay:

My point is the conflict only needs to go so far until it serves its purpose. Especially in a comedy.

I wasn't referring to just the first movie, I was referring to ANYTHING GB related. I didn't know if the military was mentioned in a shooting script for either movie as a throwaway line or somesuch, or any of the comic books etc. I remember something about it in the cartoon but that was for slimer or some other ghost.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

MrJacobs posted:

I love that aspect. Because it's either that or some heavy drinking to help deal with the fact that you just sent someones grandma to ghost jail. And then you have to do it again in an hour. That some heavy poo poo to deal with and smoking can help.

My experiences in the game have undoubtedly tainted things, but I always felt that most of the 'ghosts' the team deals with are either demons or human spirits so far gone that they don't act or look like their grandma.

I can't remember where I read it, but the glimpse-into-the-containment-cell scene was written out specifically because they didn’t want the audience to think that the Ghostbusters were doing a morally despicable job and/or were having to cope with that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

I wasn't referring to just the first movie, I was referring to ANYTHING GB related. I didn't know if the military was mentioned in a shooting script for either movie as a throwaway line or somesuch, or any of the comic books etc. I remember something about it in the cartoon but that was for slimer or some other ghost.

Fair enough. Then again, though, if you bring in that element to the GB storyline (with either movie, the cartoon, or through the comics), it opens up a huge issue that I don't think anyone really, honestly would want to see the guys having to bother with.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That's really it. It wouldn't be a better movie if they dealt with the military and it wouldn't be a better movie if there was a scene explaining why the military doesn't care. So why do something that would make the movie worse just to keep people from wondering?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

MrJacobs posted:

The guy from the EPA was just a foil who accused them of being con artists. If you're going to wonder why the military isn't confiscating their advanced weaponry, you may as well wonder how the world is coping with the fact that ghosts are not only real but also waged an assault on a major city. By that point, it's just taking the premise too seriously.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I feel like it's more acceptable and encouraged to poke holes in these things today than it was thirty years ago, and it's now often a race to call bullshit to look smart.

Tons of people complained about it going unexplained that The Avengers took no part in Iron Man 3, but would it have made for a better movie to have a whole scene where he calls them and they each say why they can't come?

When you get bogged down in explaining every minute detail over actually telling the story, you've now made Star Trek: Voyager.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

MrJacobs posted:

In a couple of drafts of the script Zeddemore has his extremely overqualified resume read off by Janine. I'm sure Timby will know for sure but Zeddemore was definitely military and has training in heavy weapons (I think), so if you really want to fan fiction it (and I know you do) Zeddemore is either an honest hard working veteran, a lying opportunist, or a spy. Also, while not the Government proper, the FBI is all over the end of the film. Look for the guys in trenchcoats and with ear pieces.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I love how you can just say "Look for ______" to spot the guys who are trying to be undercover. :allears:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Rhyno posted:

Ah, back in the day, when gas was a buck and a candy bar was 50 cents. And the dollar you were left by the Tooth Fairy made you rich

MrJacobs posted:

Gostbusters/Short Circuit crossover?

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 28, 2014

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Soulwrangler posted:

In a couple of drafts of the script Zeddemore has his extremely overqualified resume read off by Janine. I'm sure Timby will know for sure but Zeddemore was definitely military and has training in heavy weapons (I think), so if you really want to fan fiction it (and I know you do) Zeddemore is either an honest hard working veteran, a lying opportunist, or a spy. Also, while not the Government proper, the FBI is all over the end of the film. Look for the guys in trenchcoats and with ear pieces.

It's actually Ray, not Janine, who reads it off (this is one of those cases of ad-libbing). From the script:

quote:

STANTZ

He scans Winston's resume, ignoring the flare-up between Janine and
Venkman. They start downstairs to the storage facility.

STANTZ
Very impressive resume. Electronic
countermeasures, Strategic Air Command ...
Black belt in Karate ... Small arms expert
... Mr. Zeddemore, as you may have heard,
we locate ghosts and spirits, trap them with
streams of concentrated quantum energy and
remove them from people's homes, offices and
places of worship.

WINSTON
Yeah, I heard that. Now tell me what you
really do.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

I feel like it's more acceptable and encouraged to poke holes in these things today than it was thirty years ago, and it's now often a race to call bullshit to look smart.

30 years ago we were all hung up on why no one ever reloaded their guns. Also looking for strings.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

LividLiquid posted:

Tons of people complained about it going unexplained that The Avengers took no part in Iron Man 3, but would it have made for a better movie to have a whole scene where he calls them and they each say why they can't come?

When you get bogged down in explaining every minute detail over actually telling the story, you've now made Star Trek: Voyager.

A Marvel editor calls those sort of stories "comics about comics". They distract from the actual plot to service the world, instead of the world servicing the story.

Do insurance companies in Ghostbusters New York have policies that cover ghost hauntings? Is my family covered, not just in slime, if I have to call the Ghostbusters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
R

• Locked thread