Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sup Jossos
What kinda prices you finding? If you find anything under \100,000 with one connection I'd jump on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

peanut posted:

Sup Jossos
What kinda prices you finding? If you find anything under \100,000 with one connection I'd jump on it.

Yo. The flights I've been looking at are either Lufthansa or Emirates, both one stop in the 600-700 euro range (Around y85k). I think that'll probably be hard to beat, but y'never know.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sweet dude go 4 it

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

peanut posted:

Sweet dude go 4 it

Yeah, probs will. Just gotta ask for time off from work :v:

art of spoonbending
Jun 18, 2005

Grimey Drawer
After asking (and not getting any answers) a week or so ago, for anyone else interested in flights from London to Perth for early July, prices have gone up and dropped again to be lower than they were 2 weeks ago. I'm trying to work out if there's a pattern and if they're going to drop substantially lower. They started around 1630 for a particular flight, went up to 1800 odd, now 1590 or so. Hoping they'll go down another hundred in the next month or two.
There are much cheaper flights with Malaysia Airlines strangely enough but we're stuck with emirates and trying to move to a later day.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

art of spoonbending posted:

After asking (and not getting any answers) a week or so ago, for anyone else interested in flights from London to Perth for early July, prices have gone up and dropped again to be lower than they were 2 weeks ago. I'm trying to work out if there's a pattern and if they're going to drop substantially lower. They started around 1630 for a particular flight, went up to 1800 odd, now 1590 or so. Hoping they'll go down another hundred in the next month or two.
Prices go down on Tuesday/Wednesday -

Airlines adjust prices on Monday
Monday night through Tuesday other airlines have webcrawlers that find competitor prices
Tuesday/Wednesday the competitors lower their prices to try and snag customers from the other guys
Thursday/Friday the prices go back up, also the cheap seats are now sold out

art of spoonbending
Jun 18, 2005

Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

Monday night through Tuesday other airlines have webcrawlers that find competitor prices
Tuesday/Wednesday the competitors lower their prices to try and snag customers from the other guys

Yeah, have noticed that. Trying to find a trend in prices over slightly longer periods and whether it's true that it's best to book 8 or 4 weeks prior to the flight, or just book now, even though they're still dropping in price.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

Airlines adjust prices many times a day depending on demand and a bunch of other factors. Revenue management is a hell of a lot more complex than this.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

sellouts posted:

Airlines adjust prices many times a day depending on demand and a bunch of other factors. Revenue management is a hell of a lot more complex than this.

I'm not claiming that this is the only factor - it's just one of the easiest patterns to pick up on, and possibly take advantage of, as the average consumer. At the very least, prices get really nasty if you try to buy during the weekend.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I've got plenty of anecdotal evidence to the contrary but whatever

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is there an easy way to figure out a general time during the year when it's cheap to visit someplace? There's a friend that lives in another city and it'd be nice to plan my trips when visits are cheap, because there aren't many other constraints limiting when I would visit.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

Is there an easy way to figure out a general time during the year when it's cheap to visit someplace? There's a friend that lives in another city and it'd be nice to plan my trips when visits are cheap, because there aren't many other constraints limiting when I would visit.

I'd play around with Google Flights or ITA matrix (calendar of lowest fares) and see what spits out. I'd imagine May-June is good right now, and maybe Sept-Dec depending on what you're looking at.

On a semi-related topic of cheap airfare, has anyone ever tried fuel dumping?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

FISHMANPET posted:

Depends on where it is. There are some well established trends based on seasonality (Europe is always more expensive during the summer) but it widely depends on when and where. There's no search engine or other systematic way to measure this; it's mostly anecdotal and based on past experience which, as we all know, is never a safe prediction of future performance.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

fuseshock posted:

I'd play around with Google Flights or ITA matrix (calendar of lowest fares) and see what spits out. I'd imagine May-June is good right now, and maybe Sept-Dec depending on what you're looking at.

On a semi-related topic of cheap airfare, has anyone ever tried fuel dumping?

I've dumped a couple of fares over the years, MUC, NRT, SNN, ARN, and GIG. It's much more difficult now than it used to be, and the airline I fly most (UA) has politely asked a few folks I know if they would please never do that again. As I do my best to not poo poo where I eat, so to speak, I don't do it anymore.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's the security like for TSA Precheck? Do you still have to do those full body scanners, or is it traditional walkthrough X-ray? I'm thinking about applying to the Global Entry program, but I'm not sure if it's worth it if there's still a full body scan, as I always opt for the manual screening.

E: While the fast Customs clearance is a certainly appeal, I'm applying mainly for the domestic TSA Precheck benefits.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I found a great fare to BKK from AMS in May (AMS BRU BOM BKK BOM BRU, 390 euro) but am unable to book it. Is there any place where I can just dump the fare construction and they'll book it for me?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I found a few flights for my upcoming trip and was curious what's the opinion on Aeroflot? Since I'm travelling to Black Sea coast of Bulgaria, it's the cheapest flight I could find.

Fart Jockey
Aug 13, 2010
Thanks to this thread I learned a lot more about booking. I‘d been watching the prices from Toronto to Osaka - Tokyo to Toronto for a 3 week trip between June 13 to July 6 and I jumped on $1365. I could‘ve gotten it for $1206 but it would‘ve cut the trip a few days short, and stopped over in Finland instead of Vancouver.

For some weird reason Priceline gave me the cheapest fare, when that fare appeared on Kayak and Hipmunk for $1450. My advice is for anyone to check every site possible, despite the price Cheapoair or Priceline appears on Kayak, it could be cheaper on their actual site. The opposite happens too, the $1206 Cheapoair fare I almost jumped on only applied when linked from Hipmunk, Cheapoair‘s site listed it at $1268. And that airline matrix site, along with most sites, didn‘t even list the flight I booked with China Eastern Air. I‘m glad I didn‘t wait any longer too, prices immediately went up to $1500+.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Kobayashi posted:

What's the security like for TSA Precheck? Do you still have to do those full body scanners, or is it traditional walkthrough X-ray? I'm thinking about applying to the Global Entry program, but I'm not sure if it's worth it if there's still a full body scan, as I always opt for the manual screening.

E: While the fast Customs clearance is a certainly appeal, I'm applying mainly for the domestic TSA Precheck benefits.

This is completely out of the scope of this thread and for any further questions the posters in the frequent biz travel thread can help.

But it is this with the standard walk through security.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

calandryll posted:

I found a few flights for my upcoming trip and was curious what's the opinion on Aeroflot? Since I'm travelling to Black Sea coast of Bulgaria, it's the cheapest flight I could find.

I think they literally have the worst safety record on the planet

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

calandryll posted:

They're no better or worse than any other eastern European airline. Coach is coach in most cases. Are you flying them TATL or just connecting once you get to Europe?

teacup posted:

I think they literally have the worst safety record on the planet

Uh, got some data to back that up? That's not even remotely true.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Kobayashi posted:

It's a regular metal detector, and the sensitivity is turned down a bit. It's more like pre-9/11 security and it is wonderful. Since I've had Global Entry, I've never missed Precheck. But it's nice to skip 3+ hour immigration lines too (I'm looking at you, IAH).

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Fart Jockey posted:

Thanks to this thread I learned a lot more about booking. I‘d been watching the prices from Toronto to Osaka - Tokyo to Toronto for a 3 week trip between June 13 to July 6 and I jumped on $1365. I could‘ve gotten it for $1206 but it would‘ve cut the trip a few days short, and stopped over in Finland instead of Vancouver.

For some weird reason Priceline gave me the cheapest fare, when that fare appeared on Kayak and Hipmunk for $1450. My advice is for anyone to check every site possible, despite the price Cheapoair or Priceline appears on Kayak, it could be cheaper on their actual site. The opposite happens too, the $1206 Cheapoair fare I almost jumped on only applied when linked from Hipmunk, Cheapoair‘s site listed it at $1268. And that airline matrix site, along with most sites, didn‘t even list the flight I booked with China Eastern Air. I‘m glad I didn‘t wait any longer too, prices immediately went up to $1500+.

Glad you got something that works out for you. :cool:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Fun story and another round of thanks:

I had to call and get my flights switched to the ones I wanted, which took like 6 phone calls. Frustrating, but it was my mistake in the first place.

Anyway, the person fixing the flights made a TINY little mistake, and typed in MAR instead of MAY. So my flights were from RDU to NYC on March 24th, and then from NYC to Dublin on May 24th. That's right, I had a scheduled 2 month layover.

Be very careful when reviewing your itinerary! It was easily fixed, but if I hadn't caught it there might have been a disaster.

And thanks again for the BUY NOW advice - the price has gone up consistently since I bought.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Mackieman posted:

They're no better or worse than any other eastern European airline. Coach is coach in most cases. Are you flying them TATL or just connecting once you get to Europe?

My current setup is Aeroflot all the way from IAD to Moscow to St Petersburg to Burgas, Bulgaria. They are about 600 bucks cheaper than anything else.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Please check Russian transit visa rules well in advance in case you need to do embassy paperwork.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

calandryll posted:

My current setup is Aeroflot all the way from IAD to Moscow to St Petersburg to Burgas, Bulgaria. They are about 600 bucks cheaper than anything else.

Yeah, what peanut said. Russian visas aren't cheap or easy to come by, and that has gotten much harder recently given all the horseshit going on in Ukraine.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

peanut posted:

Please check Russian transit visa rules well in advance in case you need to do embassy paperwork.

Yeah, I haven't looked into that part yet. That will be the next step if I decide to go that route. It's a bit difficult since it's a smallish town on the Black Sea, but it is the closest one with an airport to where my friend is getting married.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why not take Turkish or Austrian to VAR?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mackieman posted:

It's a regular metal detector, and the sensitivity is turned down a bit. It's more like pre-9/11 security and it is wonderful. Since I've had Global Entry, I've never missed Precheck. But it's nice to skip 3+ hour immigration lines too (I'm looking at you, IAH).

Yikes; I'm flying through IAH on my way back to Canada from a foreign country, glad I made sure I had a long-rear end layover. Can I use my Nexus card in those situations, or is that only for US / Canada crossings?

Edit: Holy poo poo, looks like I can! Seriously, why are there still people without that card?

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 6, 2014

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
You get Global Entry benefits with NEXUS. You can use TSA Precheck.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

spoof posted:

You get Global Entry benefits with NEXUS. You can use TSA Precheck.

I've used it in the past, and it was awesome. I was just wondering if I could use the Nexus card to clear US customs when inbound from a third country, my reading is that I can.

Seems weird that they charge half the price of Global Entry for a Nexus and yet give you pretty much the same privileges.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

I've used it in the past, and it was awesome. I was just wondering if I could use the Nexus card to clear US customs when inbound from a third country, my reading is that I can.

Seems weird that they charge half the price of Global Entry for a Nexus and yet give you pretty much the same privileges.

I've only used mine between the US and Canada, so I don't have firsthand experience to back it up, but I agree with you that it should work. Bring both your passport and NEXUS card with you. $50 for 5 years is a bargain.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

Why not take Turkish or Austrian to VAR?

VAR is further north. My ultimate destination is Sinemorets for a friend's wedding. I might look into things like Whizz Air to fly into Burgas, one of the flights she suggested.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Is $1400 for a single ticket to China reasonable? I'm planning on going from PDX to PEK and then return to IAH and that's about the baseline I'm seeing, but recently I've seen ~$1150 flights so I don't know if I should wait a little or not (flight's in July so it's not that big of a deal to wait now).

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Mackieman posted:

Well I'll admit I was wrong in terms of recently, but I think saying it's not remotely true is a stretch considering in their history they have had something like 8000 people die in their history which I believe is literally the highest death toll of any airline. But I'll give the fact they've had nothing go wrong in the last 10-15 years as a plus.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

teacup posted:

Well I'll admit I was wrong in terms of recently, but I think saying it's not remotely true is a stretch considering in their history they have had something like 8000 people die in their history which I believe is literally the highest death toll of any airline. But I'll give the fact they've had nothing go wrong in the last 10-15 years as a plus.

Yeah, operations during the Soviet regime aren't really comparable to modern ops. It's a whole different deal now.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Aeroflot has a lot of codeshares with awesome partners like Korean Air. You'll be fine but besides visas, give yourself lots of transit time because Moscow immigration was very disorganized :sweatdrop: First time I've ever seen an airport without separate lines for citizens and foreigners.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

calandryll posted:

VAR is further north. My ultimate destination is Sinemorets for a friend's wedding. I might look into things like Whizz Air to fly into Burgas, one of the flights she suggested.

In terms of time I would take a 90 min drive vs an extra connection or an inter Russian flight, but that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I just tried to check in online for an international flight I'm taking on American tomorrow morning. Somehow, in the face of all that is good in the world I hosed up my own name and spelled it Benjmain instead of Benjamin. I can't check in early, that's fine, but they'll be ale to fix this at the counter, right?

...Right?