Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
There's a 'mana for casting spells' (looks like a star or a snowflake) and a 'crystals' mana that your cities can harvest/generate. How do you rebuild the spellcasting kind? I saw between turns it doesn't get regenerated fully, and I'm playing the elf campaign so in part 2 I have 3 spellcasters and no mana!

Yeah I realise I am probably misunderstanding something... but yeah how do you regenerate the spellcasting stuff?

Also the (mission 2 elves) 'x the pretty' goblin isn't attacking me so I'm not attacking her. That may become a problem. I'm gonna see if I can go over the river and find the elven cities or something. (don't spoil me bro)
Can you enter someone's territory without it counting as an 'attack'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Demiurge4 posted:

I think mana costs are really hit and miss sometimes. One game as a dreadnought I had huge mana issues which really limited how many musketeers I could build. Next game I'm a druid and my only mana costs are summons which take many turns to put through. Tier 3 and 4 race units do have mana costs associated with them, but by the time I'll be able to produce them in any decent numbers I will have 2000+ mana stockpiled which is just wasteful.
I think part of the problem is that in the games I've played so far I've not found a huge amount of opportunities for "impulse" mana spending. In the previous games you could dump excess mana generation into your research budget, or if you had some free casting points you could throw a couple of enchant weapons around. Losing these two mana sinks has reduced the ability to adapt playstyle to mana production.

What about getting rid of the double casting points cost for casting from your main hero in a battle they're not in? Maybe keeping the double mana cost if the once-spell-per-turn is not enough of a limiter. As it stands in the early game it's physically impossible to cast any spells using that option.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 4, 2014

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
^^ Unless you're playing Dreadnought, spamming "mana fuel cells" and building tons of musketeers, then mana dries up quickly up until the midgame- after that it's a feast again though. I really think the random map generator likes mana nodes too much, even with resource buildings set to "few" there's plenty of spots with an easy 2 nodes right next to eachother.

Dropbear posted:

Yeah, I read that too, but I didn't mean exactly that - I like founding cities in good spots, I just don't like the optimum strategy being "cram as many cities as you possibly can in the area you have". Anyone know if city building has some kind of limits like in Civ 5, or is more cities always better than less?

You can spam cities as much as you want and theoretically more cities is always better, whether you want to invest the turns and gold to city spam however is probably questionable. This isn't a game that takes 300+ turns, most mediums maps I've played so far ended around turn 100-130 and it's probably just quicker to start building armies at a certain point.

I've never felt the need to build more than 6-7 cities even on empire build mode, after that it's just easier to take cities from the other players.

Mind you, that's just personal experience from a few days, maybe next week somebody will come out with the perfect city-spam plan that's safe enough not to die and prove it optimal (at which point I'm fairly sure Triumph will patch things to balance out a bit more).

Autsj fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 4, 2014

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

WYA posted:

Been playing with my brother. 1v1 is a good way to play this game

To be clear, you don't have to be a Beta tester to get this patch, you just need a steam version of the game. I'm sorry if you brought the game from GoG, we can't deploy betas to you without Steam :(

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
In the older games, buffs, summons, (Both of these had per turn mana costs) and globals were my primary mana limiters, followed by funneling extra mana to research.

In AOW 3 globals are dispel bait (being changed) summons viability/pacing varies with class, buffs are battlefield only spells, and the funneling option doesn't exist. Additionally, while it's a sensible change the one spell per/turn limit drastically cuts back on mana useage. There's simply nothing to spend large amounts of mana on 80% of the time, it's no wonder people bank it to such an extent and don't bother with mana producing buildings.

The beta patch looks promising and I'll install it as soon as I get home from work.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think a lot of it could be fixed by bringing back global unit buff spells. I think it's an odd choice to make buffs combat only, as it eats an entire turn from a hero unit and relegates my main hero to be basically a backline supporter at all times. It would be nice if I could pre-cast flame aura on my cavalry for a hefty upkeep cost. This will give classes that aren't dependent on mana for unit production to actually spend it and will make lower tier units viable for a lot longer.

I understand that some buff spells are incredibly powerful (barrier, 80% physical resistance on an Eldrich Horror) but I don't see how else to spend the mana.

There's an odd obsession about "balance" in the game. Some of the best fun I ever had with Master of Magic was breaking the game over my knee and going crazy with all the different combo's you could do. Grab lycanthropy early on and cast it on a basic unit and now you have a weapons immune group of werewolves running around murdering all the NPC towns with impunity :v:

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

redreader posted:

There's a 'mana for casting spells' (looks like a star or a snowflake) and a 'crystals' mana that your cities can harvest/generate. How do you rebuild the spellcasting kind? I saw between turns it doesn't get regenerated fully, and I'm playing the elf campaign so in part 2 I have 3 spellcasters and no mana!

Yeah I realise I am probably misunderstanding something... but yeah how do you regenerate the spellcasting stuff?

I think you're talking about "Casting Points"? These are replenished at the end of your turn, and each Hero has their own supply. Your leader gets more casting points by doing research, a Theocrat needs to research 1 level "Divine Channeling" 10 casting points. Heroes buy more casting points as upgrades (with the same name, so a Theocrat hero can buy a Divine Channeling upgrade for 5 skill points).

It's important to note that Casting points ONLY refill at the end of your turn, and your leader's casting points are used both in combat and on the world map.

Does that make sense?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

I think a lot of it could be fixed by bringing back global unit buff spells. I think it's an odd choice to make buffs combat only, as it eats an entire turn from a hero unit and relegates my main hero to be basically a backline supporter at all times. It would be nice if I could pre-cast flame aura on my cavalry for a hefty upkeep cost. This will give classes that aren't dependent on mana for unit production to actually spend it and will make lower tier units viable for a lot longer.

I understand that some buff spells are incredibly powerful (barrier, 80% physical resistance on an Eldrich Horror) but I don't see how else to spend the mana.

There's an odd obsession about "balance" in the game. Some of the best fun I ever had with Master of Magic was breaking the game over my knee and going crazy with all the different combo's you could do. Grab lycanthropy early on and cast it on a basic unit and now you have a weapons immune group of werewolves running around murdering all the NPC towns with impunity :v:

You could always mantain the most powerful buffs as battlefield only. SM had some crazy spells that worked that way.

The combination of making all buffs battlefield only and the one spell per turn limit really does limit their use severely. If it's not on par with your best battle oriented magic it's not going to be cast, ever.

That said, buffs were a huge part of the metagame in AOW2 and SM, and one of the reasons it was easy to steamroll the AI is because it wasn't smart enough to roll with small uber-buffed death stacks. A middle-ground would be ideal.

madmac fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 4, 2014

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

I think a potential problem with global buffs will be the indirect buff to tier 3-4 units and Heroes, buffing lots of lower tier units gets prohibitive but primarily Heroes and higher tier units is manageable. I like the occasional game breaking overpowered stuff too, but just a few cookie cutter setups that always win is crappy, buffed heroes soloing the map is something we've already done in AoW1 and 2.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Autsj posted:

I think a potential problem with global buffs will be the indirect buff to tier 3-4 units and Heroes, buffing lots of lower tier units gets prohibitive but primarily Heroes and higher tier units is manageable. I like the occasional game breaking overpowered stuff too, but just a few cookie cutter setups that always win is crappy, buffed heroes soloing the map is something we've already done in AoW1 and 2.

Yeah I get that, but that follows mid and late game formula quite well. Tier 3-4 units can get a wide variety of excellent buffs from the different classes. Plus you still have dispel and buff stealing as useful abilities in normal units. If priest units had passive stack healing abilities on the world map that increases regeneration per turn they still have a spot in my party. If archers can pierce the 80% physical reduction barrier by buffing them with a fire attack they're still useful and so on. Yes the strongest units will be stronger, but they will also be vulnerable to counters. Maybe fix each basic unit with a maximum of 1 global buff? That way you won't be able to stack a knight up with all kinds of crazy poo poo, but you can still give force field to your engineer so he won't be sniped by a fireball.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Demiurge4 posted:

Maybe fix each basic unit with a maximum of 1 global buff? That way you won't be able to stack a knight up with all kinds of crazy poo poo, but you can still give force field to your engineer so he won't be sniped by a fireball.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. Might also help to make the spell upkeep based on the tier of the unit.

Too bad about the beta patch, since I bought it through GoG. Kind of figured this would happen though. :I

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
Game already really polished, and you guys are still on top of things patching user feedback in the first week.

Very kick-rear end. Gonna lose some hours to this game this weekend!! Keep it up.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
The beta patch seems to have broken the campaign's AI on Elf 1. They just do not seem to be doing anything, aside from every little while they randomly disjunction one of my spells.

The AI has about 6 doom stacks and they are all just sitting clustered around their two cities. Their armies have not moved in about 20 or so turns. If i move a small weak army a few hexes away from their doom stack they just completely ignore it.

I haven't gotten far enough but so far the enemy on Elf 2 hasn't done anything it seems.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Are you playing on Easy mode? The new "Squire" AI was modified in an experimental way to make ti more passive, and we might have overshot the mark a little...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Demiurge4 posted:

Maybe fix each basic unit with a maximum of 1 global buff? That way you won't be able to stack a knight up with all kinds of crazy poo poo, but you can still give force field to your engineer so he won't be sniped by a fireball.
I like this idea a lot. A hell of a lot.

Apocalyptic Penguin
Sep 6, 2010
Wow. This is really the first free moment I've had all week where I haven't been playing this game. I've been waiting for this for the better part of a decade, and I am not disappointed. So great job to Gerblyn and colleagues! This is how sequels are supposed to be done, and it makes me even happier to know it will be getting a proper expansion, rather than a mess of nickle-and-dime DLCs that barely interact with each other.

AoW3 is really close to everything I'd hoped it would be, but I do have a few small quibbles:
A) I wish we could select the race of our starting city independently of our leader's race, like in the previous games. It just feels wrong not to be able to have my high elf sorceress slumming it with goblins because she got exiled for playing with blight magic.
B) I miss dark elves because I am a horrible fantasy dork who likes horrible fantasy tropes. I want steampunk 'Not-Drow', dammit.
C) I'd like to see more options for each unit tier, (e.g. a Support, Ranged, Infantry, and Cavalry option on each tier). Of course, this would involve a massive amount of extra work with all the race/class combinations, so it's more wishful thinking than anything, but even just a couple more options per tier would help give a bit more diversity to army composition. But it may just be that I'm more used to games like Civilization where they throw tons of (sometimes worthless) units at you.

But when you consider those are my only real "issues" with the game so far, it really speaks for the quality of the product. No game breaking bugs or anything like that; game was completely playable on day 1. On top of that, this is the first game I have preordered where something didn't go horribly, horribly wrong. the only problem I had was with setting up my account, and I imagine that was only because Triumph's servers were getting hammered from lots of other people doing the same thing. I just goofed off in offline mode for about an hour, then got everything set up fine.

I am glad to hear that research is being rebalanced, because it really did feel like I gobbled up every skill way too fast. Also the thing with defenders running out from behind their walls too fast; as in, that was literally the first thing they would do when the battle started, leaving me to think, 'why did you even build walls?'

Anyway, game is awesome. I've been burnt on so many purchases lately, so nice to find one that gets so many things right.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I've been gently maneuvering around this thread since release to avoid story spoilers, so forgive me if this had been asked: is it possible to view fps via console? Actually, is the console a thing or did I read that someplace else about another game? And would viewing fps via console lock me out of earning precious ~steam achievements~?

Gonna be embarrassed if it's a simple ~show_fps!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
You can only access it in debug mode (selectable from the misc tab). Press CTRL-F while in game, and it should appear in the top left corner. Debug mode is a little slower than the normal mode though, so it might not be too accurate.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

spider wisdom posted:

I've been gently maneuvering around this thread since release to avoid story spoilers, so forgive me if this had been asked: is it possible to view fps via console? Actually, is the console a thing or did I read that someplace else about another game? And would viewing fps via console lock me out of earning precious ~steam achievements~?

Gonna be embarrassed if it's a simple ~show_fps!
I use Fraps for all my FPS checking needs.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Gerblyn posted:

Are you playing on Easy mode? The new "Squire" AI was modified in an experimental way to make ti more passive, and we might have overshot the mark a little...

Normal Difficulty

I just beat mission 2 on Normal difficulty i don't think the AI once tried to move his army into my territory.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Gerblyn: I notice nothing in the beta patch about multiplayer issues, any chance of that stuff making it in the final patch or no?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Captain Oblivious posted:

Gerblyn: I notice nothing in the beta patch about multiplayer issues, any chance of that stuff making it in the final patch or no?

Well, apparently we're working on something to allow people to use Himachi/VPNs to bypass university routers and stuff, but that's really not my area. I've been running round like an idiot trying to rebalance research all day, so I haven't been paying much attention to the tech side of things.

I'm afraid to say though, that if the changes were gonna come, they'd be mentioned in the patch notes.

UberJumper posted:

Normal Difficulty

I just beat mission 2 on Normal difficulty i don't think the AI once tried to move his army into my territory.

Herm, sounds broken. I guess that's why we're having a beta rather than just making it live for everyone! I'll make a note for us to check it on Monday.

I PMd you about it.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 4, 2014

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Gerblyn posted:

Well, apparently we're working on something to allow people to use Himachi/VPNs to bypass university routers and stuff, but that's really not my area. I've been running round like an idiot trying to rebalance research all day, so I haven't been paying much attention to the tech side of things.

I'm afraid to say though, that if the changes were gonna come, they'd be mentioned in the patch notes.

Herm, sounds broken. I guess that's why we're having a beta rather than just making it live for everyone! I'll make a note for us to check it on Monday.

I PMd you about it.

Well the AI was never aggressive to me in the campaign on hard (never once attacked me), before the patch too. But thats more due to me being ultra aggressive I think

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's pretty easy to break the AI's back, as it were, if you move fast in the early game. On the commonwealth campaigns first map I found that if you took the city immediately north of the first one you take the AI stops being aggressive at all and plays passively for the rest of the round. Which is fine with me because I enjoy going around the map picking up all the treasure sites.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Playing a Lord difficulty random map as a goblin warlord, ended up having every AI declare war on me on sight. Fine, okay, good practice for fighting on multiple fronts. I manage to squash one, start making inroads on another. Then I realize that three of my remaining opponents are theocrats. Cue the ridiculous, loving endless stream of Shrine of Smiting/Exalted stacks torpedoing into my territory like guerilla infiltrators from all directions. None of my garrisons can handle this in the slightest, so I spent about 45-50 turns playing whack a mole with my hero stacks squashing the endless tide of annoying garbage flowing in from all directions before finally quitting in disgust because I didn't see a way to dig out of the eternal cycle.

Basically gently caress theocrats.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

WYA posted:

Well the AI was never aggressive to me in the campaign on hard (never once attacked me), before the patch too. But thats more due to me being ultra aggressive I think
They were pretty chill with me on elf 2 on normal, and I was pretty turtley my first run through. It really seems like they want you to make the first move.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

UberJumper posted:

The beta patch seems to have broken the campaign's AI on Elf 1. They just do not seem to be doing anything, aside from every little while they randomly disjunction one of my spells.

The AI has about 6 doom stacks and they are all just sitting clustered around their two cities. Their armies have not moved in about 20 or so turns. If i move a small weak army a few hexes away from their doom stack they just completely ignore it.

I haven't gotten far enough but so far the enemy on Elf 2 hasn't done anything it seems.

I'm pretty sure I was experiencing this before the patch, playing on normal mode. I assumed it was just kind of boring and easy for the sake of a tutorial-esque mission. I was spending multitudes of turns setting up triple-stack attacks on his cities while his stack just stood there, waiting for the odds to compound against him. I never saw any sign of them moving.

Honestly I feel like the AI could stand to be a little more aggressive in general - even in sandbox mode they seem hesitant to attack unless the odds are very strongly in their favor. It's still fun being on the offensive all the time but they seem afraid of so much as a scout drone

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

To the person that said dire penguins need to be epic mounts:

Chop chop Gerblyn

Jamski
Nov 8, 2010

This post contains at least 76.4% functional content and no more than 0.65% spam (or other allowed additives) as according to 2009 EU guidelines.
Well this game is pretty amazing, and the changes in beta patch 1 are very welcome, but it would be lovely to see:

1.) Some buffs castable on the overland map (with some kinda system to limit this - perhaps multiply mana upkeep by unit tier?)
2.) A new smaller random map size (let's call it... Tiny?)
3.) More aggressive AI at all difficulty levels. I have literally only fought 1 battle as the defender since release.

Please?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just want to repeat what someone said earlier: I was having a battle in elf campaign 1, the first battle against an enemy hero ever. I saved beforehand because I'd already had to restart the campaign due to losing that battle. I tried to reload after failing that fight and TOTALLY saved the game after failing the fight, while trying to load. The prompts are just super weird and unexpected. Normally if you load, the prompt that comes up in many games is 'abandon all progress?' but in this one it's "save before you load?" or something like that.

edit: this game is great! thanks for listening to user comments!

redreader fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 4, 2014

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Jamski posted:

Some buffs castable on the overland map (with some kinda system to limit this - perhaps multiply mana upkeep by unit tier?)

The prequels had this, and unit enchants tended to be by far the best expenditure of mana you could make. I guess permanent unit enchantments could be balanced just by making their effects minor and their maintenance high. Obviously the good buffs like Instant Wrath would have to be combat-only. That said, I much prefer the way it is now to having imbalanced buffs that everyone whips around left and right instead of actually casting spells.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jamski posted:

3.) More aggressive AI at all difficulty levels. I have literally only fought 1 battle as the defender since release.
One thing I really liked about AoW1 and missed in AoW2 was the multiple AI types. You could set AIs to be aggressive or defensive or expansionistic or slash-and-burn or what have you. If that were to make a comeback I would be a happy man.

Triskelli posted:

To the person that said dire penguins need to be epic mounts:

Chop chop Gerblyn
But not as happy a man as this would make me.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Jamski posted:

Please?

This is a problem i actually haven't experienced, i play on Lord, and every game since before patch(haven't gotten to try it yet)i have been aggressivle attacked by the AI. Last game as a Orc Rogue i was actually getting stomped by a goblin warlord, didn't manage to leverage my sneaky advantages and well, shadow fiends pre-patch aren't very good against gobling manticore riders with the battlefield buffs warlords have :\.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Splicer posted:

One thing I really liked about AoW1 and missed in AoW2 was the multiple AI types. You could set AIs to be aggressive or defensive or expansionistic or slash-and-burn or what have you. If that were to make a comeback I would be a happy man.

Except that they all did the same poo poo no matter what you picked so it didnt really matter

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Space Hamlet posted:

I'm pretty sure I was experiencing this before the patch, playing on normal mode. I assumed it was just kind of boring and easy for the sake of a tutorial-esque mission. I was spending multitudes of turns setting up triple-stack attacks on his cities while his stack just stood there, waiting for the odds to compound against him. I never saw any sign of them moving.

Honestly I feel like the AI could stand to be a little more aggressive in general - even in sandbox mode they seem hesitant to attack unless the odds are very strongly in their favor. It's still fun being on the offensive all the time but they seem afraid of so much as a scout drone

Its funny before the patch playing that mission, the AI refused to leave me alone. They settled a few new cities, and kept sending stacks from the north to my throne city, and through the west. I ended up being forced to fight tooth and nail through that mission, with it finishing in a massive siege of the enemy capital city. It was fun.

I am really enjoying the campaign due to the sheer number of ways to beat the missions.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Do ultra settings make anyone else's dark coloured dwarf beards go transparent in scene 2?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The jacked-up later tier research prices should be neat. Anyone know the math to determine how long it'd take to reach Tier 4 units flat-out using the new research model? Or are there too many factors to really estimate it?

poo poo, I wouldnt complain if it was like 100 turns honestly :P

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Bums. Just lost my first flametank in combat. "Aha!" I think "This looks like a job for my newly researched reassemble spell!"
:negative:
No valid target? I guess you cannot rezz units that deathplode :(

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
I'm not a monster it'sonlyamask.
I feel like information I want is often not within easy grasp. When building units there doesn't seem to be any way to see their tier before you produce one? Also is there a way to see more information about your and others' leaders, mainly spell specializations?

It's really good the disjunction thing is getting addressed but I hope it eventually fundamentally changes beyond the AI being less likely to cast it. Such a bummer to have it be an automatic guarantee.

I hope I'm not just posting to complain because I am just disgustingly happy with this game overall. I stayed up Way Too Late playing a Draconian Warlord last night. Raise Militia seems like a great spell except 90% of the time, hatchlings. Never even managed to evolve one. I did make friends with and create an army of actual dragons though, so it all worked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I managed to get Arctic Empire up and running for several turns and it was beautiful. Everything turned to snow and ice and it even started pushing out outside of my borders.

• Locked thread