Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Tom Lennon's impression of Hulk Hogan's bad french accent in the latest HDTGM really got me. Not sure how I feel about the episode overall, but I wasn't paying too close attention for parts of it.

D'accord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Yivgev posted:

Tom Lennon's impression of Hulk Hogan's bad french accent in the latest HDTGM really got me. Not sure how I feel about the episode overall, but I wasn't paying too close attention for parts of it.

D'accord.

Yeah that was really good. I listened to the WHM No Holds Barred episode right after the HDTGM one and they both hit very similar notes but in their own way. A good doubleheader.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Yivgev posted:

D'ackerd.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Infamous Sphere/anyone else who might care, we decided to talk about the weird, weird Keanu Reeves movie The Watcher this week on Alcohollywood! Also, Infamous Sphere made some awesome fanart for us:

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Let me just say I am so glad that you reviewed this - and you did a much better job than I did when I reviewed it. For one thing, you pick up on all these plot holes that I forgot about, like....why the hell he moves to Chicago, and what's with the drugs he takes, and...what even. I'd say there's no words for The Watcher, but I have said so many words about The Watcher since I watched it first, so I guess there...are a lot of words for it. So many, probably because it's just so bizarre and unfathomable and crazy. One of the first episodes of my internet review show was a review of The Watcher, but sadly my on-camera skill wasn't particularly good, so it's probably best left un-linked. In that review I evaluated The Watcher almost more as a bizarro gay movie than as a serial killer movie, so you've brought up a lot of points that I didn't think that much about.

I never even knew who did the cinematography! I guess it just goes to show how much a terrible director can gently caress up the whole film.
This was actually the first film I ever saw James Spader in. I didn't even know who he was before this, and so for quite a while I thought of Spader as "that lame guy from The Watcher," which I'm sure you'd agree is very, very sad.

I originally described Keanu's accent/delivery as "the voice of a lobotomised gay robot." I referred to the "killer vision" as "Keanuvision", and decided that he had cheap camcorders for eyes. When you talked about the phone call, I thought you were about to say "every time Keanu and James Spader have a conversation, they have terrible phone sex." It really wouldn't be that much of a stretch, given how terrible The Watcher is. Man, what a sick bromance it was.

I didn't pick up on the Chicago connection, I'd laugh if, say, SNAP! was still there (if it ever existed.)
There's just stuff about the movie that I loving love, like the get well card that says "Sorry for your loss. BECAUSE WE'RE FRIENDS" - as if you wouldn't send someone a sympathy card to express sympathy if they weren't your friend, and you're only sorry if they're your friend. There's so much wrong with the movie it's just the perfect bad movie for me, in every way, and I'd love to do your drinking game if I get the chance (too bad very few of my friends think The Watcher is as hilarious and amazing as I do.)

I personally think that The Watcher WOULD have been a generic crime thriller..if they hadn't cast Keanu Reeves, and if Joel Charbanic wasn't so incompetent. It's the inclusion of Keanu that really lifts this movie from genericness, to Lobotomised Gay Robot Keanu madness. While it looks like a legit movie, and technically is a legit movie, it does just about everything wrong, so I think you can class it in the same category as something like The Room. I mean things like the toilet...most people would have just used a brick for that scene! It's almost like Charbanic TRIED to be as bizarre and bad as he could.

I must admit that I'm very surprised that you didn't have "What I need, Joel...is YOU" as your finish your drink line. That's the wham line of the whole movie! Keanu had a gay crush on Joel THE WHOLE TIME (not that it wasn't obvious.)

Your theory about the snippets of movies stuck together made a lot of sense. My personal theory is that the whole of The Watcher is just a dream that James Spader had about his boyfriend, Keanu, and there's a scene at the end where he wakes up and he's like "God, I had this terrible dream, where you were this weird serial killer and you just kept..chasing me, and dancing, and...." - because it's sort of disjointed and crap, like a dream you'd have about someone you knew, and it's stupid and nonsensical - like a dream you'd have about someone you know, and wake up and go "what the gently caress was that?" (And then you'd probably resolve never to tell the person that you'd dreamt about them.) My other theory is that the movie is very similar to The Dark Knight, with Keanu being the Joker, and Joel being Batman, and Marisa Tomei being Rachel Dawes (there's even the warehouse and the flaming crap!)

God, I didn't even remember that Keanu got shot in the shoulder. It's pretty astounding that this movie was done after Keanu's Matrix success. A movie about John Serial probably would have been better.

Oh god, Chain Reaction was hilarious. Morgan Freeman with his glowing blue science! The fact that Keanu Reeves and Rachel Weisz looked the same, and had the exact same haircut! Amazing! But I still like The Watcher better.

tl:dr; I am dangerously amused by The Watcher.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Infamous Sphere posted:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Infamous Sphere posted:

Let me just say I am so glad that you reviewed this - and you did a much better job than I did when I reviewed it. For one thing, you pick up on all these plot holes that I forgot about, like....why the hell he moves to Chicago, and what's with the drugs he takes, and...what even. I'd say there's no words for The Watcher, but I have said so many words about The Watcher since I watched it first, so I guess there...are a lot of words for it. So many, probably because it's just so bizarre and unfathomable and crazy. One of the first episodes of my internet review show was a review of The Watcher, but sadly my on-camera skill wasn't particularly good, so it's probably best left un-linked. In that review I evaluated The Watcher almost more as a bizarro gay movie than as a serial killer movie, so you've brought up a lot of points that I didn't think that much about.

I never even knew who did the cinematography! I guess it just goes to show how much a terrible director can gently caress up the whole film.
This was actually the first film I ever saw James Spader in. I didn't even know who he was before this, and so for quite a while I thought of Spader as "that lame guy from The Watcher," which I'm sure you'd agree is very, very sad.

I originally described Keanu's accent/delivery as "the voice of a lobotomised gay robot." I referred to the "killer vision" as "Keanuvision", and decided that he had cheap camcorders for eyes. When you talked about the phone call, I thought you were about to say "every time Keanu and James Spader have a conversation, they have terrible phone sex." It really wouldn't be that much of a stretch, given how terrible The Watcher is. Man, what a sick bromance it was.

I didn't pick up on the Chicago connection, I'd laugh if, say, SNAP! was still there (if it ever existed.)
There's just stuff about the movie that I loving love, like the get well card that says "Sorry for your loss. BECAUSE WE'RE FRIENDS" - as if you wouldn't send someone a sympathy card to express sympathy if they weren't your friend, and you're only sorry if they're your friend. There's so much wrong with the movie it's just the perfect bad movie for me, in every way, and I'd love to do your drinking game if I get the chance (too bad very few of my friends think The Watcher is as hilarious and amazing as I do.)

I personally think that The Watcher WOULD have been a generic crime thriller..if they hadn't cast Keanu Reeves, and if Joel Charbanic wasn't so incompetent. It's the inclusion of Keanu that really lifts this movie from genericness, to Lobotomised Gay Robot Keanu madness. While it looks like a legit movie, and technically is a legit movie, it does just about everything wrong, so I think you can class it in the same category as something like The Room. I mean things like the toilet...most people would have just used a brick for that scene! It's almost like Charbanic TRIED to be as bizarre and bad as he could.

I must admit that I'm very surprised that you didn't have "What I need, Joel...is YOU" as your finish your drink line. That's the wham line of the whole movie! Keanu had a gay crush on Joel THE WHOLE TIME (not that it wasn't obvious.)

Your theory about the snippets of movies stuck together made a lot of sense. My personal theory is that the whole of The Watcher is just a dream that James Spader had about his boyfriend, Keanu, and there's a scene at the end where he wakes up and he's like "God, I had this terrible dream, where you were this weird serial killer and you just kept..chasing me, and dancing, and...." - because it's sort of disjointed and crap, like a dream you'd have about someone you knew, and it's stupid and nonsensical - like a dream you'd have about someone you know, and wake up and go "what the gently caress was that?" (And then you'd probably resolve never to tell the person that you'd dreamt about them.) My other theory is that the movie is very similar to The Dark Knight, with Keanu being the Joker, and Joel being Batman, and Marisa Tomei being Rachel Dawes (there's even the warehouse and the flaming crap!)

God, I didn't even remember that Keanu got shot in the shoulder. It's pretty astounding that this movie was done after Keanu's Matrix success. A movie about John Serial probably would have been better.

Oh god, Chain Reaction was hilarious. Morgan Freeman with his glowing blue science! The fact that Keanu Reeves and Rachel Weisz looked the same, and had the exact same haircut! Amazing! But I still like The Watcher better.

same

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Elliot's monologue on The Conversation on this week's flophouse episode was amazing.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

rear end Backwards is on Netflix. Ironically, it's perfect for How Did This Made. I had to turn it off 25 minutes in, leaving me to wonder how a movie written by and starring such funny people could be soooooo bad. The tone and editing and directing are wildly off balance, but ultimately the written material is really weak.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm not a lady so clearly I'm not the target audience, but the only joke in rear end Backwards that got a laugh out of me was the one with the gravestones saying June Diane Raphael and Casey Wilson were 29.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
rear end Backwards was like a crude Romy and Michelle, only nowhere near as good. I was disappointed, I love Casey Wilson and June.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
They sounded so sincere when they were promoting it. I'd be surprised if it got the HDTGM treatment. Would the other podcasts not cover it out of professional courtesy?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It should be their duty to cover it. Getting on top of it and showing some humility could only help things. Not every film can be a winner, and it would probably earn June a lot of respect if she came out and just admitted "Hey, it sucked, what can I say."

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
It happens. I mean one of the main guys from MST3K made Meet Dave for God's sake.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I had to turn it off 25 minutes in

You missed how completely off-the-rails it goes in the third act. The whole pageant is completely insane and has some really funny moments within the absurdity of it all. As a whole, though, it's definitely lacking. It felt like a much longer movie than it really was and the time they spend apart in particular plays really slowly. It's pretty bad but it's not embarrassingly awful imo.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

The whole riff on the California Raisins on the newest Flophouse made me cry with laughter.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The Duke posted:

The whole riff on the California Raisins on the newest Flophouse made me cry with laughter.

Both that and the Russo-Italian folklore tangent floored me. They went totally off the reservation this week, which does tend to happen when there's nothing in the movie to talk about.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This week's WHM made me really miss the glory days of the video arcade. :(

On the plus side, the whole movie is up on YouTube so you can revel in the nostalgia.

e: Apparently it was just uploaded like a month ago. That's lucky!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Oh man, I just re-listened to the Invisible Child episode of WHM. I think that may be my favorite, even more than Hider in the House and Boys and Girls. It just hits the highest levels of crazy you could ever expect for a bad Lifetime movie.

Also I miss when they used pop music that describes the theme of the movie instead of their own theme music. I understand why they did it, but I miss the old way.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 9, 2014

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Infamous Sphere posted:

:words:

Thanks for the comment! (sorry it's so late, it took me awhile to get around to responding)

Yeah, we were definitely taken aback by the movie, and since Jared had accidentally double-booked himself on another podcast we just ran with the "Keanu kidnapped him" thing, and we might have been able to use his perspective on this episode. Still, we had a blast reviewing it, and when Jared came over the next day to record the intro/outro/drink hostage video I showed him the final scene, the cemetery scene and the lighting-his-own-car-hood-on-fire scene. Jared simply replied that he was glad he could sit that one out.

That FYD line is probably a better one, honestly, but so often our eyes would just glaze over at the sameyness of the over-the-top yet somehow banal dialogue, we just decided to end it on that note.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Pretty much everyone I've introduced to The Watcher has had a different opinion of it (and everyone I know who's watched it...has done so because I've told them to. It's not an especially well known movie, and most people I know were a bit too young to be tricked into seeing it in theatres, like Kevin from Yeah, it's That Bad was. I tried to convince him to review it, but I was unsuccessful). It's one of those movies where there's just about no universal reaction to it, and yours doesn't break the pattern.

I think how you feel about the movie sort of depends on what you were expecting going in and what you wanted to get out of it. The first time I watched it, my friend and I were like "so I've heard about this ridiculous homoerotic movie where Keanu is a gay dancing serial killer, let's watch it!" So, since we didn't know or care who James Spader was at the time, we were just focussing on Keanu, and his weird crush on Spader, whom...in this movie...really isn't much of a catch (he's tired looking and a drug addict), so for us it was hilarious. From the sounds of it, you were watching it more like it was a proper crime film, and you know who Spader is and have memories of him in better things, so for you it was probably a lot less funny and a lot more awful.
I told another friend to watch it, and she just thought it was Ok, and not that bad. I showed another friend, and he didn't even get how it could possibly be funny, probably because he wasn't paying much attention. And another reviewer and his brother watched it, and they also agreed it was ridiculous and hilarious.

Since I review queer movies, whenever a weird killer/stalker movie comes up, I have the opportunity to compare it to The Watcher, which is always special. Believe it or not, while it was made by legitimate directors (well, it was made by a legitimate cinematographer), Windows is an even worse and far more boring version of a similar kind of story, and is probably the worst and most offensive "legitimate" movie I've ever seen (and reviewed) - and in terms of character reactions it makes even less sense than The Watcher. I've often thought about trying to get bad movie podcasts to review Windows, but I don't enjoy hearing about it nearly as much, so probably not.

I really enjoyed the kidnapped by Keanu subplot, it definitely fit with the special nature of the movie. Oh, also...Keanu stole that girl's cat so he could sit in the car and stroke it evilly because why not. It's like a cliche lasagna. You go "Wow, I can't believe you really went there, Joe Charbanic! That's so amazingly stupid I didn't think anyone would actually do it...but there you are!"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hewlett posted:

Thanks for the comment! (sorry it's so late, it took me awhile to get around to responding)

Yeah, we were definitely taken aback by the movie, and since Jared had accidentally double-booked himself on another podcast we just ran with the "Keanu kidnapped him" thing, and we might have been able to use his perspective on this episode. Still, we had a blast reviewing it, and when Jared came over the next day to record the intro/outro/drink hostage video I showed him the final scene, the cemetery scene and the lighting-his-own-car-hood-on-fire scene. Jared simply replied that he was glad he could sit that one out.

That FYD line is probably a better one, honestly, but so often our eyes would just glaze over at the sameyness of the over-the-top yet somehow banal dialogue, we just decided to end it on that note.

Just wanted to say that I finally went and checked out your show, and I'm now working my way through the archive. It's awesome and it's among my favorite podcasts now.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Not very far into newest Flop House but the 'potential starring roles for Kevin Hart' riff made me laugh very hard.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Just wanted to say that I finally went and checked out your show, and I'm now working my way through the archive. It's awesome and it's among my favorite podcasts now.

Thanks so much! (Y'all should follow suit :ssh:)

Be wary of our earliest episodes; we're pretty sloppy at first, but I'd say I'm pretty proud of the work we do from about episode 51 on without fail.

By the way, we just released our Bicentennial Man episode a few days ago, so check that out too!

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
I can't find any confirmation beyond some mentions on Twitter, but it looks like We Hate Movies and The Flop House are teaming up?

Production
Jun 11, 2001

SilentChaz posted:

I can't find any confirmation beyond some mentions on Twitter, but it looks like We Hate Movies and The Flop House are teaming up?

Dan mentioned that they're going to cover Every Which Way but Loose and Any Which Way You Can in the same week. At least, I remember them both covering installments of a series of orangutan (and NOT CHIMP) movies.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

quote:

rear end Backwards

See also: Freak Dance, Hell Baby

Making movies is hard.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Dark Weasel posted:

Making movies is hard.

Well, good movies. Now that everything's digital, any idiot can make a bad movie.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Dark Weasel posted:

Making movies is hard.

Hell Baby wasn't that bad but Freakdance was a piece of poo poo.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Alright you guys convinced me to give it another shot and I'm back on the Flophouse train. I hold to the stance that it's a great half hour podcast and a really annoying hour long podcast though.

The California Raisins bit floored me.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Popelmon posted:

Hell Baby wasn't that bad but Freakdance was a piece of poo poo.

Hell Baby is fantastic if only for the Po' boy scene.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

The Duke posted:

Hell Baby is fantastic if only for the Po' boy scene.

There are so many individually fantastic things in that movie and as a whole it doesn't work, but I also don't think they set out to make a movie that works.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Dark Weasel posted:

Making movies is hard.
All three of these are better than the one where Ken Marino poops a murderous shitdemonbaby.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

We Hate Movies and the Flop House are doing one movie each of the Clint Eastwood ape classics Any Which Way But Loose and Any Which Way You Can.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

We Hate Movies and the Flop House are doing one movie each of the Clint Eastwood ape classics Any Which Way But Loose and Any Which Way You Can.

Correction: WHM did Every Which Way but Loose.

Here's how to remember the difference:

In 1978, everyone but me saw Every Which Way but Loose.
Two years later, anybody who could saw Any Which Way You Can.

Edit: They were both massive commercial successes. That must have been a strange era in film.

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Apr 29, 2014

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

RagingBoner posted:

Edit: They were both massive commercial successes. That must have been a strange era in film.

I thought that too, but look at this list of 1970s highest grossing movies: http://www.teako170.com/box70-79.html

It's mostly Bond films, Godfather 1 + 2, Rocky movies, Star Wars, and other movies that are still considered classics. Nothing really too bizarre or unexpected. And then... This movie.

Why did everyone want to see a movie where Clint Eastwood beats people up and has an ape? Who is the demographic? I have no clue.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
I can see the appeal when you say it like that.

Also, dude, there's plenty of weird poo poo in this list.

"Behind the Green Door" and "Pink Flamingos"? loving "Faces of Death"? Clint Eastwood and Clyde the Orangutan vs. the World seems downright pedestrian.

Also Clint was one of the biggest stars of that era, and a lot of his movies are on the list ("Dirty Harry", "Magnum Force", "High Plains Drifter").

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Also, sometimes, some days, you just want to watch an ape drink a beer.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

The Unnamed One posted:

I can see the appeal when you say it like that.

Also, dude, there's plenty of weird poo poo in this list.

"Behind the Green Door" and "Pink Flamingos"? loving "Faces of Death"? Clint Eastwood and Clyde the Orangutan vs. the World seems downright pedestrian.

Also Clint was one of the biggest stars of that era, and a lot of his movies are on the list ("Dirty Harry", "Magnum Force", "High Plains Drifter").

Faces of Death is a weird bird. It's one of those movies you see on the list and get shocked but then you think about it and it makes perfect sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Drunkboxer posted:

Also, sometimes, some days, you just want to watch an ape drink a beer.

All the time, every day, really.