Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Antti posted:

The fees would be for non-EU students*, so it'd be light blue with an asterisk like Scotland is in the map.

* for now, obviously

Don't most places have high fees for non-EU students? I know Edinburgh University has a lot of students from mainland China, and that they are a big money maker. A quick google suggest that non-EU students in Scotland are charged the full cost of the course, which ranges from £9,000 for humanities to £26,000 for medicine.

It's kind of funny that our special 'take advantage of new money Chinese students' prices are still cheaper than normal US tuition fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

marktheando posted:

Don't most places have high fees for non-EU students? I know Edinburgh University has a lot of students from mainland China, and that they are a big money maker. A quick google suggest that non-EU students in Scotland are charged the full cost of the course, which ranges from £9,000 for humanities to £26,000 for medicine.

It's kind of funny that our special 'take advantage of new money Chinese students' prices are still cheaper than normal US tuition fees.

On paper it seems nice, but our cost-cutting government is more thinking in the terms of "opening the issue". Besides outside-EU-issue, there has been talks on introducing a partial tuition fee for students who miss the "optimal study plan requirements" (something like getting at least 55 study credits per semester, 300 is the requirement for Master's). Knowing how things roll here, unfortunately it is only a matter of time and political spin work to get everyone into the program.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

On paper it seems nice, but our cost-cutting government is more thinking in the terms of "opening the issue". Besides outside-EU-issue, there has been talks on introducing a partial tuition fee for students who miss the "optimal study plan requirements" (something like getting at least 55 study credits per semester, 300 is the requirement for Master's). Knowing how things roll here, unfortunately it is only a matter of time and political spin work to get everyone into the program.

Oh absolutely, it's the thin end of the wedge. Education should be free for everybody. I was just surprised that charging non-EU students was apparently a new thing for Finland.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

marktheando posted:

Don't most places have high fees for non-EU students?

I don't know about other places but France has the same fees for EU and non-EU.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Soviet Commubot posted:

I don't know about other places but France has the same fees for EU and non-EU.

Ah, another addition to the list of reasons the UK is poo poo I guess.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

marktheando posted:

Oh absolutely, it's the thin end of the wedge. Education should be free for everybody. I was just surprised that charging non-EU students was apparently a new thing for Finland.

That's a nice sentiment to have, but the Austrian experience shows you get a lot of lazy fucks that take 10 years or longer to finish. Even a nominal fee is better than nothing. Plus, Austria/Belgium get German/French* free riders that will inevitably gently caress off back home.

*not entirely free for them, but still cheaper.

VV to clarify, the lazy fucks are the Austrians.

Riso fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 4, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oh, I see now why somebody told me that Riso is a straight up Austrian Nazi. I did not want to believe it :(

I'm curious, how do other countries handle this issue? Russia? China? India? Japan? Do they have fees for their native people?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Torrannor posted:

Oh, I see now why somebody told me that Riso is a straight up Austrian Nazi. I did not want to believe it :(

I'm curious, how do other countries handle this issue? Russia? China? India? Japan? Do they have fees for their native people?

I'll have to confirm with my girlfriend because she knows some people in the Chinese system but apparently there are fees for high school (albeit moderate ones), and there is an established system of applying for loans from the central bank. So I guess there is some sort of required payment, though I don't know what exactly.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Riso posted:

That's a nice sentiment to have, but the Austrian experience shows you get a lot of lazy fucks that take 10 years or longer to finish. Even a nominal fee is better than nothing. Plus, Austria/Belgium get German/French* free riders that will inevitably gently caress off back home.

This is something that's becoming a bit of a problem, however. German-language Spiegel article

When I studied in Vienna four years ago I met plenty of people in their late 20s/early 30s still milling around for their degrees. I can't say that's the norm of course, but they were certainly there. A nominal fee would probably do some good.

In any case that can't have it as bad as I do (~$50k in debt). The only thing that keeps me from breaking down when looking at that number is telling myself "It's just money." :shrug:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

TheImmigrant posted:

Not really. There are procedures for US-licensed lawyer to become licensed in England & Wales, or Australia, without having to get another degree, but it's not like waiving into DC. I've practiced immigration abroad, but I'm a solo (although probably joining a big Canadian company next month).

Unless you do immigration or bankruptcy, you're bound to whatever jurisdiction that licensed you. Business immigration (my practice) is the only way to market oneself abroad. Incoming law students like to fantasize about international law, but that doesn't really exist as a practice area in reality.

There are also quite a few firms in cities like Hong Kong and Singapore that hire US trained lawyers, since a lot of international contracts use US law. However, student loan debt is something that never, ever goes away, so unless you plan on immigrating permanently you have to keep paying.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

marktheando posted:

Course I'm taking next year is around 1000 euro for subsidized students (so every European) and 10.000 euros for those without.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Konstantin posted:

There are also quite a few firms in cities like Hong Kong and Singapore that hire US trained lawyers, since a lot of international contracts use US law. However, student loan debt is something that never, ever goes away, so unless you plan on immigrating permanently you have to keep paying.

Those are BigLaw jobs, and not realistically in reach for 90% of newly-admitted lawyers (i.e. the ones worried about debt). BigLaw starts at $160,000/year plus bonus in the major markets, but is only available to HYS (Harvard-Yale-Stanford) grads, or the top 5-10% of lesser schools. If your first job as a lawyer isn't in BigLaw, you're never going to work in BigLaw.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Riso posted:

So just cap it. If you've got three year courses you get four years of funding, in case you gently caress up, and you can apply for more in the event of a personal tragedy or injuries or whatever.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Mister Adequate posted:

So just cap it. If you've got three year courses you get four years of funding, in case you gently caress up, and you can apply for more in the event of a personal tragedy or injuries or whatever.

This sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
That's how it works in Scotland - you get five years of funding from SAAS at undergrad level (we have four year courses); plus the chance for more if you've had to drop out due to health issues; bereavement, etc. It'd be nice if they supported post-grad education more, but at least we're better than England!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Let us see.

This map is wrong. Look at the Netherlands, were I live.

• University fees are a few thousands per year.
    • Unless it's your second study, in that case you pay full price, which is a few ten thousands per year.
  • Students get a grant for the first few years of study (I could say 4 years but it'd be wrong tomorrow as they keep changing this law).
    • The grant depends on whether a student lives with their parents or not and their parents' income.
    • The grant is mostly meant to pay for food&lodging, but isn't enough to pay for either.
    • You can also get a loan at this point, if you like.
  • Students get a public transport card. It gives them free transport on some days, a reduced price on others. Different options are available, such as the free weekend card or the free weekdays card.
    • If you don't get a degree within 10 years, the grant + the public transport card costs will be turned into a loan and you're expected to pay everything back.
  • If your study takes longer than the grant period, which is true for basically everyone who wants a master's, the government grant office will offer you loans for the rest of your study time.
    • After you finish, you get a grace period.
    • After the grace period, you will be offered a plan to pay back the loan in monthly payments, so you are free of debt within a certain period (decade? two decades? not sure). It is allowed to pay back faster than that.
    • I heard, but haven't confirmed, that if you can prove you're unable to pay a monthly payment, the government will just acquit that part of the loan.

To summarize: if you manage to stay a poor gently caress after getting a degree, it's basically free. If you want to do a second study, you pay your rear end off. All options in between those extremes exist, too.

So, this map isn't accurate and should show a rainbow or something for my country.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Czech Republic isn't completely free either. I don't know all the details, but at the very least, if you take longer to graduate than some nominal length, you have to pay for it too.

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Kids in the street drinking wine, on the sidewalk.
Saving the plans that we made, 'till its night time.
Give me your glass, its your last, you're too wasted.
Or get me one too, 'cause I'm due any tasting.

Der Kyhe posted:

And while simultaneously there's this increased pressure from top to graduate in time from the same poeple who'd gladly also totally wreck the system to actually fund studies so more people would have to work and prolong their studies against their will.

It's the bee's knees to be a student in a country with actually good and accessible educational system and have it be on the mercy on people who are intentionally aiming it towards the shitter.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Riso posted:

There is a massive influx of Dutch students in Flanders, mostly because fees in the Netherlands are a lot higher and a lot of degrees in their system have a numerus clausus.

Though if Carbon dioxide is to be believed, the financial burden isn't that high after all.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Skeleton Jelly posted:

And while simultaneously there's this increased pressure from top to graduate in time from the same poeple who'd gladly also totally wreck the system
We constantly have politicians telling people that they should finish their studies faster here in Denmark, with policies directly supporting that goal. (Student grants only cover 12 semesters, plus a multiplier to your grade for the purpose of entry into your chosen education if you move on quickly to your tertiary education.) Unsurprisingly, the average time to complete their own education from the biggest supporters of this was something like 7 or 8 years if I recall, and that's ignoring the significant numbers of people who haven't finished their studies yet.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Unsurprisingly, the average time to complete their own education from the biggest supporters of this was something like 7 or 8 years if I recall, and that's ignoring the significant numbers of people who haven't finished their studies yet.

Yeah, that's exactly the case in Finland, right down to the politicians pushing for it having taken their long rear end time finishing their own studies. In their case it's usually because they spent all their time engaged in student and university politics!

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We constantly have politicians telling people that they should finish their studies faster here in Denmark, with policies directly supporting that goal. (Student grants only cover 12 semesters, plus a multiplier to your grade for the purpose of entry into your chosen education if you move on quickly to your tertiary education.) Unsurprisingly, the average time to complete their own education from the biggest supporters of this was something like 7 or 8 years if I recall, and that's ignoring the significant numbers of people who haven't finished their studies yet.

There is an economic incentive for the state to push for faster graduation as that will churn out skilled workers at a faster pace, every year spent by a student finishing up their degree is a year of lower contribution to taxes and pensions by said student.

12 semesters is still a very good cover, it would allow you to either take two separate bachelors, or a master with 1 years of "backup" time, which is pretty drat nice. Here in Sweden we have a similar system and I honestly do not see any real problem with it. The fact that people "pick the wrong degree" and quit 2 years in is unfortunate but there also has to be a limit on the amount of years you are eligible for support, where it should be can be discussed but 1 year is pretty fair in my opinion.

Also, here in Sweden it is free to study, and all students can get 240 weeks worth of government grants, but as this government grant is too low to pay for rent etc (~310 EUR/month) a great deal of students take extra government sponsored student loans (~900-1000 EUR/month) to pay for living expenses and such during their study time, and the amount of time you are eligible for these loans are tied to your 240 weeks of government grants.

The end result is that about 70% of all Swedish students end up with debt when studying.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Antti posted:

Yeah, that's exactly the case in Finland, right down to the politicians pushing for it having taken their long rear end time finishing their own studies. In their case it's usually because they spent all their time engaged in student and university politics!
The only moral delay is my delay!

Zudgemud posted:

There is an economic incentive for the state to push for faster graduation as that will churn out skilled workers at a faster pace, every year spent by a student finishing up their degree is a year of lower contribution to taxes and pensions by said student.

12 semesters is still a very good cover, it would allow you to either take two separate bachelors, or a master with 1 years of "backup" time, which is pretty drat nice. Here in Sweden we have a similar system and I honestly do not see any real problem with it. The fact that people "pick the wrong degree" and quit 2 years in is unfortunate but there also has to be a limit on the amount of years you are eligible for support, where it should be can be discussed but 1 year is pretty fair in my opinion.
Yeah, not complaining particularly about that, at least it has that extra year (for most degrees at least, some take longer than 10 semesters.) It was unlimited in the 90's though, and they're obviously trying to reduce it further, alongside any other kind of assistance.

Zudgemud posted:

Also, here in Sweden it is free to study, and all students can get 240 weeks worth of government grants, but as this government grant is too low to pay for rent etc (~310 EUR/month) a great deal of students take extra government sponsored student loans (~900-1000 EUR/month) to pay for living expenses and such during their study time, and the amount of time you are eligible for these loans are tied to your 240 weeks of government grants.

The end result is that about 70% of all Swedish students end up with debt when studying.
I wonder if the new EU ruling might push Swedes towards Denmark again, since we get far more money here, returning us to the days of them flooding our universities. Back in 2006, 4 out of 10 students accepted to medicine in Copenhagen and Odense were from Sweden and Norway, and you saw similar stats in other places, though this number was reduced by a third when we introduced a new grade scale. The old one featured a top grade that was essentially not even in play, and the next highest grade was also given out far less liberally than the comparable grade in other countries, which made it very easy for Norwegians and Swedes to look good compared to their Danish counterparts. To give a sense of the shift, the school I went to has seen the entry requirement change from 9 on a 13 point scale, to 10 on a 12 point scale.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

There is a massive influx of Dutch students in Flanders, mostly because fees in the Netherlands are a lot higher and a lot of degrees in their system have a numerus clausus.

Though if Carbon dioxide is to be believed, the financial burden isn't that high after all.

Well, things used to be a lot better in the Netherlands. Not strange that people are complaining. On top of that, there's often extra grants available for people who spend part of their studies abroad.

Oh and by the way, the exact same story, politicians who spent way too long finishing their studies making policies to push students to finish faster - even if that's impossible. They don't seem to realize that some studies, such as those in Technical Universities, simply cannot be finished in a nominal time.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Map of Indo-European migration and the expansion of Indo-European languages.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

While interesting, that map could benefit from better formatting.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The only moral delay is my delay!

Yeah, not complaining particularly about that, at least it has that extra year (for most degrees at least, some take longer than 10 semesters.) It was unlimited in the 90's though, and they're obviously trying to reduce it further, alongside any other kind of assistance.

I wonder if the new EU ruling might push Swedes towards Denmark again, since we get far more money here, returning us to the days of them flooding our universities. Back in 2006, 4 out of 10 students accepted to medicine in Copenhagen and Odense were from Sweden and Norway, and you saw similar stats in other places, though this number was reduced by a third when we introduced a new grade scale. The old one featured a top grade that was essentially not even in play, and the next highest grade was also given out far less liberally than the comparable grade in other countries, which made it very easy for Norwegians and Swedes to look good compared to their Danish counterparts. To give a sense of the shift, the school I went to has seen the entry requirement change from 9 on a 13 point scale, to 10 on a 12 point scale.

I'm pretty sure you read that specific situation a bit wrong, people did not study medicine in Denmark because the Swedish university system was that horrible or expensive (though the grading scale differences most likely factor in), they did it because Sweden have had a pretty crap policy for training medical doctors, with not enough places in the educational system to accommodate the domestic need. So a lot of Swedish students that wanted to study medicine have had to study abroad even to just fulfill the domestic demand for medical doctors, and Denmark is close and have a very good and compatible medical education soooo... :shobon:

I don't know if I understand your position either but as far as I know when you study abroad you get grant/loan money from your home country and you can not utilize the study benefits of the host country unless you are a citizen of the host country. If you mean you simply throw more money at your universities then that might very well be true I guess.

Nyarlothotep
Apr 14, 2007
Don't fail to see Nyarlathotep if he comes to Providence. He is horrible — horrible beyond anything you can imagine — but wonderful. He haunts one for hours afterward. I am still shuddering at what he showed.
For what it's worth, the penalty instituted by the Dutch government for those who took too long getting their degrees was abolished not even a year after it was passed, and polls showed that the proposed loan-only system the new education secretary wanted to introduce would cause so many prospective students to not even consider going to university that it's now apparantly being 'restructured'. So, a few bright points at least.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

I'm pretty sure you read that specific situation a bit wrong, people did not study medicine in Denmark because the Swedish university system was that horrible or expensive (though the grading scale differences most likely factor in), they did it because Sweden have had a pretty crap policy for training medical doctors, with not enough places in the educational system to accommodate the domestic need. So a lot of Swedish students that wanted to study medicine have had to study abroad even to just fulfill the domestic demand for medical doctors, and Denmark is close and have a very good and compatible medical education soooo... :shobon:
You misunderstand me. I see two things in play: Swedish students' desire to become medical doctors, and the (formerly) easy acceptance into medical school (and everything else) in Denmark, due to majorly depressed Danish grades in our old system. That naturally lead to Swedes easily filling up spots, ahead of Danes who had performed just as well or better but were graded more harshly. Following the grading reform, the desire is still there, but it's not as easy to get in.

Zudgemud posted:

I don't know if I understand your position either but as far as I know when you study abroad you get grant/loan money from your home country and you can not utilize the study benefits of the host country unless you are a citizen of the host country. If you mean you simply throw more money at your universities then that might very well be true I guess.
The EU has just ruled that the country you're studying in should treat you like their own citizens when it comes to this stuff, ergo, the desire to study in Denmark might get boosted when Swedes realize they can get more money here than at home. The barrier to entry is still bigger than it used to be, but it might be more attractive to the Swedish students who can overcome it. Obviously they still have to deal with the entry requirements though.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Most popular football clubs in France

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Where does the map come from?

3peat
May 6, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Where does the map come from?

From another forum. I don't know if it's accurate but from what I know OM is by far the most popular team in France and they probably have more fans than all other teams combined, yet I find it hilarious they would be more popular than PSG in Paris. I guess that makes sense only if you go by political allegiances, considering OM is the leftist team while PSG is the right-wing, snobs' team?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's also sadly hilarious that the PSG is the more popular team in the Centre region (where I live) instead of one of the local clubs. We're so clearly dominated by the capital culturally.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Map of Governorates of Livonia and Estonia. On a scale of 40 versts. :allears:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

3peat posted:

Most popular football clubs in France

Olympique de Marseille is more popular than PSG in Paris?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's hard to tell considering how it's cut into regions instead of departments.

Being from Paris' suburbs though, Marseille is indeed pretty popular.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 6, 2014

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

It's hard to tell considering how it's cut into regions instead of departments.

Being from Paris' suburbs though, Marseille is indeed pretty popular.

I'm sure it would make a lot more sense on the departmental level. I have a very hard time believe that Rennes is more popular than Lorient in Finisterre and Guingamp in Côtes d'Armor.

King of Hamas
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

Why aren't you rioting?

Because in America violence is never used as a solution to problems (cut to laugh track)

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

quote:

Where's Ukraine? Each dot depicts the location where a U.S. survey respondent situated Ukraine; the dots are colored based on how far removed they are from the actual country, with the most accurate responses in red and the least accurate ones in blue. (Data: Survey Sampling International; Figure: Thomas Zeitzoff/The Monkey Cage)

The less Americans know about Ukraine's location, the more they want U.S. to intervene

e:Apparently the Awful App can't handle apostrophes.

Honj Steak fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

It's very interesting that there is a straight line corresponding to some line of latitude in the middle of Russia & Western China. People (mostly) seem to know it's in Europe or maybe the Middle East and not Asia, and that's reflected on this map. That's pretty neat.