Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

You forgot the grey lizard men.

They're too busy hooning around in their new 777.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

Terrible Robot posted:

They're too busy hooning around in their new 777.

Has anyone checked Mount Shasta?!?! You can't trust the gay Lemurian agenda.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I dont get these jokes.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Cleaned up the surfaces on the tranny cover and just RTVed it instead of trying to find a gasket since its so non-critical.

Put the floor back in and the parking brake and PTO levers back on.

Then I started prepping the intake and exhaust manifolds. I broke 2 studs off in the exhaust so that went to the machine shop to get them out cause gently caress loving with those on my own time. Got the intake off though and started on it in the sand blaster which was being a giant bitch so I gave up and used my wire wheel.

Cleaned and wire-wheeled

Painted

The hose for the gun in the sand blaster came off last night while my compressor was still hooked up and it ran all night. I'm usually good about not keeping anything hooked up to it for that reason. It was about 1000 degrees this morning :( I hope I didnt kill it too much and the power bill is going to suck next month with that 5hp motor running all night :(

I also got some better pictures of the engine since the auto focus is failing on my point and shoot. Guess it had too many rallycross trips bolted to the front of the Forester.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I lost the thermostat at some point so I brought the housing to the parts store and had them find one that fit in the hole and turns out a Honda one fits. I also had to make my own gasket since the kit didn't come with one for some reason. I also got the tap for the vacuum wiper all cleaned up and put back into the intake.

I took the voltage regulator apart to see what kind of condition it was in and it looks like it did in 1956

The outside, not so much

I didnt go crazy on it because this truck is going to need to be rewired soon anyway and I'll deal with the electrical stuff at that time. For now I'm going to keep 3 extinguishers in the truck and unhook the battery whenever Im not using it.

Back on the firewall with new grommets to protect the scary old wiring

Got the shifter and the rest of the floor back in and I did sit on the floor and play with the shifter making engine sounds

Currently I'm trying to figure out the radiator fitment. Seems like its right but the bottom outlet is hitting the steering box

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Looks great! Will you be doing any modernizing of it?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Thanks! Not yet, everything is still original right now. When I rewire it I'll use rubber coated wiring with a cloth case so it looks original and probably change it to 12 volt negative ground but those are the only plans I have for modernizing it so far.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I'm still waiting on the exhaust manifold so we messed with the flathead a little bit yesterday but first, CORN CHIPS

Painted the aluminum 4 barrel intake for the flatty

Bored .125 over

Chased all the threads and put the head studs in

More Corn Chips

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I got the exhaust manifold back today. They had to helicoil the threads but its ready to go so I painted it

Two coats later

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Got an idea that we are working on for the radiator

Then I got the intake and exhaust manifolds put on today

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Corn Chips!!!

Ive got some pretty bad "while youre in there syndrome" so I painted the exhaust pipe

Got the carburetor installed, plumbed and attached to the go pedal

Points in and adjusted, waiting on the rest of the parts in the mail

The primitive rocker arms. I think they were made on an anvil with a hammer

Battery and cables installed

I started filling it with oil today by pouring it all over the valvetrain and filling the oil filter. Hopefully I'll get some parts in the mail tomorrow and get the old girl running soon.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Ive got oil pressure all the way to the rockers right now. Just waiting on a package from UPS.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Getting so close. I got it to fire for about 2 seconds a few times but there is something wrong with the starter. It turns really slow so I took it all apart and cleaned every connection and greased the bearings again. It worked a lot better for a little while today but then something bad happened and it started catching on fire so I gave up. I'm going to bring it to a professional on Monday.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I love what you did to the radiator!

Is the solenoid relatively new on your starter?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Thanks! The radiator was my uncles idea and doing, hes been working on the truck with me a lot.

Its the original starter. All I did was take it apart and paint it and then this time I took it all apart again and cleaned every surface that electrons would move through, the brushes and commutator and re greased the bushings. Its still drawing too much current though and I think I ruined the solenoid by overheating it. I was doing the 15 seconds/2 minute rest but that probably only works when everything is working top notch.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Cool radiator! Do you have to use special paint?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Nah we just used tractor and implement paint that I had lying around I was using for stuff on the truck. Hopefully it sticks to the aluminum and doesn't mind the heat too much.

It looks like I can get the solenoid from NAPA but its almost $100 bucks and I would be mad at myself if I ruined it being impatient so the starter goes to an old timer electrical stuff rebuilder on Monday. He did my friends generator changing it to 12 volts for $100, had it ready the next day and even painted it.

I just noticed this thread is gold, you guys are the best :3:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Awesome truck and cat pics so far.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Fart Pipe posted:

Nah we just used tractor and implement paint that I had lying around I was using for stuff on the truck. Hopefully it sticks to the aluminum and doesn't mind the heat too much.

It looks like I can get the solenoid from NAPA but its almost $100 bucks and I would be mad at myself if I ruined it being impatient so the starter goes to an old timer electrical stuff rebuilder on Monday. He did my friends generator changing it to 12 volts for $100, had it ready the next day and even painted it.

I just noticed this thread is gold, you guys are the best :3:

Does this older timer electrical stuff rebuilder have a shop? I'm looking to get the Divco's generator rebuild & converted to 12v so that guy seems like exactly who I'm looking for.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Mooecow posted:

Does this older timer electrical stuff rebuilder have a shop? I'm looking to get the Divco's generator rebuild & converted to 12v so that guy seems like exactly who I'm looking for.

Its Bernies Electrical on main street in East Hartford. I guess hes highly recommend on the hamb also.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I've been sending the cat pictures to a mildly cat obsessed friend whilst enjoying the truck pictures myself.

quote:

Aaaaaaaaaah I love Corn Chips so much!

I love how chill Corn Chips looks. I would sooooooo be a warm lap for that dope-rear end kitty.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Corn Chips is an awesome lap cat. She loves affection probably because she was a stray for so long. My girlfriend hates nascar so I go out to the shop on Sundays to watch it but its really an excuse to go out there and pet Corn Chips for 3 hours.

I'm still having cranking problems with the truck after getting the starter rebuilt. The only other 6 volt thing I'm familiar with is my buddys 48 Ford but it always cranked just fine. After reading some IH forums and conferring with two smart electrical engineers, shout out to kastein for one, it seems that my battery cables are too small. I just got regular 4 gauge ones from the parts store and the longer one that goes to the starter definitely gets hot. My guess is that this starter may draw as much as 300amps and with some rough calculations in his head my great uncle figured that the voltage may be dropping to almost 3 volts with those cables and that current. Not only that but the current draw goes through the roof as the starter motor goes slower and slower. People on the oldihc forum were recommending 1/0 or 2/00 gauge. I couldn't find that size yet but I was able to get some 1 gauge ones at tractor supply today. Gonna put the battery back on the charger and give them a shot later today.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, even assuming perfect zero-ohm bolted and crimped connections my numbers were coming up with around 100 watts dissipated in the positive feed cable alone. Just plain too much for 4ga.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Negative feed cable ;) but yea the positive is half as long so is it linear and that one would be 50?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Should be. Either way, that's wayyyy too much! I'd stick with 0 gauge or better personally, and make absolutely sure the connections are clean and tight. One crummy bolted connection or battery lug can have more resistance in it than in the cables combined... oh, and hot wires and connections don't conduct as well as cold ones, so when the wires start heating up and the motor starts slowing down (and drawing, or trying to draw, even more current) things snowball pretty quickly.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea Ill go with 0 eventually since these cables are both black anyway. One thing is for sure that the connections are clean, oh man are they clean after all this trouble.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, that's a big downside to 6V - you've got to do twice the current to do the same amount of work versus 12V, which means you need much larger cables.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea, Im just smart enough to know how electricity works when it comes to the basics and I knew it was double the current but I wasnt smart enough to know the math for the physical parts of it (or to ask my great uncle and kastein first).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

For cable sizing I honestly usually go with gut instinct and experience first, then run the numbers if cost/importance/weight dictate it. That usually means I spec a size or two over what's required, my whole house is done with 12ga even though some circuits are 15 amp and I typically use 12ga and 10ga for automotive lighting.

Chrysler headlight wiring harnesses scarred me. I've seen some poo poo, man. :stonk: (or haven't seen a goddamn thing, at least while driving them at night.)

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Ive got great cranking speed with the 1g cables. It also ran shittily for about 10-15 seconds. The old girl might live again pretty soon but it takes so long for the battery to recover. The carb flooded when it ran for that long so I lowered the float level and fixed that problem. Its getting close though, so close.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

This is my pain, this is the longest it has run so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NSza36q-JY

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fart Pipe posted:

This is my pain, this is the longest it has run so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NSza36q-JY

It's so frustrating to watch! It's just not pushing enough power to keep running? Late spark? No fuel? Air leak?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

StormDrain posted:

It's so frustrating to watch! It's just not pushing enough power to keep running? Late spark? No fuel? Air leak?

I'd try retarding the timing first. An engine will run at idle with massively retarded timing, too far advanced though and it'll wanna backfire and spin the engine backwards. The puff out the carb made me think it was too advanced. Good news is it looked loaded with fuel. So you've got that going for ya

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

trouser chili posted:

I'd try retarding the timing first. An engine will run at idle with massively retarded timing, too far advanced though and it'll wanna backfire and spin the engine backwards. The puff out the carb made me think it was too advanced.

This. It may even crank a little easier if you retard it a bit.

It wants to live. It wants to liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive. :black101:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Does the carb have an accel pump? Seems to run when you keep messing with the throttle. Seems like the idle circuit is not working or the screw misadjusted if that's the case.

Could be the float level being too low now.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

trouser chili posted:

I'd try retarding the timing first. An engine will run at idle with massively retarded timing, too far advanced though and it'll wanna backfire and spin the engine backwards. The puff out the carb made me think it was too advanced. Good news is it looked loaded with fuel. So you've got that going for ya

Yeah, I was thinking timing as well. Also check firing order as well.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I was thinking last night that maybe I have the firing order 180 degrees out. I changed the timing a bunch of times and thats the only place it would run at all like it did in the video. It has fuel for sure and it seemed like it was running like the main jet was clogged so I blew threw it with carb cleaner and it was fine.

Another possibility is its the condenser. I got an empty box on Friday so I put the old one back in. I'm going to get another one today and try that too.

If none of those work I'll take the carb off and check everything again but I know I was careful when I rebuilt it to try to eliminate as many problems as I could when I got to this point. Not ruling it out though.

It has to be something stupid, I always overlook something stupid.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I really don't think it's a fuel issue. The mixture that poofed out the carb looked too fat to have a fuel issue, unless somehow you've got things too rich. Next time you try cranking, pull a plug after and see if it's wet. Wet plugs would indicate flooding, too much fuel. Typically though you don't get sporadic fits of running in that situation. You just get nothing same as a no-spark condition.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Since you suspect it is the condensor, what capacitance is it? It is just a capacitor with a fairly high temp rating and medium voltage rating, if you don't have one on hand in your parts pile I will bring one down tomorrow night probably. I would SWAG that it is a 0.47uF or so, most condensers I have seen are around that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea I think its just a capacitor but I have no idea what size. The physical size is important though because its under the distributor cap. NAPA should be able to get me one by this afternoon but I'll let you know.