Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Amykinz posted:

Plus, what do you do with them afterwards?

Uhh, you go outside, throw them up into the air, and have everyone shoot them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Amykinz posted:

Depending on how many people you're having, I'd still rent it. The rental places here will pick up dirty(but scraped clean) dishes/silverware/tablecloths/napkins and what have you, and wash them for you. Do you really want to have you/your family and friends gathering up tubs of dirty dishes that someone has to take home and wash after your wedding? Plus, what do you do with them afterwards?

this

we debated everything from buying tablecloths outright to buying our flatware. in the end it might have saved/accounted for like 1% of our total wedding spending. not worth even messing with. either give people disposable flatware for even cheaper, or pay someone else to think about/ care about / take care of it all. trying to "save money" by buying cooking / service equipment is an exercise in futility. either figure out how you can make it so you don't need the equipment, or rent it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
On a related note, years ago my mother got together with some friends and together they bought crockery for a lot if people; 60 maybe? They each kept a few boxes and when it was needed for big events it would be assembled. Pretty clever.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

My family does a similar thing on a much smaller scale for potlucks. We have a huge family and rent a hall for every holiday to have a potluck, and this massive 3x3 foot box full of cups, napkins, plates and utensils gets passed around to whoever's hosting it that holiday. The next person in line replenishes the stock, since they usually get the kit at the end of the previous potluck which is usually months away from the next one. It's gotten pretty efficient over the years.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Clavietika posted:

My family does a similar thing on a much smaller scale for potlucks. We have a huge family and rent a hall for every holiday to have a potluck, and this massive 3x3 foot box full of cups, napkins, plates and utensils gets passed around to whoever's hosting it that holiday. The next person in line replenishes the stock, since they usually get the kit at the end of the previous potluck which is usually months away from the next one. It's gotten pretty efficient over the years.

That's pretty cool. What kind of food?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have been looking into getting into fishing as a hobby as I live right bt the Chesapeake bay and have tons and tons of weekdays off.

The snag is, I have never cleaned and prepped a fish and have maybe cooked a whole fish twice in my life, only once with any success. Can anyone recommend a good guide to this stuff? The cooking I am less worried about but the cleaning and prep has me at a loss.

There is a lady at the local farmers markets who does a to of smoked fish stuff and charges a fortune for it. I so dearly want to make my own smoked fish for less then $10 for a tiny rear end trout.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Whack it sharply across the head to stun with something suitable, like the hilt of a heavy knife (sheathed) or a little club, cut the head halfway off from the belly side and up. Insert a sharp knife edge-side up into the cavity and open right back to the rear end in a top hat. Peel the guts out carefully, don't let anything from the intestine spill out onto the fish. Clean thoroughly.

Good loving luck.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Well that wasn't very romantic. :(

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

It is when you remember your dad teaching you how to do it :3:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bunnielab posted:

Well that wasn't very romantic. :(

The don't whack it over the head. Take it out to dinner, get it drunk, and then when it passes out, cut off it's head and gut it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
But that will put me over my $10 target!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Also, is there any chance a "normal" fish market will be able to sell me an uncleaned fish so I can practice? I guess I could drive to an H-mart that has live fish in tanks.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bunnielab posted:

Also, is there any chance a "normal" fish market will be able to sell me an uncleaned fish so I can practice? I guess I could drive to an H-mart that has live fish in tanks.

Hopefully not. Unless you get the fish alive, you want it cleaned very shortly after its deadened.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
So like, if I go somewhere with live fish do I need to gut it in the parking lot or can it survive a 45m ride home?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yeah, and half the experience is doing it by the waterside.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

If you want to just practice fish gutting, look for whole frozen. My local Asian market sells anchovies and sardines and stuff frozen, guts-in. Defrost under running cold water and have at it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

bartolimu posted:

If you want to just practice fish gutting, look for whole frozen. My local Asian market sells anchovies and sardines and stuff frozen, guts-in. Defrost under running cold water and have at it.

Hah, do I use an exacto-knife to gut a sardine or what?

There is a like a 1/2 acre pond on the farm I live on, assuming no weird exotics have made it in, are any freshwater fish in MD not safe to eat?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

bunnielab posted:

Hah, do I use an exacto-knife to gut a sardine or what?

There is a like a 1/2 acre pond on the farm I live on, assuming no weird exotics have made it in, are any freshwater fish in MD not safe to eat?

I wouldn't gently caress around with any pickerel, pike, or gar. Greasy, boney, and slimy. Safe to eat? Yeah. Worth your time at all? No. Since you have a little half acre farm pond, I bet it's got some panfish in it. Crappie, blue gill, and perch are all good eatin.' Easy to catch and clean, filleting will take a bit of practice, but it's not hard. Maryland's got some trout, so I'd go after them. Super easy to clean (when they're little like rainbows), and lovely flavor. Knife from cloaca to gills, scoop out the guts, and chop off the head. Then throw that poo poo in a pan with the skin on with a little oil and season. Easy peasy. Also, the only catfish I'd really consider eating in your situation is a blue catfish. It's in that sweet spot of size generally where it's tasty and worth breaking down. Cats are a pain in the rear end because you pretty much have to peel its skin off before you gut and fillet. As it turns out, there's only one good way to skin a cat - a special pair of plyers, grip, and rip.

Here's Ramsay skinning a catfish

e: and no, I didn't see anything on this list that's harmful http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_freshwater_fishes_of_Maryland. Eat a snakehead!

Eat This Glob fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 4, 2014

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Hah, awesome, thanks man. I am going to go buy some crappy tackle set at Dick's next week I think and see what I can catch.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you're gonna be fishing for little panfish and poo poo, get ultralight tackle. Makes it a lot more fun.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

I wouldn't gently caress around with any pickerel, pike, or gar. Greasy, boney, and slimy.

Just make sure no one around you calls walleye pickerel or pike. Walleye is good eats, man.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Casu Marzu posted:

Just make sure no one around you calls walleye pickerel or pike. Walleye is good eats, man.

Sure is! Had it for dinner tonight. Didn't know that was a thing where walleye was called something other than walleye.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

Sure is! Had it for dinner tonight. Didn't know that was a thing where walleye was called something other than walleye.

Yeah, I've heard some weird names for walleye before when I leave the upper midwest.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Do you really use Olive Oil to blacken meat and expect it to taste good? Do chefs use some sort of super refined version or something? At that point I'd imagine it wouldn't taste like anything. Or do the spices and wine hide the taste of burned oil?

Or are my temps off and it's actually okay to do that stuff with Olive Oil?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 5, 2014

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Sysco carries a soybean/olive blend that pretty much everyone uses. Generally just call it olive oil.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

congrats drifter, you cracked the case, 14-michelin-star-having gordon ramsay doesn't know what kind of oil to use on a fish

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

congrats drifter, you cracked the case, 14-michelin-star-having gordon ramsay doesn't know what kind of oil to use on a fish

Using olive oil on high heat to blacken anything, fish or whatever, is a bad and dumb idea, whether a tire company backs your acumen or not, imo. Way better oils to suit his purpose, again, imo.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

it is entirely doable, even ignoring the fact that it's likely a refined oil blend that has a higher smoke point than the stuff you would use in a vinaigrette

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

it is entirely doable, even ignoring the fact that it's likely a refined oil blend that has a higher smoke point than the stuff you would use in a vinaigrette
Which is funny, because in that video he literally makes a vinaigrette out of the same oil he uses on the catfish.

And at the risk of sounding like a purist here, he's not actually blackening those catfish. In order to do that you need to use unclarified butter; the browning of the butter is one of the essential moving parts of the traditional Cajun blackening method.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

SubG posted:

Which is funny, because in that video he literally makes a vinaigrette out of the same oil he uses on the catfish.

Yeah, but I am literally 100% sure he's using the same blended oil that all of use that we call "olive oil"

It's just a thing you do. When I tell the new guy to get me some olive oil, I mean the blend, not the extra virgin.

e: true cajun blackening doesn't work that way either. You season, then drench your protein in melted butter, then pour more butter on later. It's not the same as butter in the pan, then sear. Generally, nobody blackens with butter because the margin for error is much smaller, oil is safer and more consistent.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 5, 2014

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Yeah, but I am literally 100% sure he's using the same blended oil that all of use that we call "olive oil"
I'm not disagreeing. EAT THE EGGS RICOLA just said that it's different than the stuff you'd use in a vinaigrette.

I mean I'm not sure that I buy the argument anyway---I mean maybe that particular show is different, but I'm not sure that I'd expect a random celebrity chef telling the television audience to use olive oil should be read the same way your comments to the new guy in your kitchen should be read. But that really doesn't have anything to do with my comments.

e: true cajun blackening doesn't work that way either. You season, then drench your protein in melted butter, then pour more butter on later. It's not the same as butter in the pan, then sear. Generally, nobody blackens with butter because the margin for error is much smaller, oil is safer and more consistent.
`Nobody' may blacken with butter, but it is absolutely the traditional Cajun approach to the dish, and it's the one popularised by Paul Prudhomme back in the '80s.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Cut the slap fight, girls. If your fat goes black you're eating carbon. Gimme a go cup and we'll take it to the street.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
olive oil has a lower smoke point than other oils, but the oil is gonna smoke no matter what when you're blackening. I don't see why it matters - every oil when it smokes is gonna take on a very particular 'oh you burnt this oil' flavor.

I'd agree with subg, but the kind of heat I've always cooked with re: blackening, would just make butter taste acrid instantly. I don't disagree that browned butter makes for a good blackened piece of fish though, and may or may not be integral to the "traditional" "cajun" version - I'd just maybe add it in the last ~30sec of cooking.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Isn't it the paprika turning black not so much the fish itself? That's exactly how the folks that eat catfish they catch up here cook it. But they're eat carp too

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Look at these yankees trying to talk about southern food. :smuggo:

TBH SubG is on point. Chef De Cuisinart is talking out of his rear end again.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 5, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Croatoan posted:

West Coast is the best coast.
:whatup:

Hey, I just wanted to know what was up with Olive Oil. Apparently it's a blend of oils he uses, from what people here said - but blending doesn't work that way, to my knowledge, so then it's a refined olive oil, but at that point it doesn't matter he uses olive oil, but just an oil in general. That's all I was asking about.

It's been beaten into me here that you use olive oil (the standard flavorful evoo) as an after cooking (at higher heat) dressing for flavor. I rarely hear people talk about refined olive oil.

I was just trying to clarify for myself, but apparently I'm Batman for asking a question slash double checking a method.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 5, 2014

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

bunnielab posted:

I have been looking into getting into fishing as a hobby as I live right bt the Chesapeake bay and have tons and tons of weekdays off.

The snag is, I have never cleaned and prepped a fish and have maybe cooked a whole fish twice in my life, only once with any success. Can anyone recommend a good guide to this stuff? The cooking I am less worried about but the cleaning and prep has me at a loss.

There is a lady at the local farmers markets who does a to of smoked fish stuff and charges a fortune for it. I so dearly want to make my own smoked fish for less then $10 for a tiny rear end trout.

Is the goal to steak the fish, fillet the fish, or clean and serve the fish whole??

This is quite dependent on the type of fish you are planning on catching.

If you are by the bay, you should take up crabbing. Crabs are awesome.

For freshwater pan fish, I prefer the Canadian fillet method.

Bludgeon fish to death with a sharp blow to the noggin with a club.

Lay fish on side. Cut right behind gills until you hit bone. Cut down backbone until you are past the ribs, then slide the knife all the way through the belly and slice down to the tail. Use your knife to carefully separate the meat around the ribs. Pin down skin by tail, slide knife blade at just under the sharpening angle of the knife along the skin and meat. Skin comes off, meat is now bone and skin free.

Repeat on opposite side.

Bread

Pan fry

eat.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Hey go make a Curry or Else.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Croatoan posted:

:( But I am southern =/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

:( But I am southern =/

No, there's being southern and being a dumbass from the south. You consistently say dumbassed things and yet you're from the south. Stop embarrassing us.
It's like you heard that butter = southern cooking but you don't know how it works. It's peasant food. It's not expensive but you have to do it right to make it good. It's browning the seasonings at the same time as the butter, it works together, it's not hard, you just have to pay attention to the food. You can say it's clarified butter or non clarified butter, you tilt the pan to separate both if you need.
Good god. Butter is like our olive oil, it's not that we dip our food in it.