Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Margaret Thatcher
Jan 2, 2013

by Cowcaster

Spangly A posted:

I'm pretty sure you haven't grasped what's actually happening lad. We're not neoliberal because the EU tells us, and it's patently clear they're pulling us to the left at this point.

They're pulling us to the left on social/environmental policy in terms of climate change, safety regulations, human rights and all of the other progressive laws here to protect us. However, the economic policy of the EU is dominated by an IMF-style culture that demands deficit reduction, labour flexibility and a small public sector with a bloated private sector.

The worst of this doctrine is felt in Greece and the other struggling Mediterranean states, where austerity is causing widespread poverty and suffering because EU bankers impose strict neoliberal policies to countries that build up too much debt.

The UK has a very neoliberal consensus, regardless of whether we're in the European Union or not, but it will be near impossible to break the mould while we remain a part of an institution that is founded on the very principals of a free market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

There's definitely points to be made/explored about what happens to traditional working class demographics psychographics or whatevs when they begin to feel disenfranchised and disengaged from a society that no longer relies on their hard graft.

That doesn't mean I automatically support this tool and his tool-shed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgzMFOwrjSg

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Spangly A posted:

It is. It didn't come across well, though. I'm pretty sure at the time it was self-depricating, or I would hope so.

Can't wait to see how many people think Farage was dead sexy in this debate, that's more what we want to hear of.

He did suavely charm a tittering old lady in the manner of 'I needed to speak to your mother.. oh, really, you can't be old enough!'. Still, bet he's feeling pretty sexy now, and CLegg is getting booted round Cameron's office.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Margaret Thatcher posted:

They're pulling us to the left on social/environmental policy in terms of climate change, safety regulations, human rights and all of the other progressive laws here to protect us. However, the economic policy of the EU is dominated by an IMF-style culture that demands deficit reduction, labour flexibility and a small public sector with a bloated private sector.

The IMF has actually woken up, recently. Even Great Satan Greenspan no longer believes in rational actors. Do you honestly think we'd stop being neoliberal if we left the EU?

It's got maybe a decade left, Spain and Italy will kill it before it would've died anyway due to the inherent problems in the Euro. We cannot afford to be out of it for that period.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the degree of neoliberalism demanded by the EU is minor compared to the degree of neoliberalism enforced by the other common market more commonly known as "the United States", so predictions of its demise seem a tad overconfident

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

ronya posted:

the degree of neoliberalism demanded by the EU is minor compared to the degree of neoliberalism enforced by the other common market more commonly known as "the United States", so predictions of its demise seem a tad overconfident

Predictions of the demise of the EU have absolutely nothing to do with neoliberalism.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Margaret Thatcher posted:

The worst of this doctrine is felt in Greece and the other struggling Mediterranean states, where austerity is causing widespread poverty and suffering because EU bankers impose strict neoliberal policies to countries that build up too much debt.

The UK has a very neoliberal consensus, regardless of whether we're in the European Union or not, but it will be near impossible to break the mould while we remain a part of an institution that is founded on the very principals of a free market.

Like Spangly says, the UK (and EMU) are actually beyond the IMF at this point, at least partly because austerity isn't actually about protecting and strengthening the countries it's being imposed on. It's also the same people championing an EU referendum. Wealthy Tories and ex-hedge fund people like Farage aren't pushing for an EU exit because they're against austerity and an 'open for business' approach to the economy.

Of course what we're being set up for here is a 'compromise' where some people want to stay in, some people want to stay out, and amazing pragmatic diplomats like Call Me Dave organise a renegotiation of the treaty which removes all the ~fundamentally bad stuff~ the EU forces us to do - things like regulation, worker rights and protections, human rights and so on. We're really unlikely to actually leave the EU, because it provides too many economic benefits. We'll just end up with the worst of both worlds

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Private Speech posted:

I've had landlords ask for references before, but then I'm not british so that might be a part of it.

I can post most of it (it was an email not a physical letter) on pastebin, there aren't really any private details in there: pastebin.
It doesn't even make much sense since correspondence presumably implies writing.

Edit: It is in fact through an agency, but they own most of their flats so it's a bit iffy.
Edit 2: I'll just send them a copy of the inspection sheet and see what they say, thanks. Maybe they hope I lost it.

Remember due to our postal rule convention, sending the letter counts as receiving it for a lot of contract disputes, so 'oh it was lost in the post' is just going to make a mediator laugh.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Lord Twisted posted:

Remember due to our postal rule convention, sending the letter counts as receiving it for a lot of contract disputes, so 'oh it was lost in the post' is just going to make a mediator laugh.

This really needs to be scrapped because I'm pretty sure it isn't just my house that receives around half of parcels purchased.

As for our OP, I'm sure I can out-weird it, with a vague political tie-in. You will soon appreciate my pun.

I'm really not sure how to comment.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Spangly A posted:

This really needs to be scrapped because I'm pretty sure it isn't just my house that receives around half of parcels purchased.

As for our OP, I'm sure I can out-weird it, with a vague political tie-in. You will soon appreciate my pun.

I'm really not sure how to comment.

Just be glad you got out in the morning, and didn't notice the corpse under the duvet.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

He is a tender and sensitive lover despite what the rags may say.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Seaside Loafer posted:

He is a tender and sensitive lover despite what the rags may say.

There is no way to tell if your kidding. You are capable of anything.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I'm no huge lover of white jeans but I wouldn't call them rags.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
A homicidal HIV-positive gay nazi crystal meth-smoking veterinarian with a penchant for rough sex? What a nice start to the day.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
gently caress all landlords, the fees are absurd.

(I have moved out, got my own place for a princely £725 a month for a tiny little 1 bed flat lol welcome to the south east but still cheaper than London)

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Bozza posted:

gently caress all landlords, the fees are absurd.

(I have moved out, got my own place for a princely £725 a month for a tiny little 1 bed flat lol welcome to the south east but still cheaper than London)

where the living gently caress are you living outside of London for that?

LemonDrizzle posted:

A homicidal HIV-positive gay nazi crystal meth-smoking veterinarian with a penchant for rough sex? What a nice start to the day.

we all have bad days.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Fluo posted:

Let them be pissed off. It's not smoke anyway, I don't see them getting mad at people using nicotine gum in pubs. It's a form of quitting smoking, the gum gives a lot of people acidy stomachs / acid reflux. The patches hard annoying, dont feel like they're working and doesn't give that zap you kind of looking for to help quit.

That may be the case for you but, for me, patches worked precisely because they didn't give any 'zap' or instant gratification - just a steady cessation of the need for nicotine. If they don't seem to be working it's probably because they're unders-trength.

If e-cigs help people quit real fags that's great, but they'll do so by replacing one habit with another, rather than breaking a habit, which leaves me dubious as to how effective they are long term.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Any advice or useful knowledge on meetings with politicians? My friend's got a meeting with constituency representative and Welsh Gov Minister for Health and Social Services Mark Drakeford about mental health services. What can she expect?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lt. Danger posted:

Any advice or useful knowledge on meetings with politicians? My friend's got a meeting with constituency representative and Welsh Gov Minister for Health and Social Services Mark Drakeford about mental health services. What can she expect?

Fuctifino fell in love with his Tory MP and hasn't been heard from since.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

Spangly A posted:

where the living gently caress are you living outside of London for that?

Reading, it's expensive as gently caress.

E: a room in a shared house with 4 others is £400+ these days wot a jk m8

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Bozza posted:

Reading, it's expensive as gently caress.

E: a room in a shared house with 4 others is £400+ these days wot a jk m8

I pay that in Canters for the shared but you'd get a nice 2 or 3 bed to yourself for £750. Is... is it peaking?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Pissflaps posted:

That may be the case for you but, for me, patches worked precisely because they didn't give any 'zap' or instant gratification - just a steady cessation of the need for nicotine. If they don't seem to be working it's probably because they're unders-trength.

If e-cigs help people quit real fags that's great, but they'll do so by replacing one habit with another, rather than breaking a habit, which leaves me dubious as to how effective they are long term.

I don't smoke and have no desire to do so but I'm not sure if it really matters if e-cigs help you quit. It is surely benefit enough that addicts get their fix in way that is much safer for their health and the health of those around them?

Life is unpleasant and almost certain to get much more so for the vast majority of people. If e-cigs make life a bit more bearable without doing much damage to the user's health I'm all for them.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I don't smoke and have no desire to do so but I'm not sure if it really matters if e-cigs help you quit.

It does if you're proposing they are a way of quitting smoking.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Pissflaps posted:

It does if you're proposing they are a way of quitting smoking.
Do they have to be? If they remove the public health problems caused by smoking, they're just a minor and relatively innocuous vice.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

LemonDrizzle posted:

Do they have to be? If they remove the public health problems caused by smoking, they're just a minor and relatively innocuous vice.

No not at all, i'm just picking up on that one aspect of their use.

My thoughts on it are, while i get that there is no proven harmful effects from 'passive vaping', I was always in favour of the smoking ban, even as a smoker myself. Allowing e-cigarette use in its place just seems like a step backwards.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Apr 3, 2014

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Yeah, this is the thing with them, nicotine as an addiction isn't a huge problem for society to deal with, it's relatively harmless compared to alcohol / opiates so it's not a health issue. The problem and the thing that's bad about smoking is the tobacco, so anything that eliminates that as an option from the "I would like some nicotine" demand is a good thing.

Now let's argue about the amount of e-waste generated by one use throw away e-fags :unsmigghh:

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Pissflaps posted:

My thoughts on it are, while i get that there is no proven harmful effects from 'passive vaping', I was always in favour of the smoking ban, even as a smoker myself. Allowing e-cigarette use in its place just seems like a step backwards.

I'm kind of in agreement here, as a vaper. It shouldn't be allowed in restaurants or cinemas or hospitals and the like, where you can't go somewhere else if it's annoying you, but then I'd like phones banned from those places as well for the same reason. They are however, not like tobacco at all, they produce a not-horrible smell and the vapour dissipates into the atmosphere in very little time, they're less harmful than spray air fresheners to others.

Again it's the pharma lobby, not tobacco, that is pushing for the ban for reasons entirely to do with profit and nothing to do with public health.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Now let's argue about the amount of e-waste generated by one use throw away e-fags :unsmigghh:

Those things should be banned, or at least allow refillables as much exposure. The throwaways are the thing that the tobacco industry are jumping all over.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Betjeman posted:

I'm kind of in agreement here, as a vaper. It shouldn't be allowed in restaurants or cinemas or hospitals and the like, where you can't go somewhere else if it's annoying you, but then I'd like phones banned from those places as well for the same reason.

phones are banned by cinemas.
and hospitals do have restrictions on where you can use them.
that just leaves restaurants, and i don't even agree with you there. why do you care if someone at a different table is using their phone? doesn't affect you. on the other hand if your dinner partner is using their phone that is potentially a bit rude but that is just a matter between the pair of you.

e-cigs are banned indoors across campus here. because management don't want security having to waste their time checking whether people are having a crafty fag or sucking on a pipe that's deliberately designed to look like a fag.
i can't argue with that.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Cerv posted:

phones are banned by cinemas.
and hospitals do have restrictions on where you can use them.
that just leaves restaurants, and i don't even agree with you there. why do you care if someone at a different table is using their phone? doesn't affect you. on the other hand if your dinner partner is using their phone that is potentially a bit rude but that is just a matter between the pair of you.

That was a bit of a snide aside, the point was restricting their use is more of an ambience thing rather than a health thing as far as I'm concerned.

Cerv posted:

e-cigs are banned indoors across campus here. because management don't want security having to waste their time checking whether people are having a crafty fag or sucking on a pipe that's deliberately designed to look like a fag.
i can't argue with that.

Neither can I, I really don't get what the point of e-cigs that look like real cigs is other than to promote actual smoking. Ban them for that reason too!

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Betjeman posted:

Neither can I, I really don't get what the point of e-cigs that look like real cigs is other than to promote actual smoking. Ban them for that reason too!

The problem there is the pharma and tobacco lobbies would push for e-cigs being mandated to look as silly as possible to protect their bottom line the children.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Tangentially related, I'd like to see energy drinks have an age limit for their sale. Maybe 16 or even 18.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

ReV VAdAUL posted:

The problem there is the pharma and tobacco lobbies would push for e-cigs being mandated to look as silly as possible to protect their bottom line the children.

They kind of already do though. :shepface:

Thats not mine but its getting there (on looking silly). If I hear another Dr Who related joke about it I'm going to scream.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 3, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So what have the Tories been like on women's issues? I'm assuming 'terrible', but it would be nice to have a few specifics.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
They look like little flutes. Everytime I see a person smoking one I think they are playing a tune

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

ReV VAdAUL posted:

The tobacco lobby is pushing for a greater takeup of e-cigs, but on their own terms. So, 10ml max container size, 2ml max tank size, and maximum nicotine content all fit into their model of high turnover, disposable product. They don't want them banned, just limited from an innovation standpoint, so they can't be caught off guard again.

This is a bad thing, but it's not the only danger to the market. Pharmaceutical industry HATES e-cigs, they don't own the patents and they eat into their NRT share with no way for them to manouevre because they are all out on the "ban this evil poo poo" wagon. Don't mind that the vaporisers they sell are more or less doing exactly the same thing as e-cigs, they contain the same ingredients, except they don't produce a cloud. So they're perceived to be healthier somehow, presumably because they're regulated, but then that's an argument for proper regulation not for a ban.

I went on the Nicorette site and the first question it asks is, "are you looking to quit or cut down?" And if you say cut down they offer you product anyway. So the suggestion that NRT is marketed only as a cessation device and not as an alternative is bullshit.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Where can I watch the Clegg/Farage debate in full? Everywhere I've looked is just highlights.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Poverty? What poverty?

quote:

Glasgow’s iconic skyscraping symbols of the past – the Red Road tower blocks - will be demolished LIVE during the Opening Ceremony of the Commonwealth Games; a bold and dramatic statement of intent from a city focused on regeneration and a positive future for its people.

http://www.glasgow2014.com/press-releases/dramatic-end-red-road-creates-bold-symbol-games-celebration-city-rebirth

I cant imagine anyone will find this rather crass and insensitive.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Probably not tbh.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

PiCroft posted:

Where can I watch the Clegg/Farage debate in full? Everywhere I've looked is just highlights.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0401ht2/The_European_Union_In_or_Out/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Much appreciated.

• Locked thread