Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I think as a player I'm too squeamish to choose the 0 Mercy route, so the die rolls are a cop out for me.

If I fumble...haha, Morris's father would have probably told him "We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig... cow after cow... village after village... army after army.."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Make your ancestors proud

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Rhun - Winter Phase Experience Checks

So! Rhun gets checks to:

Courtesy, First Aid, Generous, Lance, Loyalty (Lord), Proud, Sword, and Valorous.

My rolls:

Experience Checks: 8#1d20 10 4 4 9 19 13 20 4

Courtesy 3 - roll 10 - increases to 4
First Aid 10 - roll 4 - no increase
Generous 14 - roll 4 - no increase
Lance 15 - roll 9 - no increase
Loyalty (Lord) 15 - roll 19 - increases to 16
Proud 13 - roll 13 - no increase (dammit)
Sword 15 - roll 20 - increases to 16
Valorous 16 - roll 4 - no increase

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Mine will be

Family 15
Pious 10
Humble 13
Valorous 15
Sword 15
F.A. 10

Winter skills 485: 6#1d20 3 5 2 7 16 3

Only sword increases.

Orokos dear... If I did anything to anger you I'm sorry

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I think Bledri just gets a first aid check. So that would be:

First Aid 10 exp check: 1d20 16

Passed. So first aid increases to 11.

How is it you guys managed to get so many criticals?

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses

ibntumart posted:

EclecticTastes has a great point about First Aid... I'm going to just automatically give everyone a check. If nothing else, some of you learned what not to do (such as not treating neck wounds with a tourniquet).

Everyone else... good news! I'm granting everything you presented and provided a rationale for.

Due to this and not so much for rolling crits

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Epicurius posted:

I think Bledri just gets a first aid check. So that would be:

First Aid 10 exp check: 1d20 16

Passed. So first aid increases to 11.

How is it you guys managed to get so many criticals?

I'm allowing y'all to nominate non-crit skills you can justify your knight as having demonstrably worked on in the game. DCB's post explains it in more detail.

It's not too late for you to throw out a few more skills. I'm being generous what with it being the first year and knowing what lies ahead for you guys, but will likely be more stingy next time.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Okay, so, experience rolls.

Honor
Love(Family)
Hate(Saxons)
First Aid
Sword
Lance
Courtesy
Valorous
Arbitrary
Energetic

Dear Orokos: I hate you, Sincerely, Sir Briant. Seriously I couldn't beat tens. Ugh. Well, at least my weapon skills went up, and it appears that Briant is now somehow legendary for his Honor!

(New trait-related annual glory: 65, from Hating Saxons, being Valorous, being Honorable, and being Arbitrary)
(New Sword and Lance levels: 16 and 7, respectively)
(Also I gain a point in Hate(RNG), but that's me, not Briant)

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

ibntumart posted:

It's not too late for you to throw out a few more skills. I'm being generous what with it being the first year and knowing what lies ahead for you guys, but will likely be more stingy next time.

If you think I deserve any, please tell me. But I didn't cover myself with glory this year, and I don't, in general, feel right nominating myself for any.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Welp, I guess I'll get in on the bandwagon with putting in for more checks. So far I've got a First Aid, Sword and Loyalty (Lord) check. I think Pellogres can certainly qualify for...

Generous Pellogres certainly went out of his way to show generosity to his captive, trying his best to treat the man as a member of his own family and do right by the values of his ancestors.

Merciful Pellogres believes strongly in the virtue of mercy, and has done his best to live up to that ideal in the past year.

Valorous Yeah. Charging berserkers, with no guarantee that he'd have any backup, though obviously his bros are awesome enough to have his back even without him asking for it.

Hospitality Once again, this has been a pretty defining trait for Pellogres and how he treated his captive.

Courtesy Pellogres used his first crit to get a Passion boost to his courtesy roll, and he's made an effort to be a pretty stand up guy and obey the rules of courtly behavior.

If these sounds reasonable to you I'll make my rolls as soon as possible.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Epicurius posted:

If you think I deserve any, please tell me. But I didn't cover myself with glory this year, and I don't, in general, feel right nominating myself for any.

Well, that just earned you a Modest check at the very least!

So I'll reread the IC thread and see what jumps out. I also welcome everyone else to make suggestions.

Lager posted:

Welp, I guess I'll get in on the bandwagon with putting in for more checks. So far I've got a First Aid, Sword and Loyalty (Lord) check. I think Pellogres can certainly qualify for...

Generous Pellogres certainly went out of his way to show generosity to his captive, trying his best to treat the man as a member of his own family and do right by the values of his ancestors.

Merciful Pellogres believes strongly in the virtue of mercy, and has done his best to live up to that ideal in the past year.

Valorous Yeah. Charging berserkers, with no guarantee that he'd have any backup, though obviously his bros are awesome enough to have his back even without him asking for it.

Hospitality Once again, this has been a pretty defining trait for Pellogres and how he treated his captive.

Courtesy Pellogres used his first crit to get a Passion boost to his courtesy roll, and he's made an effort to be a pretty stand up guy and obey the rules of courtly behavior.

If these sounds reasonable to you I'll make my rolls as soon as possible.

These all make sense to me, so feel free to make your rolls.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Alright, so rolls:

First Aid (10)
Sword (15)
Loyalty (Lord) (17)
Generous (13)
Merciful (16)
Valorous (15)
Hospitality (16)
Courtesy (10)

Rolls ended up as Experience Checks: 1d20 13 1d20 6 1d20 19 1d20 14 1d20 19 1d20 14.... Soooo, First Aid, Loyalty (Lord), Generous, and Merciful all go up by one.

Lager fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 9, 2014

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Bledri critted a Lance charge, probably deserves at least a check on Sword since he was swingin' it as much as the rest of us (ditto a check on Valorous for entering combat as eagerly as any of us), and likely deserves a Temperance check for declining to roll any Passions, even when prompted. Bledri's really level-headed. Those are my suggestions.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Ok. So Modest, Lance, Sword, Valorous, and Temperance.

Roll Against Modest (13): 1d20t13 0
Roll Against Lance (15): 1d20t15 0
Roll Against Sword (15): 1d20t15 0
Roll Against Valorous (15): 1d20t15 0
Roll Against Temperate (13): 1d20t13 0

So failed them all!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Epicurius posted:

Ok. So Modest, Lance, Sword, Valorous, and Temperance.

Roll Against Modest (13): 1d20t13 0
Roll Against Lance (15): 1d20t15 0
Roll Against Sword (15): 1d20t15 0
Roll Against Valorous (15): 1d20t15 0
Roll Against Temperate (13): 1d20t13 0

So failed them all!

I honestly think this fiasco is worth a check on Gaming.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Ha, I like that. Go ahead and add 1 to Gaming, Epicurius.

Also, I updated the Winter Phase post. Pipe up if you had hostages from the spring scenario and I'll calculate (1) how much sweet cash your knight receives and (2) if that bumps up your economic standing much (hint: it so will).

We're almost done with it, by the way. Mostly it's the marriage/childbirth and Glory tabulations left to go.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I did in fact get a hostage! Which one depends on Sir Elad. :)

The situation as I understand it - here's the list of enemies post-battle, while we're still patching them all up:

ibntumart posted:

Total HP/Wounds
  • Knight 1 (Owain's crit): -4 hit points/32 hp wound
  • Knight 2 (Briant's crit): 3 hit points/25 hp wound (note: he isn't in immediate danger of death, but still will need chirugery)
  • Knight 3 (Owain's and Rhun's surrender): 13 hit points/15 hp wound
  • Knight 4 (Pellogres and Owain): 26 hit points/2 hp wound
  • Knight 5 (Bledri and Briant): -6 hit points/2 hp wound, 8 hp wound, 2 hp wound, 8 hp wound, 16 hp wound, 6 hp wound
  • Knight 6 (Rhun's crit): 3 hit points/19 hp wound, 5 hp wound (like knight 2, unconscious and badly hurt, but not about to die)
  • Knight 7 (Elad and Rhun): -1 hp/2 hp wound, 1 hp wound, 26 hp wound

Unless I missed something in my reading of the thread, everyone who was in serious danger of death got first aid-ed back to some nominal degree of health, though I don't know if Knight 2 ever did get that chirurgery.

Rhun declared publicly that he had no claim to Knight 3, since it was Owain who actually dropped him; I'd also said that he would pass up any claim to Knight 6 to Derek if Sir Elad was okay with Rhun claiming Knight 7 as a hostage. So as near as I can tell, it's...

Knight 1 (Owain's crit): Owain
Knight 2 (Briant's crit): Briant
Knight 3 (Owain's and Rhun's surrender): Owain
Knight 4 (Pellogres and Owain): I don't remember if Owain told Pellogres 'you can have this one' but given that he's already got two hostages it seems likely
Knight 5 (Bledri and Briant): Bledri claimed this one, IIRC, because it was his blow that felled him
Knight 6 (Rhun's crit): 50/50, Derek and Rhun
Knight 7 (Elad and Rhun): 50/50, Rhun and Elad

A note: Elad did offer to split the ransom on Knight 7 50/50 with Rhun, actually, now that I reread that bit. And I think I mentioned - didn't I? I meant to, anyways - that Rhun would then make the same offer to Derek, so that Rhun will get a fill "Knight Value" of ransom between his two split ransoms, and Elad and Derek will both get half a ransom. That seems fair. Lemme go back and edit that in.

So if my read on things is correct, Owain gets 2 knights' ransoms, Briant, Bledri, Pellogres, and Rhun get 1 apiece, Derek and Sir Elad split one. This may be complicated a bit by the fact that it's possible that not all the knights will get equivalent ransoms, but hey, that's not my bookkeeping job. ;)

P.S. It would be awesome if I could learn Knight 7's name; he was the Pagan dude that Rhun tried to see treated fairly. Don't know if he'll ever be a recurring NPC, but hey, it never hurts to ask, right? :D

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 4, 2014

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

We also need to do the training and practice step. Also, Briant scored an invite to Hywel's place, when should I move to capitalize on that? I'll totally use my Winter coin to do awesome at whatever roll is needed to advance Operation: Marry Hywel's Daughter (Briant is not very creative).

PS: I think Derek should just get a full enemy's worth of ransom, we could assume Owain was a nice enough guy to share his extra hostage. I figure he fought with the rest of us, he deserves a full share of the loot.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

We also need to do the training and practice step. Also, Briant scored an invite to Hywel's place, when should I move to capitalize on that? I'll totally use my Winter coin to do awesome at whatever roll is needed to advance Operation: Marry Hywel's Daughter (Briant is not very creative).

PS: I think Derek should just get a full enemy's worth of ransom, we could assume Owain was a nice enough guy to share his extra hostage. I figure he fought with the rest of us, he deserves a full share of the loot.

Any socializing to find wives and whatnot is probably going to happen in a later section of the Winter Phase; I'm sure we'll get there. :) Training and Practice doesn't come until later on either.

As for ransom division, from a strictly gaming perspective I agree - we all fought, we should all share in spoils. But ransoms belong to whoever took prisoners, in-genre; whether Owain wants to share his filthy lucre or whether he wants to keep it all for himself because he wants to spend money to impress a girl is really up to his player (so, in this case, ibntumart, since potatocubed had to drop). Looking at his sheet, he's not particularly Generous or Selfish, but he is notably Just - so a case could be made that his sense of Justice tells him that rewarding someone who claimed no captive of their own would be unjust... but he's also Modest enough to feel lousy about claiming all the rewards for himself, as well.

I'm betting that the disposition of Owain's captives will come down to ibntumart making a set of Generous/Selfish rolls, but in a game where personality Traits are actually mechanically baked into the system, I don't want to make assumptions about what a character would or wouldn't do one way or the other... no matter how much I'd quite like to. :D

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
So here is hoping he crits his generous

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Sorry for not updating in the past few days. New job has led to me being zonked out when I get home. But tomorrow night I should be able to launch us forward.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Just checking in. Don't die, game! Don't die!

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Here to confirm that I am still breathing

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

I'll check in too, also hoping this thread keeps chugging along.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Sorry about the lack of posting. New work + my wife having lots of time off this past month = bad GM on my part.

If you guys are still game, though, then so am I!

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

ibntumart posted:

Sorry about the lack of posting. New work + my wife having lots of time off this past month = bad GM on my part.

I can understand. There are more important things than posting, but we're ready when you are!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

ibntumart posted:

Hey, the real world always takes priority. Hell, wedding planning's taking up most of my spare time, I understand completely. But very much still game, here!

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses

ibntumart posted:

Hey. Make sure things in the meat space are chugging a-OK first and that does not make you a bad GM. Also thanks for the time you have invested in us. Still game

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Oh, hey, we're still going? Okay, then! I had given the threads up for dead, but I'm still in if everyone else is.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Thread stalker reporting for duty, sir!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hooray! Still here.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Still around.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Awesome! Let's push forward then.

I'm poring through the IC pages now to tabulate Glory for the battle and will update soon, so watch this space as I wind up the Winter Phase this afternoon.

Ransom Amounts
Bledri: £18
Briant: £18
Derek: £9 (1/2 split with Rhun)
Morris: £0 (there's always next year!)
Owain: £36
Pellogres: £18
Rhun: £18 (1/2 split with Derek + 1/2 split with Elad) Did I ever tell you the pagan knight's name? Let's call him Pryderi, a staunch adherent of Lugus and Rosmerta, war and fertility.

Let me briefly explain the ramifications of this extra cash:
  • As far as your economic station goes, pre-ransom you were ordinary knights. That means you take in £6 annually, primarily earned from your manor, and spend the same amount keeping your household, lands, equipment, and yourself healthy and in good repair. You have no financial difficulties and experience no change to annual Glory.
  • Rich knights receive £9 to £12 per year and have to spend £8 to maintain a rich lifestyle. That means visibly more sumptuous clothing and decorations, regular feasts, and enough to fund two squires. If you spend more than £8, you gain Glory equal to the total amount you spend. So if you spend £12, you gain an extra 12 Glory in the Winter Phase that year.
  • Superlative knights receive £15 or more per year, £15 of which must be spent on keeping up the lifestyle. This is a knight who rides with three squires pimped out in gold-threaded silks and samites, puts jewels on random stuff, and wears feathers and furs from the most exotic of beasts.
  • So basically everyone who took a hostage can afford at least one year of Superlative living (after which you might have to sell off those feathered hats and bejeweled scabbards). Keep in mind you still have your annual £6 on top of the ransom, so if you wanted, you could hoard most of the profit and fund a Rich lifestyle for years to come.
  • You can also buy cool improvements to your manor, though that gets a bit intricate. But if you have something in mind, let me know. You can't afford to upgrade your basic wooden manors into carved stone palaces or anything, but certainly you could commission painted walls, a tile mosaic floor, intricately carved archways, etc. (Or secret escape tunnels, a bargain at only £6 per mile!)
  • Enhancements include gazebos, small hunting lodges, a mews (aviary for hunting birds), chapel, hermitage, gardens, religious monument (looking at you, Rhun), and so on. Sacred groves and/or pagan temples are another option. (Churches and monasteries are way too expensive for any of you to consider.)

Summer Battle Glory

Battle glory's a bit different from ordinary combat and skirmishes. You get Glory per round fought rather than for defeating individual enemies (don't worry, you usually come out ahead this way).

Base Glory Per Battle Round=30 (medium battle) x 2 for Clear Victory = 60 Glory per round for each knight

But hold on. How well did your knight do each round? Any round in which you rolled a critical hit, you get x2 the Glory for the round. Conversely, if you missed, you get half, and if you fumbled or ran away, only 10%. With that in mind, let's tally your Glory.
  • Bledri: 60x1x1x2=120 Glory
  • Briant: 60x1x1x2=120 Glory
  • Derek: 60x1x1x2=120 Glory
  • Morris: 60x2x1x1=120 Glory
  • Pellogres: 60x1x1x2=120 Glory
  • Rhun: 60x1x2x2=240 Glory

TOTAL GLORY EARNED IN 485
pre:
Bledri    Briant   Derek   Morris    Pellogres   Rhun

175       226      116     120       241         426
Important: Read the IC Winter Phase *and* OOC Winter Phase posts for instructions on how to finish this phase out. We are almost done, but I do need a couple of rolls and your decisions on point spends before starting the next year's adventures.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 6, 2014

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Whoohoo! More Winter Phase! So we've finished up experience checks, and we're not old enough to worry about Aging Checks, so next we go to Economic Circumstances; Rhun will be living as a Rich Knight, spending 9£ on his upkeep (the 6£ he receives from his manor in income, plus 3£ out of his ransom share). This will earn him 9 Glory for the year. "But DCB," you ask, "why wouldn't Rhun spend even more? You got 18£! Go hog-wild!"

Well, because Rhun has another spending priority: namely, the building of a Place of Worship. Now, this isn't covered in the normal Winter Phase rules, but the 4th Edition expansion Lordly Domains has a lot of complex crunch for the maintenance of a knight's demense and the improvement thereof. Lacking any better guideline to refer to, I'll be looking at it until ibntumart tells me otherwise. :)

The creation of a Small Chapel - or in this case the Pagan equivalent thereof, which I'm going to call a Small Sacred Grove until instructed otherwise - is a Big Deal; it is sufficient "religious coverage," so to speak, for a demense of anywhere between 1-10 POP. POP, or Population, is a mechanic introduced in Lordly Domains to measure how many dudes live on your land. It is worth noting that a manor and its surrounding land usually has a POP of 3, so even a Small Chapel Sacred Grove could be considered way overkill... but it's also the smallest thing with a price tag attached. ;) It costs to build, and Rhun is going to sink that money in ASAP.

This is Kind Of A Big Deal. Now, the book doesn't give any guidelines for attracting a suitable population of worshippers and/or clergy to your Chapel Sacred Grove, so it's up to ibntumart whether priestesses and witches and whatnot are part of the building cost or whether they'll show up later or whether there'll be an adventure involved later to attract them; I'm okay no matter what! Exceeding the 'standard' religious expectations, as Rhun is (arguably!) doing, usually grants a check to Pious and Generous... but again, that's ibntumart's call (and since we've already rolled experience checks, those checks won't do me any good right now anyways). The Traits might be different for Pagans, too; the book doesn't say, and it's ibntumart's decision.

It's worth noting that even a basic Church costs 100£ and is way the hell out of our reach, but Small Chapels should be doable for the religiously-inclined among us. A 'regular' Chapel is 20£, so it's possible that down the line we might be able to 'expand' any existing Small Chapels into regular Chapels for 12£... maybe. Again, all of this is using a book that A) some of you don't have and B) isn't even for this edition of the game (though as far as I know there's no 5th Edition equivalent and the mechanics don't seem like they'd change much), so at any point ibntumart could nix all of the above! That said, if he does choose to go with using Lordly Domains, it's worth noting that I know the book inside and out - I was basically the unofficial demense record-keeper in my group's Pendragon game because I knew the book better than the GM did - and I'd be happy to help out anyone with costs for improvements and the like.

Next up are Stable Rolls, which we don't have to worry about. Yay!

Then there's Childbirth and Family Events. We can petition for a wife here, but that would be dumb, and since none of us are married we don't have to worry about Childbirth; all that's left are Family Events. So, two 1d20 rolls...

Winter Phase Family Events: 2#1d20 4 15

A roll of 4 means 'Marriage in Family;' the 15 is my Uncle. As Rhun has no family Knights old enough to be his father's brother (they're all Young Knights), I'm assuming that he's one of the 'Other Family Men' and thus is probably not marrying anyone of special consequence, but still, it's good to know.

Next up: Training! Rhun can: Gain 1d6+1 points to spend on any combination of knightly skills, so long as none of them will be raised above 15 in so doing; or Gain 1 point in any skill, up to a max of 20); or Improve an Attribute, Trait, or Passion by 1 point, though no trait can be improved beyond 19 or passion over 20, and you can't increase SIZ.

After some consideration I decide to raise Rhun's Generous to 15 - not enough to gain annual Glory, but it's a religious Trait AND a chivalric Trait for Rhun, so it's a priority.

While Rhun does not have all his Religious Traits at 16 yet, and so is not a Religious Knight, let's check on his Traits post-experience...

Chaste 7 / Lustful 13
*Energetic 16 / Lazy 4
Forgiving 10 / Vengeful 10
*Generous 15 / Selfish 5
Honest 13 / Deceitful 7
*Just 10 / Arbitrary 10
*Merciful 10 / Cruel 10
*Modest 7 / Proud 13
Pious 10 / Worldly 10
Prudent 10 / Reckless 10
Temperate 10 / Indulgent 10
Trusting 10 / Suspicious 10
*Valorous 16 / Cowardly 4

The sum of my Chivalrous Traits is... let's see, 16+15+10+10+7+16=74. I need 80. No Chivalry bonus yet!

Next up is Compute Glory.

Rhun started with 1255 Glory. He earned 426 Glory in the year, plus his annual awards of 32 (for two famous Traits, his Energetic and Valorous), 6 (his Holdings), and 48 (his notable Passions of Love (Family), Hospitality, and Honor). In addition he gets another 16 (for his newly-famous Loyalty (Lord)) and 9 (for his expenditures as a Rich Knight). His new Glory is 1792 Glory, which is pretty dang respectable!

Then, finally, there's Glory Bonus Points. We all started the year as Squires - technically speaking Rhun started at 255 Glory, not 1255 - and so we all earned 1000 Glory for being Knighted... so we all get a Bonus Point! Huzzah! This is a point that can be added to anything so long as it doesn't boost an attribute past its racial Max and it can't go to SIZ if you're over 21.

I'm going to increase Rhun's Generous once again, making it a 16; one step closer to those all-important chivalrous and religious bonuses! Plus, another 16 Glory a year for having a famous Trait (but I don't get that Glory this year because it's not becoming famous until after the Glory computation step).

My total chivalrous traits are 75 of the 80 required... but since I also want to boost my Proud from 13 to 16 to qualify for my religious bonus, which will lower my chivalrous Trait of Modest in so doing, I'm actually 8 points away. Ouch. Still doable! Eventually!

so in my next post I'm going to post Rhun's new, updated character sheet.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 6, 2014

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun the Industrious
Glory: 1792

Son Number: 1
Homeland: Salisbury
Culture: Cymric
Religion: Pagan
Lord: Earl of Salisbury
Current Class: Vassal Knight
Current Home: Broughton Manor

Personality Traits
Chaste 7 / Lustful 13
*Energetic 16 / Lazy 4
Forgiving 10 / Vengeful 10
*Generous 16 / Selfish 4
Honest 13 / Deceitful 7
*Just 10 / Arbitrary 10
*Merciful 10 / Cruel 10
*Modest 7 / Proud 13
Pious 10 / Worldly 10
Prudent 10 / Reckless 10
Temperate 10 / Indulgent 10
Trusting 10 / Suspicious 10
*Valorous 16 / Cowardly 4

Directed Trait:
Chivalrous Bonus: (75/80) NO
Religious Bonus: NO

Passions
Loyalty (Lord): 16
Love (Family): 16
Hospitality: 16
Honor: 16

Statistics
SIZ 14 (Knockdown)
DEX 11
STR 13
CON 12 (Major Wound)
APP 16

Damage [(STR+SIZ)/6]: 5d6
Healing Rate [(STR+CON)/10]: 3
Movement Rate [(STR+DEX)/10]: 2
Total Hit Points (SIZ+CON): 26
Unconscious (HP/4): 7

Distinctive Features: Bright Red Hair, High Cheekbones

Skills
Awareness 11
Boating 1
Compose 1
Courtesy 4
Dancing 10
Faerie Lore 1
Falconry 3
First Aid 10
Flirting 10
Folklore 2
Gaming 3
Heraldry 3
Hunting 2
Intrigue 3
Orate 7
Play [harp] 3
Read [Latin] 0
Recognize 3
Religion [Pagan] 10
Romance 2
Singing 2
Stewardship 2
Swimming 2
Tourney 2

Battle 10
Horsemanship 15
Sword 16
Lance 15
Spear 6
Dagger 5

Horses
Warhorse Type: Charger
Damage: 6d6
Move: 8
Armor: 5
HP: 46
SIZ: 37
CON: 12
STR: 30
DEX: 17
Breed:

Riding Horse Type: Rouncy Move: 6
Squire's Horse Type: Rouncy Move: 6
Horse #4 Type: Sumpter Move: 5
Horse #5 Type: Rouncy Move: 6

Equipment
Armor Type (10 Points): Norman mail, with Shield (6 points)
Clothing (1 Libra Value): Fine clothing
Weaponry: Sword, 2 spears, dagger
Personal Gear (on Horse #4):
Travel Gear (On Horse #4):
War Gear (On Horse #2):
Spare Cash: 6 Libra

Family Characteristic: Keen Senses (+5 Awareness)

Annual Glory Awards
Traits: 18 (Energetic, Valorous, Generous)
Chivalry: 0
Holdings: 6
Passions: 64 (Love (Family), Hospitality, Honor, Loyalty (Lord))
Religion: 0
TOTAL: 88

Holdings
Manor of Broughton (improvements: Pagan Chapel-equivalent)

Army
Family Knights: 0 Old Knights, 0 Middle-Aged Knights, 5 Young Knights
Vassals: N/A
Other Lineage Men: 18
Levy: 52

NOTABLE EVENTS:

485: Knighted by Earl Roderick of Salisbury. Skirmish at Allington, where Rhun met the Pagan Knight Sir Pryderi. Battle of Mearcred Creek, under the command of Prince Madoc, where a Saxon detachments, including berserkers, was repulsed. Instituted lavish Pagan celebrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 9, 2014

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Sword Skill 15: 1d20t16 0
Failure...

Family Events;Member;Training and Practice: 1d20 15 1d20 11 1d6+1 3
Great, my sister is...still missing. Iblis!

And I will boost my Courtesy by 3. I guess I was reading etiquette manuals in between bouts of brooding.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 6, 2014

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Events year 485: 2#1d20 14 19

One of my cousins is missing oh no.

skill increase: 1d6+1 5

They are all going into courtesy. I will also save up my extra money

Glory: 1275

Traits
Chaste 13/Lustful 7
*Energetic 16/Lazy 4
Forgiving 13/Vengeful 7
*Generous 10/Selfish 10
Honest 10/Deceitful 10
*Just 10/Arbitrary 10
*Merciful 13/Cruel 7
*Modest 13/Proud 7
Pious 10/Worldly 10
Prudent 10/Reckless 10
Temperate 13/Indulgent 7
Trusting 10/Suspicious 10
*Valorous 15/Cowardly 5

Chivalry Bonus? NO (77/80)
Religion Bonus? NO

Passions
Loyalty (to my lord) 15
Love (of my family) 15
Hospitality 16
Honour 16
Hate (Saxons) 17
Hate (Irish) 10

Attributes
SIZ 12
DEX 14
STR 13
CON 13
APP 13

Distinctive Features: Nice smile, strong arms

Derived Statistics
Damage 4d6
Healing Rate 3
Movement Rate 3
Total Hit Points 25
Unconscious 6

Skills
Awareness 5
Boating 1
Compose 1
Courtesy 8
Dancing 15
Faerie Lore 1
Falconry 3
First Aid 10
Flirting 3
Folk Lore 2
Gaming 3
Heraldry 10
Hunting 10
Intrigue 5
Orate 10
Play [Lute] 5
Read [Latin] 0
Recognize 3
Religion [Roman Christianity] 2
Romance 2
Singing 2
Stewardship 12
Swimming 2
Tourney 7

Battle 10
Horsemanship 13
Sword 15
Lance 15
Spear 6
Dagger 5

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Manor build projects are listed in the 5e book. Churches are listed at fifty pounds (still too rich for our blood), but chapels are listed at an affordable eight pounds, in case Derek wants one to show off his own faith. Briant will be living as a Rich knight at 9 pounds, as well, but the remainder will be banked either for future years, or any investments he needs to make in forwarding his plans to marry Sir Hywel's daughter.

Now, for rolls. Note that we did not perform the training and practice step (edit: Though DCB totally did it and I didn't notice so you probably already knew to do it), so we can still choose our method for skill increase. I'll take the 1d6+1 option. I got six points! This allows me to increase Courtesy to the max of 15, with one point left over, which will go into Romance. Note that you can't increase skills tagged "Non-knightly" with these points, but "Non-knightly" is a distinct descriptor, and does not just mean any skill without the "Knightly" tag. I had been worried until I realized that one.

Oh, and I'll roll Courtesy (using my old total of 10) to see if I can bank a +1 on the marriage chart, just in case my plans fall through. And I make it.

And now for family events! Looks like I got lucky, it's a scandalous rumor! They're kind of a pain, but they're interesting and that's always fun. Now, who's it about? Apparently one of Briant's three brothers. I think I'll go with Gracian and/or Alein (they're pretty much interchangeable), his twin younger half-brothers (they're the legitimate ones, by dad's second wife, who is not Briant's mother by virtue of Briant having had to have been born before the year the marriage event occurred on the timeline). So, what did he/they do? Illicit love affair! Well, they're still squires so it's unlikely anyone would care unless it were with each other and I'm gonna say emphatically that that is not the case. That said, since it's gotten this far, Briant's probably gonna whack both of them upside the head (regardless of whether or not the other twin was even involved, all the better to remind him not to get into that stuff).

I'll do as DCB did and repost my character sheet with updated info momentarily.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 7, 2014

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

...oh hey! Page 166, Major Investments! Neat! Thanks, EclecticTastes!

Also, upon further reflection, I've decided that Rhun's simply building the Pagan equivalent of a Chapel isn't quite enough; he is very open and demonstrative about his faith, and so I'd like to have him drop an additional Librum on, effectively, 'Pagan Celebrations' - that is to say, it's not just enough for him to build the Grove, he wants to utilize it in a public fashion. His levy will ride out to let his peasants know about the celebrations, et cetera.

My motivations are threefold. One, it's possible I could eke out some mechanical benefit from doing so (Lordly Domains goes into things like rating your peasantry's Love and Loyalty for you as their Lord; who's to say ibntumart isn't tracking these things behind the scenes? Plus there's the chance I could grab some Pious or Generous or Honest checks or what have you - heck, maybe even Lustful, depending on the celebrations...). Two, one of the ways one gets Glory is through 'conspicuous consumption' - effectively, wasting money (this is why Rich Knights get additional Glory every year). Whether people talk about Rhun in a positive light because of this or a negative one... they will talk about him, and that means Glory! And three, Rhun's goal of eventually getting married will be a lot simpler when he can cross several candidates off the list of potential brides when they refuse to speak with him anymore since he's known to be a filthy Pagan. ;)

And, as an added benefit, it might even lead to roleplaying opportunities and plot hooks, which are always welcome!

I'll update my sheet's noted cash reserves.

Edit: And actually, given Rhun's Love (Family), it would be great if we could tie this into the wedding celebrations for his Uncle.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Name: Sir Briant (known as "The Feckless" among those outside his range of hearing)
Religion: British Christian
Home: Newton
Family characteristic: Clever
Heirloom: Decorated Saddle

Traits:
Just/Arbitrary: 4/16
Valorous/Cowardly: 16/4
Generous/Selfish: 13/7
Energetic/Lazy: 13/7
Chaste/Lustful: 13/7
Temperate/Indulgent: 13/7
Forgiving/Vengeful: 9/11

Passions:
Loyalty (Lord): 15
Love (Family): 15
Hospitality: 15
Honor: 16
Hate (Saxons): 17

Attributes:
Size: 18
Dex: 8
Str: 15
Con: 21
App: 8

Damage: 6d6
Hit Points: 39
Unconscious at: 10
Move Rate: 2
Healing Rate: 3
Distinctive Features (2, chosen rather than rolled): Haughty Sneer, Booming Voice

Skills:
Awareness 10
Boating 1
Compose 1
Courtesy 15
Dancing 2
Faerie Lore 1
Falconry 3
First Aid 10
Flirting 3
Folk Lore 2
Gaming 13
Heraldry 3
Hunting 10
Intrigue 3
Orate 5
Play (Harp) 3
Read (Latin) 0
Recognize 10
Religion (Christianity) 2
Romance 3
Singing 2
Stewardship 10
Swimming 10
Tourney 2

Battle 15
Horsemanship 10
Sword 17 (Bonus Point used here)
Lance 7
Dagger 5

Army:
Middle-Aged Knights: 3
Young Knights: 6
Non-lineage Men: 12
Levy: 56

Who the family knights are:
Middle-Aged:
-Guy (Briant's uncle, a far more accomplished knight than his older brother, Briant's father. Father of Floridas and Gauter, with Floridas taking strongly after him in every respect. Briant is less loathe to accept aid from Guy than Floridas, though Guy is generally much busier and thus less able to drop what he's doing and lend a hand.)
-Eliot (The other younger brother of Briant's father, has no sons, treats Briant like his own, but doesn't have a great deal of influence, as he's only an average knight.)
-Adtherp (illegitimate brother of Briant's father, grateful to have even been given land and knighted. He's probably a far better knight than he's given credit for, but he doesn't assert himself very well, so everyone walks all over him.).
Young:
-Gracian and Alein (Briant's twin younger brothers by his father's second wife, the woman he married in 464, they admire their brother, but Briant sees them as reminders of his father's total inability to claim any sort of glory for himself. The idiots recently got caught fighting over a barmaid's affections, to their embarrassment. Luckily, they're not yet full knights, so Briant just boxed their ears and hopes the matter will quietly fade away.)
-Floridas (The elder son of Guy, a far more dashing and popular knight than Briant, or anyone else in his age bracket for that matter, though lacking Briant's bulk and strength. Always willing to help out a family member in need, but Briant cannot so much as ask without passing a Love(Family) check, due to his seething hatred of the prancing fop.)
-Gauter (Younger son of Guy, overeager and with a penchant for getting himself into trouble. Knighted the same year as Briant & co., his lack of caution will have gotten him chewed out quite thoroughly after some foul-up or another, possibly requiring a bail-out from Floridas.)
-Melion (Son of Briant's deceased maternal uncle, feels similarly resentful for having an incompetent milksop for a father. A couple years Briant's senior, he's acquitted himself well enough as a knight, but he's yet to stand out. Briant considered him one of his few friends growing up.)
-Perin (Briant's illegitimate younger brother by a house maid of his father, hates Briant's father more than Briant himself, and they have found commonality and friendship in their mutual disdain for the dead fool.)

Family History:

Great-Grandfather: Elias, Roman Christian, Glory at Death: 2300

Grandfather: Adelbert, Roman Christian nee British Christian, 1255 starting Glory, fought at Carlion, survived with 60 Glory earned, did not hold it against the Irish, served garrison and survived the Picts in 440 and earned 10 Glory, survived 441-442 with 20 Glory earned, finally killed by Garrison in 443 with a final total of 1365 Glory. His father would have been so proud.

Father: Edward, British Christian, 1137 starting Glory, serves garrison from 460 to 464, gains a paltry 50 Glory from marrying a widow in 464, fought at Carlion and survived with 60 Glory in hand, fought at Snowdon and survived with a pittance of 30 Glory for showing up, finally found his calling when he earned 200 Glory murdering Saxons, decided to try his luck at Windsor, died like a chump with a posthumous reward of 45 Glory. Embarrassed son takes it personally. Final Glory was 1522. At least he did better than his father.

Annual Glory:

Traits/Passions: 65 (Arbitrary, Valorous, Hates Saxons, Honor)
Land: 6

Other:

Status: Rich (theoretically, for the next five years after this one, which should hopefully be more than enough time to lock down the Hywel heiress and ensure a more permanent standard of living)
Cash in coffers: 15 pounds (unless an affordable expenditure can provide a more efficient tangible benefit for him than a 1:1 Glory boost for this year)
Special assets: Open invitation to Hywel's estate (to be used at first opportunity to get some progress made towards marrying the rich girl)

Current Glory: 1492 (226 (normal Glory) + 49 (Traits) + 6 (land held) + 9 (made it rain))

Note: In one year, Briant managed to exceed his grandfather's final tally by over one-hundred points, and will certainly surpass his father, even if he fails to reach next winter. His family produced The Worst Knights.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 7, 2014

• Locked thread