Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Something I think would be cool is crafting by-products. If your workshop is churning out guns or whatever, they also churn out cogs, pipes, wire and so on as junk items that have no practical use and will collect in piles of garbage around your towns stockpiles and in the poor districts. Clever inventors will seek these piles out and use them to create weird and awesome inventions. Basically the idea is that lots of industry will fuel the technological progress of your colony!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Demiurge4 posted:

Something I think would be cool is crafting by-products. If your workshop is churning out guns or whatever, they also churn out cogs, pipes, wire and so on as junk items that have no practical use and will collect in piles of garbage around your towns stockpiles and in the poor districts. Clever inventors will seek these piles out and use them to create weird and awesome inventions. Basically the idea is that lots of industry will fuel the technological progress of your colony!

Byproducts could also be used as a kind of progress bar or random chance per quantity of some technological-based disasters, events, or enemies. You have made so many guns and shields that the crazed tinker has concocted a clockwork golem or something.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

nvining posted:

Golden Ticket people: I've been told that we can actually get these advanced now that we have done our PR blitz; it's waiting on me to sort out the post-GDC things that desperately need to be fixed.

Nvining, please let me be the Charlie Bucket to your Chocolate Factory. I yearn for Yog-Sothothery... :smith:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Poil posted:

Will whale oil be present in the game? As in sending out ships to whale the whales and then drag them back and have them processed into oil. Um, also how closely will I be able to remodel Dunwall from Dishonored? :shobon:

If so, I do hope that the process is illustrated as jamming a whole whale into one end of an extraction jetty, and having it slowly move into the building as cans of whale oil and whale nuggets exit the other end.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

LotsBread posted:

Nvining, please let me be the Charlie Bucket to your Chocolate Factory. I yearn for Yog-Sothothery... :smith:

You and me both but the elder gods have judged us unworthy :smith:

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

OwlFancier posted:

If so, I do hope that the process is illustrated as jamming a whole whale into one end of an extraction jetty, and having it slowly move into the building as cans of whale oil and whale nuggets exit the other end.
I hope you can accidentally harpoon a cyclopean horror that drifted up from the depths.

Mokinokaro posted:

You and me both but the elder gods have judged us unworthy :smith:

I thought the elder gods granted their worthy servants the privilege of being the last to be consumed? Then the golden ticket holders would be the most unworthy of all.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
While the Lovecraftian Horror angle is pretty cool and all, I really hope there are plenty of other crazy external situations that can occur/trigger with the game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

LtSmash posted:

I hope you can accidentally harpoon a cyclopean horror that drifted up from the depths.

I thought the elder gods granted their worthy servants the privilege of being the last to be consumed? Then the golden ticket holders would be the most unworthy of all.
Only if they still attempt to process it for oil. I'm sure the smoke that comes from burning that is perfectly safe.

No, it's the opposite. The worthy ones are consumed first so they are spared from the unimaginable horrors that are inflicted upon the rest.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

SeanBeansShako posted:

While the Lovecraftian Horror angle is pretty cool and all, I really hope there are plenty of other crazy external situations that can occur/trigger with the game.

From what it sounds like there are plenty.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
How much of these underlying mechanics will the player be aware of? A good touch of ambiguity goes a long way. The best example I can think of would probably be King of Dragon Pass. I guess what I'm asking is if someone is falling to the powers of the deep then will they have ways of hiding it not only from the other characters but from the player? Other people might have a different opinion but I'd like to be surprised. I feel like it takes a bit away from the cults and such if I can pull up someones character card and it just says "Worshiper of Azatoth" or something.

Well I mean, until they make it obvious by throwing on robes and holding meetings in the woods or something. Even then you could have the cultists robes obscure identities so maybe you only know how big of a cult you're dealing with and not necessarily the specific members.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yeah, something like having cultists stop granting the player line of sight while going to their biweekly cult meetings unless you follow them with the camera.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
There should be some totally benign secret activities that people get involved with too.

Oh no! You've uncovered a secret Nine-pin club.

It'd be super if every citizen had some secret scandal: Paranoia style.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ohmygodsquad posted:

How much of these underlying mechanics will the player be aware of? A good touch of ambiguity goes a long way. The best example I can think of would probably be King of Dragon Pass. I guess what I'm asking is if someone is falling to the powers of the deep then will they have ways of hiding it not only from the other characters but from the player? Other people might have a different opinion but I'd like to be surprised. I feel like it takes a bit away from the cults and such if I can pull up someones character card and it just says "Worshiper of Azatoth" or something.

Well I mean, until they make it obvious by throwing on robes and holding meetings in the woods or something. Even then you could have the cultists robes obscure identities so maybe you only know how big of a cult you're dealing with and not necessarily the specific members.

I'd actually love for it to be totally obvious.

:v: There goes Steve, looks like he's off to his Aligning of the Stars meeting. I tell you, ever since his wife left him, he's just been pouring all of his energies into channeling cosmic horrors for revenge. If only he was so driven in the refinery... Well, look at the time. I'd love to stay here all night and chat, but Nyarlatothep won't summon himself you know.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Volmarias posted:

I'd actually love for it to be totally obvious.

:v: There goes Steve, looks like he's off to his Aligning of the Stars meeting. I tell you, ever since his wife left him, he's just been pouring all of his energies into channeling cosmic horrors for revenge. If only he was so driven in the refinery... Well, look at the time. I'd love to stay here all night and chat, but Nyarlatothep won't summon himself you know.

The RPS writeup makes it sound like at least some of it will be that way. They were demoing the game and got sidetracked answering questions and some colonists had a mutual interest in artifacts. So they started talking about artifacts. And then together decided to tell the rest of the colony about how swell artifacts were, and they should go into the woods and look for some. And then wouldn't it a be a hoot to figure out the rituals to summon horrors the artifacts were used for?

Plus those Star Aligners are weird. They don't drink tea and I hear they wear special underwear they think is magic. Artifacts are way cooler.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

LtSmash posted:

Artifacts are way cooler.

Artefacts? Pfft! More like artefiction!

Come join The One True Religion today!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Geokinesis posted:

Artefacts? Pfft! More like artefiction!

Come join The One True Religion today!

You can't spell "artifactory" without "factory", or perhaps that's not the case in STAHLMARKIAN?

... we need to buy an emoticon of a crying cog in front of the Union Jack.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Our Non-Euclidean architecture may utilize load-bearing windows, but they're bigger on the inside than the outside and with today's real-estate prices, that's a plus!

I'm really hoping that the weirdness is beneficial enough that you'll feel the need to cultivate a sweet-spot where the cultists are engaging in animal sacrifice only, and the Non-Euclidean factories just have a lot of extra rooms but don't contain portals to other dimensions and the glossolalia cultists babble on the job, but they're meeting quotas so great.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Our Non-Euclidean architecture may utilize load-bearing windows, but they're bigger on the inside than the outside and with today's real-estate prices, that's a plus!

I'm really hoping that the weirdness is beneficial enough that you'll feel the need to cultivate a sweet-spot where the cultists are engaging in animal sacrifice only, and the Non-Euclidean factories just have a lot of extra rooms but don't contain portals to other dimensions and the glossolalia cultists babble on the job, but they're meeting quotas so great.

Yes this. I very much like the idea of a little colonial exploitation, and a little mingling with fishmen (and women), and a little Things Man Was Not Ment to Know, will make your colony happy, successful, and productive. Setting stuff up so they are mutually exclusive, and if you go down the stars align path, you lock out all the colonial horribleness, and vice versa will result in a lot of assets getting less use.

Happy, successful and productive may have somewhat nonstandard definitions, of course.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I liked some of the fluff in Dominions where the R'lyeh civilization has special pools in their coastal provinces where women can submerge themselves and hope to be taken by a great one. More often they're taken by deep ones instead and give birth to hybrid mutants. That could be a bit too dark for the game though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Slo-Tek posted:

Happy, successful and productive may have somewhat nonstandard definitions, of course.

Well there's already hints of this. Like eldrich tech which is more advanced but harms the sanity of workers near it.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
As much as the eldrich stuff excites me, I really do hope that it's not too much of a pain in the rear end to ignore it and to just focus on being the best widget producing colony if that's what you want.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I have plans on exporting the cheapest nastiest gin back to the mother country myself.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Volmarias posted:

You can't spell "artifactory" without "factory", or perhaps that's not the case in STAHLMARKIAN?

... we need to buy an emoticon of a crying cog in front of the Union Jack.

With Cogston brand runed obsidian gears in your factory you'll go from rags to eld-RICHES!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Geokinesis posted:

With Cogston brand runed obsidian gears in your factory you'll go from rags to eld-RICHES!

Ia! Ia! Great Deals Fthagn!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Nyarlathotep did go across the country selling people on his stuff with his awesome power-point presentation (well the more period appropriate theater projector version of that anyway). Just happens his stuff was "doom".

Having a traveling showman arrive in the colony that happens to turn people that visit his shows on to the occult would fit right in.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 1, 2014

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010
Barnabies Light Shows and Amusements presents "Man on Bicyglugh'th".

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Come see the Carcosa Players production of The King in Yellow! Audiences across the Empire have proclaimed it to be an unforgettable and life-changing experience!

Also, this page had a most appropriate ad for the last few posts:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Can we spend resources on upgrades? Like, going down to the tavern and spending a bunch of pitchers of beer on Advanced Sea-Shanties to make our sailors and whalers and dock-workers happier?

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance
I'm very pleased to announce that we're cancelling Clockwork Empires and are launching our new Virtual Reality platform, GASLAMP VR:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/04/01/gaslamp-vr-the-future-of-indie-gaming/

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
With any luck, you can sell out to Facebook for like a billion dollars!

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

I'm more concerned about the days since last musical number. I like to imagine the crew over there breaking out in Riverdance at random times.

You also use the same awesome Logitech mouse as I do. You're good people.

drat Logitech canceling the wired version! :cumpolice:

Mistayke fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 1, 2014

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

nvining posted:

I'm very pleased to announce that we're cancelling Clockwork Empires and are launching our new Virtual Reality platform, GASLAMP VR:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/04/01/gaslamp-vr-the-future-of-indie-gaming/

Is Blood & Steam going to be GASLAMP VR exlusive?

nvining
May 30, 2011

Golden ticket winners, you have an e-mail...

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

nvining posted:

I have a golden ticket

In my heart~

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

nvining posted:

Why did I have to be stuck at work for 10 more minutes when I discovered this :f5h::stare:

nvining
May 30, 2011

President Ark posted:

Why did I have to be stuck at work for 10 more minutes when I discovered this :f5h::stare:

And now you have to ask yourself...

Is this an April Fools' Prank?

Or isn't it?

Do you feel lucky, punk?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

nvining posted:

And now you have to ask yourself...

Is this an April Fools' Prank?

Or isn't it?

Do you feel lucky, punk?

I feel as though I have entered some sort of zone which contains danger.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

nvining posted:

I think I may have to go home early, having come down with a bad case of Tenticle Foot!

Edit: It's been 10 minutes and no reply to my reply, I'm going crazy with anticipation! :gonk:

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 1, 2014

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I have sent my reply. If this is an April Fool's Day joke, then my wrath will know no bounds.

:f5h::f5:

e: Current mood: :stare:

President Ark fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
So what is in the email? :)

• Locked thread