Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

bitmap posted:

everyone just get tvpaint jesus

seriously though that animation paper looks pretty slick for teaching people how to animate on the cheap

Definitely, I was excited to come across it just because I've emptied my pockets recently on other stuff and TVPaint will have to wait for another day :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Getting back into FX animation after a while.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

bitmap posted:

sailor haters gonna hate sailors

Hey bitmap, I'm looking for animators for a 4 minute long animated short, with a needed commitment time of 4 and a half months and with a quota of 40-50 seconds a month (rough animation, of course, with cleanup it will likely be between 20-30 seconds), paid per second. Are you free or interested? if you want to know more details let me know and I'll provide an email then we can discuss details including expected pay.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I'm interested even though you didn't ask me. :blush:
You can e-mail me at sa.neonnoodle@gmail.com if you want.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

neonnoodle posted:

I will probably ask you someday to animate something for me, for my fiancee. I dunno what the proper fee would be.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

neonnoodle posted:

Oh poo poo sorry! This is absolutely an open invitation! I will send you an email soon!

TO ANYONE INTERESTED:-

I am looking for animators for a four minute animation short. PAID. Please let me know if you're interested, however take note of the following:-

1- this is frame by frame all the way through.

2- it'll be a big plus to have good effects animation skills but character is most important.

3- you must commit to both rough and cleanup and finish the monthly quota. If you want to part-time this then you can form a team with some one who will finish what you can't (rough-cleanup team) but the pay will be split as if both of you are one person. Full timers will be given preference for the position.

I am also looking for a background/ layout artist to help the one we have speed things along. Painterly brush style art. Take note, the guy you'll be working with is pretty loving Disney in terms of technical skill. So you better have perspective down real hard. But most likely you will be taking his line work and layouts and coloring refining them so I'm going to focus on your eye for color.

Applications are welcome for all. If anybody shows interest I will provide my email address.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 27, 2014

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Just curious, is this on 2's? Because 40-50 seconds of rough animation per month is pretty intense.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

neonnoodle posted:

Just curious, is this on 2's? Because 40-50 seconds of rough animation per month is pretty intense.

Yes it's on two's, but there's alot of still shots and snappy movements and it's not super fluid to the point of insanity except for a few key scenes so it's not like the ENTIRE cartoon is nothing but characters moving on twos. To finish the cartoon in four months with three animators each person would need to finish 16 seconds of fully cleaned up and lined animation per month, based off of previous experience while this is more suitable for full timers it's still doable.

*email sent*

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 27, 2014

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

quick draft extremes. breakdowns next.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

bitmap posted:

quick draft extremes. breakdowns next.

I'll take that as a 'not interested' :smith:

SpectacuLars
Oct 22, 2010
I'm wanting to make a crude animation series set in an outlandish fantasy world, for practicing animation and design. However, I am super-horrible with foley, voice acting (and also English) and sound design, and don't feel like investing much time on it. Nor do I feel I should bring in anybody else on a project that I might not be able to commit to. I know bad sound design really hurts a project, and feel it's even more true when it comes to one set in a fantastical setting. Royalty free sound effects and music usually sound really, really out of place, a silent animation sounds as exiting as watching dry paint, and I'm sure any voice foley I'd attempt would turn off people even faster.
Anybody got any experience working with limited audios? Would you even watch something that sounded like complete and utter poo poo if the animation and story was mediocre at best?

Also, love this thread. Thanks for keeping it alive.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Al-Saqr posted:

You'll never get him to work for you by guilt tripping him.
You have to bribe him. Pay him 20 dollars per frame.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

SpectacuLars posted:

I'm wanting to make a crude animation series set in an outlandish fantasy world, for practicing animation and design. However, I am super-horrible with foley, voice acting (and also English) and sound design, and don't feel like investing much time on it. Nor do I feel I should bring in anybody else on a project that I might not be able to commit to. I know bad sound design really hurts a project, and feel it's even more true when it comes to one set in a fantastical setting. Royalty free sound effects and music usually sound really, really out of place, a silent animation sounds as exiting as watching dry paint, and I'm sure any voice foley I'd attempt would turn off people even faster.
Anybody got any experience working with limited audios? Would you even watch something that sounded like complete and utter poo poo if the animation and story was mediocre at best?

Also, love this thread. Thanks for keeping it alive.

I really don't have any experience with that kind of thing, but silent animations aren't inherently boring.
Paperman didn't have a single bit of dialogue and I still loved it.

I think if your still practicing you shouldn't really worry your voice and music quality too much.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
A lack of dialogue is not the same as complete silence; I hope 'as exciting as watching dry paint' was hyperbole but I agree that animation loses a lot without sound.

But... I think you're really underestimating royalty free music, SpectacuLars. You have available to you hundreds of years of the best classical music ever written, I guarantee you can find some that will suit a fantasy adventure.

alternative: make blurp sounds with your mouth. If you plan around it, it can actually be pretty effective.

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014
As someone planning on doing two small shorts as a test to see if I can do longer ones, I sympathize with the no voice acting thing. I'm choosing to make them silent because even if I did have the money to pay for someone's voice acting talent, there's no reason sinking money into a thing that I'm not even sure will prove fruitful

SpectacuLars
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah, it seems there's no escaping it. Somehow, music under the public domain didn't even cross my mind. And the Paperman style might not be too bad, either, with perhaps some minor vocalizations for effect. Seems like I have to research some sound design after all and make some tests. Here's hoping it won't be so bad after all. Thanks, you bunch. :shobon:

Edit: Damnit, all this fancy music is making me want to make longer animations!

SpectacuLars fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 30, 2014

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

Oh! I didn't see that! Um, not so much a "not interested" as "stupid buried under work and I might not even be able to finish what I've already accepted oh god oh god", but thankyou for asking, really.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

SpectacuLars posted:

voice acting

Definitely play around with it. You might be surprised with what work-arounds you can come up with. For instance, though not an animation example, a lot of video games that don't have the desire or budget for voice acting will use some kind of replacement. What I seem to see most often is stuff like having instruments or simple melodies stand in for each character in quick bursts (Don't Starve and Night in the Woods come to mind). I don't see how something like that couldn't work in an animation if it was done right.

Not saying that you should use that specific method, but there are definitely ways to get around no voice acting. Not to mention there's been lots of great animation that have no dialog at all. There is absolutely a solution for you somewhere.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

breakdowns. Not looking good, gonna have to push the extremes like crazy, really carefully place the one easing frame I got and pay way more attention to swinging arcs.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
Is this more of a traditional animation thread, or are short sequences animated in flash in the style of low-res video games acceptable too?

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014
I really wish I had the foresight to not start this project in 12 fps because I'm finding lipsyncing pretty difficult to fit in now. But then again, I'm all about trial-and-error, so I'm gonna get it sooner or later. I mean, I wouldn't barrel on into 18 seconds of lip sync as my first big animation thing if I didn't believe in learning by doing"

SpectacuLars
Oct 22, 2010

JuniperCake posted:

Definitely play around with it. You might be surprised with what work-arounds you can come up with. For instance, though not an animation example, a lot of video games that don't have the desire or budget for voice acting will use some kind of replacement. What I seem to see most often is stuff like having instruments or simple melodies stand in for each character in quick bursts (Don't Starve and Night in the Woods come to mind). I don't see how something like that couldn't work in an animation if it was done right.

Not saying that you should use that specific method, but there are definitely ways to get around no voice acting. Not to mention there's been lots of great animation that have no dialog at all. There is absolutely a solution for you somewhere.

Yeah, I am indeed tempted to either synthesize gibberish voices by some yet unknown mean, or - the most elegant/simple solution yet - make it part of a more custom score by assigning one instrument to each character, which I feel might result in much more work. This seems to be the way to go at the moment. Banjo Kazooie also came to mind earlier, but that idea was quickly dismissed! And just for fun, I did just try some voice acting on my own. And, well, that's still very, very much out of the picture.

Now all I have to do is develop a more expressive style, and a strong narrative, and all those other things I don't really know. Talk about setting the bar high for yourself. It's almost like I don't want to have a life! :shrug:

In any case, I'll start making tests, and see what compromises I need to make further down the line! Cheers!

Edit: Jesus, formatting.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

bitmap posted:

Oh! I didn't see that! Um, not so much a "not interested" as "stupid buried under work and I might not even be able to finish what I've already accepted oh god oh god", but thankyou for asking, really.

Ah ok I understand. :)

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Ernie Muppari posted:

Is this more of a traditional animation thread, or are short sequences animated in flash in the style of low-res video games acceptable too?

Yep. Post that bad boy.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

bitmap posted:

gonna have to push the extremes like crazy
Also you might want to do this on ones. Crazy flails are a little fast for twos.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

neonnoodle posted:

Also you might want to do this on ones. Crazy flails are a little fast for twos.

oh yeah, the assignment is on secondary action and makes us put the extremes in, then the breakdowns, then the inbetweens. Next up is filling out the two frames either side of the breakdown and we're in onesville all the way. I think I've been a bit cheeky here.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah push those extremes

EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEME :black101: :supaburn: :siren: :krad:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Ernie Muppari posted:

Both are fine, I think.

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014
I probably could have posted this WIP earlier but eh, no better time than now I guess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivq5yqEKKM0

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

nikochansan posted:

I probably could have posted this WIP earlier but eh, no better time than now I guess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivq5yqEKKM0

hey that's real good acting

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
I got so enraptured by this I bought a thing

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/03/issue-14-preview-a-world-to-win/

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014

bitmap posted:

hey that's real good acting

Ah man, thanks! I'm kinda glad I tackled this head-on, I'm learning a lot. My only regret is not approaching it in a more structured manner

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
OK, so this took way too long and in the end I'm not even happy with it, but at least it's done and submitted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFQCo_sQMSg

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014

neonnoodle posted:

OK, so this took way too long and in the end I'm not even happy with it, but at least it's done and submitted.

For what it's worth, I like how you interpreted the audio, there's a kind of logic to it and I like that. I'd give some notes, but they probably aren't anything you aren't already aware of.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

nikochansan posted:

For what it's worth, I like how you interpreted the audio, there's a kind of logic to it and I like that. I'd give some notes, but they probably aren't anything you aren't already aware of.
I'd love to hear any feedback on it, even though yeah I became painfully aware of the weaknesses of it far too late into the process. I was aiming for a kind of mid-60's Disney Xerox sketch line, but my underlying construction isn't strong or consistent enough, I realized. The shot composition is just plain bad -- too flat, too evenly split. The thing I keep running into over and over and over again is layout and shot design, and knowing when to cut from shot to shot. I get very caught up in the posing out of my keys and then end up having everything in a single static camera.

I'm learning a lot as I go, and planning to do the next month's competition too just to stay in practice.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

neonnoodle posted:

Seems pretty fine to me. I think the poodle guy might be expressing too much maybe? The parts where he sort of turned away like he was looking out for the JFK sniper seemed a bit odd to me.

Then again, I make stuff like this:

So its probably best to ignore me.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
That pigeon is rad as hell
Don't stop scarycave
Don't ever :allears:

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014

neonnoodle posted:

I'd love to hear any feedback on it

Well, I feel like there wasn't enough jaw movement with the lipsync? It's more apparent on the last sentence from the dog on the left, but you can see it all throughout the clip. That's just me, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

nikochansan posted:

Well, I feel like there wasn't enough jaw movement with the lipsync? It's more apparent on the last sentence from the dog on the left, but you can see it all throughout the clip. That's just me, though

Yeah, the biggest thing I noticed was the left dog's head is kind of static. It seemed like his mouth wasn't really hooked up to his face and was moving on its own for some of the lines. The right dog gesticulates a lot so I'm guessing you were going with a contrast in energy, but it might have been too far in the other direction.

That said, nice work! I like the take on the audio you did, and both characters look well done.