Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
This is the most minor of pet peeves but every time I try to load a game in the middle of a map and the game asks if you want to save first I instinctively click "Yes" despite not wanting to because every other game asks the question the opposite way around. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Wolpertinger posted:

Good god, the final Torchlighter path for commonwealth mission. I'm 18 turns in and I just lost my capital city! I don't even know where to start here, hahah - I move in one direction to counter one of the SEVEN PEOPLE attacking me and one of the others comes from the other direction, aaahh. The 3 elven court dudes are at war against the four commonwealth dudes, but since they place you and all your capturable cities literally smack dab in the middle, you're in the way! I thought i saw someone else on this mission earlier, anyone got any suggestions? 'rush' doesn't seem like as safe of a tactic here when you're so utterly surrounded.

The campaign's so masochistic, but I love it anyway - it seems like each mission is designed to push you further and further out of your comfort zone and have you try and surmount increasingly lopsided starts.

Rushing is still the correct choice in the matter. With your level 20 heroes plus starting forces plus reinforcements you should be able to clear one faction out. You might lose a couple cities to the other side, but nothing that can't be dealt with eventually.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Conot posted:

How does it send the yields? Just to the nearest city in a straight line or?

The fort has it's own income. We experimented with having forts send income to cities and the results were pretty messy. It was hard to understand and didn't really achieve much in a practical sense.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Gerblyn posted:

The fort has it's own income. We experimented with having forts send income to cities and the results were pretty messy. It was hard to understand and didn't really achieve much in a practical sense.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something on a basic level then, how does the fort having its own +10 labor from a magma forge achieve anything? I get that gold, mana and research get thrown into the global pool, but the fort can't produce any units on its own.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Conot posted:

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something on a basic level then, how does the fort having its own +10 labor from a magma forge achieve anything? I get that gold, mana and research get thrown into the global pool, but the fort can't produce any units on its own.

This was just answered on the previous page :v:, if a fort can't use it it's ignored, while basic income it claims like mana or gold is put straight into your account. Production and pop growth (and I assume happiness?) aren't tapped by a fort.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Gerblyn posted:

They're going great! We're very happy with it :) My boss actually managed to lose a bet with someone about sales because he didn't expect the game to do this well.

Did he have to shave his head?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I.. what.. huh? I just charmed an enemy LEADER hero when he attacked my town? Did he just lose his hero forever? Can he no longer cast spells? If he dies will he go back to him? I didn't expect this to work! This is on the final campaign map, too!

Edit : Strange.. I stole the leader from Leonus, the Human Dreadnought, but this is clearly an orc dreadnought not named Leonus. But.. it's marked as 'leader'. Strange. Did he have two?

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 4, 2014

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
One pet peeve, this game could really use either a toggle to allow to move multiple stacks ('Grand Armies?') in formation, or some sort of a grace period when you're moving stuff before the AI kicks in. As it is, I had an army of four deathstacks I was going to take an AI city with - I moved the first one in and then got locked out while the AI swarmed the first stack with a bunch of its own units. I never got the chance to move the other stacks before they attacked - I could select the other three stacks alright, but they wouldn't move until the AI would stop moving its own stuff. Humans simply aren't as good at multitasking a bazillion-odd stacks like the AI can, so it's already at an advantage there.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hey Gerblyn, you mentioned earlier that editing .rpk files would likely prove to be a hassle for players. Is there any chance this game will get the XCOM treatment in some future patch or expansion, where a few of the parameters will wind up in a more accessible file?

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Drake_263 posted:

One pet peeve, this game could really use either a toggle to allow to move multiple stacks ('Grand Armies?') in formation, or some sort of a grace period when you're moving stuff before the AI kicks in. As it is, I had an army of four deathstacks I was going to take an AI city with - I moved the first one in and then got locked out while the AI swarmed the first stack with a bunch of its own units. I never got the chance to move the other stacks before they attacked - I could select the other three stacks alright, but they wouldn't move until the AI would stop moving its own stuff. Humans simply aren't as good at multitasking a bazillion-odd stacks like the AI can, so it's already at an advantage there.

This is why simultaneous turns are the absolute worst in a turn based game. Given that you're playing against the AI, it shouldn't make a difference if you switch over to classic turns since the load times are quite fast (at least for me and I have trouble running the game at steady fps on low settings).

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The funny part is you can use the same strategy against the AI to pick off the stragglers when it moves it's doomstack :getin:

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Hey Gerblyn, you mentioned earlier that editing .rpk files would likely prove to be a hassle for players. Is there any chance this game will get the XCOM treatment in some future patch or expansion, where a few of the parameters will wind up in a more accessible file?

That's a nice idea actually. In principle we could move some things to XML config files, I think the main problem with that is that we've promized Modding support and a lot of people might see it as a huge cop out... I'll make a note of it though.

In other news, I just sat down with a designer and we nerfed the living poo poo out of research. Goblin scientists are hiding in their mud hovels weeping bitter tears at the research costs I just typed into an Excel spreadsheet. Assuming it doesn't break horribly, research will be very different in the next patch. As an indicator, the amount of research needed to complete everything has been increased by ~70-80%.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

That's a nice idea actually. In principle we could move some things to XML config files, I think the main problem with that is that we've promized Modding support and a lot of people might see it as a huge cop out... I'll make a note of it though.

In other news, I just sat down with a designer and we nerfed the living poo poo out of research. Goblin scientists are hiding in their mud hovels weeping bitter tears at the research costs I just typed into an Excel spreadsheet. Assuming it doesn't break horribly, research will be very different in the next patch. As an indicator, the amount of research needed to complete everything has been increased by ~70-80%.

Wow, in the first patch? This'll be kinda interesting - a whole new game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Not sure if it has been mentioned but as a random tip: Just like in previous AoWs if you end up one hex short from an enemy stack you want to attack due to not having enough movement, you can separate a faster unit that still has movement remaining and attack the enemy with them which will count as attacking with the whole stack. Can save a great deal of time and trouble against moving opponents.

Also a small feature request: There should probably be a confirmation dialog for surrendering in combat. It hasn't happened to me yet, but having the "instant lose" button right next to "End turn" seems pretty dangerous in a game where battles can go on for quite a while.

E:

Gerblyn posted:

Wonder if that'll require rebalancing the campaign at all.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Gerblyn posted:

That is fantastic news!

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Gerblyn posted:

Is this affecting all research then, even the early ones? Because early game research taking 5 turns for stuff feels fine at the moment, it's that top-level things research too quickly that's the problem. Or at least that's how it feels to me.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

When is the new patch's eta?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Tier 1 is the same, T2 and T3 should take 1 or 2 turns longer to make. T4 and T5 is where things go up a lot. T6 and T7 research is now proper end game, with much higher costs. It's drastic, but it really needed to be done, some of the values were just nonsense (research for a flame tank was way too cheap for a powerful T3 unit) and as people here and elsewhere have complained, the game has no real End Game at the moment. To make an end game, we need to change some of the ultimate level stuff and make it harder to come by.

Patch ETA is still TBA. I don't really want to say until we've made an official announcement.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
D'oh, I was hoping the patch would be out by this weekend. :(

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

How do heroes work in random maps? If you don't recruit your initial hero will another one appear after a while (I think that's how it used to work in older games)?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

While I should say that these are fairly substantial changes being made to the game before it's even a week old, and that it's something that should have come out in play testing, the fact that you and the other developers are willing to go so far so quickly says very good things about the support the game will get from you guys over its lifespan.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Triskelli posted:

While I should say that these are fairly substantial changes being made to the game before it's even a week old, and that it's something that should have come out in play testing, the fact that you and the other developers are willing to go so far so quickly says very good things about the support the game will get from you guys over its lifespan.

It scares the hell out of me TBQH, but lots of people are complaining that the endgame can become a stagnant slog, and I'm inclined to agree. Hopefully this is will fix it witout breaking things too horribly :ohdear:

a!n posted:

How do heroes work in random maps? If you don't recruit your initial hero will another one appear after a while (I think that's how it used to work in older games)?

Yeah, one will spawn 5-10 turns later, ish.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I think the research change is needed, but some economy balancing may be needed to smooth out progression. We'll see how things go with slower research and actually putting up globals first, I guess.

One small request, is there any way to have the unit level up progression added to the tome of wonders? I knew most units gained a new passive at max level, but I totally missed stuff like support units gaining new actives as they leveled up, or Draconian Units gaining increased Fire Resistance. Or Goblins and the volunteer trait, or stuff that's just weird/cool like max level hunters becoming martial arts masters.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

madmac posted:

I think the research change is needed, but some economy balancing may be needed to smooth out progression. We'll see how things go with slower research and actually putting up globals first, I guess.

One small request, is there any way to have the unit level up progression added to the tome of wonders? I knew most units gained a new passive at max level, but I totally missed stuff like support units gaining new actives as they leveled up, or Draconian Units gaining increased Fire Resistance. Or Goblins and the volunteer trait, or stuff that's just weird/cool like max level hunters becoming martial arts masters.

I'll add the request to my feedback list!

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Gerblyn posted:

Research does need to be slower, but I think the issue is how quick you can get research points. A good world location and a couple of structures can quadruple your research amount. Maybe capital cities should have a higher base amount, and other structures/world locations have less.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The game honestly seems to play a lot better with city founding turned off, few cities and dwellings, and very cramped maps.

It'd be nice if there was some way to create and maintain that level of scarcity without needing to resort to that degree of city limiting. The game has some really great gameplay at that sort of level which does get a little lost when you start fielding very large armies.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Yeah, the research is a problem, but it's also a symptom of economy scaling to the point people are rolling in infinite gold, mana, and research. I understand not wanting to gimp cities too much so that starting out isn't painfully slow, but maybe some sort of scaling penalty as your empire expands to keep things in check? It's pretty standard in these kind of grand strategy games to implement a diminishing returns factor so that every city you take/found isn't a flat bonus to your ever escalating money-pile.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Hurgh.. this final campaign mission is just so.. hard. I've been at it for a few hours and I've managed to get two dreadnoughts up but it looks like it might be over anyway as there are just way too many enemies taking all my cities at once with tier four units everywhere for me to be able to take anything back. Has anyone beaten the campaign yet?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Keybinding talk, Z and X are set to zoom in/out, as im using a mouse wheel for that i just rebound them to map layer up/down.

Any other winning suggestions from you lot? This feels better already. :haw:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Really looking forward to any new DLC / Expansions you put out... unless it's going to be $5 map packs ala Civ 5 (which doesn't seem to be your MO thankfully)

Would love to see new races though and character options. (anything from Shadow Magic etc.) Just my 2 cents but I'm sure you guys know this.

Also a few guys from my work place are really enjoying the game too.

Malek fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 4, 2014

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Kind of interested in this, although I never really got into the earlier AoWs. One thing I don't see answered anywhere is how the game limits city building, though? I hate ICS strategies (more cities = strictly better, so you should always be pumping out settlers and cities) in these games. Are there some kind of limiting factors for this here? I found the hard-ish limit Civ 5 had for the number of cities to be alright in preventing you from sinking to micromanaging-hell, for example (although yeah, there are ways around that).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

It scares the hell out of me TBQH, but lots of people are complaining that the endgame can become a stagnant slog, and I'm inclined to agree. Hopefully this is will fix it witout breaking things too horribly :ohdear:

Endgame in 4x is always a slog. Some devs have recognized and tried to fix it, putting mechanics like AI surrendering when it's clearly losing (Stardock) or putting alternative victory conditions (like special sites to control) apart from the "exterminate everyone" (Stardock, Illwinter).

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Dropbear posted:

Kind of interested in this, although I never really got into the earlier AoWs. One thing I don't see answered anywhere is how the game limits city building, though? I hate ICS strategies (more cities = strictly better, so you should always be pumping out settlers and cities) in these games. Are there some kind of limiting factors for this here? I found the hard-ish limit Civ 5 had for the number of cities to be alright in preventing you from sinking to micromanaging-hell, for example (although yeah, there are ways around that).

If you're playing the campaign, no idea, otherwise in one of the advanced options screens (the one with the leaders if im not mistaken) building new cities can be disabled outright.

Turin Turambar posted:

Endgame in 4x is always a slog. Some devs have recognized and tried to fix it, putting mechanics like AI surrendering when it's clearly losing (Stardock) or putting alternative victory conditions (like special sites to control) apart from the "exterminate everyone" (Stardock, Illwinter).

I hope we see something like that as an expansion hook, since AOW didn't have this i could see a reasonable argument made for "We wanted to get a firm foundation then mix it up."

Something like, Allying the old races together at a special site to bring them fully to your side. Or just outright finding the "Lost City of the Wizard Lords" and holding it for long enough.
Completing a mega project (Rogues going for the ultimate information gathering network, Dreadnoughts completeing the Manahatten project, Sorcerors tearing open the rift to other worlds... and so on.) that can be started towards the end of the midgame and takes multiple cities and endgame research to complete.
Dragging the other players to the negotiation table and forcing them to sign alliances with each other.

I'm sure theres more ideas cooking around in peoples minds.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 4, 2014

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Loving this game but the simultaneous turns thing can be pretty annoying for multiplayer. If it's not possible to add a mode for sequential turns could we get a toggle to tell our dudes to immediately do their planned move orders without having to confirm? Or maybe some kind of way to plan all of your moves and then hit execute. That would solve the problem of your big stack getting murdered piecemeal the second you try to move it into position. As is, you have to move in tiny steps to avoid getting separated if your opponent is paying attention.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think mana costs are really hit and miss sometimes. One game as a dreadnought I had huge mana issues which really limited how many musketeers I could build. Next game I'm a druid and my only mana costs are summons which take many turns to put through. Tier 3 and 4 race units do have mana costs associated with them, but by the time I'll be able to produce them in any decent numbers I will have 2000+ mana stockpiled which is just wasteful.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Shadowmorn posted:

If you're playing the campaign, no idea, otherwise in one of the advanced options screens (the one with the leaders if im not mistaken) building new cities can be disabled outright.

Yeah, I read that too, but I didn't mean exactly that - I like founding cities in good spots, I just don't like the optimum strategy being "cram as many cities as you possibly can in the area you have". Anyone know if city building has some kind of limits like in Civ 5, or is more cities always better than less?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Been playing with my brother. 1v1 is a good way to play this game

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Beta patch announced and available on Steam. Final is due out next week.

http://ageofwonders.com/forums/topic/v1-08-beta-patch-test-branch-for-steam-users/

quote:

Change Log:

Fixes:
• WQHD / QHD (up to 2560 x 1440 / 2560 *1600) native resolution display support (the Black & White boxes and blurry text should disappear). Fix has been verified to work up to and including a resolution of 2560×1660.
• Fixed an issue for people using Intel HD Graphics – specifically for HD4000 and Surface 2 Pro – in combination with certain driver version, that caused a crash when opening interface screens – e.g. starting the game, opening options menu, skill book, etc.

Performance
• Fixed frame drop when armies were selected.
• Fixed decreasing frame rate occurring during extended play, particularly in longer battles.
• Fixed a memory leak when Windows was locked.
• Optimized a feature effecting maps with water, which should now show increased framerate.

AI Improvements
• Fixed some cases where the tactical AI would come out from behind the walls of cities and fortresses too soon.
• Stopped the AI spamming disjunction, so players can now use global magic more easily.
• Fixed an issue where the tactical AI would cast a resurrection spell on an invalid target.
• Made ‘squire’ AI easier to beat.
• AI settings for players were changed to compensate for this change, to keep the same level of challenge on normal difficulty.
• Using the ‘restart’ option in a campaign map now returns the player to the briefing, allowing map difficulty to be changed.

Scenario & Campaign
• Campaign: Heroes being mind controlled no longer causes you to instantly lose a campaign map if you rescue them by the end of combat.
• Campaign: Heroes which are protected by the ‘resurgence’ effect – e.g. the theocrat’s ‘rebirth’ spell – can now die in tactical combat without causing you to lose the campaign map, as long as you win the battle that they die in.
• Blightmouth Crater: Closed a gap in impassable mountains.
• Blightmouth Crater: Removed two superfluous hearts of the blight.
• Blightmouth Crater: Fixed the behavior of independent armies.
• Elven Resurgence: Player 6 now starts with more gold mines, making the starting positions more balanced.
• 4th Elven Court map: Independents no longer interfere with one of the starting quests.
• 4th Commonwealth map: Fixed a message that missed an icon under specific circumstances.
• 5th Commonwealth map: A ‘defeat leader’ quest no longer reveals that leader’s position.
• 5th Commonwealth map: Fixed a story message that had overlapping lines of text.
• 6th Elven Court & Commonwealth maps: Prevented story characters from dying when you are victorious.
• 6th Elven Court and Commonwealth maps: Added a few building upgrades to starting cities to give the player a better starting situation and more options.

Other Fixes.
• Fixed settings – e.g. graphics settings – not being saved when using the ‘guest’ profile.
• Fixed the stack confirm movement button being disabled in some situations when a stack was auto-moving.
• Fixed a rare crash caused by a player razing a city with a heart of blight, tropics, etc in its domain
• Fixed an issue where a backstab bonus wasn’t being correctly applied. This led to situations where a unit could backstab a target without flanking it.
• Fixed a crash triggered by clicking on a “You lost your throne city!” event.
• Fixed a crash triggered by selecting a ‘Egg has hatched’ after loading the save game.
• Fixed the ‘Remove army from event list’ shortcut key function so armies are properly removed from the list.
• Fixed an issue where the ‘Protect your leader and throne city’ quest failed to complete on victory.
• The game now ignores controller input, to prevent camera drift when a controller is plugged in.
• ‘Spring of life’ now rewards units when explored.
• When creating a new custom leader, the field for setting a name is now left empty by default.

Balance:
• ‘Shrine of smiting’ is no longer ‘Devout’, nerfing ‘Shrine of smiting’ doom stacks which relied on stacking ‘Devout’ bonuses for the ‘Smiting prayer bolts’.
• ‘Shadow stalker’ now does cold damage. This fixes an issue where rogues had limited options vs. blight immune troops.
• Increased the research costs of skills to slow down progression through the skill tree.
• Increased cost of racial tier 3 unit building to 300 gold and 100 mana.
• Decreased the base production of cities.
• Fixed issue with ‘Libraries’ and ‘Observatories’ generating too much knowledge.

Features:
• Added buttons on either side of the city name that cycle through cities owned by the player.
• We added a quick save option, bound under CTRL+S by default.
• Added extra text to the preview popup when attacking a city wall. Players can now see the hit points the wall have remaining as they plan their attack.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Question about heroes leading armies. If I take 3 stacks, each led by a hero into combat will it apply the bonuses from the hero leading the attacking stack to all 3 armies, or do the units in each stack get different bonuses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Demiurge4 posted:

Question about heroes leading armies. If I take 3 stacks, each led by a hero into combat will it apply the bonuses from the hero leading the attacking stack to all 3 armies, or do the units in each stack get different bonuses?

You only get one leader per stack and they only give bonuses to their stack.

• Locked thread