Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Stelas posted:

'cause I was on the XBox.

It's pretty easy to get way in above your head on a couple of them, though, especially if you immediately try to hunt down a rare giant bird or something early game. Man, gently caress those things. gently caress Curse.

Yeah the rare spawns can gently caress you up early game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

mune posted:

It's pretty fun so far (just got to the part where you can recruit guild members), I just don't like it when you have to avoid doing things or you might hamstring yourself. I'm not a huge grinder but still it's worrisome.

If you're on the PC version don't worry and do whatever you want. The Xbox version is the one with a wonky scaling system.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Kild posted:

The main problem with Last Remnant is that a lot of stuff is gated until the very end of the game but most of the challenge is before you reach that point such as the Fallen. You don't get Khyrina until right before the final boss, for example, so her stats and skills are all subpar but she's a good character worth using who synergizes well with Irina. You get Shards from like the 2nd to last quest in the game.

You have all this great equipment that is possible to get but only after you progress past the parts where the equipment would be good unless you just grind BR but that is bad overall. I ended the game at like BR 80 or something pretty low so a lot of my characters never even got good accessories.

There's a New Game Plus feature, which lets you carry over all the Arts for Rush, all the Items which grant you bonus drops, all the components, the bonus turns for your harvester, and some other things. You also get an amount of gold proportional to how many quests you completed. All quests gets you 8 million gold.

It starts you out at BR 1 with the stats and skills of a BR 1, so the game's still a challenge, but you can now craft some pretty great things at the start of the game, have Rush start learning any arts and getting drops without having to do all those quests. Unfortunately, party members won't take items from your inventory for their weapon upgrades, you still have to hunt for those.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Unfortunately, party members won't take items from your inventory for their weapon upgrades, you still have to hunt for those.
I haven't played for a while, but if I remember right there's a way around this. If you have a weapon in your inventory that's further down the upgrade path they're currently on, sometimes party members will ask for it. So you could make the item yourself with your NG+ goodies and then just hang onto it til they decide they want it. Makes the early game much easier, though using the ini trick to equip them however you want makes it even better.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is The Witch and the Hundred Knight any good? Debating on getting that or Deception IV today...

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Seeing as how no one on this forum talked about it and the first user review on metacritic had this gem:

quote:

Pay no mind to the bad reviews from critics who clearly have no appreciation for great Japanese titles.
You should probably wait for a big price drop if you want to play it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Witch and the Hundred Knight is eh. It's kind of repetitive, has some problems, and the story scenes go on way too long.

Deception IV is apparently really good and easily the best game in the series. Irons out a lot of the flaws from the past games.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

That's a shame. Guess I'll grab it when it hits the bargain bin. Of course now I'm caught between either the ps3 or vita versions of deception. :v:

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
I remember having way too much fun with Trapt, so that's good news.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

That's a shame. Guess I'll grab it when it hits the bargain bin. Of course now I'm caught between either the ps3 or vita versions of deception. :v:

Deception's split into two types of missions. The story chapters can take quite a while, but there's also a bunch of much shorter extra missions that are really well suited for picking up your vita to do a couple of them then putting it back down. If you don't mind the smaller screen and potentially having to sleep your Vita in the middle of a story chapter, it's a good way to save $20.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Witch and the Hundred Knights is a boring and mostly ugly action-RPG with too many convoluted mechanics. It's sort of the dark sibling to Z.H.P which took weird Disgaea mechanics, combined then with Shiren the Wanderer, and made something good. WatHK tries to make Disgaea-Diablo and comes out worse for it.

The biggest problem it has is that the main (nonplayable) character is terrible. She is evil and horrible but not in the wacky Disgaea "oh, they're a supervillain but mostly timidly so." At the end of the first chapter: She sends you to defeat a witch. You do so and she appears before the witch. She then begins to kick her as she vomits blood onto the ground, calling her a slut, whore and bitch. The witch reveals she is Metallia's mother and Metallia just laughs it off and kicks her more. Then she turns the witch into a mouse and summons an army of horny mice to rape her. This is explicitly her goal, she yells at her rat-mother to "go and make me a lot of little brothers and sisters" as the mother tries to escape. In the next scene you discover that a while later Metallia's butler went into the forest, caught the mouse-mother, killed her, and cooked her as a meal for Metallia. She tasted extra good because of of the pheromones that were attracting the rape-rats. Not a single bit of this is exaggeration of hyperbole. It is all directly as it is described onscreen. This is all played as a weird sort of comedy but it isn't really funny at all, not even in a dark comedy sort of way. The character never really gets better either.

It's very rare that I've played a game that contains such amazingly horrifyingly unlikable characters doing terrible unsympathetic things. It isn't even dark in a sort of trainwreck-value way like Soul Nomad's evil path is. It's just unpleasant.

Edit: I am aware I used rat and mouse interchangeably there. Sorry.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 29, 2014

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The biggest problem it has is that the main (nonplayable) character is terrible. She is evil and horrible but not in the wacky Disgaea "oh, they're a supervillain but mostly timidly so." At the end of the first chapter: She sends you to defeat a witch. You do so and she appears before the witch. She then begins to kick her as she vomits blood onto the ground, calling her a slut, whore and bitch. The witch reveals she is Metallia's mother and Metallia just laughs it off and kicks her more. Then she turns the witch into a mouse and summons an army of horny mice to rape her. This is explicitly her goal, she yells at her rat-mother to "go and make me a lot of little brothers and sisters" as the mother tries to escape. In the next scene you discover that a while later Metallia's butler went into the forest, caught the mouse-mother, killed her, and cooked her as a meal for Metallia. She tasted extra good because of of the pheromones that were attracting the rape-rats. Not a single bit of this is exaggeration of hyperbole. It is all directly as it is described onscreen. This is all played as a weird sort of comedy but it isn't really funny at all, not even in a dark comedy sort of way. The character never really gets better either.

:stare:
And I thought that Ground Zeroes thing was a bit over the line......

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

There's a New Game Plus feature, which lets you carry over all the Arts for Rush, all the Items which grant you bonus drops, all the components, the bonus turns for your harvester, and some other things. You also get an amount of gold proportional to how many quests you completed. All quests gets you 8 million gold.

It starts you out at BR 1 with the stats and skills of a BR 1, so the game's still a challenge, but you can now craft some pretty great things at the start of the game, have Rush start learning any arts and getting drops without having to do all those quests. Unfortunately, party members won't take items from your inventory for their weapon upgrades, you still have to hunt for those.

Unless its harder, keeps your max party member slots and every character it's not really solving my problem. :(

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ImpAtom posted:

The biggest problem it has is that the main (nonplayable) character is terrible. [...] It's just unpleasant.

Well, now I know what I'm never, ever playing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think Soul Nomad's dark path worked because you had to play through the good path before it - IE: you were at least somewhat invested in these characters and the setting, and seeing it all go to poo poo incredibly quickly was kind of interesting. Not to mention it was neat to see Gig go from 'hahaha, let's go kill some innocents!!!' in the good path to 'Uh, woah dude, holy poo poo. Dial it back." in the evil path.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

What are some good PS3 exclusive RPGs? SO4? Tales Graces/Xilia? Disgaea 3/4/D2? Any others?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Besides those, Valkyria Chronicles 1 is a lot of fun.

E: Don't actually play Star Ocean 4.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 29, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Ar Tonelico 3 is exclusive to PS3! :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kild posted:

What are some good PS3 exclusive RPGs? SO4? Tales Graces/Xilia? Disgaea 3/4/D2? Any others?

Depending on what you mean by exclusives, the Atelier games are low-key but generally praised. I've only played the latest one (Escha & Logy) myself but it was a really chill, relaxing and fun RPG with a heavy emphasis on crafting. There are two trilogies (Rorona/Totori/Meruru and the new Ayesha/Escha&Logy/one more coming out later) I don't know about the others (I see Meruru has Swimsuit DLC) but Escha & Logy was fairly free of the fanservice/creepy poo poo as well which is generally a plus.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 29, 2014

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Kild posted:

demon's souls!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Witch and the Hundred Knights is a boring and mostly ugly action-RPG with too many convoluted mechanics. It's sort of the dark sibling to Z.H.P which took weird Disgaea mechanics, combined then with Shiren the Wanderer, and made something good. WatHK tries to make Disgaea-Diablo and comes out worse for it.

It's very rare that I've played a game that contains such amazingly horrifyingly unlikable characters doing terrible unsympathetic things. It isn't even dark in a sort of trainwreck-value way like Soul Nomad's evil path is. It's just unpleasant.

Edit: I am aware I used rat and mouse interchangeably there. Sorry.

i thought this poster must be lying but nope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdu1NdEs15g&feature=youtu.be&t=6m25s

i am really wondering what tone they were going for here, or, just, really I am wondering 10000 things.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Kild posted:

Star Ocean 4 is pretty disappointing if you're going in as a Star Ocean fan.

Ni no Kuni is worth checking out though.

White Knight Chronicles is also PS3 exclusive, for what it's worth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BloodWulfe posted:

White Knight Chronicles is also PS3 exclusive, for what it's worth.

Didn't they shut down the servers and stuff for that?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

There are two trilogies (Rorona/Totori/Meruru and the new Ayesha/Escha&Logy/one more coming out later) I don't know about the others (I see Meruru has Swimsuit DLC) but Escha & Logy was fairly free of the fanservice/creepy poo poo as well which is generally a plus.

The rest are pretty much the same deal, Ayesha especially. Apparently some of the DLC is a little eh, but I never bought it so who can say.

As for PS3 exclusives, you've got Valkyria Chronicles as well. Ni No Kuni was super disappointing and Star Ocean IV is both not an exclusive, but bad as well.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't they shut down the servers and stuff for that?
Yeah, you're right. It looks like they killed 'em last year.

Tales of Zestiria/Xillia 2 are also supposed to be localized at some point, so there are a couple more to (maybe?) look forward to.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

People seem to like Rainbow Moon, a PSN game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

GulagDolls posted:

i am really wondering what tone they were going for here, or, just, really I am wondering 10000 things.
I honestly wish Nippon Ichi would stop going out of their comfort zone because it seems atrocious everytime. I had hoped this one might turn out okay since it was only sort of outside but it looks like it pretty much fell straight into the dumpster.

I also don't think I've ever seen Impatom tear apart an RPG as much as this one either.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

demon's souls!!!

I made the mistake of buying this sight unseen cause I tend to have really enjoyed most NIS games and had store credit building up and nearing expiry. As someone above said I think they were trying for the Demon path from Soul Nomad without realising it worked because of the good path before it.

I actually am finding the gameplay fun so far though, it does nicely scratch that ARPG itch to me anyway, the alternate weapon combo thing has been fun to play with. But yeah I'd avoid until it's in the bargain bin.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

I also don't think I've ever seen Impatom tear apart an RPG as much as this one either.

Ask me about Last Rebellion sometime!

Although honestly Last Rebellion was worse from a gameplay perspective but the story was just boring instead of... that.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm only half offended by the story. The other half is the godawful VA.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

ImpAtom posted:

Ask me about Last Rebellion sometime!

Although honestly Last Rebellion was worse from a gameplay perspective but the story was just boring instead of... that.

What is Last Rebellion? For a second I thought you were talking about Last Remnant, which would have made me sad.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I've actually had more fun with Last Rebellion than Cross Edge.

YES I'M STILL WORKING ON THOSE.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Space Bat posted:

What is Last Rebellion? For a second I thought you were talking about Last Remnant, which would have made me sad.

Last Rebellion was a game NISA put out for the PS3 a few years ago. It was a game so bad they literally apologized for releasing it and said they were sorry for the fans who bought it, and that they only put it out because their contract required it. They specifically didn't promote it because they knew how bad it was. That is how bad a game it is that the company who put it out released an unambiguously apology for the game.

NISA's president Haru Akenaga posted:

Once we got Last Rebellion we realized it was not the kind of title we should release in the United States because of its quality. I feel really sorry for our customers because we released that title. That’s why I told Nao (PR Manager) we have to release the announcement for Last Rebellion, but never push that title. We cannot say it’s a really great title. We felt really sorry, but we had no choice to release that.

That says more about the game than I ever could

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 29, 2014

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

demon's souls!!!

Holy poo poo, I had to look at that to see just how bad it was and that was straight up physically disturbing to watch, even if it didn't get graphic about it. I wonder what that voice actor was thinking when going over those lines.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

nessin posted:

Holy poo poo, I had to look at that to see just how bad it was and that was straight up physically disturbing to watch, even if it didn't get graphic about it. I wonder what that voice actor was thinking when going over those lines.

No see, it's okay because the daughter doesn't eat her own mother, that would be wrong. Instead you have to eat her.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Last Rebellion was a game NISA put out for the PS3 a few years ago. It was a game so bad they literally apologized for releasing it and said they were sorry for the fans who bought it, and that they only put it out because their contract required it. They specifically didn't promote it because they knew how bad it was. That is how bad a game it is that the company who put it out released an unambiguously apology for the game.

Wow, with some of the dreck they've shat out that's really saying a lot :stonk:

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Kild posted:

I'm going to second Valkyria Chronicles and Atelier Escha & Logy.

Atelier E&L in particular is probably the best first Atelier game in the series for anyone playing it the first time. The alchemy system, which is extremely central in all the games, is a bit easier to handle in this game. Not all of the games before it balance alchemy as well with the battle system, but you can generally balance any defiencies you have in one system with skill in the other. Or be good at both and steamroll everything till the super bosses.

Each of the games feature a time limit, Escha and Logy splits the game up into smaller pieces which makes it easier to keep you on track, while giving you more then enough time you'll need.

Atelier E&L along with Atelier Ayesha are both light on the fanservice compared to the previous games. There's one character who drfinitely falls into a fanservice category, but she talks about theses and history so shes pretty much my favourite character in the game.

DLC is avaliable for all the games (included with the Vita rereleases of two of the games) , including extra music, outfits (normally fanservice), characters, or dungeons & bosses. The extra music DLC in Escha and Logy will let you pick between any of the PS3 Atelier Game songs for boss battles or to play in towns and such, which is especially nice on multiple playthroughs. Atelier Ayesha literally gave you every Gust soundtrack avaliable which was pretty cool as well.

Consider chacking out Sylphid's LP of Atelier Ayesha as well to see if the game would be something you're interested in. I know Atelier games arent everyone's cup of tea between the crafting and time limit, but give it a chance if you can.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

ImpAtom posted:

Haha, that's great. I decided to look up some reviews on it and it's a good sign when your JRPG has only two playable characters who are treated as one in combat and can be beaten in 7 hours.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Space Bat posted:

Haha, that's great. I decided to look up some reviews on it and it's a good sign when your JRPG has only two playable characters who are treated as one in combat and can be beaten in 7 hours.

The best thing anyone has ever said about it is that it is one of the lowest-effort Platinums on the system.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

What's the word on Guided Fate Paradox? I really dug ZHP, but heard some iffy stuff about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Gameplay wise I don't mind it that much. Like ZHP it's an isometric roguelite but it's a lot easier than ZHP was and it's not like ZHP was difficult in the first place. Like so easy to the point that can be broken over you knee completely by accident. If that's not your kinda thing you might not like it all that much, but it's certainly not bad and if you liked ZHP then its basically just more of that.

Plot wise, ehh... it's nowhere near as funny as ZHP and every cutscene was way too long for its own good. I wouldn't expect anything amazing from it.