Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Irish Joe posted:

I don't know where you're getting that, but Amazon only has the last two seasons and Redemption in HD in the US.

I don't know what to say, except I am getting it from my eyeballs, which I pointed at my television while watching some episodes of season 3 of the show 24 on both Netflix and Amazon Prime only two nights ago. Perhaps my TV is emanating some sort of Kasimir Effect-like force that is allowing me to watch streaming content from other dimensions? It's pretty new!

Edit: Well, get this gang: My eyes are stupid and wrong. Though, hey, maybe the other dimension thing? Either way, it's SD right now. Sorry!

Double edit: So it's been awhile now, and I still haven't gotten my comeuppance from Joe, which is making me nervous. I feel like he's waiting in the bushes outside my house to punch me in the dong and then run away cackling.

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Geekkake posted:

Double edit: So it's been awhile now, and I still haven't gotten my comeuppance from Joe, which is making me nervous. I feel like he's waiting in the bushes outside my house to punch me in the dong and then run away cackling.

Sometimes the sense of smug satisfaction that comes from knowing you're smarter than someone else is enough reward.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Season 1-3 are SD on Amazon. Seasons 4-8 are in HD when you view it through a connected device. On a PC they're just in SD. They used to be available in HD on the PC as well but when Amazon changed their setup a while back it changed that. I can watch them in HD just fine through the Amazon app on my TV but not in a browser. Hope that clears it up for you.

The interesting part is that while the Amazon app on my TV has 4-8 in HD, the Amazon app on my Blu-ray player only has 7-8 in HD. So I don't know why it's different on different platforms, but it is.

X-O fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 30, 2014

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

I've decided to re-watch season 3 along with season 8 (bizarre combo, I know). Jack has just returned Ramon to his brother, Hector. At this point Jack is still suffering from heroin withdrawal.

I remember how when I first saw this season, I absolutely hated Chase. But as it went on I grew to like him. And his sacrifice at the end is obviously a big plus.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The 24 game for the ps2 actually fleshes out a lot of shakier plot elements, including how Chase and Jack worked together. There's also closure to the conspiracy from season 2, they work in cameos for all the 24 favorites, and has freakin' Christian Kane as the bad guy.

It also has, I poo poo you not, an entire button dedicated to making Jack Bauer scream at his enemies. "Bauer! CTU!" "Drop it!" "I will SHOOT YOU"

Its not a great game, but its a great experience if you're a fan.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Narcissus1916 posted:

It also has, I poo poo you not, an entire button dedicated to making Jack Bauer scream at his enemies. "Bauer! CTU!" "Drop it!" "I will SHOOT YOU"

That is a button I would like to push.

Finished season 6. For all its weaknesses, it did have some moments. The nuke going off in the morning, the final fight vs. Fayed and his chain-hanging death, and then the finale on the oil rig with Phillip Bauer's demise were all pretty fun to watch.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
One thing I still find remarkable about season 2: It made a big point that if a nuclear bomb goes off in the ocean; people living in the nearby city are still pretty hosed anyway, with an increase in cancer rates, an unsafe port, and the loss of most natural ocean resources like fish. I'm assuming the writers did their homework, and it wasn't just an excuse to force a pilot to go down with the plane in the desert.

Movies like The Dark Knight Rises (with President Heller) ignored this. Batman also did it in Justice League Unlimited, which also ignored this. I'm sure a few other movies and TV shows ignored this as well.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

The 24 game for the ps2 actually fleshes out a lot of shakier plot elements, including how Chase and Jack worked together. There's also closure to the conspiracy from season 2, they work in cameos for all the 24 favorites, and has freakin' Christian Kane as the bad guy.

Its not a great game, but its a great experience if you're a fan.

I actually thought it was pretty fun when I played it, except for the parts where the view splits into TV style multi-frames. One especially annoying part I recall when the screen was split in half where one showed the normal gameplay screen and one was the view from a news chopper.

Also the game rewarded you for arresting people (which is what the yelling button was actually for, much like the SWAT games you disable people then yell at them) and gave you a higher score. That is the opposite of what should give you a higher score, 24: The Game :colbert:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Kibayasu posted:

Also the game rewarded you for arresting people (which is what the yelling button was actually for, much like the SWAT games you disable people then yell at them) and gave you a higher score. That is the opposite of what should give you a higher score, 24: The Game :colbert:

Yeah, and its worth noting how early in the show's run the game was made. If it was made after season 7, the game would have had a dedicated "Go Rogue" button which allows Jack to choke-hold friendly NPCs at any time.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Wanted to point out that while re-watching season 3, I noticed the Salazars give Jack some pills to take when they notice his condition (and he refuses to shoot up). I assume they're methadone or another opiate/opiod, hence why he doesn't continue to suffer withdrawal throughout the day.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The 24 game was awesome because they gave you a badass CTU-issue Kevlar vest and that aforementioned yell button was all I ever used. Just running around yelling "Freeze! CTU!" entertained me for hours.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hah thanks for posting the archive link to the season 5 thread. It was awesome how in between the HOLY FUCKS there was a "oh hey it's the news anchor from arrested development" who was an actual news anchor.

Good times.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

So the producers just went and made Chloe "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Oliver Reed posted:

Wanted to point out that while re-watching season 3, I noticed the Salazars give Jack some pills to take when they notice his condition (and he refuses to shoot up). I assume they're methadone or another opiate/opiod, hence why he doesn't continue to suffer withdrawal throughout the day.

Yeah definitely. At least until he suffers an emotional breakdown in the last scene of that season.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Davros1 posted:

So the producers just went and made Chloe "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"?

She was halfway there way before the show ended.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

She was halfway there way before the show ended.

I always hated that scene, 'cause it was nothing but stupid fanservice :colbert:.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

DominoDancing posted:

I always hated that scene, 'cause it was nothing but stupid fanservice :colbert:.

How is that scene fanservice? That is from season 4, coming off of season 3 where Chloe was regarded as a terrible/hated character.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Well, now Mary Lynn Rajskub can dance on the grave of Television Without Pity

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

ElwoodCuse posted:

Well, now Mary Lynn Rajskub can dance on the grave of Television Without Pity

You mean Potato Face?

**SNARK**

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Irish Joe posted:

You mean Potato Face?

**SNARK**

SALT THE SNAIL

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't know about you goon, but I always waffle on whether season 2 or 3 was the better season.

Two, IMO, has the better main plot. Nuclear bombs, President Palmer, CTU getting F-ed in the A, etc...but the B/C plot with Kim is INSUFFERABLE.

The Mis-Adventures of Season 2 Kim include:
Kidnapping the psycho's daughter and the ensuing chase.
Kidnapping her a second time from the hospital with Kung-Fu Boyfriend.
Arrested by a cop because of the dead mom in the trunk from Psycho Dad.
Escapes from the cop car thanks to Kung-Fu Boyfriend.
Runs into a cougar, and escapes it, only to be caught in a loving cougar trap. A simple snare trap that a five-year-old could escape from.
Doomsday Prepper psycho rescues her, but lies to her to hold her hostage to start a new human race...or something.
Amazingly, no major problems in hitchhiking back to LA.
Becomes a hostage during the robbery of a liquor store (I legitimately forgot about this one until reading it just now on a synopsis on Wikipedia.)
Goes back to the house of Psycho Dad, and at least manages to do something right and kills him.

Season three is more consistent, even if the main plot falls a little flat for me, in general.

I think Kim's adventures in season 2 are kind of sublime. She doesn't have anything to do with the main plot and she has the simple task of getting out of LA, and then all this random crazy poo poo happens to her out of nowhere. It's thriller plotting run amok. It makes me think she could go out to get some milk or pick up her prescription and then who knows where she ends up? Lost at sea? Trapped in a mineshaft that's filling with water? It really highlights the bizarre conventions of the world of 24, and it reminds me of the old Perils of Pauline type serials where the heroine just falls into one predicament after another.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If they don't have Logan come back for this season it's a failure in my eyes. We need some Crazy Ex-President Action.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

i love season 7 actually using Kim well. I know some people found the stuff at the airport cheesy, but seeing her actually be useful was seven years in the making.

And every season of 24 has some absolutely awful subplots. generally speaking I can ignore them if the major plot is engaging. Season three did not have Mountain!Kim! But it did completely waste Sherri and President Palmer.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Sherry did kill a man entirely by yelling at him which was pretty awesome though. Even Jack hasn't done that.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Spalec posted:

Even Jack hasn't done that.
Yet.

My season 3 re-watch is going well...the Sherry subplot does seriously suck, though. I like Saunders as a villain. I have to say I got pissed at Jack when he got mad at Tony for going after Michelle once she got kidnapped...I mean of all people he can relate yet he had to take the high road. Poor Tony. But it'd be totally out of character for Jack to support him...I think.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

FlamingLiberal posted:

If they don't have Logan come back for this season it's a failure in my eyes. We need some Crazy Ex-President Action.

Considering the last time we saw him he blew his brains out, I'm not sure he's exactly up for the job.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

ninjahedgehog posted:

Considering the last time we saw him he blew his brains out, I'm not sure he's exactly up for the job.

He shot himself, but he didn't die.

A brain damaged Charles Logan somehow still pulling terrorist strings from a hospital bed isn't out of the question with this show.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The dammit is back!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

gently caress yeah, damnit.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The dammit is back!

Scarlett Johansson
Undressed

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Irish Joe posted:

Scarlett Johansson
Undressed

Because Jack Bauer said so.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Spalec posted:

Sherry did kill a man entirely by yelling at him which was pretty awesome though. Even Jack hasn't done that.

Remind me how and when this happened.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

qntm posted:

Remind me how and when this happened.

This old guy who was gonna blackmail David Palmer started having a heart attack during a shouting match with Sherry and she withheld his pills and he died

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

This old guy who was gonna blackmail David Palmer started having a heart attack during a shouting match with Sherry and she withheld his pills and he died
It was just nature taking its course :colbert:

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
More teaserin': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ZYInTPwqo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

"I don't have any friends" -Jack Bauer

:goonsay:

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Looks like 24 has been pulled from Netflix. Boo.

I guess it's expected given the new series is coming out. Do you think it happened by chance, i.e. the contract for 24 just happened to run out right before 12 comes out, or it got pulled to eek DVD sales out of new viewers just getting into 24, and old viewers who were in the middle of a rewatch? :argh:. This type of thing seems to happen a lot, by which I mean something drumming up interest for old series, which then get pulled from every streaming video outlet. It just started happening now for Cosmos, for crying out loud. The original Cosmos should honestly be free everywhere at this point, but instead it was pulled from every streaming service, and seemingly every upload of the show on video sharing sights have been pulled for copyright violations since Cosmos 2: NDT Edition started airing.

Luckily, it seems Amazon still has 24 streaming. Hopefully that doesn't disappear like Jack Bauer in another week or two, I just need enough time to finish Season 5, damnit!

Damo fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 4, 2014

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

FlamingLiberal posted:

"I don't have any friends" -Jack Bauer

:goonsay:

Any friend of his that wasn't killed or turned traitor, he physically assaulted or tortured.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

BrandonGK posted:

Any friend of his that wasn't killed or turned traitor, he physically assaulted or tortured.

Peirce? He's only met him three times I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I wouldn't really call Pierce a friend, although they do know each other and Pierce obviously has respect for Jack. I assume he's more talking about real personal relationships, of which he has none at this point.

• Locked thread