Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Best case scenario split decision draw.

e: nvm, gently caress boxing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

gently caress you Danny Garcia and the judges.

Slaine
Feb 26, 2001
gently caress, sounds like Herrera pulled off the upset. Of course they mailed the scorecards ahead of time for a fight like this.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Bob Arum (who never lies) says that JCC Jr. has been presented with an offer to fight GGG in July.

http://www.boxingscene.com/arum-chavez-jr-presented-with-golovkin-deal-7-12--75827

:pray:

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Gregor Samsa posted:

Bob Arum (who never lies) says that JCC Jr. has been presented with an offer to fight GGG in July.

http://www.boxingscene.com/arum-chavez-jr-presented-with-golovkin-deal-7-12--75827

Well Junior may be lazy and entitled but I don't really think you can consider him someone who really avoids opponents for too long. He probably could have side stepped Sergio for a few more fights and run the gauntlet of Macklin/Geale/Sturm, etc. Whether money or pride or both the bout was made without too much difficulty. He was actually winning a lot people-including myself-back when he made weight against Vera and fought a good fight but his 12th round antics pretty much ruined all of that. Big props if he's actually willing to step in against GGG but a part of me thinks maybe he wants it now because he thinks Golovkin will be ripe for the picking coming back from his father's death.

Also nothing televised going on this weekend except Vanes Martirosyan trying to bounce back against that loss to Andrade tonight at 9/8 on ESPN2 when he takes on Mario Lozano. He should do it. Pretty sparse action until the 12th with Pac/Bradley 2

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

What a fat, lazy waste Odlanier Solis turned out to be (just deservedly lost to Tony Thompson)

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Thompson is my new favorite journeyman.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

can't wait to eventually buy the thompson - wlad trilogy dvd

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Gregor Samsa posted:

I would pay all of the money to see JCC Jr. get his rear end handed to him by GGG.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
The Face of for Pac/Bradley 2 premiered last night and is going to be running up until the fight and on demand on all the HBO networks but really the only thing people will remember is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUzKEamgxzc&t=358s

I think Showtime/Sky Sports (Box Nation?) does these as well and the difference really is in the hosting. Max Kellerman is really good at steering these conversations in interesting directions but of course having two dudes who hate the poo poo out of eachother helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7llp_L-riVM Pascal-Hopkins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lDZhnxAwS0 Klitschko-Haye
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMV0vGFCFKQ Cotto-Margarito
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LkPRrvhNBw Provodnikov-Alvarado

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 23, 2014

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
This is going to be the best high profile fight in a long time. Arum really struck gold with the whole Bradley/Pac/Marquez dynamic. It's great because it's so hard to call, Bradley is the more known entity of the two right now, and so much depends on how Pac will look on fight night.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Ninja PD posted:

This is going to be the best high profile fight in a long time. Arum really struck gold with the whole Bradley/Pac/Marquez dynamic. It's great because it's so hard to call, Bradley is the more known entity of the two right now, and so much depends on how Pac will look on fight night.

I love Tim Bradley, but I think he's going to be in big trouble in this fight. I know he thinks that he won 8 rounds in the last fight (and how hilarious that is), but if Manny actually ups his activity and aggressiveness, he's going to be hosed. He doesn't have the power to put Manny down, and he's going to be getting swarmed all night.

I really really want Bradley to legitimately win this fight with no bullshit though :ssh:

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Schedule updated

Most recent news is that the undercard of Mayweather-Maidana is shaping with Amir Khan against Luis Collazo and Adrien Broner vs (NON-sex offender) Carlos Molina which actually makes sense since Khan-Broner right now by itself is probably big enough that it could almost be a fringe PPV and if they both win it should be a bit more than that.

Also, Adonis Stevenson-Andrzej Fonfara has been moved to Showtime thanks to Al Haymon basically. Rumor has it that HBO would only give the Stevenson camp what they wanted if they agreed to fight Kovalev (no disrespect to Cedric Agnew and Fonfara but come on now) later in the year. Losing the slim possiblity of Stevenson-Kovalev to Stevenson-Hopkins makes me feel I don't know what.

Here's a pretty neat article by Chris Mannix on SI about it

http://mma-boxing.si.com/2014/03/24/adonis-stevenson-floyd-mayweather/

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

The SituAsian posted:

Most recent news is that the undercard of Mayweather-Maidana is shaping with Amir Khan against Luis Collazo and Adrien Broner vs (NON-sex offender) Carlos Molina which actually makes sense since Khan-Broner right now by itself is probably big enough that it could almost be a fringe PPV and if they both win it should be a bit more than that.

Khan is seemingly under the impression that if he beats Collazo, he gets Mayweather, so he'd probably be very obnoxious about fighting Broner even though Khan-Broner would be a much more interesting fight.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Mayweather undercard is half decent, I actually think Khan-Collazo is a pick em fight. I'll probably buy it even if the main event will be a whitewash. Imo the fight that would have set up a September foe for Floyd would have been Khan Garcia 2 at welterweight but this is good too I suppose.

I don't care what Manny says there's no way he will fight all 36 minutes against a mover like Bradley with the same ease he beat Rios. I have no idea how the rematch will play out I'm just stoked that I'll get to see it live. War Timmy!!!

Sucks that we won't see Stevenson vs Kovalev any time soon though :(

Edit GGG vs Chavez is a fantastic fight if it gets made. I'm hyped for Marquez vs Alvarado too. Finally some good fights showing up in 2014!!!

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 27, 2014

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

The Ninth Layer posted:

Mayweather undercard is half decent, I actually think Khan-Collazo is a pick em fight. I'll probably buy it even if the main event will be a whitewash. Imo the fight that would have set up a September foe for Floyd would have been Khan Garcia 2 at welterweight but this is good too I suppose.

I don't care what Manny says there's no way he will fight all 36 minutes against a mover like Bradley with the same ease he beat Rios. I have no idea how the rematch will play out I'm just stoked that I'll get to see it live. War Timmy!!!

Sucks that we won't see Stevenson vs Kovalev any time soon though :(

Edit GGG vs Chavez is a fantastic fight if it gets made. I'm hyped for Marquez vs Alvarado too. Finally some good fights showing up in 2014!!!

I get the impression Garcia isn't super eager to fight Floyd.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I think I'd like to see Khan fight Mayweather more than almost any other fight but I'm not sure why.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006

Jose posted:

I think I'd like to see Khan fight Mayweather more than almost any other fight but I'm not sure why.

Theoretically he has the speed to actually land a few punches unlike every Floyd opponent since Zab and anyone that's out there right now (under GB).

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Ninja PD posted:

Theoretically he has the speed to actually land a few punches unlike every Floyd opponent since Zab and anyone that's out there right now (under GB).

This, combined with the almost inevitably hilarious knockout once Floyd starts timing him, also makes me want this fight.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Floyd v Khan is certainly more interesting than Floyd v Maidana, but Broner v Khan is the best result all round if it comes off.

Does anyone really care who Floyd fights anymore? The idea of Mayweather is more exciting than the reality. They're more like pop culture events than boxing.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

nah he's managed to turn himself into the harlem globetrotters of boxing and we're supposed to just accept whatever poo poo opponent he dishes up and marvel at a pull counter on some B level fighter. not bad to say he was half the reason the biggest fight ever didn't happen.

showtime hosed up by giving him free reign of opponents with the 6 fight deal, ensuring he doesn't have to fight anyone with a chance of winning. this fight and card is beyond poo poo. hopefully nobody buys it and people start moving him down their p4p rankings soon.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

what the hell is a Cedric Agnew??

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006

ForbiddenWonder posted:

what the hell is a Cedric Agnew??

The dude that will hopefully squash The Next Big Fight That Won't Happen Even Though It's The Only Thing That Makes Sense and Everybody Wants since Stevenson has also inked himself a Showtime retirement package.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Ninja PD posted:

The dude that will hopefully squash The Next Big Fight That Won't Happen Even Though It's The Only Thing That Makes Sense and Everybody Wants since Stevenson has also inked himself a Showtime retirement package.

I mean it's going to be hilarious when it turns out that Agnew dominates Kovalev en route to stopping him or something but honestly I've always felt that Stevenson wanted no part of Kovalev after seeing what he did to Silakh.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006

The SituAsian posted:

I mean it's going to be hilarious when it turns out that Agnew dominates Kovalev en route to stopping him or something but honestly I've always felt that Stevenson wanted no part of Kovalev after seeing what he did to Silakh.

Yeah, I loved when Superman tried pump the Montreal crowd for a fight between the winner of Bute/Pascal or Hopkins and got crickets because they just saw his counterpart champion give a man one of those KO leg seizures in the middle of talking poo poo an hour earlier. I definitely am more in the Kovalev camp right now, but the residual bitterness extends over to both and probably more so over time if they remain dominant.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

here is the punch fighting: http://nutjob.eu/njtvx1.html

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
poo poo just got psychologically turned.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Lmao Mayfield licked Dulorme's chest

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Roy has been really good tonight.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

Ninja PD posted:

Roy has been really good tonight.

"Balls to the wall."

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Haha Lederman Lite should have a 20 minute HBO show where he goes through a boxing rolodex poo poo talking his judging peers.

Tale of the Tape for Cedric Agnew: One of fifteen children, Roy doesn't remember sparring with him, Jim didn't bother googling him before tonight.

Even if he doesn't win, hopefully Agnew can at least stand out of the pack for once with a good performance tonight (ie. make it to the decision)

If I remember right, Kovalev doesn't have outstanding defense so....

Ninja PD fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 30, 2014

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
My god Kovalev is a beast.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Uhh so Kovalev is kind of a beast?

e: fb

Agnew is game at least... not that it'll matter.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

Uhh so Kovalev is kind of a beast?

e: fb

Agnew is game at least... not that it'll matter.

Not sure how you eat a smashing left like that and come out swinging at the start of the next round with no regards to defense. Balls of steel on Agnew.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Kovalev is actually having a lot of fun right now.

And as I said that he gets cut :ohdear:

balancedbias fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 30, 2014

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Agnew employing the modified Homer Simpson defense I see

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Not a knockdown but he\s probably lucky Kovalev relaxed the action because he was wide open to getting his head uppercut off.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Really the only way to get behind the high guard. Good work Krusher :thumbsup:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Kovalev needs to give GGG some English lessons.

Dude is loving scary if he can get you in the corner.

"Adonis Stevenson piece of poo poo" hahaha

and HBO is running with it too, nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

Kovalev needs to give GGG some English lessons.

"Adonis Stevenson a piece of poo poo"

• Locked thread