Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007
Just make the single player easier than Sonic, please. I'm a filthy casual who can't unlock the Golden Axe dwarf I want since I can't hardly beat any of the next star level of difficulty races :(

Maybe it's me but Sonic seems so loving hard at high difficulties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Yes, that was the problem with mario kart 64 multiplayer. not the frame skip actually speeding the game up and making racing awful.
I think you mean "Making Racing Even More Awesome."

Nothing like rocketing around Block Fort at 9000 mph in four player battle mode.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Kabanaw posted:

From what I hear it drops some graphics features (Not as long a draw distance I think) and it goes from constant 60 fps to constant 30.

So like a vsync / frame lock thing? Because going from 40-20 and bouncing around is annoying.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Eh, I don't think 30 fps per second is that big a deal on four-player. You probably won't even notice it once you get into the race unless you are super-anal.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Yeah, I get the impression the drop from 60 FPS to 30 isn't because the game is chugging, they just decided that they would lock the framerate at a lower setting to ensure it still runs smoothly.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
I just have to say, last night I went to the Wii-U eShop and watched the new Mario Kart 8 trailer on my TV and I am in love!!

I hadn't been following this thread and I was UNAWARE there was a New Mario Kart 8 trailer out there :(

Nintendo is doing this game freaking right! I scooted up to the TV and felt like a kid again, it just felt right.

Rainbow Road is going to rule, they even used the N64 Music! Also, floating train out of no where!

If you haven't watched that trailer yet on your TV, you must go do it now!! This game cannot come fast enough!

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 4, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Edit: Nevermind I'm dumb and misread that :argh:

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 4, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yes and 2 is not more than 2, is it?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
It looks like you only do one lap on the N64 Rainbow Road track from the video I watched, probably because the track is so long.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

It looks like you only do one lap on the N64 Rainbow Road track from the video I watched, probably because the track is so long.

Yeah it's split into 3 sections like MK7's road was.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

njsykora posted:

Yeah it's split into 3 sections like MK7's road was.

Thank god for that. The only memorable thing about Star Road was the music and that it was in space, otherwise it was just really loving long and boring.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Yes, that was the problem with mario kart 64 multiplayer. not the frame skip actually speeding the game up and making racing awful.

MarioKart 64 awful? What?

Best battle mode ever (why haven't they been able to come even close since then?)

Also, lol "strat"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Its the bobomb. Transforming into bobomb when you lose for one last spite driven kamikaze attack when you've lost is fantastic and I still can't believe they never brought it back.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I transferred my VC purchases from my OG Wii to the Wii U using the app from the eStore. In order to launch them now, I need to run the Wii app first, which whatever, but when I checked the Wii U shop, only the games I've already purchased are 'conveniently' discounted to a very low amount (~$1.5 per game for SNES). This seems..off to me, since with Nintendo's crazy epurchase strategy I can't even play them on the old Wii anymore. I guess my question is, what the gently caress, Nintendo? Apart from playing on the gamepad (I assume at least), is there any difference than just launching the Wii app and running them from there?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yeah you have to rebuy games to update them to the new VC. The updated ones run at a higher resolution, support all the Wii U controllers, and allow you to rebind keys and make a single manual savestate. Otherwise you just play them in Wii mode, and you can redownload them through the Wii mode eShop.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You actually can play on the gamepad from Wii mode, but oddly enough still need a Wii controller.

The main difference is the WiiU version has fully configurable buttons and a save state (separate from the normal state save you get from exiting via the home menu)

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Waltzing Along posted:

How are they easy to avoid? When you are running first, you don't get mushrooms. Unless it is getting to you right as you have some sort of boost available, you can't avoid them.

There's nothing good about any game design element that specifically is designed to make some players feel good about themselves by purposefully putting other players at a disadvantage simply because they are doing better.

So far I haven't seen ANY information on Battle Mode, I'm hoping they bring back a ton of old tracks.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Louisgod posted:

That's uhhhh kind of a big deal. What happens when 4 people play locally? Does it just poo poo itself?

It's the same as it was in MK Wii - 3/4-player splitscreen drops to 30FPS and they drop the texture quality and a few other little things. If you didn't notice it then you probably won't notice it now.

What annoys me more is that they didn't end up doing anything interesting with the Gamepad, again - off-tv play, motion control toggle and the goddamn horn, that's it. You can't even do 2p with one player using the Gamepad screen, as far as I know.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Elliotw2 posted:

Yeah you have to rebuy games to update them to the new VC. The updated ones run at a higher resolution, support all the Wii U controllers, and allow you to rebind keys and make a single manual savestate. Otherwise you just play them in Wii mode, and you can redownload them through the Wii mode eShop.

greatn posted:

You actually can play on the gamepad from Wii mode, but oddly enough still need a Wii controller.

The main difference is the WiiU version has fully configurable buttons and a save state (separate from the normal state save you get from exiting via the home menu)

Thanks, just making sure I wasn't missing anything. That seems really crappy to me, but eh.. if I really want to replay the few games I purchased through VC it's not a hassle at all to load the Wii menu (or pay up), it just seems like that should have been part of the transfer process.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 5, 2014

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Pretty much the only complaints I have about Blue Shells are what positions they spawn in.

The position you have to be to start getting them is so far back that they are almost useless to the people that get them because if you are that far back, you likely don't give a poo poo who is in first and would vastly prefer triple shells or bullet bill or something. You know, something that could actually help you get up a few places.

I guess it could be argued that how they track by ground and knock out anyone in their way to 1st place in MK64 and MK7 makes it not as bad, but in all my experience in MK7, it barely hit anyone when I used it.

I just think it would be better as an item that keeps its rarity, but gets bumped up to 2nd-4th place, where it would actually make some sort of difference to whoever gets it instead.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

GobiasIndustries posted:

Thanks, just making sure I wasn't missing anything. That seems really crappy to me, but eh.. if I really want to replay the few games I purchased through VC it's not a hassle at all to load the Wii menu (or pay up), it just seems like that should have been part of the transfer process.

It's pretty bad, but it's something resembling an attempt, as opposed to Wii U/3DS not sharing purchases at all or purchases being system locked.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fivegears4reverse posted:

There's nothing good about any game design element that specifically is designed to make some players feel good about themselves by purposefully putting other players at a disadvantage simply because they are doing better.

I don't think it's designed to make some players "feel good about themselves". It's designed to make the game fun. Fun is subjective, for sure, but MarioKart is a pretty successful series, so it seems to be fun for most people. You may simply fall outside the normal curve if all forms of fun must be hyper-competitive or have the effect of utterly crushing your opponent with your amazing skills. Games like that are only fun if you take them more seriously than MarioKart is really meant to be taken (see, yet again, Smash Bros arguments) and/or if all players are of similar skill-levels/ have the same number of gameplay-months of practice memorizing tracks and learning to exploit game mechanics (snaking, etc).

Maybe MarioKart is just too chill a game for you. There's nothing wrong with that. If they tried to please everyone, every game would suck.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Trent posted:

I don't think it's designed to make some players "feel good about themselves". It's designed to make the game fun. Fun is subjective, for sure, but MarioKart is a pretty successful series, so it seems to be fun for most people. You may simply fall outside the normal curve if all forms of fun must be hyper-competitive or have the effect of utterly crushing your opponent with your amazing skills. Games like that are only fun if you take them more seriously than MarioKart is really meant to be taken (see, yet again, Smash Bros arguments) and/or if all players are of similar skill-levels/ have the same number of gameplay-months of practice memorizing tracks and learning to exploit game mechanics (snaking, etc).

Maybe MarioKart is just too chill a game for you. There's nothing wrong with that. If they tried to please everyone, every game would suck.

This seems like a really big overreaction to what pretty much boiled down to "I don't like Blue Shells" especially considering hatred of Blue Shells is pretty much one of the best known things about the series at this point. Saying he's appreciating the game wrong because he holds this view seems kind of dumb.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Trent posted:

I think the main problem is the game's way of leveling the playing field for inexperienced human players inadvertently does the same to the AI opponents, which is where most of the aggravation from the Blue Shell arises from most likely.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Elliotw2 posted:

It's pretty bad, but it's something resembling an attempt, as opposed to Wii U/3DS not sharing purchases at all or purchases being system locked.

Oh lord, don't even get me started on unshared purchases...but yeah, for right now, at least they transferred is my take on the matter.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

So this is weird, when I launched Mario & Luigi, the Gameboy Player logo appeared. Is that how M2 is doing GBA emulation? They're using Gameboy Player code? No wonder they can release 3 a week.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

So this is weird, when I launched Mario & Luigi, the Gameboy Player logo appeared. Is that how M2 is doing GBA emulation? They're using Gameboy Player code? No wonder they can release 3 a week.

I think all of nintendo's first party titles that were released around the same time the GBP was released had that logo at the start, regardless of what you were playing it on.

SilverSupernova fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 5, 2014

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm not sure how useful Game Boy Player code could be, anyway. I'm pretty sure it worked by having actual GBA hardware inside the player, not by emulation.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Mario & Luigi had specific GB Player features, didn't it? Like, controller rumble or something.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

SilverSupernova posted:

I think all of nintendo's first party titles that were released around the same time the GBP was released had that logo at the start, regardless of what you were playing it on.
Yeah, this.

And yeah M&L had rumble on the Gameboy Player, and apparently even co-op?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

axleblaze posted:

This seems like a really big overreaction to what pretty much boiled down to "I don't like Blue Shells" especially considering hatred of Blue Shells is pretty much one of the best known things about the series at this point. Saying he's appreciating the game wrong because he holds this view seems kind of dumb.

Well, if I want to use marshmallows as fishing weights and complain that they're light and airy and float instead of sink, it's my fault for misclassifying them as a useful fishing weight.

MarioKart has had blue shells (and worse - lightningbolts over jumps and bullet bills) since like forever ago. It has rubberbanding, AIs that have different powers than PCs, etc etc etc. It has never ever been an Elite Skill Racer. It has always been a Fun Times And Random poo poo Racer. Complaining, at this point, that it has blue shells and poo poo seems like misclassifying the game in spite of a mountain of evidence.

I said it's totally cool if MarioKart isn't your bag, no shame in it, but it is what it is and random-ish "unfair" items are a basic part of it.

I guess people can turn them off in MK8, so maybe there will be a class of elite No Items Yoshi Only Final Destination players out there. Good for them. (seriously)

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

There were a few games for the GBA that had it appear for the time, most notably Mario and Luigi and Metroid Zer mission.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

A Yolo Wizard posted:

making racing awful.

Strange Matter posted:

I think you mean "Making Racing Even More Awesome."

Nothing like rocketing around Block Fort at 9000 mph in four player battle mode.

Trent posted:

MarioKart 64 awful? What?

Best battle mode ever (why haven't they been able to come even close since then?)

battle mode =/= racing, dummies

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Trent posted:

You may simply fall outside the normal curve if all forms of fun must be hyper-competitive or have the effect of utterly crushing your opponent with your amazing skills.

stop. there are plenty of ways of making multiplayer fun without ruining balance. one is called "make your matchmaking actually match correctly"

edit: the other one is, "unfuck the battle mode so people might want to play that when faced with the situation of having friends over that are better at driving virtual carts than they are"

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 5, 2014

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Electromax posted:

Just make the single player easier than Sonic, please. I'm a filthy casual who can't unlock the Golden Axe dwarf I want since I can't hardly beat any of the next star level of difficulty races :(

Maybe it's me but Sonic seems so loving hard at high difficulties.

Sonic's difficulty curve is so bad. It goes from the "fall asleep at the wheel" difficulty of Normal to the "gently caress you, time to practice your perfect lines through the course" of hard. The leap from Expert to Hard isn't anywhere as bad (in the races at least, gently caress Traffic Attack on Expert), if you can win a race on Hard you can win it on Expert.

It really helps on Sonic to play with a max speed character though at least for the races, speed seriously outclasses the other stats in a race to a ridiculous amount. Mario Kart is way more balanced in that aspect, mostly because you'll be hit by items more often, making acceleration more important.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I haven't played M&L:SS since I was in college maybe? But man it's so fast. I played Paper Mario last week and M&L:SS feels like I'm playing it in fast forward. Even Dream Team isn't this quick. You fuckin zoom around.

Oh I also played some of Wario Land Shake It and it is a legitimate Wario Land game unlike that POS master of disguise game. It's basically more Wario Land 4 but with crazy good animation, although the environments are a little blah. The music is kinda fun and light jazzy which is a bit odd for Wario but it's something different. You do have to shake the remote like in DKCR to pound the ground and there's very small accelerometer things but nothing incredibly intrusive. Its best use is that you can pick enemies up and shake them like crazy until they're a blur.

Nice thing is, you should be able to find the game for $10 used at Gamestops that still carry Wii games, as Shake It isn't one of the "stays $50 forever" Nintendo games.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nice thing is, you should be able to find the game for $10 used at Gamestops that still carry Wii games, as Shake It isn't one of the "stays $50 forever" Nintendo games.

Yeah Shake It is really good and i recommend it to anyone that missed out. The same devs are making Yarn Yoshi too.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

The same devs are making Yarn Yoshi too.

Oh yeah I forgot Kirby's Epic LittleBig Yoshi was still a thing. Wonder when we'll hear/see more about that.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

This is pretty interesting http://blog.beforemario.com/2014/04/another-beautiful-nintendo-company-guide.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

I find this both incredibly charming and also a little unsettling.

• Locked thread