Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

casual poster posted:

Are there any covenant only items I would need to get to platnium this game? The only one I know of, I'm guessing is the sunbros one.

Bellkeepers, second rank. Sorcery trophy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Boxn posted:

Bellkeepers, second rank. Sorcery trophy.

Thanks. Do all trophies have to be obtained on the same character like DS1? Or am I remembering this wrong?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Boxn posted:

Bumping this, it turns out I'm level 163, is that too high for Last Sinner? Also Lucatiel's AI is dumb as hell, falling off of the narrow bridge.

I'm 165, I've been summoned regularly for LS all morning but I can't find a summon sign to use for help myself anywhere.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

casual poster posted:

Thanks. Do all trophies have to be obtained on the same character like DS1? Or am I remembering this wrong?

I don't think so, but I don't think you can spread out the spells in this, game, I think it's like the past two where you need all miracles on one character, all sorceries, etc.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
HOLY poo poo flexile sentry in NG+. I killed him first try on my ng run, this time it's not going to happen. Uh, trying the other route to the bastille... just gotta kill the persuer there, shouldn't be hard. I do want the normal pyro flame though since I missed it last time. I'll come back a bit later :)
edit: ah... bastille time. Persuer already dead.

redreader fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 29, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Electromax posted:

I'm 165, I've been summoned regularly for LS all morning but I can't find a summon sign to use for help myself anywhere.

Yeah, I finally got some hits, still not a lot of people though. Got her first try this time too!

redreader posted:

HOLY poo poo flexile sentry in NG+. I killed him first try on my ng run, this time it's not going to happen. Uh, trying the other route to the bastille... just gotta kill the persuer there, shouldn't be hard. I do want the normal pyro flame though since I missed it last time. I'll come back a bit later :)

Summon Lucatiel or some other help. They can serve as bait or distraction for his minions.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Well I may be a little underleveled for the Rotten but it is definitely the easiest big boss so I guess I'll test my limit. There don't seem to be any summon signs around the bonfire but thanks to that note I found Lucatiel (:D) and I see there's a second NPC phantom across the room from the bonfire exit. WELP let's do this...wait Lucatiel what are you doing Lucatiel stop Lucatiel don't you Lucatiel...well she's dead at least I have my crossbow friend...well he's dead since I guess his objective is just to stay far away...WELP I'm gonna do this he's at half health!!! *oneshotted by magic hand barf*

tl;dr Lucatiel wait stop no

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 29, 2014

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks, I summoned her. That was about a quadrillion times easier! yay!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You'd think people would be good in NG+. I'm like 4/20 on sunlight medal attempts in heides tower. 10% of the time the host dies on the way to a boss. 50% of the time they fall off the ledge at dragonrider 2 seconds after the boss starts. The other 40% they get one shot by Old Dragonslayer. :argh:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Finished it this morning. Great game, not sure I like it as much as DS1 - felt less coherent, more uneven - but that's a loving high watermark. It's close enough, and that makes it much better than almost any other games.

I missed the Emerald Herald at the start of the Throne of Want, though :( Anyone got her dialogue on hand? I'm hoping it helps make a bit more sense of the ending. I enjoyed the ambiguity of DS1's lore/story, but I felt they went a bit too far with this one - I pay attention to dialogue details and item descriptions and I feel like I really have no idea what was going on even at the very end of the game. Kept hoping for a Primordial Serpent to pop up and give me a reasonably concrete info dump, it's not like that spoiled any ambiguity in the first one.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah the Emerald Herald's dialogue at the Throne of Want doesn't help much in understanding the plot.

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!
I did the impossible after all, carried Lucatiel through Smelter Demon. Getting Great Lightning Spear and spamming them quickly in the last phase when he's on fire was my key to victory, had to grind quite a bit to pump up faith for it though. Definitely worth it though, it's nice to be actually able to deal some damage on my dex character too. :v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Does anyone have a recommendation to farm up some boss assists for Sunlight Medals on New Game quite early on, I'm currently waiting at the Pursuer to help out there but they're not very quick.

I may or may not have slaughtered a phantom by mistake with the catapult last time out too. Woops.

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!

Aurain posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation to farm up some boss assists for Sunlight Medals on New Game quite early on, I'm currently waiting at the Pursuer to help out there but they're not very quick.

I may or may not have slaughtered a phantom by mistake with the catapult last time out too. Woops.

Have you already joined the sunbro covenant? You won't get Sunlight Medals until then even if you get summoned (unless the other summon is a sunbro, which is unlikely at that point).

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Aurain posted:

Last Giant, Pursuer, Ruin Sentinels, and Flexile Sentry.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moskau posted:

Have you already joined the sunbro covenant? You won't get Sunlight Medals until then even if you get summoned (unless the other summon is a sunbro, which is unlikely at that point).

Yeah, I'm a sunbro.

Boxn posted:

Last Giant, Pursuer, Ruin Sentinels, and Flexile Sentry.

Thanks. I haven't done the Ruin Sentinels myself yet so I'll stay away, but I may take a trip over to the Flexile Sentry in a little while. Thanks to both of you.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I have so many great lightning spears now. 36 is more than I think I would ever be able to use.

Off to the dragon shrine, I guess? I'm not sure where that is, though.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I have so many great lightning spears now. 36 is more than I think I would ever be able to use.

Off to the dragon shrine, I guess? I'm not sure where that is, though.

Just go around and check all the rooms that need the seal of the king to pass through.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Spergminer posted:

...the music (except for Velstadts theme) is utterly forgettable...

Know it's a little thing to moan about but this really is a gripe for me. DS1 along with Demon's both had really great memorable soundtracks while nothing really in this game has stood out to me yet with the only exception being Majula's theme, maybe the Skeleton Lords theme.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 29, 2014

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Man, I thought people were exaggerating the usefulness of poison arrows in the Shrine of Amana but seriously folks: it's almost the only way. Aiming spells with the binoculars is a crapshoot and unless you have the patience of Buddha under his tree you ain't doing it melee.

Get your lovely shortbow and go wheel and deal for some arrows.

Reiterating this, but mind everyone check out heavy bolt/arrows. With a +6 Longbow and like 30dex, I was killing things in 4 iron arrows, would have needed to use the same number of poison arrows.

But seriously, gently caress Amana, even with a dex build that heavily leaned on a bow outside of bosses, it was a tedious painful slog of absolute bullshit. Even for my build which basically cheesed its way through most encounters with poison, it felt ESPECIALLY cheesy in there, but part because you had to snipe from so drat far away, and part because there is virtually no recourse.

Anyone have any experience with the kind of damage those casters can put out on NG+? It is already pretty high on NG that stacking mag def doesn't really help. Seems it will only get worse, where literally the only option is plinking at range with arrows.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

A good and cool tip for the Shrine is to tell your friend to light a torch so you can see those water bastards from a distance.

Doing a hex character today, Ruin Sentinels keeps kicking my rear end. That fight is absolutely brutal.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I was packing a +9 Raw crossbow with Heavy Bolts and was able to two-shot those lizard bastards with my torch in my other hand. Could've been worse.

Shrine of Amana isn't that much of a ball-buster if you're set for it, the real problem is that it's loving loaded with ambushes you can't escape because of the water and if you fall into one, which you will, it's time to sloooowly pick your way across the gauntlet again, because you can't just charge through thanks to those Archdrakes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Spergminer posted:

A good and cool tip for the Shrine is to tell your friend to light a torch so you can see those water bastards from a distance.

Doing a hex character today, Ruin Sentinels keeps kicking my rear end. That fight is absolutely brutal.

Yeah you'll see them from a distance alright, since you'll aggro them from across the map. The lizard dudes really hate torches. I recommend only using a torch when going for all the items.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
It seems like every other duel in the BoB arena is against a CMW'd MLGS user. Can't wait until they patch that nonsense.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Know it's a little thing to moan about but this really is a gripe for me. DS1 along with Demon's both had really great memorable soundtracks while nothing really in this game has stood out to me yet with the only exception being Majula's theme, maybe the Skeleton Lords theme.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I loving love ODS' theme, and Ruin Sentinels has pretty good music too.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

My one complaint about dragon form is that the stupid roar takes an insane amount of stamina. It does boost your damage for six seconds, but no one seems to know how much of a boost it is.

I feel like mundane has a lot of potential with small/fast weapons. I might be wrong, still trying to figure this out. It basically lowers the base damage by like 20%, then adds a flat number based on S scaling of your lowest stat. For me ATM it's +211, which is surprisingly decent. (Mundane Avelyn is fantastic)

I wonder if caestus/claws would benefit.

Mundane reduces a weapon's base damage by half and adds a fixed amount amount of scaling based on your lowest stat (out of ALL your stats). 20 being your lowest stat is the point of diminishing returns, where each further point gives 3 more damage instead of 5 or 6. At 20 its +170, so good for quick poo poo, and really good for Santier's Spear. It's kinda bad for Caestus because unless your lowest stat is something like 30 or so, you'll do more damage with a +10 Caestus with 40 str.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Has PVP gotten better now that people know what to do? I lent out my copy of Dark Souls on consoles to a friend who leaves in 2 weeks for the military and I'm just kinda waiting for the PC version. When I was belltower PVPing, my opponents were laughable against my unupgraded armor, unupgraded 100% physical damage resist shield and Uchigatana +10. No magic, no bullshit.

Plenty of people know what they're doing, but like the forest in dark souls, you're not going to find them in the belltower, most likely.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Does NG+ give any particular extra / different dialog, or is it all just changed enemy composition and a couple new item drops?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

inthesto posted:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I loving love ODS' theme, and Ruin Sentinels has pretty good music too.

Gargoyles is brilliant :v:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Meatsicle posted:

It seems like every other duel in the BoB arena is against a CMW'd MLGS user. Can't wait until they patch that nonsense.

Just ran into this in the belltower. Hitting me even after completely rolling out of the way is pretty sweet!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think I just beat the gargoyles by confusing the piss out of them.

Drangleic Shield +1, Ring of Giants, poise of 54. Marched in there and circled them tanking the hits, until there were 3 out... and I don't think the AI really knows what to do with more than 3, because at that point they stopped charging, and kept either rising into the air to firebomb me, or spraying fire, which I was tanking pretty well off the shield.

Once they got into this pattern, I switched to firebombs and basically either healed or just threw one every time there was an opening, which was usually when I circled round to the longer ends of the rooftop.

I don't think the AI can really handle four gargoyles, let alone the six I eventually had.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Ok so this is kind of embarrassing but do I need to do the chariot boss to light a bonfire so it'll show up on the map in the mansion so the guy will give me his hat so I can trade it to the serial killer guy so that I can keep doing the quests?

Because the chariot is kicking my rear end really bad. It's humbling to go from breezing though like five bosses and a bunch of tricky encounters near the end of the game back to "getting killed by three skeletons"

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Ok so this is kind of embarrassing but do I need to do the chariot boss to light a bonfire so it'll show up on the map in the mansion so the guy will give me his hat so I can trade it to the serial killer guy so that I can keep doing the quests?

Because the chariot is kicking my rear end really bad. It's humbling to go from breezing though like five bosses and a bunch of tricky encounters near the end of the game back to "getting killed by three skeletons"

I don't think so. Don't quote me, but I think you just need to beat the game. I literally had every bonfire lit and it wasn't enough, but you may still need to light every single bonfire.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Kiggles posted:

I don't think so. Don't quote me, but I think you just need to beat the game. I literally had every bonfire lit and it wasn't enough, but you may still need to light every single bonfire.

Nah its not every one, but you do need to beat the game to finish it. I doubt the one after the chariot is one of the required ones.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Kiggles posted:

Yes it's basically beat the game:

Every primal bonfire, get King's ring, get Ashen Heart, defeat final boss

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I wonder what power stance lances look like...

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Finished it this morning. Great game, not sure I like it as much as DS1 - felt less coherent, more uneven - but that's a loving high watermark. It's close enough, and that makes it much better than almost any other games.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. I think I'm maybe a bit disappointed? I don't know, it's hard to quantify, but I feel this game is lacking in several areas, most notably in terms of art design and general atmosphere. There are too many samey looking areas, and the colour palette doesn't feel nearly as varied. For all its technical prowess, DS2 doesn't have any areas that look as good as Anor Londo or any areas that feel as densely threatening as Sen's Fortress. The NPCs are mostly forgettable and don't really evolve, the music doesn't stand out, and the bosses kind of blend together in the latter half.

Not that there isn't great atmosphere to be found, like the lead-up to Drangleic Castle or the entirety of Dragon Aerie, but many places feel like a wasted opportunity. Like Aldia's Keep is really awesome in concept, but it really just amounts to an opening hall and one corridor with a few rooms on the side. It's too bad - I feel the game is almost going for volume over substance in some spots, and although you generally have more options about where to go at any one point, each route seems mostly linear, and I didn't quite get that awesome feeling of exploration nearly enough.

The actual game design is mostly rock solid, though I do think the optional bosses, primarily Vendrick and the dragon, but also Darklurker, are kind of poorly designed. That said, the first game also had bad bosses, so that's not a huge mark against it.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, this is where I'm at. I think I'm maybe a bit disappointed? I don't know, it's hard to quantify, but I feel this game is lacking in several areas, most notably in terms of art design and general atmosphere. There are too many samey looking areas, and the colour palette doesn't feel nearly as varied. For all its technical prowess, DS2 doesn't have any areas that look as good as Anor Londo or any areas that feel as densely threatening as Sen's Fortress. The NPCs are mostly forgettable and don't really evolve, the music doesn't stand out, and the bosses kind of blend together in the latter half.

Not that there isn't great atmosphere to be found, like the lead-up to Drangleic Castle or the entirety of Dragon Aerie, but many places feel like a wasted opportunity. Like Aldia's Keep is really awesome in concept, but it really just amounts to an opening hall and one corridor with a few rooms on the side. It's too bad - I feel the game is almost going for volume over substance in some spots, and although you generally have more options about where to go at any one point, each route seems mostly linear, and I didn't quite get that awesome feeling of exploration nearly enough.

The actual game design is mostly rock solid, though I do think the optional bosses, primarily Vendrick and the dragon, but also Darklurker, are kind of poorly designed. That said, the first game also had bad bosses, so that's not a huge mark against it.

I guess you forget the good bosses like Pursuer and Velstadt, because half of the time the bosses are either 4kingslite swarms of enemies (Ruin Sentinels, both Rat bosses, Prowling Magus) or huge curbstomping bastards (Demon of song, Giant Lord). Skeleton Lord was the only swarm boss I really enjoyed, mainly because the skeletons+minions didn't have a billion life or started to heal each other.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

poptart_fairy posted:

Welp, going to come back to Iron Keep after I've gotten the other areas' souls. These armoured guys are dicks.

They drop their armor though which is pretty great if you're like "gently caress weight I'm gonna wear the heaviest poo poo". Look like an insane Ninja Turtle! Also makes you immune to backstabs! Additionally it's a very unique armor and you never see anyone wear it.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Music stuff I remembered for this game was Majula's ambient sound, Natasha's dynamic music, and the Milfantino's singing.

E I spelled the last boss's name wrong. It's still wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
How is darklurker poor designed?

Don't' be bitter that you got your rear end kicked multiple times :colbert:

People were like OH man the bosses in this game are so easy and when one ends up being a challenge, you call poorly designed? I can understand Vendrick and Ancient Dragon because they are basically one shoters but at least with DL you have a fighting chance and don't get one shot'd.

Explain.

(apart from having to use a human effigy everytime you lose)

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 29, 2014

• Locked thread