Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Also, anyone in the International Drive area for King's Bowl has Dave & Busters up the street and now Pointe Orlando has Hard Knocksas well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

I'm scared or drops on roller coasters. I'm not sure if it's so much as I'm scared of the drop or if it's that I hate the feeling. Well, I'm going to Disney and I actually want to get over it. What are some rides I can use to work myself up to the bigger ones.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

spacebrospiff posted:

I'm scared or drops on roller coasters. I'm not sure if it's so much as I'm scared of the drop or if it's that I hate the feeling. Well, I'm going to Disney and I actually want to get over it. What are some rides I can use to work myself up to the bigger ones.

I am not a huge fan of coasters and over the years my tolerance level has decreased.. in other words I am the guy that gets off the ride looking green and like they are about to get sick in a planter or trash receptacle. I now have to pick and choose according to what my vomit tolerance will be and I make sure to space my meals so I am not jumping on Rockin Rollercoaster right after eating a full meal. That being said I can always ride Space Mountain without issues as well as Big Thunder Mountain. Two weeks ago we were at the Studios and I was able to ride Tower of Terror without batting an eye and even Rockin Rollercoaster albeit I was a little meh after that since I had eaten it was still manageable. What did me in on that coaster was the initial launch and roll.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
Big Thunder Mountain is definitely a good choice. If the Seven Dwarves Mine Cart is open when you visit, it'll probably be a good choice as well.

The thing about the coasters at WDW is that most of them are going to avoid a straight drop and instead will take you down in a spiral and then just sort of focus on traversing hills. Hell, Revenge of the Mummy over at Universal does something close to this as well, if you ever hit up that section of Orlando. There's a launch in it, but it's not too bad. Disney's coasters in general are pretty mild and focus on theming more than anything. You'll be fine! Rock'n'Rollercoaster and Everest are really the only things you may have to worry about.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Rock N' Roller Coaster is the only ride that I feel is actually kind of extreme at Disney. Everest does have a big drop, but by the time you get there the ride is half over, so my mind doesn't see it as all that bad (but it is big, so if that bothers you, that's a thing to know)

Big Thunder is the perfect coaster. It's a lot of fun, goes really fast, but is mostly hills, valleys, and turns. i don't even think they have a large drop on it.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

spacebrospiff posted:

Barnstormer, 7 Dwarfs (if it's open when you go), Big Thunder Mountain Railway, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, Rock'N Roller Coaster in that order from least extreme to most. You could probably throw Splash Mountain in between Thunder Mountain & Space Mountain. Not a coaster, but it has a big drop.

Also keep in mind that even something like Thunder Mountain while mid-range extreme for Disney is regularly ridden by 3 & 4 year olds. So it's not at all scary. Rock'N Roller Coaster is really the only "extreme" coaster Disney has.

Also, if you want to get over the feeling of dropping I highly suggest Tower of Terror. Again, not a coaster, but you'll sure drop :)

Sair
May 11, 2007

Rock'N Roller Coaster doesn't really have much in the way of drops though, it just launches you straight out with the power of magnets.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Sair posted:

Rock'N Roller Coaster doesn't really have much in the way of drops though, it just launches you straight out with the power of magnets.

But it takes you upside down. I may be projecting my own fears on to this, but if dropping scares you, defying gravity might also do the trick.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
My wife was terrified of rollercoasters that looped and I talked into trying Rock'N and she absolutely loved it. I think it helps that it's all indoors and dark so the loops don't have the same oomph that ones outside tend to have. It was an incredibly quiet day at the park, so we rode it again twice in a row.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Sair posted:

with the power of magnets.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
As fun as it is, RRC is not overly scary. It's probably the most "thrilling" thing at WDW in the traditional sense, but it's not exactly Six Flags.

Crazy Horse
Aug 16, 2013
I'm going to Disneyworld for the first time in June for a wedding, and will be staying at a hotel on the property. Most of the weekend will be taken up with the wedding itself but I will have some free time. I am not really interested in theme parks or rollercoasters; does anyone have recommendations for outdoors-y stuff (hiking, golf, or even just a scenic drive) and nightlife in the area? Also, is it worthwhile to rent a car? I am flying in and out of MCO.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Crazy Horse posted:

I'm going to Disneyworld for the first time in June for a wedding, and will be staying at a hotel on the property. Most of the weekend will be taken up with the wedding itself but I will have some free time. I am not really interested in theme parks or rollercoasters; does anyone have recommendations for outdoors-y stuff (hiking, golf, or even just a scenic drive) and nightlife in the area? Also, is it worthwhile to rent a car? I am flying in and out of MCO.

Disney has some of the best and most expensive golf courses in the area. Hiking, eh, not so much. Scenic drives, do you like flat land and trees? Unless you take a trip out to the Ocala National Forest I'd say stick to playing some of the best golf courses in Florida.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Crazy Horse posted:

...Most of the weekend will be taken up with the wedding itself but I will have some free time...

Well let's hope you're not the bride or groom.

You can rent a canoe or kayak, and it's actually really cheap, which is shocking considering where you are. You can rent motorboats and sailboats, too, but that's considerably more expensive. If you don't want to get wet, they have bike rentals, and plenty of scenic places to ride.

If you fish (or even if you don't I suppose), you can take a bass-fishing excursion or just sit on the dock with a rod & reel. WDW's rod and reel, specifically -- it's a rental, too.

You can go para-sailing or water skiing, and they have horseback riding.

If you already know what hotel you're staying at, call guest services and ask what's near your resort. That might make your decision easier.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Lot's of state and county parks in the area and if you are into outdoor sports like hiking, biking, water skiing etc. you have a lot of choices.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I really can't recommend hiking in central Florida in June. I've done it and it is awful.

You may like Downtown Disney and Citywalk for places to hang out. Downtown Disney's night life is pretty much dead and I can't speak for Citywalk's, though. Everything else I can think of has already been brought up. Depending on your hotel, though, you could have an awesome pool.

Off topic to this, just saw the new parade today. Some of those floats are impressive.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

HPanda posted:

I really can't recommend hiking in central Florida in June. I've done it and it is awful.

You may like Downtown Disney and Citywalk for places to hang out. Downtown Disney's night life is pretty much dead and I can't speak for Citywalk's, though. Everything else I can think of has already been brought up. Depending on your hotel, though, you could have an awesome pool.

Off topic to this, just saw the new parade today. Some of those floats are impressive.

Okay hiking really early in the morning like crack of dawn stuff.. but yes, later in the day is murder.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Woops completely wrong thread.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Hiking in Florida sounds like the opposite of any kind of fun. I was there in December, which was considered cool by the locals around, and I was like "whew its warm" at like 10am so I can't imagine summer at any time of day.

on an totally unrelated note, can't wait to move down in loving May. Good planning, me.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's not that bad you yankee. ;)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Hiking in Florida sounds like the opposite of any kind of fun. I was there in December, which was considered cool by the locals around, and I was like "whew its warm" at like 10am so I can't imagine summer at any time of day.

on an totally unrelated note, can't wait to move down in loving May. Good planning, me.

You ended up in a relatively shady position didn't you? The humidity will suck but if you're inside(ish) you'll probably adjust better since you'll have "off" time from the heat and the sun.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Places like Wekiwa River park and some of the others with hammocks and what not are protected enough that you are mostly in shade anyways. Example you can go on canoeing & kayaking there which I know is not hiking but it is a fun experience if you are not with your significant other then I advise against it since everyone knows there is no better way to end a relationship faster than going canoeing together. I have hiked the 13 mile trail with friends a number of times and it was a good time. Bulow Creek State Park in Ormond Beach has a nice trail as well and has a beautiful southern live oak forest. There are a number of springs that all have parks with trails as well worth taking time to explore.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/findapark/district-all.cfm

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

You ended up in a relatively shady position didn't you? The humidity will suck but if you're inside(ish) you'll probably adjust better since you'll have "off" time from the heat and the sun.

I still don't know where I am. I am "attractions" which means any ride or show is a possibility. Some rides are mostly indoors, but the only rides that are all positions are inside are Soarin and Living with the Land, I think. I can't remember if they put a CM outside to say "Hey Soarin is in here!" or not.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

I can't remember if they put a CM outside to say "Hey Soarin is in here!" or not.

No, but there is sometimes an attendant telling people not to bring strollers into The Land. I do not envy that person.

I know that there are a lot of attractions which only have one person standing outside, though, and even those are mostly in the shade, I think. The ride in the Mexico pavilion has everyone inside, too, as far as I know.

Oh, and if you count Disneyquest, I think all of those positions are inside. I don't know if that counts as "attractions" or not.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

HPanda posted:

No, but there is sometimes an attendant telling people not to bring strollers into The Land. I do not envy that person.

I know that there are a lot of attractions which only have one person standing outside, though, and even those are mostly in the shade, I think. The ride in the Mexico pavilion has everyone inside, too, as far as I know.

Oh, and if you count Disneyquest, I think all of those positions are inside. I don't know if that counts as "attractions" or not.

Yes, I can confirm there was one standing just up the ramp under an umbrella instructing guests not to bring strollers into the pavillion. Not that the umbrella was even necessary because two steps back and they were under the awning. Most of the pavilions do not have anyone outside other than the cast members working the kiosks etc. and I don't think BBS is in that.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Disneyquest is indeed an option. I don't think that's where I'll be from my phone interview, but to be fair, I've been told that my phone interview and what was said may not be anywhere near an indication of what will happen. A lot of times, despite your major, prior experience, and other factors, they just put you where they need you.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Got this in the mail a couple of weeks ago. Took pictures and forgot to post them until now!

Front:

Inside:

Gatefold:

Back:

You can't tell from the awful photos (my big-boy camera was charging, so I used my phone), but it really is a nice piece. Very expensive stock, foil-stamping, spot-lacquer, the whole enchilada. This arrived about a week after we put a November vacation in our shopping cart at WDW's website but didn't actually book it. Not sure if that's coincidence or not.

BTW, didn't somebody from this thread say they were going to post pics from a recent trip?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Lincoln posted:

Got this in the mail a couple of weeks ago. Took pictures and forgot to post them until now!

Front:

Inside:

Gatefold:

Back:

You can't tell from the awful photos (my big-boy camera was charging, so I used my phone), but it really is a nice piece. Very expensive stock, foil-stamping, spot-lacquer, the whole enchilada. This arrived about a week after we put a November vacation in our shopping cart at WDW's website but didn't actually book it. Not sure if that's coincidence or not.

BTW, didn't somebody from this thread say they were going to post pics from a recent trip?

They do know when you look at vacations or put something in your cart. I was jokingly looking at an October trip before I got the college program, and a day later I got an email telling about all the cool things to do in October. Spooky.

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012

They do know when you look at vacations or put something in your cart. I was jokingly looking at an October trip before I got the college program, and a day later I got an email telling about all the cool things to do in October. Spooky.

After booking my trip I continued to get emails about how awesome those days would be and how I should book now. Took my a while to realize I'd left bookings in the cart on my laptop.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Parks were crowded when we visited this weekend. Animal Kingdom was probably the most busy we have ever seen it on a weekday (Friday). As expected the FP+ lines were pretty long.. surprise! One of the guests in line with us was joking and said "Maybe they should have a pay version of fast pass." and I replied "Sure they can call it Fast Pass Plus Plus and the normal queue will be two hours long, the FP+ can be an hour and the pay version can be a half hour!" /end sarcasm I hope the hidden Disney microphones did not catch that and give them a new idea.

We tried to get lunch and at 1.45 every restaurant had a line out the door worse than some of the rides. I guess they need FP+ to eat now too. We left the park and went to McDonald's down the road and came back. Sad.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

Parks were crowded when we visited this weekend. Animal Kingdom was probably the most busy we have ever seen it on a weekday (Friday). As expected the FP+ lines were pretty long.. surprise! One of the guests in line with us was joking and said "Maybe they should have a pay version of fast pass." and I replied "Sure they can call it Fast Pass Plus Plus and the normal queue will be two hours long, the FP+ can be an hour and the pay version can be a half hour!" /end sarcasm I hope the hidden Disney microphones did not catch that and give them a new idea.

We tried to get lunch and at 1.45 every restaurant had a line out the door worse than some of the rides. I guess they need FP+ to eat now too. We left the park and went to McDonald's down the road and came back. Sad.

Well it is technically Spring Break time.

There is talk of paying for more FP slots on a given day (or that staying in a higher ranked Disney Hotel will give you more than say, the value resorts would)

rumors, but worth noting.

My thought is that once the system is something people kind of understand, the FP lines will be back to what they once were. Right now people are still confused. I had a group of 50 people in front of me in line for Soarin' who suddenly vanished. Turns out they thought the FP line was the regular line and had to basically each be told to get in the right line.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Well it is technically Spring Break time.

There is talk of paying for more FP slots on a given day (or that staying in a higher ranked Disney Hotel will give you more than say, the value resorts would)

rumors, but worth noting.

My thought is that once the system is something people kind of understand, the FP lines will be back to what they once were. Right now people are still confused. I had a group of 50 people in front of me in line for Soarin' who suddenly vanished. Turns out they thought the FP line was the regular line and had to basically each be told to get in the right line.

Oh we were aware it was spring break, we've just never seen it that busy at AK. Epcot the day earlier was not quite as busy as AK felt it was. You can definitely see the progress on the new Avatar area though when you are on that side of the park immediately behind Tusker House.

They now have cast members wearing the costumes with FP identification, the same as what you see working the FP+ kiosks, working the lines as well instructing guests where to go etc. One line we saw had one cast member at the end of the line holding a sign up to indicate where the end of the FP+ line was.

Also in the news they jacked up the price for parking over the weekend. Bravo.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

Oh we were aware it was spring break, we've just never seen it that busy at AK. Epcot the day earlier was not quite as busy as AK felt it was. You can definitely see the progress on the new Avatar area though when you are on that side of the park immediately behind Tusker House.

They now have cast members wearing the costumes with FP identification, the same as what you see working the FP+ kiosks, working the lines as well instructing guests where to go etc. One line we saw had one cast member at the end of the line holding a sign up to indicate where the end of the FP+ line was.

Also in the news they jacked up the price for parking over the weekend. Bravo.

The area behind Tusker House is the new Festival of the Lion King theater, which should be open soon-ish?

I really liked FastPass+ when I used it, but lord almighty, certain cast members get all of my pity. Until I join their ranks, of course. Then I'll need your pity.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The area behind Tusker House is the new Festival of the Lion King theater, which should be open soon-ish?

I really liked FastPass+ when I used it, but lord almighty, certain cast members get all of my pity. Until I join their ranks, of course. Then I'll need your pity.

You'll have all of our pity.. I am banking pity for you in advance. Hell we may bestow pity upon you in person when we head out to the parks and run into you. You know I'll give you poo poo and heckle you wherever you are working. ;)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

You'll have all of our pity.. I am banking pity for you in advance. Hell we may bestow pity upon you in person when we head out to the parks and run into you. You know I'll give you poo poo and heckle you wherever you are working. ;)

Just a guy coming at me yelling "STAIRS! DO YOU HAVE STAIRS!"

While I yell "Security!"

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

While I yell "Security!"

Only if he has a shirt with this printed on it...

:dong::yaycloud:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

While I yell "Security!"

You'll have to Disney Gesture toward the nearest set of stairs, smiling brightly while saying "Yes sir, we do have stairs! They're right there!" in your chirpiest, cheeriest voice. And demonr6 will chuckle.

It'd be great if you got Disneyquest. I hear it's a really comfortable little position.

Is there a mockup of the new Animal Kingdom map once they get Avatarland in and all?

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Thought you all may be interested in this. We got our Magic Bands yesterday!

They fit nicely and I'm excited to try them out at the end of the month!

Quick question: can you use these at restaurants at all the parks to pay for food or do you still need to use cash/debit/credit to pay?

Sair
May 11, 2007

You can at counter service places, I'm not sure about sit-down restaurants though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

If you are staying on property and provide a credit card/debit card to the front desk, then yes, you can pay for pretty much anything with the band. If you have the dining plan, that is also linked to the band.

To clarify: If you give then a card of some sort, you create a pin, so that whenever you use your band, you have to enter your pin to actually purchase something. This goes for food and merch.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 3, 2014