Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Shadokin posted:

That mirror is one of several places that cause blind spots in real life. You have to pay attention as you come up, and lean forward to get a different view. For particularly bad spots you angle your cab as best you can to give you as much clear line of sight as possible.

That said it amuses the poo poo out of me that you all play this and I am entertained every few weeks when I recheck the last couple of pages to see what people are saying.

Oooh, we have a real-life truck driver in this thread! Have you played ETS2, or are you just spectating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

Stick Insect posted:

You could verify your game cache and it will only re-download files deemed corrupt.

Right click the game in the game list, Properties, Local Files, Verify integrity of game cache

Thanks, I gave it a shot but no dice.
Ah well, I'll just use stock for the moment!

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Ah gently caress. I started a new game with new mods yesterday and then a jazzycat update comes out within hours and apparently updating painted truck traffic breaks saves for some reason. I thought it didn't even save traffic since it reloads whenever you load a save?
Probably shouldn't have deleted the old version entirely. Some day I'll have a save that works long enough for me to get anywhere.

Nevermind, it worked when I tried again. Weird.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
A while back there was a mod that made the interior noises louder, is that still a thing and does it work with the latest version? They just sound a bit.. wimpy, otherwise.

WARnold
Oct 30, 2004

You Lack Discipline!
Has there been any indication of the devs planning achievements for ETS2?
I think it's exactly the kind of (open-ended) game that could benefit a lot from having some kind of carrot dangling while you're trucking endlessly.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
The perils of mixing Promod with Jazzycat.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The yawning put that video on the next level. It was perfectly timed.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

Can someone link the "New delivery locations" mod please? I thought Jazzycat made this but I don't see it on his site and not finding it in a quick fashion.

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004

FredMSloniker posted:

Oooh, we have a real-life truck driver in this thread! Have you played ETS2, or are you just spectating?

Just spectate. My laptop screen is broke and I haven't had time to get it fixed, so the wonders of a euro truck simulator are currently lost on me. I do love all of the cab overs though, they are pretty sweet looking. You can actually get some imported here, as well as some of the companies still have a couple of models they might sell here.

Interesting fact about cab overs. They are actually much more aerodynamic then they would appear to be, way more so then the "classic" style of the long nose peterbilt. The biggest reason American companies switched away from them? Workers comp. A lot of people were getting hurt while getting in and out of the cab, resulting in them moving away from that design. They also didn't have a safe crumple zone, so if you wrecked you had a very bad day. I was pretty surprised when I learned this!

Shadokin fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 30, 2014

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

pfft, the 'classic style' lorry is cab-over. weird long nose is yank style.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Mistayke posted:

Can someone link the "New delivery locations" mod please? I thought Jazzycat made this but I don't see it on his site and not finding it in a quick fashion.

He took it down. I guess because it doesn't work with 1.9 (yet) he doesn't want people installing it then complaining to him that it doesn't work.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Anyone got a 'better sky' mod to recommend? Driving along at 10 PM and seeing a sky that looks like someone did a 50-50 mix of 'blue sky and fluffy clouds' and 'night sky and stars' is hurting my immersion. (And while I'm at it, what time zone and season does the game use anyhow? It seems to be light out for a disproportionate number of hours...)

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2Zegv3FxFI

Guy backs a B-double onto the ferry that crosses the Bass Strait from mainland Australia to Tasmania.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

snail posted:

Guy backs a B-double onto the ferry that crosses the Bass Strait from mainland Australia to Tasmania.
Oh poo poo this might be my cousin.

(We don't get a clear shot of his face but I do know he drives trucks for that particular racing team.)

EDIT: OK apparently he drives the team's other truck.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 31, 2014

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

Shadokin posted:

Just spectate. My laptop screen is broke and I haven't had time to get it fixed, so the wonders of a euro truck simulator are currently lost on me. I do love all of the cab overs though, they are pretty sweet looking. You can actually get some imported here, as well as some of the companies still have a couple of models they might sell here.

Interesting fact about cab overs. They are actually much more aerodynamic then they would appear to be, way more so then the "classic" style of the long nose peterbilt. The biggest reason American companies switched away from them? Workers comp. A lot of people were getting hurt while getting in and out of the cab, resulting in them moving away from that design. They also didn't have a safe crumple zone, so if you wrecked you had a very bad day. I was pretty surprised when I learned this!

So how many dead hookers can you stash in your cab?

Also :lol: at Americans being too retarded to get into fancy Euro trucks without hurting themselves. :patriot:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Rob Ford posted:

So how many dead hookers can you stash in your cab?

Also :lol: at Americans being too retarded to get into fancy Euro trucks without hurting themselves. :patriot:

More like too fat. :btroll:

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

Largepotato posted:

More like too fat. :btroll:

Oh snap - never thought of that, but I bet you're right.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

snail posted:

I see Red Bull Racing uses a MANly truck.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
So this has sucked me in. I can't really explain why and it's even harder to explain to my friends why I'm playing it quite so much but there's just something very, very relaxing about it. It's almost like a kind of meditation, I zone out totally playing this game just moving along tapping arrows to turn every now and then. I've gotten into the habit of searching out an album I've always wanted to listen to or failing that one that Pitchfork reviewed really well, sticking it on Spotify and just doing a delivery whilst listening to it start to finish. It's just very, very relaxing for some odd reason; the other day I took a delivery from Wroclaw to Paris, put a huge playlist on and once I arrived realized I'd just spent about an hour and a half or so not really knowing where I was.

Since I've only just gotten sucked in by it I was wondering what all of your total miles driven is? I'm at 10,312 miles, most of them done in my trusty Volvo. I opted not to use the bank loans and have just upgraded my first garage, few more runs and I'll buy a notMerc for my next truck and hire somebody.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I refuse to buy notMercs in game because Mercedes apparently gave the cold shoulder to SCS when everyone else (rightly) saw the positive exposure it brought to them. That's right, I'm not giving my e-money to any non-eCompany out of protest :colbert:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Overwined posted:

I refuse to buy notMercs in game because Mercedes apparently gave the cold shoulder to SCS when everyone else (rightly) saw the positive exposure it brought to them. That's right, I'm not giving my e-money to any non-eCompany out of protest :colbert:

Good news!

https://twitter.com/SCSsoftware/status/448400532336832513

Maybe I'll drive something that's not a Scania soon :v:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Nice! Proof positive that the best revenge is life lived well.

Oh, what's that, now that you see we're massively successful you want to reconsider? Well, we'll think about it. My people will be in touch.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

deadly_pudding posted:

Good news!

https://twitter.com/SCSsoftware/status/448400532336832513

Maybe I'll drive something that's not a Scania soon :v:

That looks like an actros mp4, so we should be getting that and the new daf at some point. Pretty cool seeing that when the game first came out the only two licenced trucks were scania and man iirc.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Shadokin posted:

That said it amuses the poo poo out of me that you all play this and I am entertained every few weeks when I recheck the last couple of pages to see what people are saying.

The same can be said about most jobs that are simulated. We have RL air traffic controllers that fly flight sims with us that don't understand why VATSIM controllers do it for free. Same with some of the people who fly commercial aircraft for a living. I work with a guy who's parents own a farm and he laughs his head off whenever I remind him that people pay to play Farm Simulator in their spare time. Then there's train sim spergs... let's not talk about them.

We autists are a strange bunch, apparently.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

EvilJoven posted:

The same can be said about most jobs that are simulated. We have RL air traffic controllers that fly flight sims with us that don't understand why VATSIM controllers do it for free.

Oh, I understand it. In fact I participate in it. It let's me practice my craft at home while drinking with goons. Now let me see if I can vector this airplane in a straight line.....

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

For me, I think the main reason I enjoy the game is simple enough: I enjoy driving. But I don't have the time or money to just drive wherever I want to go. Euro Truck Simulator 2 lets me drive through pretty scenery, and it includes goals like leveling up to keep me motivated. (I dread the day they include cheevos.)

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

For me, I think the main reason I enjoy the game is simple enough: I enjoy driving. But I don't have the time or money to just drive wherever I want to go. Euro Truck Simulator 2 lets me drive through pretty scenery,

This really for me. Bonus in that if I stop to look or in some way would have caused an incident in real life, it is just pixels here.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I usually play ets and drink till I either crash or get close, then stop.save and play Saints row III, pretty sure if you did that in real life next game you'd be playing is DWI arrest sim.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Oh, I understand it. In fact I participate in it. It let's me practice my craft at home while drinking with goons. Now let me see if I can vector this airplane in a straight line.....

OK, let me rephrase that.

A lot of goons have RL jobs, for which there are simulators, that they wouldn't bother doing in their free time while sober.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I don't play this game while drunk. It's relaxing on its own. Just something about unwinding by driving down a road at 100km/h listening to Hotmix Radio.

And I don't really play games when drinking alcohol anyways. Never saw the appeal of it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Well you see when you have a family you get limited fun (usually one late night a week for me) so you need to cram as much fun into that night as possible.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
New paint job DLC has just dropped. Also there is an update to ETS2? I dunno.

WARnold
Oct 30, 2004

You Lack Discipline!

MyFaceBeHi posted:

New paint job DLC has just dropped. Also there is an update to ETS2? I dunno.

The new update has to do with the DLC. (confirmed by devs on steam discussions)

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The DLC paint jobs that just dropped on Steam is also 20% off. I get them because it's like a small tip for the devs for such an enjoyable, relaxing game.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I am $0.20 short of being able to afford the DLC right now :(

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Something might have appeared in your Steam inventory. Not sure what.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

:3:

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Thinking about getting the expansion - how much content is in it and how do the maps compare to the vanilla maps?

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Skinty McEdger posted:

Thinking about getting the expansion - how much content is in it and how do the maps compare to the vanilla maps?

Get it! Seriously, don't question it, just get it. They did such a good job on the Go East DLC that it is worth your time and money.

Also, the new paint jobs are alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

red's new cities, orange new roads and the blue poo poo is just improved things I think. quality is the same as the rest of the map.

• Locked thread