Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Tracula posted:

It'd be nice if Way of the Blue had more incentive to be in. At level 1 and 3 you get crappy rings and rank 2 gives you a crappy spell. I do like the lore of it just being a pact of the meek and how it's vaguely religious but without any sort of deity.

My feeling is they should have just done away with Way of Blue and let everyone get a ring from Saulden to wear if they wanted help with invaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Tracula posted:

It'd be nice if Way of the Blue had more incentive to be in. At level 1 and 3 you get crappy rings and rank 2 gives you a crappy spell. I do like the lore of it just being a pact of the meek and how it's vaguely religious but without any sort of deity.

Moreso than the graphics I remember Aldia's Keep looking so much more interesting in the initial trailers than what we got. The dragon skeleton is so disappointing.

I think I would have preferred if Way of the Blue were just one covenant, and you can choose to put on either the ring for summoning or ring for being summoned (they'd be incompatible with each other). That way the ability to be a Blue Sentinel doesn't hinge on someone being in a lovely covenant, and at any time you can choose to either protect or be protected.

I mean I think it's cool that Blue Sentinels would be this separate, elite order from a flavor perspective, but it really splinters the pool for PVP. If it's already hard to be invaded or get summoned as a Blue Sentinel now, I can't imagine what it'll be like when the game is less popular.

And yeah I also think it might have been cool to just have the Blue Sentinel thing be a ring.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 2, 2014

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Man, it seems like 3 out of 5 bell invasions are pyromancer spawn campers now. I mean, go for what wins battles, but this poo poo gets tiring.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

I like how he disproves that it's a 1/1000 chance to get the drat thing, so anyone who wants to do a peasant build and "groom th FUK out of thos crops" can get their pickaxe as long as their good.

Nickoten posted:

I think I would have preferred if Way of the Blue were just one covenant, and you can choose to put on either the ring for summoning or ring for being summoned (they'd be incompatible with each other). That way the ability to be a Blue Sentinel doesn't hinge on someone being in a lovely covenant, and at any time you can choose to either protect or be protected.

I mean I think it's cool that Blue Sentinels would be this separate, elite order from a flavor perspective, but it really splinters the pool for PVP. If it's already hard to be invaded or get summoned as a Blue Sentinel now, I can't imagine what it'll be like when the game is less popular.

And yeah I also think it might have been cool to just have the Blue Sentinel thing be a ring.

It wouldn't make sense that the people who have faith in the Blue Sentinels, something entirely different, would be Blue Sentinels themselves. I'd like for it to work for everybody, as long as you wear your ring or something, but Way of Blue members would have higher priority, and the ones who wear the ring have a higher priority over the ones who don't.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Torquemadras posted:

For some reason, there is exactly ONE spot in Blighttown where I get massive slowdown; everywhere else is perfectly fine (or at least, not atrocious).

That spot is the last bit of wooden planks before you reach the poisonous swamp proper. It's a kind of ramp, and there are A LOT of fire spiders around it. I believe it's also where mosquitos start spawning and homing in on your location.

I think someone said in the last souls thread that the blight town FPS problem is due to mosquito wings?

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I might go farm some souls to buy arrows or upgrade a magic shield, but I think that really sucks if I have to do that, because there weren't any parts in Demon's Souls or Dark Souls where I had to build a resist set or completely change my play style and pull out a bow to get past.

Dark souls wasn't a super bow-needy game but Demon's souls certainly was. How did you kill the red or blue dragons? I remember needing a fire resistant shield in demon's, and magic too.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Boxn posted:

I like how he disproves that it's a 1/1000 chance to get the drat thing, so anyone who wants to do a peasant build and "groom th FUK out of thos crops" can get their pickaxe as long as their good.

It wouldn't make sense that the people who have faith in the Blue Sentinels, something entirely different, would be Blue Sentinels themselves. I'd like for it to work for everybody, as long as you wear your ring or something, but Way of Blue members would have higher priority, and the ones who wear the ring have a higher priority over the ones who don't.

Well the flavor would of course be different to mesh with any mechanical change.

I'd also like it to work for everyone, though I feel like the ring might be too strong when there are four ring slots.

quote:

Dark souls wasn't a super bow-needy game but Demon's souls certainly was. How did you kill the red or blue dragons? I remember needing a fire resistant shield in demon's, and magic too.

I honestly never thought bows were that necessary in Demon's Souls, either, but then I never bothered to kill the dragons.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

redreader posted:

I think someone said in the last souls thread that the blight town FPS problem is due to mosquito wings?

I was pretty sure I heard it was something to do with the AI pathing being so complex in Blighttown. :shrug:

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Attestant posted:

Defender Greatsword is love. I am never letting go of this sword. :allears:

I burnt Defender's soul for the shield, while nice, I didn't know the Greatsword was so boss. I'll need to wait til NG+ correct?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I'd forgotten actually, when I got summoned as a sentinel, the host wouldn't stop attacking me. Like, at all. I tried doing friendly gestures, but to no avail. Then the actual invader came and killed him while he was swinging at me. I guess he hadn't been protected before.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Had my first really maddening DS moment last night when I fell into the lava more than once in Iron Keep.

Also, I'm realizing that leveling up isn't always the best since it's more difficult to do co-op play.

Quick question: as a sunbro, can I just turn in 20 sunlight medals to get the sword, or do I have to do 10 and then 20. Also is the sun gear worth it?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

!Klams posted:

I'd forgotten actually, when I got summoned as a sentinel, the host wouldn't stop attacking me. Like, at all. I tried doing friendly gestures, but to no avail. Then the actual invader came and killed him while he was swinging at me. I guess he hadn't been protected before.

It's possible that he only knew of Blue invaders, and not Blue protectors, and the color tone is different too, Arbiters have a light blue shade, and protectors have a dark blue one. Did you explain it to him via messaging? Did you do your best to go after the Black Phantom at all? Or was the host bottlenecking your through a doorway?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Don't have a fire cow, man

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Man, it seems like 3 out of 5 bell invasions are pyromancer spawn campers now. I mean, go for what wins battles, but this poo poo gets tiring.

What's really silly about it is there is already a covenant for doing exactly this. Camping Bell Keepers you...temporarily inconvenience someone without even the benefit of collecting rocks. Like you say, do what works but it does seem like it would get dull really fast.

MoraleHazard posted:

Quick question: as a sunbro, can I just turn in 20 sunlight medals to get the sword, or do I have to do 10 and then 20. Also is the sun gear worth it?

You just need to turn in twenty total. The shield is bad, but the sword is solid if you boost strength and dex. It scales at A for both at +10.

Shardix fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 2, 2014

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

redreader posted:

Holy poo poo, the dragons.

Biggest disappointment of Demon's Souls, hands down. You just couldn't properly fight those dragons, you had to shoot them down, which was time-consuming and super lame.

Seriously, so many games get dragons WRONG! When I see a dragon, I wanna fight fury personified, a giant goddamn monster which tries to bite and claw me to death while there's fire everywhere. I don't want to fight fire effects appearing in a circular arena while a wimpy lizard flies out of range. A dragon is giant and terrifying, so give me an appropriate fight!

DS1 got it right with Kalameet, probably the best dragon fight I've ever seen. He's big, he's mean, he moves around a lot, he breathes fire without feeling like a ranged fighter. It's tense. DS2 had the Guardian Dragon, which was nice too (except it really felt a little too stationary). The Ancient Dragon was... not really tense. He's super-slow, he's only deadly if you don't know which direction to run out of his AOE, and it never feels like he's relentlessly trying to kill you. He just STANDS AROUND most of the time! That fight definitely felt like the Ancient Dragon should've moved MUCH more, perhaps run around the arena, while seamlessly going over to the attack. The way it is, it felt like a visually impressive, unforgiving, yet mechanically brain-dead fight.

More Kalameets :mad:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

MoraleHazard posted:

The shield is worthless and just cosmetic.

The sword is a quality weapon and gets A/A scaling at +10 for STR and DEX so it's good for split builds.

And Sunlight Spear is just insane and well worth the 30 medals.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Tgent posted:

Is someone who knows something about game development able to shine some light on how this sort of thing might happen? Might they perhaps have had technical difficulties with getting the lighting engine working properly in all the areas? Or just decided that it wasn't worth the cost to have that quality of graphics throughout the game since only PC players would be able to see it.

Doesn't really bother me since I think the game looks pretty great anyway, but it'd be interesting to know.

Dave Lang was recently on the Bombcast when the subject got brought up, and said there was very little chance of a game developer going through the trouble of making a lighting engine and all the extras just to show off in pre-release videos. His opinion was that they made the game, then realized it was going to perform terribly, and had to scale it back at the very last minute. I'm inclined to agree. They're working with consoles that have been out for like a decade now. I'm hoping the PC version (and the very much in my mind confirmed PS4 version) looks better, but it's up in the air for now.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

limited posted:

I finally out-levelled Ruin Sentinel's enough on my Sorc enough to tank two hits and survive the platform after wiping out every single enemy between the fog door and the bonfire from sheer frustration. :toot: Had the NPC cleric and a guy rocking what looked like Havel's armour help me out. God it was so theraputic to just unload hell on the other two after so many tries. :black101:
Twohand the best shield you can when you come through the door if you have really low (sub-10) STR. I have successfully tanked them with a blue wooden shield/red parma shield twohanded with 3 str, and a large leather shield. The trick is judging if you have space to edge around the first guy on the platform to get around him and/or if you'll get knocked off the ledge if you block a hit, since the fall damage could kill you anyway.

If you're using Pilgrim Bellclaire, a redeye ring will help keep her alive for the length of the fight.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Boxn posted:

It's possible that he only knew of Blue invaders, and not Blue protectors, and the color tone is different too, Arbiters have a light blue shade, and protectors have a dark blue one. Did you explain it to him via messaging? Did you do your best to go after the Black Phantom at all? Or was the host bottlenecking your through a doorway?

I tried to explain with a message (I think I just put ally) but he didn't read, just repeatedly exhausted his stamina swinging me. The invader was above us and started throwing magic. I switched to my bow and tried to tank the magic, but with the dude flailing around I couldn't really, and got one shot off before died. Fish in a barrel basically.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Why is blinding bolt so bad? :negative:

I mean its sorta okay against incredibly large bosses, but against everything else its poo poo.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EC posted:

Dave Lang was recently on the Bombcast when the subject got brought up, and said there was very little chance of a game developer going through the trouble of making a lighting engine and all the extras just to show off in pre-release videos. His opinion was that they made the game, then realized it was going to perform terribly, and had to scale it back at the very last minute. I'm inclined to agree. They're working with consoles that have been out for like a decade now. I'm hoping the PC version (and the very much in my mind confirmed PS4 version) looks better, but it's up in the air for now.

To be honest with Aliens: Colonial Marines I'm pretty sure that makes sense when you think about it. No one was expecting that to be anything other than garbage. But with the super dark horse Dark Souls 2 it makes little sense that they wouldn't use that lighting engine sooner or later.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
So did I win the game?

I've killed Velstadt and talked to the Ancient Dragon and he gave me a thing.

Green Herald isn't giving me any new dialogue so without spoiling myself on what happens next I literally have no clue what I should be doing now.

Did I win? Is that it?

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

FrickenMoron posted:

Why is blinding bolt so bad? :negative:

I mean its sorta okay against incredibly large bosses, but against everything else its poo poo.

You and me both man. I was incredibly disappointed by that spell.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Moola posted:

So did I win the game?

I've killed Velstadt and talked to the Ancient Dragon and he gave me a thing.

Green Herald isn't giving me any new dialogue so without spoiling myself on what happens next I literally have no clue what I should be doing now.

Did I win? Is that it?

Read the item, check out some things from early game.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Thanks for the assistance. One other question: Is there a website that shows ideas for builds? My character is kind of mushy with a lot of levels put into everything except intelligence. I don't know it's a poo poo build or not.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Donald Kimball posted:

You and me both man. I was incredibly disappointed by that spell.

Yeah the spell that Gwyn "forbid" sure Straid whatever you say :rolleyes:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

FauxGateau posted:

Yeah the spell that Gwyn "forbid" sure Straid whatever you say :rolleyes:

He forbade it because he wanted no one to know how poo poo it was. :haw:

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Boxn posted:

He forbade it because he wanted no one to know how poo poo it was. :haw:

"Crafted in ancient times by the God of Sun, but later forbidden by the same deity. Was it to protect the world from hatred, or sorrow?"

Protecting us from sorrow, I guess.

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012
So it seems the latest trend in MM griefing is invading at Heide's, then suiciding to mess up the host's Soul Memory...

:psyduck:

I just don't understand the draw of this...

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Shingouryu posted:

So it seems the latest trend in MM griefing is invading at Heide's, then suiciding to mess up the host's Soul Memory...

To be a dick is all, like people need any other reason. I'm guessing you suicide and the amount of souls they get from you puts them in a much higher SM bracket?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Torquemadras posted:

Holy poo poo, the dragons.

Biggest disappointment of Demon's Souls, hands down. You just couldn't properly fight those dragons, you had to shoot them down, which was time-consuming and super lame.

Seriously, so many games get dragons WRONG! When I see a dragon, I wanna fight fury personified, a giant goddamn monster which tries to bite and claw me to death while there's fire everywhere. I don't want to fight fire effects appearing in a circular arena while a wimpy lizard flies out of range. A dragon is giant and terrifying, so give me an appropriate fight!

DS1 got it right with Kalameet, probably the best dragon fight I've ever seen. He's big, he's mean, he moves around a lot, he breathes fire without feeling like a ranged fighter. It's tense. DS2 had the Guardian Dragon, which was nice too (except it really felt a little too stationary). The Ancient Dragon was... not really tense. He's super-slow, he's only deadly if you don't know which direction to run out of his AOE, and it never feels like he's relentlessly trying to kill you. He just STANDS AROUND most of the time! That fight definitely felt like the Ancient Dragon should've moved MUCH more, perhaps run around the arena, while seamlessly going over to the attack. The way it is, it felt like a visually impressive, unforgiving, yet mechanically brain-dead fight.

More Kalameets :mad:

Have you played Dragons Dogma? You def should if you haven't already. It's a little slow to get going and has horrendous performance issues but I consider it even better then the souls series, especially if you play it on hard.

The Dragons in the game are hardcore, as well as doing all the usual things Dragons do, they cast the highest level magic, and will possess your allies to fight against you. Oh also they sometimes like to fight in pairs.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tgent posted:

Is someone who knows something about game development able to shine some light on how this sort of thing might happen? Might they perhaps have had technical difficulties with getting the lighting engine working properly in all the areas? Or just decided that it wasn't worth the cost to have that quality of graphics throughout the game since only PC players would be able to see it.

Doesn't really bother me since I think the game looks pretty great anyway, but it'd be interesting to know.

It doesn't necessarily explain why the lighting changes are gone on the PC version, considering it's theoretically a different build to the consoles and shouldn't be bound to the limitations of the last gen consoles like Dark Souls II is, however From Software released a statement about the backlash when it reached high level press awareness.

They basically said that the lighting engine is gone simply because the game would run at an unplayable and inconsistent framerate on consoles. The framerate being so variable on the console versions we have is as good proof as any that the cut was a good choice for consoles.

I imagine that the PC verision will either have a form of that lighting engine, or it will be simply up-res'd so that the development team could focus on porting it to the PC and not have it be a terrible port while working with existing assets and not a separate set for PC. That said, there's no reason that they couldn't keep the original showing quality for PC. It's worth noting that Dark Souls 1 at 1920x1080 and above rendering resolution still looks absolutely sublime and Dark Souls 2 will benefit from that as well.

e: As a thought, it may have been causing some kind of memory leak that they had no time to fix in any real capacity so they just thought gently caress it.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 2, 2014

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
Finally had to have an honest stand-up fight with the Pursuer in the Smelter Demon room and like a lot of things in this game it was frustrating, then thrilling. I got drilled by his curse attack my first try, but the sword turning blue is a huge tell and it takes long enough that if you dodge you can sneak in an Estus chug. When he dashes at you, you can reliably dodge by rolling to your right. Watch for a follow-up combo, but then when he's done I spear poked him for minimal damage. Just had to wear him down.

I'm stubbornly sticking to the greatshield and spear thing (twin dragons and Heide Spear, +10 and +9). So far the Heide spear is better than the Winged Spear or regular Spear. Haven't tried out the Pike or the Silverblack yet. The Gargoyle's Bident kind of sucks and I don't have the Faith for the Dragonslayer Spear. It took me ages to find the large white soapstone, so I had tons of smooth and silky stones from using the small white soapstone, but those loving birds won't give up a Channeler's Trident. But if everything in the room needs to die and quickly? +10 Bastard Sword.

Bellbroing is pretty fun. Someone was wondering why Bellbros are so cordial with each other, I think it's because you get a Titanite Chunk either way. I haven't had to lift a finger for half of my victories. The only way I get cheesed is when a rapier user stunlocks me to death (I'm better at avoiding it now) or one time a pyromancer had a poisonous cloud waiting for me when I spawned.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Monomythian posted:

Have you played Dragons Dogma? You def should if you haven't already. It's a little slow to get going and has horrendous performance issues but I consider it even better then the souls series, especially if you play it on hard.

The Dragons in the game are hardcore, as well as doing all the usual things Dragons do, they cast the highest level magic, and will possess your allies to fight against you. Oh also they sometimes like to fight in pairs.

Dragon's Dogma is a fun game; always fun to jump on a large enemy, climb on it's back and stab it in the head. But the voice acting.... :psyduck:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Well, I certainly noticed the effect of killing ALL NPCS in Majula in NG+ when going to NG++. I'm getting invaded by bluebros everywhere now, just had to fend off two of them in Heide alone before I got to Dragon Rider. Like 6 bluebro invasions in Belfry Luna (on top of a gray bellbro invasion at once!)

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Aurain posted:

It doesn't necessarily explain why the lighting changes are gone on the PC version, considering it's theoretically a different build to the consoles and shouldn't be bound to the limitations of the last gen consoles like Dark Souls II is, however From Software released a statement about the backlash when it reached high level press awareness.

They basically said that the lighting engine is gone simply because the game would run at an unplayable and inconsistent framerate on consoles. The framerate being so variable on the console versions we have is as good proof as any that the cut was a good choice for consoles.

I imagine that the PC verision will either have a form of that lighting engine, or it will be simply up-res'd so that the development team could focus on porting it to the PC and not have it be a terrible port while working with existing assets and not a separate set for PC. That said, there's no reason that they couldn't keep the original showing quality for PC. It's worth noting that Dark Souls 1 at 1920x1080 and above rendering resolution still looks absolutely sublime and Dark Souls 2 will benefit from that as well.

How long did it take someone to fix Dark Souls on PC? 18 minutes after release? I could see something similar happening with DS2.

MoraleHazard posted:

Dragon's Dogma is a fun game; always fun to jump on a large enemy, climb on it's back and stab it in the head. But the voice acting.... :psyduck:

Goddamn pawns never shut the gently caress up is the main problem :V. If you can find it cheap DD is fairly fun but it really feels rough around the edges.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Monomythian posted:

Dragon's Dogma also has a hydra fight that's actually fun! You can climb it, jump from head to head, if it eats one of your party members you have to cut off the head that ate them to free them, it just owns.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tracula posted:

How long did it take someone to fix Dark Souls on PC? 18 minutes after release? I could see something similar happening with DS2

The lighting issue that is causing the grievance here is a whole different kettle of fish and the kind of thing that would take quite a bit longer to fix. I say this as a dumb rear end who could never do anything like this myself and as such am probably wrong in terms of strict details, but Dark Souls' problem was fixed by basically intercepting the renderer and telling it to do X instead of Y by a guy who does that kind of thing in a professional capacity.
Changing the lighting engine is going to take a lot more effort and is changing integral elements of the game. That being said if people care enough, I'm sure that they will be able to get something sorted and pretty promptly. I just wouldn't expect it within a hour or two of release because the problems aren't the same at all.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Shingouryu posted:

That's actually really funny.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Tracula posted:

How long did it take someone to fix Dark Souls on PC? 18 minutes after release? I could see something similar happening with DS2.

Goddamn pawns never shut the gently caress up is the main problem :V. If you can find it cheap DD is fairly fun but it really feels rough around the edges.

The pawns not shutting up is pretty bad, but the fact that everyone seems to speak some weird rear end form* of English just puts it over the "so bad it's funny" line for me when it comes to the voice acting.

*I'm not an expert on language so maybe they're speaking a dialect that actually existed somewhere at some point in time but either way I find it funny.

Anyway, back to Dark Souls 2, I'm really glad the boss of Shrine of Amana was fairly easy, because nothing else about that area was :mad:
Same with Black Gulch, I didn't know how the hell to deal with that area so I just ended up sprinting past everything to the boss door. Thankfully it wasn't a very long area and I beat the boss in one try, so that was nice.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

My calibrations just updated (ps3). Does anyone know what this really means or if it has any kind of noticeable effect on gameplay? It doesnt feel any different so far.

Edit I can't spell

Unexpected Raw Anime fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Pretty sure DS1 was fixed before the game even came out. But I'm highly sceptical that the PC version is going to look like the pre-release demos. It's just going to have higher resulution, better textures and higher FPS. That might be enough for me really.

• Locked thread