Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carrier
May 12, 2009

Dunban posted:

CD magnet/clear the wings player

Thats our Jozy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
The only wings he's clearing are the chicken wings off his plate

What I'm saying is he's fat.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
My favorite Big Soccer theory right now is that teetotaling Jozy won't go out drinking with Bardsley and the lads on Tuesday nights, which is why they won't give him the service he needs to score goals.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

trem_two posted:

My favorite Big Soccer theory right now is that teetotaling Jozy won't go out drinking with Bardsley and the lads on Tuesday nights, which is why they won't give him the service he needs to score goals.

I saw that, it is some amazing illuminati stuff

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Mods rename me This team, sadly, grabbed the wrong P. They needed a Tony P. Or some other plugger. They needed to stop the bleeding, bar fight for ties and pray for wins. Work toward a table tie with one of the two other teams not named Fulham and Cardiff that have worse GD than them.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
CD Magnet: The CD stands for Chocolate Digestives.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

vaginal culture posted:

At one point, for a game or two, Poyet seemed to be OK with Jozy as a CD magnet/clear the wings player who he was happy to allow to dish off to Borini, Johnson, Ki etc opening space for middies who like to shoot and can even sometimes score.

But then Poyet got cold feet, or too much flack from management or had a vision in the night or whatever before the Cup final and decided his other brilliant strikers would get him goals - which, of course, they did not.

Then he decided the kid who had not been good enough at winter break was going to get him goals and so far... uh, he has not.

So, goals continue to come from a winger who spends the start of games on the bench. Borini - who was playing better withdrawn, is forced up front.

Poyet wisely puts 5 middies in the game to "love the ball" but fails to realize that if you have Ver and Cat on the field, 3 marking backs won't keep even West Ham off the board for a dozen minutes.

This team, sadly, grabbed the wrong P. They needed a Tony P. Or some other plugger. They needed to stop the bleeding, bar fight for ties and pray for wins. Work toward a table tie with one of the two other teams not named Fulham and Cardiff that have worse GD than them.

Instead, they are repainting the window frames as the house slides off the foundation. Oh well. Jozy will shake it off or he won't. That's why he gets the big bucks.

JESUS CHRIST

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

That's why he gets the big bucks, Chuggo.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

middles, marking backs

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
bar fight for ties

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Maybe if Jozy "loved the ball" a little more he wouldn't have the first touch of a rapist

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

middles, marking backs

Look closer. They're 'middies'

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

vaginal culture posted:

At one point, for a game or two, Poyet seemed to be OK with Jozy as a CD magnet/clear the wings player who he was happy to allow to dish off to Borini, Johnson, Ki etc opening space for middies who like to shoot and can even sometimes score.

But then Poyet got cold feet, or too much flack from management or had a vision in the night or whatever before the Cup final and decided his other brilliant strikers would get him goals - which, of course, they did not.

Then he decided the kid who had not been good enough at winter break was going to get him goals and so far... uh, he has not.

So, goals continue to come from a winger who spends the start of games on the bench. Borini - who was playing better withdrawn, is forced up front.

Poyet wisely puts 5 middies in the game to "love the ball" but fails to realize that if you have Ver and Cat on the field, 3 marking backs won't keep even West Ham off the board for a dozen minutes.

This team, sadly, grabbed the wrong P. They needed a Tony P. Or some other plugger. They needed to stop the bleeding, bar fight for ties and pray for wins. Work toward a table tie with one of the two other teams not named Fulham and Cardiff that have worse GD than them.

Instead, they are repainting the window frames as the house slides off the foundation. Oh well. Jozy will shake it off or he won't. That's why he gets the big bucks.

Literally nothing is Jozy's fault

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Bogan Krkic posted:

Look closer. They're 'middies'

Coincidentally, middies is also the colloquial name Jozy's trainer uses for the meal that traditionally comes between brunch and lunch.

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
Jozy grabbed the wrong P, you guys.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

vyelkin posted:

This team, sadly, grabbed the wrong P. They needed a Tony P. Or some other plugger.

https://vine.co/v/MeaB03x7JWA

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
After intense analysis of the numbers, I have found that Jozy Altidore's contribution to sunderland (3.5% of its total goals scored) is slightly better than Mohamed Salah's contribution to Chelsea (3%). Therefore, Jozy Altidore is better than Salah at Football.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

J Hume posted:

Jozy grabbed the wrong P, you guys.

Ugh, no need for these :biotruths: in here for ~reasons~

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Concerned Citizen posted:

After intense analysis of the numbers, I have found that Jozy Altidore's contribution to sunderland (3.5% of its total goals scored) is slightly better than Mohamed Salah's contribution to Chelsea (3%). Therefore, Jozy Altidore is better than Salah at Football.

This is now the only stat that matters.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012

Dunban posted:

CD magnet/clear the wings player

Jozy is a loving fridge magnet

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Timbers Jim posted:

Jozy is a loving magnet fridge

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

he fat

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

jazzyhattrick posted:

CD Magnet: The CD stands for Chocolate Digestives.

Cardiac Defibrillator, the medical staff realise he's a ticking time bomb.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Timbers Jim posted:

Jozy is a loving fridge magnet

But he keeps falling down, he's not even good at that

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Jozy is a loving disgrace

Carrier
May 12, 2009

the sex ghost posted:

Jozy is a loving disgrace

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Shrapnig posted:

That's why he gets the big bucks, Chuggo.

He won't if they don't get a table tie.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Imagine if the hope of your nation at the next world cup was Jozy Altidore. Jozy loving Altidore.

Christ.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

tetsman posted:

But he keeps falling down, he's not even good at that

Lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

El Jebus posted:

This is now the only stat that matters.

Here's another one for you:

Jozy Altidore has scored one (1) Premier League goal against Chelsea. Combined, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Falcao, and Edinson Cavani have scored zero (0) Premier League goals against Chelsea. Jozy Altidore is therefore an infinitely better player than all three of them put together.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Has Jozy entered the pantheon of worst premiership strikers yet?

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

MoPZiG posted:

yeah, in hull

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

MoPZiG posted:

Jozy is a monotheist

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

belgend posted:

yeah, in hull

Wasnt that a loan deal from Villareal? The investment in him this time was Alfonso Alves-esque...

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
please try and list any and all instances of Jozy missing “sitters”. the most talked about one (actually the only one close to a sitter) was Jozy’s attempt to hit a deflected shot steering quickly wide of the goal that he missed (december 28th vs Cardiff City). that wasnt really even a sitter because A) it was a deflection from a prior shot and B) the speed it came off the GKs gloves made it terribly difficult to hit it, it was just out of his reach. to see a real sitter google “Dzeko sitter vs stoke”. Thats a sitter. a pass right to feet that isn’t converted. aka the definition of a sitter “a failed attempt that is easier to score than to miss.” Jozy’s vs Cardiff City was a difficult try at a rebound goal with a lot of pace. Dzeko’s was a direct ground cross that he mishit.
It’s amazing how fast the Jozy hate snowballs…. people read a comment about Jozy “missing a sitter” and it becomes “Jozy misses sitters all the time…….” either watch the games for yourself or listen to the people who have watched 85%+ of Sunderlands games. Ive missed about 3 games this season and Jozy doesnt miss sitters. he should have scored more, sure, but its not from missing sitters. its a combination of GK saves, bad crosses, not being selfish enough to turn and shoot, mids not passing to him on a run and shooting from distance instead, etc, etc…….

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
The American soccer media and American soccer fans have been heavily criticizing Jozy Altidore throughout the 2013-2014 EPL season.

As World Soccer Source covered last August after Jozy Altidore’s impressive hat trick against Bosnia and Herzegovina, Altidore’s technical ability, finishing, and movement off the ball have matched his athleticism and physique, and the criticism of Altidore’s scoring drought with Sunderland fails to understand how a striker’s success and goal-scoring is dependent on the passing and quality of service of his teammates.

Certainly, strikers shouldn’t require all of their goals to be laid on a silver plater for them to score, but their teammates need to be able to maintain possession and provide enough service to the striker or strikers in the final third.

Despite, Sunderland’s poor quality of play, Altidore is still a striker that the United States is lucky to have because the United States didn’t have strikers like him in the past. Altidore is a two-footed, fast, strong, quick, and tall Number 9 that is also good with his head.

For the purposes of the USA national team, Altidore is a striker that can slip behind defenders with his speed and he can finish with both feet, in addition to being a more technical and creative player than he gets credit for, and this technical-skill, creativity, and combination play is more evident when Altidore is partnered with a second striker or when Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey are used as wings with the freedom to float behind him.

If Altidore is deployed up top with attacking midfielders that can keep possession, provide him with finals balls, and combine with him, then he won’t be stranded up top where he sees little of the ball.

Regardless of what happened at Sunderland this past season, the fact hasn’t changed that Altidore is a striker that not only has the physical gifts to stretch defenses and make them run and battle, but Altidore is also a striker with cultivated technical skills that allow him to score from the run of play or with him taking free kicks or being the target of balls played by other free kick and dead ball takers.

Unlike basketball where one player has more of an ability to take over a game due to the smaller size of the playing area, soccer is played on a very large field that demands quality team passing for strikers to really have any chance of getting in scoring positions. A striker can certainly create scoring chances by himself provided that he is within some reasonable distance from the goal, but a striker that doesn’t get enough touches on the ball or receive the ball in the final third is normally doomed to going scoreless.

The bigger problem with the United States Men’s National Team is the poor collective team passing and poor collective technical quality with the exception of about five players.

Altidore has strengthened the areas of his game which needed improvement, which were his technical ability, his movement off the ball, and his willingness to take on defenders and go straight to goal.

It’s the responsibility of Jürgen Klinsmann to field a Starting XI that can keep possession and provide Jozy Altidore with enough service and touches in the final third.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

tetsman posted:

please try and list any and all instances of Jozy missing “sitters”. the most talked about one (actually the only one close to a sitter) was Jozy’s attempt to hit a deflected shot steering quickly wide of the goal that he missed (december 28th vs Cardiff City). that wasnt really even a sitter because A) it was a deflection from a prior shot and B) the speed it came off the GKs gloves made it terribly difficult to hit it, it was just out of his reach. to see a real sitter google “Dzeko sitter vs stoke”. Thats a sitter. a pass right to feet that isn’t converted. aka the definition of a sitter “a failed attempt that is easier to score than to miss.” Jozy’s vs Cardiff City was a difficult try at a rebound goal with a lot of pace. Dzeko’s was a direct ground cross that he mishit.
It’s amazing how fast the Jozy hate snowballs…. people read a comment about Jozy “missing a sitter” and it becomes “Jozy misses sitters all the time…….” either watch the games for yourself or listen to the people who have watched 85%+ of Sunderlands games. Ive missed about 3 games this season and Jozy doesnt miss sitters. he should have scored more, sure, but its not from missing sitters. its a combination of GK saves, bad crosses, not being selfish enough to turn and shoot, mids not passing to him on a run and shooting from distance instead, etc, etc…….

Is this a real post

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

trem_two posted:

lol incredible, absolute crackpot theory stuff

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
he should have scored more, sure, but its not from missing sitters. its a combination of GK saves, bad crosses, not being selfish enough to turn and shoot, mids not passing to him on a run and shooting from distance instead, etc, etc…….

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

tetsman posted:

I didn't know doobie followed football.

• Locked thread