Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

jassi007 posted:

I'm pretty sure you're being hyperbolic but shocklands and cryptic command will never be banned. I like the sculpted format, it makes it easier for rogue brews imo because you have some clear definitions of what the format is about.

Slightly, but if the cards I wanted to play in the past got banned, then it seems fair that more will in the future.

I also disagree that a sculpted format is better for rogue decks. I think that there is much more room for rogues in legacy, because there are so many things to prepare for that you can win with anything off the beaten path because people will not know how to combat them given the depth of the card pool. Having a clear definition of the format is boring, I'd much rather play against the unknown every match than have a plan for everything that can show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

L0cke17 posted:

I think that there is much more room for rogues in legacy,

This is the best rogue win ever

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/deck/1213

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

That deck got even better recently. Stormbreath Dragon having pro-white is insane against most decks in Legacy. A friend of mine played that a lot. He ran no Thundermaws, and ran Godo, Bandit Warlord with 2 batterskulls and a SofI to offset the life loss from ancient tomb and get through Interesting-Game-State Nemesis.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

I've seen the Hanweir Watchkeep werewolf being used in just regular Dragon Stompy too. It was really weird, but eh - whatever does the trick. It carries a Jitte or a Sword just as well as anything else.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Ramos posted:

Sudden change in direction:

I've been thinking of getting into Vintage, but it's so surreal and strange to me, compared to the other formats. Is there any good guide to getting started on it in terms of common strategies and staples?

Don't forget http://www.themanadrain.com it may not be what it once was, but their still is a community their.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Jenx posted:

I've seen the Hanweir Watchkeep werewolf being used in just regular Dragon Stompy too. It was really weird, but eh - whatever does the trick. It carries a Jitte or a Sword just as well as anything else.

The thing is that a lot of legacy creatures are one toughness, so it can hold off attackers, handle decently large damagers with its 5 toughness, and will later be a 5/5, which is really big in Legacy.

Not that it's good, but it makes sense.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

There's also a sweet version of that kind of deck (Sol Lands/Chalice/3 ball/Blood Moons) that runs Moggcatcher + Siege Gang Commander, Krenko, and Goblin Settler.

And, respectfully, this this is the best rogue winner

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

There's also a sweet version of that kind of deck (Sol Lands/Chalice/3 ball/Blood Moons) that runs Moggcatcher + Siege Gang Commander, Krenko, and Goblin Settler.

And, respectfully, this this is the best rogue winner

You're both wrong, this is the best rogue winner. Go play it for a week and try and tell me its not more entertaining than either of those other two.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

What is going on in that list?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Snacksmaniac posted:

What is going on in that list?

Everything you could possibly want. Its the legacy equivalent of Pod, but without pod or a combo kill. The combo is Tradewind Rider away all relevant permanents, beat them to death with tiny men.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

L0cke17 posted:

Everything you could possibly want. Its the legacy equivalent of Pod, but without pod or a combo kill. The combo is Tradewind Rider away all relevant permanents, beat them to death with tiny men.

I'm running to put this together as fast as I can.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
Back to the budget question for modern. I also started looking at a budget infect build. Minus the hierarchs and fetch lands I can build it for around $120. The idea of a T2 kill with poison counters just seems too awesome to not use it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

jhorphear posted:

Back to the budget question for modern. I also started looking at a budget infect build. Minus the hierarchs and fetch lands I can build it for around $120. The idea of a T2 kill with poison counters just seems too awesome to not use it.

I suppose you can live without the fetch lands but I'm pretty sure trying to play infect without hierarchs is tantamount to lunacy.

And you probably need fetches for Groundswell.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
You have no idea how much it tickles me that in the year 2014, people are still putting together Tradewind locks :yaycloud:

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
It looks like that's a pre-RTR list, but Prophet of Kruphix seems like a pretty big upgrade over Murkfiend Liege in that deck. Also, I don't get the Bayou, as I don't see anything that can make use of black mana.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

It looks like that's a pre-RTR list, but Prophet of Kruphix seems like a pretty big upgrade over Murkfiend Liege in that deck. Also, I don't get the Bayou, as I don't see anything that can make use of black mana.

Merieke ri Berit.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Murkfield pumps the team!

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

JerryLee posted:

You have no idea how much it tickles me that in the year 2014, people are still putting together Tradewind locks :yaycloud:

Not exactly Eternal, but LSVs last cube draft showed him putting together a UG list that featured a Tradewind Riders lock. It was amazing

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

That was absolutely one of the sickest Cube decks I've ever seen (of course right after the Bob, Emrakul, Necromancy, Lightning Grieves combo).

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Fox of Stone posted:

I wish a store near me had legacy proxy events. I wouldn't even bring my real decks. I could play any deck in legacy besides lands and it'd be fantastic to be able to play with messy proxies in sleeves and not have to worry about carrying a semester's worth of cardboard cash on you.

My local store does legacy proxy and it's great. Every week I get to bring a new deck, responding to whatever the meta of the last week was. The people with real legacy decks love it because they have a regular event to play in, and they generally get to play against full tournament decks instead of watered down stuff.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Snacksmaniac posted:

I'm running to put this together as fast as I can.

I played it a couple times, with a few differences the second time. Then I ran zero negate, instead playing 2 Daze, 2 Counterspell. Also my meta is insanely warped towards Miracles so I ran 2 Teegs mainboard, and 1 Envelop, 2 Swan Song, 2 Flusterstorm in the board.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Fox of Stone posted:

it'd be fantastic to be able to play with messy proxies in sleeves and not have to worry about carrying a semester's worth of cardboard cash on you.
Someone locally Pepsi spilled on their legacy deck, and instantly the deck lost roughly $500 in value due to small soda stains on the tops of the cards. I totally get why being able to leave nice things at home for small, rink-a-dink tournaments like FNM or Friday Night Proxy would be appealing. Actually, I might be interested in proxying up some Legacy decks now.

Anyone got any recommendations? Both for decks and for proxy-making supplies.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Veyrall posted:

For supplies I think just magiccards.info, a printer, basic land and sleeves.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

Veyrall posted:

Someone locally Pepsi spilled on their legacy deck, and instantly the deck lost roughly $500 in value due to small soda stains on the tops of the cards. I totally get why being able to leave nice things at home for small, rink-a-dink tournaments like FNM or Friday Night Proxy would be appealing. Actually, I might be interested in proxying up some Legacy decks now.

For decks I recommend dredge, with LED and stuff. It's a ton of fun.

Or if you really want to play fair, patriot delver, which is my other favorite.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Veyrall posted:

Use perfect fit sleeves, people. This won't happen in perfect fits.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

What a Judas posted:

Use perfect fit sleeves, people. This won't happen in perfect fits.

1000 times this. I have all my Modern decks double sleeved this way. Can't recommend it enough.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

mailorder bees! posted:

For decks I recommend dredge, with LED and stuff. It's a ton of fun.

Or if you really want to play fair, patriot delver, which is my other favorite.

Most fair deck in the format is Miracles. Full price for every spell, instant speed 4/4 Angels, Counterbalance. Perfectly fair by legacy standards.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

L0cke17 posted:

Most fair deck in the format is Miracles. Full price for every spell, instant speed 4/4 Angels, Counterbalance. Perfectly fair by legacy standards.

Also Top, which totally isn't one of the most broken cards ever printed. And playing it makes you an even worse person than Esper Control standard players. ;)

I plan on finishing something close enough to Shardless BUG today after I trade some stuff in for the Wastelands. So far it seems pretty fun.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

L0cke17 posted:

You don't consider Death and Taxes a fair deck? I mean, its all hate bears and wasteland.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Why did Maverick stop being viable, by the way?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Elyv posted:

Why did Maverick stop being viable, by the way?

It can't handle TNN and the delver decks had good game against it anyway.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Madmarker posted:

You don't consider Death and Taxes a fair deck? I mean, its all hate bears and wasteland.

I think that 'fair' and 'unfair' as applied to legacy are almost meaningless. Every deck is so far down the 'unfair' axis, and anything 'fair' is just going to be unable to compete.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

L0cke17 posted:

I think that 'fair' and 'unfair' as applied to legacy are almost meaningless. Every deck is so far down the 'unfair' axis, and anything 'fair' is just going to be unable to compete.

Madmarker posted:

Look man Death and Taxes is a pretty 'unfair' deck because it attacks my lands and shuts down activated abilities and deck searching instead of letting me 'just play magic'. All I want to durdle and live in magic christmas land and play [name any legacy deck here] but Thalia and Wasteland and Port and Karakas and Revoker make the board completely 'non-interactive' for my deck.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Enchantress is the most fair legacy deck and look where it is now. i.e. the only card I have left from it is Moat for the sideboard of another deck.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The most fair deck in Legacy is High Tide because it needs like, 4 lands at least to function. And they're all even basics! None of this ridiculous dual land stuff.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The most fair deck is Breakfast Burrito because it wins or loses to a bunch of cards on turn 1 and then you get to go get lunch while everyone else spends an hour at turns.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The most fair deck is Goblins because Aether Vial is the fairest of cards.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Really the fairest is Aphrodite because that's the one to whom Paris gave the apple.

Incidentally, I'm fairly disappointed by the relative dearth (as opposed to outright lack) of Theros Block cards that have seen play in Legacy/Modern. I guess Cat King and Swan Song are the main two cards? Keeping the dream alive for an enchantress enabler in the enchantment block.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

suicidesteve posted:

The most fair deck is Breakfast Burrito because it wins or loses to a bunch of cards on turn 1 and then you get to go get lunch while everyone else spends an hour at turns.

I wish tournaments started earlier so I could play breakfast burrito while eating breakfast burrito and hanging with Xzibit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Zoness posted:

Keeping the dream alive for an enchantress enabler in the enchantment block.

What Modern Enchantment Control Prison really needs is better card draw, in a form that isn't susceptible to creature removal. This block is kind of lame for that deck, what with there not being any plain regular Enchantment cards to squeeze between the hate cards. The ideal thing to see in the Journey Into Nyx spoiler would be a white enchantment-creature version of Argothian Enchantress, with hexproof instead of shroud.

• Locked thread