Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

IUG posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PawhJlfVLkg
Here you go, this 4 minute video tells you how to do it all.

Well I guess I have a weekend project now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Spoeank posted:

Well I guess I have a weekend project now.

Maybe this doesn't happen to everyone, but I ran into a couple snags that this video doesn't mention:

1. I can only get customs to work if I sign out of my Xbox Live profile. If I don't, the game prompts me to download Title Update 5, and if I hit "Cancel" it boots me out of the game.

2. I have to insert the memory stick after the game boots up (while the MTV Games or Harmonix logo is on the screen) or else I run into the same TU5 problem above.

Hopefully that doesn't happen to you, but if it does, that's how you get around it. I got frustrated at first but now I can play customs with reckless abandon.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Binowru posted:

Maybe this doesn't happen to everyone, but I ran into a couple snags that this video doesn't mention:

1. I can only get customs to work if I sign out of my Xbox Live profile. If I don't, the game prompts me to download Title Update 5, and if I hit "Cancel" it boots me out of the game.

2. I have to insert the memory stick after the game boots up (while the MTV Games or Harmonix logo is on the screen) or else I run into the same TU5 problem above.

Hopefully that doesn't happen to you, but if it does, that's how you get around it. I got frustrated at first but now I can play customs with reckless abandon.

I always make sure I'm disconnected from Xbox Live when playing customs, since none of the scores are gonna be uploaded anyway and it'll always prompt you to download the latest update so really just physically disconnect the cable and be done with it. Even if you mix in some non-custom content it's not like you'll be beating your best scores every time you play.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

WhiteHowler posted:

(Shameful secret: I went to a Hootie and the Blowfish concert back in college. But They Might Be Giants were opening for them, so I have an excuse, okay?)

http://www.theonion.com/articles/mothership-accidentally-descends-on-hootie-concert,983/

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I always make sure I'm disconnected from Xbox Live when playing customs, since none of the scores are gonna be uploaded anyway and it'll always prompt you to download the latest update so really just physically disconnect the cable and be done with it. Even if you mix in some non-custom content it's not like you'll be beating your best scores every time you play.

I have to be online, for a dumb reason. Basically, I have the game installed to my hard drive because my disc is so old and scratched that it can't be read. So I have to be online, so the Xbox knows I'm not pirating the game, but I have to sign out of my profile in order to dodge the TU5 update. It's weird.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Worked the first time. Dumped my calibration settings for whatever reason but that's a small price to pay. Thanks guys!

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
Since you are a public of fine connoisseurs, I wanna share with you that next week's release (my portion at least) is something I am extremely proud of. It will probably make only a small subset of the community happy but it is something that makes me really proud.

AeolisCams
Jun 5, 2004
That Other Fat Guy
More awesome stuff from C3, as usual. I love that each week it seems someone else gets pushed over the edge into the awesome land of customs.

I started my new job, which effectively put a halt to my RB nights and custom authoring but I swear I'll get one up one day! I've also been trying to put together a basic leaderboard for my friends. They won't really play without the superficial competition aspect of the game, so it's like my down payment on making them play.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

farottone posted:

Since you are a public of fine connoisseurs, I wanna share with you that next week's release (my portion at least) is something I am extremely proud of. It will probably make only a small subset of the community happy but it is something that makes me really proud.

ARTPOP full album confirmed :toot:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nono, Milt's (who did Something About Us for the Daft Punk release) contribution he told me about on twitter confirmed.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

AeolisCams posted:

I've also been trying to put together a basic leaderboard for my friends. They won't really play without the superficial competition aspect of the game, so it's like my down payment on making them play.

We've talked about doing very basic Scorehero-esque boards for customs, but we figured there wasn't enough demand. If we do anything competitive, it'll probably be a bracketed tournament or some other one-off that doesn't require maintenance.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

pksage posted:

We've talked about doing very basic Scorehero-esque boards for customs, but we figured there wasn't enough demand. If we do anything competitive, it'll probably be a bracketed tournament or some other one-off that doesn't require maintenance.

Awful idea: Have a constant leaderboard, and then assuming scores are stored in the song database file or whichever file it is, have people upload their files to update their score page. :v:

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
All we have to do is keep customs going until someone botches together an online-capable full-band-yes-with-vocals-too surrogate and we'll be golden.

Y'know, that or emulating 360s with netplay. No biggie!

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
People who actually learn the guitar parts to the songs they author with Pro Guitar (me) will have an enormous advantage since PG scores at least 2.4 times as many points per note as core guitar.
And I'm attractive enough to have real-world friends who play with me on Expert, making xbox live players flee in horror. :smug:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Last night I found out there are people in my friends circle who have never heard Die, Die My Darling. :frogout: Or, well, hadn't until they heard me belt it out with my best bad Danzig impression.

I also only got 4 stars on medium because the Metallica cover is a bit different, but ehh. I don't like how this version just kinda fizzles out, though, the best part of the original is when Danzig loses it and just goes ":byodood: DIE DIE DIE DIE ADSASDSGFHGSHGAGHRGHDIEDDIEDIEDIEDIE" at the end.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Gaspar Lewis posted:

All we have to do is keep customs going until someone botches together an online-capable full-band-yes-with-vocals-too surrogate and we'll be golden.

I love Harmonix and Rock Band but I would move to Phase Shift in a second if they got their poo poo together. I don't even want animations; a black screen or maybe the song's music video would be fine. Just let me use my huge collection of Rock Band CONs to make my PC into a karaoke machine.

Nyxyxylyth
Apr 4, 2013

pksage posted:

I love Harmonix and Rock Band but I would move to Phase Shift in a second if they got their poo poo together. I don't even want animations; a black screen or maybe the song's music video would be fine. Just let me use my huge collection of Rock Band CONs to make my PC into a karaoke machine.
It's okay now, but I need VOCAL SUPPORT.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I'm sorry for putting a request in, but I would LOVE for this to get done as a custom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10zHdU08GyQ

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Whoops, C3 releases for March 28, 2014:

New! C3 Retrospective C01 5-pack
  • Aerosmith - "Woman of the World" (ws54)
  • Culture Club - "I'll Tumble 4 Ya" (farottone)
  • iwrestledabearonce - "The Cat's Pajamas" (Gigakoops)
  • Rammstein - "Links 2-3-4" (RyanHYK)
  • Simple Plan - "Grow Up" (RyanHYK)
New! Images and Words (full album) (farottone)
  • Dream Theater - "Pull Me Under"
  • Dream Theater - "Another Day"
  • Dream Theater - "Take the Time"
  • Dream Theater - "Surrounded"
  • Dream Theater - "Metropolis--Part I: "The Miracle and the Sleeper""
  • Dream Theater - "Under a Glass Moon"
  • Dream Theater - "Wait for Sleep"
  • Dream Theater - "Learning to Live"

Images and Words is 100% perfect multitrack, the first ever multitrack custom album. Pretty loving hype, IMO.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty loving hype, indeed. I can't wait to only hear half the song between all the miss noises! :v:

No but seriously this is loving awesome and I'm happy as a clam I can still find reasons to Rock Band.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Maybe you guys can use the multitracks from those websites used for learning instruments like Jammit more often :allears:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After Milt told me about the possible Rammstein, I knew it would be Links (if it weren't a bigger hit.)

The T
May 29, 2010

pksage posted:

New! Images and Words (full album) (farottone)

Images and Words is 100% perfect multitrack, the first ever multitrack custom album. Pretty loving hype, IMO.

scream

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
How? I must know this secret!

Also, NiN and Brad Sucks seem to be two bands (one man bands) willing to put up their songs as remixable tracks, which I imagine would make things like multitracks super easy to do.

Moral of the story: More Brad Sucks.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Also, NiN and Brad Sucks seem to be two bands (one man bands) willing to put up their songs as remixable tracks, which I imagine would make things like multitracks super easy to do.

Yep, "super easy" is EXACTLY how I would have describe my 3 months ordeal with Images & Words. :D

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Same method though? Remix tracks or did you do some witchery with a 5.1 release or such?

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Same method though? Remix tracks or did you do some witchery with a 5.1 release or such?

5.1 releases are so useless it's not even funny. I know this is not such a well guarded secret (not even in this thread...) but I still don't feel comfortable openly discussing the source. It's great that they were available and in such a good condition (I was able to properly mix the ending for Take the Time to avoid the fade out, the same for Learning to Live).

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

pksage posted:

Whoops, C3 releases for March 28, 2014:

• Dream Theater - "Pull Me Under"
  • Dream Theater - "Another Day"
  • Dream Theater - "Take the Time"
  • Dream Theater - "Surrounded"
  • Dream Theater - "Metropolis--Part I: "The Miracle and the Sleeper""
  • Dream Theater - "Under a Glass Moon"
  • Dream Theater - "Wait for Sleep"
  • Dream Theater - "Learning to Live"

You are a god among men.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

How? I must know this secret!

Oh I'm gonna remove this oops I didn't see faro's post?

Kaboobi fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 28, 2014

The T
May 29, 2010

I just watched the Images and Words video and what's up with the animations for Wait For Sleep? The vocalist is freaking the gently caress out

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I suppose the only way I would learn is if I got into making customs then. It's tempting. The Sword's Apocryphon album has some incredible tracks on there that would be fun to play.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

The T posted:

I just watched the Images and Words video and what's up with the animations for Wait For Sleep? The vocalist is freaking the gently caress out

It may have slipped past PT, I'll check it later.

The T
May 29, 2010

farottone posted:

It may have slipped past PT, I'll check it later.

I know dick all about how the animations work but my guess would be that it's using the BPM from the song('s charts) which could be really fast, combined with possibly an inappropriate animation setting (ie, the song is pretty somber but it could be set to rock or metal or whatever the options are).

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

The T posted:

I know dick all about how the animations work but my guess would be that it's using the BPM from the song('s charts) which could be really fast, combined with possibly an inappropriate animation setting (ie, the song is pretty somber but it could be set to rock or metal or whatever the options are).

Yeah, I have a basic understanding of what goes on in RB3 animations, I think I can track this down. ;)

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
What was that kick pedal that was highly recommended for a replacement to the Ion kit? Might is really starting to feel the wear and I might just bite the bullet and get a replacement

Scratch that, just found it and looks like rock pedal is out of business. Does anyone have any recommendations for a pedal? Is it cheaper to just get a standard pedal from an instrument store and a trigger pad for an ekit bass?

couldcareless fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 28, 2014

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

couldcareless posted:

Scratch that, just found it and looks like rock pedal is out of business. Does anyone have any recommendations for a pedal? Is it cheaper to just get a standard pedal from an instrument store and a trigger pad for an ekit bass?

Oh, I'd also like to know. My rock pedal went cuckoo a while ago and I haven't been able to fix it and the stock pedal I have right now doesn't do the job for fast bass at all. If there's a way I could use an ekit bass on a standard set that would be awesome.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

drat, even by the standards of your already stellar track record, you really outdid yourself this week farottone. Easily one of the absolute best weeks since C3 started, as well as one of the most consistantly fun albums on guitar that I can recall in the game (even if I did fail out on half of the songs on sightread).

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Trash Boat posted:

drat, even by the standards of your already stellar track record, you really outdid yourself this week farottone. Easily one of the absolute best weeks since C3 started, as well as one of the most consistantly fun albums on guitar that I can recall in the game (even if I did fail out on half of the songs on sightread).

I was actually surprised by how *fun* the album was. I feared it would have been stupidly impossible and thus frustrating, but except for pro keys (which require a skill set quite above the norm) it's actually really fun, yes. It's mighty challenging but satisfying nonetheless. Glad you liked it!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Oh, I'd also like to know. My rock pedal went cuckoo a while ago and I haven't been able to fix it and the stock pedal I have right now doesn't do the job for fast bass at all. If there's a way I could use an ekit bass on a standard set that would be awesome.

http://rockbandkickbox.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=33

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
If Inception were real I'd go into your mind and make you like all the same music as me, farottone. Not really into Dream Theater but I will definitely have to check this out just out of appreciation for the amount of work involved.

• Locked thread