Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It'd be probably smarter to just ignore the mods for a long while - the base game has a lot of stuff to explore and have fun with while nearly every mod pack I've come across suffers from massive bloat and inconsistent/unintuitive design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

In talks other than Oculus... I'm gonna guess that "I downloaded this game to try out and now four hours are gone, wtf" is kind of a typical reaction, isn't it? Because that happened :arghfist::saddowns:

Even beyond the base game though, I can already tell I'm gonna get dragged into an addon abyss from which there is no escape, and knowing third hand about the Minecraft modding "community" I'll probably come out of it even more embittered and broken than usual.

Oh well :v:

That is the standard minecraft user experience, yes.

If you want to forestall the mod-induced misanthropy, you can try using the technic launcher or something to download modpacks without paying attention to any actual people, I find that helps a lot.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
You don't really need to touch mods until you get completely and utterly bored of the base game. That took me a couple of years. I have only started playing on a heavily modded game a couple of months ago. There are also neat MP game servers with tons of minigames that are a nice diversion.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

That's good to know then, I suppose. Still, I don't suppose there are 'quality of life' addons that don't really affect the base game, just make it less irritating? (An in game recipe list comes to mind, for example, like I see in Yogscast videos all the time--that'll be the first thing I google for!)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The problem with mods is that every patch breaks them. So it can be annoying to keep up with, especially if you get used to certain things. I only use modpacks through Technic, which has an easy to use launcher that lets me download and install them all and switch between them without touching my vanilla install at all, which means patches to vanilla have no effect on my modded games. The downside to modpacks is that they tend to be kind of bloated.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Case in point, not every mod is currently up to the latest 1.7 patch, and 1.8 is coming out next month-ish. So you can either play with the latest stuff, or you can play with mods.

Hell, my favourite mod only just updated to 1.7 this week.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yeah, I just use a couple quality of life mods and that's it. A minimap mod, optifine, that 'if you have a chest in your inventory when you die the chest gets placed with all your poo poo in it' mod, maybe another thing or two. Plus Painterly, of course, but that's a texture pack and not a mod.

I do kind of wish Painterly still supported connected textures, by the way, but apparently the new format that part of optifine made for it is much harder to deal with for texture pack makers, let alone texture packs with hundreds of options for every texture so I'm perfectly alright with it not being supported.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
The biggest issue I have with unmodded Minecraft is the horrible in-game map system. Sure you can just go coordinates, but having a good map makes me enjoy exploration a lot more.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I used to break out the pen and paper and draw out a map before I started using a minimap mod and still tend to draw out landmarks sometimes if I feel like I'm going to be on a map for a long while. It's fun.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I use a map if it's there but otherwise I make beacon strings across the world to aid with navigation, or pick out identifiable landmarks and navigate by that. It's also fun.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've never gotten lost in minecraft, my one talent is apparently having a perfect sense of direction in video games.

I do make maps to decorate my house though, they look cool even though I'm poo poo at lining them up for map walls.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I only ever get lost in caves but that is because sometimes they are very tangled and broken up and there are very few things that can be considered landmarks unless you opt to build some underground. Very easy to get turned around down there, but when in doubt, tunnel upward.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Frankly, for a "basically no mods" game, a minimap of some kind, NEI, and maybe stuff like Carpenter's Blocks and Chisel (stuff that really should have already existed) is about what I'd recommend. I think about all of these are already updated to 1.7, too, so it's not like you'd have to wait for an update.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The various wikis are proving unclear. I got enough obsidian and diamond (FINALLY) and other stuff to set up an enchanting table (and nether portal) and enough bookshelves, but how do I pick out the enchantments I want? I wanted to put fortune and the durability one on my diamond pick, for example.

If it's utterly random like I suspect, and I get the wrong ones on an item, is it boned?

god damnit another 4 hours gone without my notice argh argh argh

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 29, 2014

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Ciaphas posted:

The various wikis are proving unclear. I got enough obsidian and diamond (FINALLY) and other stuff to set up an enchanting table (and nether portal) and enough bookshelves, but how do I pick out the enchantments I want? I wanted to put fortune and the durability one on my diamond pick, for example.

If it's utterly random like I suspect, and I get the wrong ones on an item, is it boned?

You don't. It's random. You can enchant a book with the enchanting table and then use an anvil to transfer the enchantment from the book to the pick. That will make sure your diamond pick only gets the enchants you want. As for getting those enchants onto the book in the first place, welp, good luck.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I haven't ever messed with enchanting, but aren't there some enchants that only show up when applied directly to the item or am I mistaken?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
This is why I consider enchantment rehauls to be a necessary ingredient in barebones/vanilla quality of life modpacks, like Tinkers Construct or at least Enchanting Plus.

It's also probably very telling of why my "vanilla" modpacks end up with like 50 mods in them. :eng99:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

flatluigi posted:

I haven't ever messed with enchanting, but aren't there some enchants that only show up when applied directly to the item or am I mistaken?

I don't think so, but the odds might change. You can also get two enchants on the item with one enchant, vs. the book only having one.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Serifina posted:

Frankly, for a "basically no mods" game, a minimap of some kind, NEI, and maybe stuff like Carpenter's Blocks and Chisel (stuff that really should have already existed) is about what I'd recommend. I think about all of these are already updated to 1.7, too, so it's not like you'd have to wait for an update.

I like using Custom Stuff 2 (now for 1.7!) and Terrain Control together, because the former lets me define new blocks, and the latter lets me seed them into biomes, allowing me to have biomes which do more than just determine what colour planks I get.

This is one of my experiments from version 1.6.4. It's the ice mountains biome, with all grass, dirt, and stone replaced with a custom packed ice block with snowcapped metadata variant.

Now that CS2 works for 1.7 I'll be doing something similar, including customised resources. Terrain Control allows for a basic replace function, so I can say "in desert biomes, replace all instances of stone with sandstone, and then replace all instances of coal with this new ore-in-sandstone block variant".

Those new ores can be just something like "drops charcoal instead of coal" or something more ambitious. The point is basically to make the world more interesting to explore, and to make biomes extend more than 2 blocks below the surface.

In theory I can also customise things like villages and dungeons, but I think that's a bit beyond me right now. I'd need help for that, so... any volunteers? :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Update to the latest snapshot, the new enchantment system is infinitely better than the old one.

Still pretty random, but it's slightly less so.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If you're going to bother with enchanting, either mine tons of quartz for quick levels, or build a quick and dirty mob grinder, a dark room with 4 channels of water leading into a 2x2 pit that falls for 22ish blocks, if you've lit up the nearby caves and surface it will fill up quickly.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If you're going to bother with enchanting, either mine tons of quartz for quick levels, or build a quick and dirty mob grinder, a dark room with 4 channels of water leading into a 2x2 pit that falls for 22ish blocks, if you've lit up the nearby caves and surface it will fill up quickly.

I'm not particularly chuffed about it either way, just looking for different things to do. Besides trying again to find a single bloody god damned carrot (:argh:) so I can farm me some porkchops in their mobile stage, that is.

Wish there was a way to automatically mine an area. Exploring is one thing, but going underground because I need more cobblestone and coal sort of bites :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 30, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just smooth out caves as you go along.. they don't have to be architectural wonders, but if you chip off the odd corner as you explore you'll wind up with more cobblestone than you'll know what to do with.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

How do I get minecraft.net to recognize that I own the game and can I please change my skin? It keeps saying I have to purchase the game in my profile, but in the account settings it shows I own it.

(edit) nevermind, site finally figured it out

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Enchanting is random until the next patch, which will introduce a completely new system that allows you to choose see which enchants you are getting before you pick them. The selection is still pretty random though. But the prices are better, unless they nerfed that at some point.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

Enchanting is random until the next patch, which will introduce a completely new system that allows you to choose see which enchants you are getting before you pick them. The selection is still pretty random though. But the prices are better, unless they nerfed that at some point.

Level 30 enchants aren't.. it only costs 3 levels to do a level 30 enchantment but you still have to be level 30, so you spend a lot more time in those slow 30+ levels.

But if you're happy with level 20 enchantments it's pretty nice, prior to adventuring I'll enchant four or five iron pickaxes and enjoy the boosts.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I enchanted some diamond things the other day for the first time.

I felt so proud of myself.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Ciaphas posted:

I'm not particularly chuffed about it either way, just looking for different things to do. Besides trying again to find a single bloody god damned carrot (:argh:) so I can farm me some porkchops in their mobile stage, that is.

Wish there was a way to automatically mine an area. Exploring is one thing, but going underground because I need more cobblestone and coal sort of bites :(

So yeah, modding. You sound like you're ready. Head over to the modding thread, get set up with Technic Launcher, and learn the joys of automating boring crap like mining more cobble or coal or whatever.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Even just a simple cobblestone generator is all but vital. Really makes me see how reliant on mods I am these days, I guess.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm just happy you can make a piping system that lets you dump ten stacks into a chest and have it distributed amongst a bunch of furnaces and then returned to a single output chest in vanilla nowadays.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Wait, how do you do that?
There aren't any pipes unless I missed something big, so I assume "piping" isn't meant literally.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Vib Rib posted:

Wait, how do you do that?
There aren't any pipes unless I missed something big, so I assume "piping" isn't meant literally.

You can do it with Hoppers, but with the caveat that they are even harder computationally than pipes were at their worst.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A pipe is simply a hopper feeding a hopper feeding a hopper, from source to destination. And really, hoppers and hopper-pipes are pretty easy as long as you never want things to go upwards. Just gotta make sure things process in a generally downwards direction.

And yeah, if you're not aware, putting two hoppers feeding off a double chest splits the contents in two, half for each pathway. So this is a simple double-furnace (though I haven't bothered to automate the coal off a single source, but that's easy enough to do):

for each doubling of the number of furnaces, you'd have to have another layer of double chests to split the input up more, although there may be a better way to do that.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 30, 2014

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

kas posted:

:wooper: PAINTERLY PACK UPDATE :wooper:

though I am fairly burned out of minecraft after literal YEARS of playing it, a painterly pack update always gets me to sit down with it for a few days

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

chairface posted:

So yeah, modding. You sound like you're ready. Head over to the modding thread, get set up with Technic Launcher, and learn the joys of automating boring crap like mining more cobble or coal or whatever.

Probably. First I want to try, later today, to do the intermediate step of a cobblestone generator with a piston to get the new cobbles out of the way. Plenty of step by step howtos but I'd much prefer to understand how the redstone stuff works.

Even as a programmer, this might take a while. I have no idea how loving clocks work or are built :saddowns:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Probably. First I want to try, later today, to do the intermediate step of a cobblestone generator with a piston to get the new cobbles out of the way. Plenty of step by step howtos but I'd much prefer to understand how the redstone stuff works.

Even as a programmer, this might take a while. I have no idea how loving clocks work or are built :saddowns:

A clock is simply a repeater, which repeats onto another repeater, which repeats onto the first repeater.

Redstone is magic and has its own power source, so everything can be constructed logically.

Cobblestone sheet generators are quite nice though, I made one a long time ago and it's nice just having a constant sheet of stone to mine.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Vanilla redstone is extremely stupid and does not work in any way that makes sense. Even the most basic setups are convoluted and tedious, and take up inordinate amounts of space. They also lag a lot. Mods will give you redstone that isn't retarded. Really it just sounds like you'd have a lot more fun with mods in general.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I think you're right. When I was watching videos on this stuff I most loved the sort of automation bullshit that could be done. Mob farms and cobblestone generators, that item sorter the Yogscast did in the Tekkit series, that sort of thing.

Until I feel like wading in and figuring all that out though, a question: I figured out the how of a redstone clock, tweaking the repeaters and all that, but is there a way to figure out exactly how many repeaters you need and on what setting for a given delay (say, exactly 1 second between switches)? I know the redstone tickrate is 10hz but I'm not sure where to go from there.

(edit) I eventually got what I wanted with six repeaters at their longest delay, but it was still kinda guess and check. :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 30, 2014

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

MikeJF posted:

A pipe is simply a hopper feeding a hopper feeding a hopper, from source to destination. And really, hoppers and hopper-pipes are pretty easy as long as you never want things to go upwards. Just gotta make sure things process in a generally downwards direction.

And yeah, if you're not aware, putting two hoppers feeding off a double chest splits the contents in two, half for each pathway. So this is a simple double-furnace (though I haven't bothered to automate the coal off a single source, but that's easy enough to do):

for each doubling of the number of furnaces, you'd have to have another layer of double chests to split the input up more, although there may be a better way to do that.

It's also easy to make cheaper horizontal pipes with chained droppers. Though if you've got the iron, hoppers are the way to go. And with comparators you can make sorting systems so whatever you smelt will go into its own chest.

And moving items up with droppers isn't too bad. A direct redstone signal shoots an item up two droppers (as the signal activates both), so you only need a comparator at the entry dropper and then spiral redstone to every other one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

The April Fools update to vanilla is kind of funny and obnoxious at the same time.