Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Giedroyc posted:

My Storm is level one and remains unplayed.

Storm can literally level by just running around with Freezing Tempest toggled on. Anything else you decide to do is just icing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
What's the best thing to spend Cube Shards on?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I think you want all of Taskmaster's uniques too, they're all really good and make skills like Action and Anti-Heroic Charge a lot more useful.

a tea tree
Dec 20, 2006

Kirby began to wonder if he shouldn't have just eaten the Nemesis, instead.

Swagger Dagger posted:

I think you want all of Taskmaster's uniques too, they're all really good and make skills like Action and Anti-Heroic Charge a lot more useful.

Couldn't hurt - I only have the two that I have though (the Hood and Fitness' Batons) - and ranged TM (even loving DoTs as he does) gets more benefit from the increased DR and crit of something like a Dragonfang than he does from the Superb Combatant ranks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Vendor levels.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Earning yellow names.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Since nobody wants to give a serious answer, if you've got spare ones you should just buy fortune cards to get boosts.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Senor Candle posted:

Since nobody wants to give a serious answer, if you've got spare ones you should just buy fortune cards to get boosts.

What are the odds of getting non-boost stuff from cards (the exclusive pets or costumes or whatever else)? I'm guessing 'very low'?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mine was a serious answer.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

WarLocke posted:

What are the odds of getting non-boost stuff from cards (the exclusive pets or costumes or whatever else)? I'm guessing 'very low'?

It's pretty low yeah. It's not crazy like finding a costume drop or anything like that though.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

No, YOU'RE opinion is wrong!

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Ugh, I really want Team-ups, like, now. How long does stuff usually hang around on Test Servers before going public?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Ugh, I really want Team-ups, like, now. How long does stuff usually hang around on Test Servers before going public?

It's supposed to be next week.

They would have been out Friday if not for Marvel having some issues with Firestar and Falcon.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I just got back from seeing Winter Soldier, and I immediately bought the Winter Soldier costume, Cap's Stash tab, and prestiged him.

Marvel's insidious plot is working.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Senor Candle posted:

Nobody has yet said when Cube Shards aren't spare, is the point. I have 150 or so knocking around and I don't even try hard.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Cube Shards are always spare unless you're grabbing them for some specific reason, like buying the item for prestiging or farming ghost boxes or whatever.

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011

a tea tree posted:

This whole build (and post) is considered work in progress - suggestions or recommendations on either are welcome, and I'm still tweaking the numbers and skills on the build itself. There's a summary at the bottom, if you just want to get to the good stuff.

Hey, kiddos - been playing Taskmaster a lot lately, right? Already paid me my 3 million credits and the soul of your firstborn to enroll in the Taskmaster Academy?

Some of you have even finished your Associate's Degree in Henching studies, Melee'd around the X-Mansion for a while... and you figure you know all there is to know about how to play Taskmaster - right?

Wrong, loser!

Welcome to Advanced Taskmaster 302, the class that'll make all the other Taskmasters want to be you, and all the Marvel honeys want to be with you...

"So You Want to Build a Ranged Taskmaster."

(She's here because she wants to be - I promise she is NOT a paid actress.)

Let's not mince words - even with my photographic reflexes, this build ain't perfect (close, maybe, but not perfect.) You'll do a lot of damage, but you're still gonna eat it if you overexert yourself. Possibly, you will eat it a lot. You're not the Taskmaster, after all - even when you're playing as me. You also don't have much single target damage - you need to wear bosses down with your DoTs and Shield Crush.

This one out-deeps'd Dr. Strange, once. Also, pay no attention to the many deaths from a Venom in wave 13.

The general idea behind ranged Taskmaster is copious spirit replenishment. You want to shoot your enemies, and never don't be shooting your enemies. Let's take a look at what to shoot them with:

The main themes of our build, outside of ranged attacks, is bleeds. Taskmaster is better than anyone who doesn't have adamantium claws at applying damaging bleeds. Let's look at each skill that I use individually:

Superb Combatant skills --

Anti-Heroic Charge: Well, I *did* say we'd look at every skill that I use. This is a one-pointer, it's our movement skill, it also negates a small portion of incoming damage. It's not exciting, but when you need to get where you're going, this is how you'll do it.

Rebounding Shield: "But Uncle Tasky," you cry, "we only use one point in shield to proc our Idols of Khonshu and Impervious Soldier auras!" Oh, how wonderfully naive you are, students. If you want to leave now, may I just remind you your fees for this class were 100% non-refundable.

That aside, we max this skill because not only is the damage scaling decent, but the DoT damage also scales. Between this and some other powers (more on those in a bit), we should be doing roughly 20k/second in DoT/bleed damage (not counting crits.)

You have to remember to work the shield into your rotation, but its damage is definitely worth it.

Shield Crush: A solid one-pointer with movement and AOE capabilities that - whaddya know - does more damage to bleeding enemies. We like to make enemies bleed, don't we class?

That's what I thought. You could dump bonus points here, but only the base damage is increasing, and we have better things to do for the other 3.7 or so out of every 4 seconds that the skill isn't up.

Cyclone Club: This one's season-to-taste. I like it for those moments when you amnesiac out a bit and get surrounded by enemies - the attack speed slow combined with the same from Web Net should allow you to deal some good damage while taking as little as possible in return. Wouldn't blame you if you didn't take it, though.

Deadly Marksman skills --
Now we're getting to the good stuff.

Deadly Volley: The bread, butter, and gooey chocolate coating of our build. Use this early, use this often, use it anytime there's more than two or so enemies in your field of vision. A large cone (made larger with itemization, if you so desire) with piercing and a high rate of fire. Max it and never look back.

Web Net: Not quite as good as the wall-crawlers, but at least it's not comin' outta your butt. Since they cause vulnerability, take one point in 'em and throw 'em down at the start of an AOE rotation, before Tear Gas Arrows and Rebounding Shield.

Dual Wield: Out of spirit? Feeling like nobody loves you anymore? Your guns still love you, and they want to help you earn back your spirit, real quick. Bonus ranks in these increase your DPS a lot (damage AND attack speed scale,) but the damage scaling isn't fantastic, and your spirit restoration procs are all on internal cooldowns, anyways. 1 point.

Tear Gas Arrows: Another skill I'm not quite convinced what to do with - I like them, and they help increase our chance to proc Peerless Archer, but you'll can see on the build chart why I would say some of these points could be better spent elsewhere. (The answer is "because of Impervious Soldier", if you were wondering.)

Photographic Reflexes skills --
My pride and joy - though I wouldn't mind having a working memory back, some days.

Flawless Emulation: No one has ever said "Don't max this," and I'm not about to start now. You will always be using skills that proc both halves of this passive. Max the hell out of it.

Peerless Archer: We like to make them bleed. This skill does that real well. You also get bonus ranged DR and 5% attack speed for free. Max it.

Impervious Soldier: Very useful. 5% chance to nullify an attack, +health, +health regen, and some additional damage mitigation on top of it. Good, especially if you max Rebounding Shield, but not amazing for our purposes. This should be your primary points dump (unless, like me, you have gear with 18 ranks in the skill. Score!)

Relentless: I have often been described this way, yes. So will your Taskmaster, after he uses this build. One point.

Action! With all the cool poo poo you get to do in this build, you'll probably WANT to film a commercial or three in your time. That said, unless you're speccing real hard into power duration, this is down 80% of the time. I'd consider this either a one-pointer, or a secondary points dump (for points from the story quests.)

Skills alone don't make the man, though - you've also got to dress the part of the ranged Taskmaster:

I'm less certain of authoritative "correctitude" in this portion of the build, and the ASSS (Super-Soldier Serum) is on him as much because I got it while I was leveling him as anything else.

That said, here's the key points:

(Advanced) Crystal of Kadavus: Daddy likey. Attack speed to shoot more arrows and guns, and a healthy amount of spirit back while using Dual Wield.

River of the Soul: More spirit, more power duration, and lower costs.

Doc Ock Medallion: My personal choice in neckwear, since we're using so many Area-tagged skills. DR, AOE size increase, and increased crit chance.

I'm using Relic of the Gibborim right now, but I think they could pretty easily be switched out for Xandar, Atlantis, Atilan, or Lemuria, depending on your personal needs at this point.

That's all for now, kiddos. Happy to incorporate any feedback you may have --

...Except for that.

SionSionSion friendly version

For ranged Taskmaster, you should:

MAX:
Deadly Volley
Flawless Emulation
Peerless Archer
Tear Gas Arrows

ONE POINT:
Anti-Heroic Charge
Web Net
Relentless
Dual Wield
Shield Crush
Cyclone Club (?)

and SPREAD POINTS BETWEEN:
Impervious Soldier
Action!
Rebounding Shield

Note that you should have a(n) (Advanced) Crystal of Kadavus and River of the Soul to make this build work.

--END LOW-EFFORT RECAP PORTION--

Ha, it looks like we reached a lot of the same conclusions. We mainly took different avenues for spirit generation. Have you tried out Dismember yet? I played around between that and Shield Crush at earlier levels, trying to figure out which would be his best single target, ended up going with Dismember. I'll revisit though, you're not the first I've seen running Crush. And yeah, for a dude that seems like he would be primarily melee, he can get pretty good with the DoTs, and ranged too . His ranged especially surprised me, I was expecting total crap since he's hybrid.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Eiffel On You posted:

Goons (maybe mainly Cease since he dominates these large build posts), for our newbies and even our veterans, I see plenty of posts on official forums and in game asking, "Who should I put this Any Hero Unique on?"

It's something I've been fooling with for the gear guide thing. It'd just be a lot of work, since you have to know every character and compare every any-hero to every specific unique. So ETA whenever.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Donating them to level your crafter/enchanter or buying Fortune Cards for boosts. Once your crafter's leveled, grabbing Ghost Boxes for gear and the crafting recipes is also an option.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I still favor cards with my shards but I also got my crafter to 20 before the enchanter came out, so I could see merit in tossing a few shards at the crafter if you need.

Keep in mind that the mark 1s do drop somewhat often too.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Is there a method of leveling up uniques via crafting or do I farm higher level versions of them?

edit- Thanks Kheldarn

Shuka fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 7, 2014

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Shuka posted:

Is there a method of leveling up uniques via crafting or do I farm higher level versions of them?

Some artifacts have advanced versions that drop at higher levels, but most don't. Check the compendium to see if the artifact you're looking for exists.

edit: I totally misread that, apologies

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 7, 2014

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Shuka posted:

Levels 15, 17, and 19 of your Crafter have recipes to upgrade a Unique to Level 40, 50, and 60, respectivly.

Upgrading it to Level 50 is a waste of resources. Since you don't have to progress through the levels, you can upgrade a sub-40 to 40, then upgrade it to 60 when you hit 60.

Of course, there's always the chance that a better rolled one will drop before then.

a tea tree
Dec 20, 2006

PoultryHammock posted:

Ha, it looks like we reached a lot of the same conclusions. We mainly took different avenues for spirit generation. Have you tried out Dismember yet? I played around between that and Shield Crush at earlier levels, trying to figure out which would be his best single target, ended up going with Dismember. I'll revisit though, you're not the first I've seen running Crush. And yeah, for a dude that seems like he would be primarily melee, he can get pretty good with the DoTs, and ranged too . His ranged especially surprised me, I was expecting total crap since he's hybrid.

I was using Dismember on him early on, when I was still building melee. It's a good skill, but its attack speed is so slow that if you're going to build damage with it, you have to stay in place for a while (exposing you to a lot of danger.) It also doesn't proc Cap bonus on the Emulation passive.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

This is a pretty cool thread by a poster who responds to every single poster who quotes or mentions him. While obnoxious, it's a good graph of most popular/least popular characters seen in Xdef.

For the most part, it's seems pretty accurate.

http://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/78904/bar-chart-inside-344-heroes-grouped-in-level-60-x-def-and-the-most-popular-heroes-are/p1

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011

a tea tree posted:

I was using Dismember on him early on, when I was still building melee. It's a good skill, but its attack speed is so slow that if you're going to build damage with it, you have to stay in place for a while (exposing you to a lot of danger.) It also doesn't proc Cap bonus on the Emulation passive.

Ah, yeah, I see the idea with it. I'm currently running with both Hawkeye/DD stances, Hawkeye's dps gain seems to good to pass up, and I tend to zero on on health gain (the DD stance), since its one of the few things you can't really gear for heavily. And for the Emulation passive I thought it was either Cap/DD, and Hawk/Spidey for the procs, I could swear I've been seeing it pop up, but it could just be from the shield bounce.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cease to Hope posted:

Donating them to level your crafter/enchanter

This is the dumbest poo poo and you assholes need to stop giving newbies the worst loving advice.

Dear newbies:
Cube shards have 2 primary uses:
Fortune Card Mk 1: Common drops are boosts (which never hurt) and rare drops (but not unreasonably rare) are costumes. Even if you don't like the costumes, save them up and stick them in the blender for a random costume.
Ghost Box: These contain dogshit, but have a rare chance to drop the Bannertech Accelerator Reciped which is A Real Good Artifact. If you want the recipe, buy a few hundred of these and pray. Otherwise get Fortune Cards.

There are a few other things they get used for (like prestiging), but that'll be a very small portion of the cube shards you get.

Donating them to a vendor for a paltry amount of XP is the dumbest publord suggestion since the dude who was donating his Rainbows because ~I'm a strong, independent Black Widow, who don't need no legendaries.~

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011

Toshimo posted:

This is the dumbest poo poo and you assholes need to stop giving newbies the worst loving advice.

Dear newbies:
Fortune Card Mk 1: Common drops are boosts (which never hurt) and rare drops (but not unreasonably rare) are costumes. Even if you don't like the costumes, save them up and stick them in the blender for a random costume.
Ghost Box: These contain dogshit, but have a rare chance to drop the Bannertech Accelerator Reciped which is A Real Good Artifact. If you want the recipe, buy a few hundred of these and pray. Otherwise get Fortune Cards.

There are a few other things they get used for (like prestiging), but that'll be a very small portion of the cube shards you get.

Donating them to a vendor for a paltry amount of XP is the dumbest publord suggestion since the dude who was donating his Rainbows because ~I'm a strong, independent Black Widow, who don't need no legendaries.~

Quoted for the truth, even if you get awful cosmetic artifacts every once in a while, you have SOOOOO many other things to donate, and its not like there is some huge rush to max them out. Gaz also runs so many bonus weekends/weeks with huge credit/donation value, its really a waste.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Toshimo posted:

Dear newbies:

Translation for non spergs:

Hey, I think you could use cube shards more effectively by buying fortune cards or even getting ghost boxes for the low chance at a bannertech recipe.

Toshimo, go take yer meds.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

What is the best thing to donate to vendors? I've just been donating waves of Xdef trash after making my inventory full.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

To be more specific, Fortune cards (Mk 1) get you costumes ~1% of the time. I've used about 200 cards, and got 2 costumes, 2 pets, and one cow level recipe.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Harlock posted:

What is the best thing to donate to vendors? I've just been donating waves of Xdef trash after making my inventory full.

Just all your extra garbage and the occasional event item that generally says something in the description about donating and is worth 1000+ credits.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Baby Proof posted:

To be more specific, Fortune cards (Mk 1) get you costumes ~1% of the time. I've used about 200 cards, and got 2 costumes, 2 pets, and one cow level recipe.

the best thing about fortune cards is boosts imo. They are the gateway to fast levelling and more loot. Having a large stack of boosts for free is amazing and costumes are just a nice little sideshow to boosts.

Harlock posted:

whatever loot you dont want to keep. you can also buy iron buddy pets after you prestige and then donate them to convert credits to donations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I donate all of my cube shards because vendors are the only real long-term grind in this game and after all of the playing I have done I don't have them maxed. I want more vendor trash items a lot more than I want anything a fortune card can give me.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Toshimo posted:

Dear newbies:

Added "dumb uses of cube shards" to easy_ways_to_make_toshimo_sperg_out.txt

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Rewatching the Avengers the other day, I noticed this hotdog stand get crushed by some rubble:

April fools posted:

Oh Gaz :allears:

Sure they're probably just references to the ubiquitous nature of Sabrett hotdog stands, but I want to believe.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Let's share some Taskmaster builds!

Ranged Taskmaster:
Max: Deadly Volley, Legion Arrow, Dual Wield, Nerve Gas Arrow (not sure how well it scales), Impervious Soldier, Peerless Archer
1 point: Rebounding Shield (Emulation defence buff trigger) Web Net (vuln), Relentless (CC break), Action!

Oh hey look, it's my Taskmaster build! The only difference is I max Rebounding Shield and 1 point Dual Wield.

It owns a bunch

ixxit
Oct 15, 2010

Soothing Vapors posted:

Added "dumb uses of cube shards" to easy_ways_to_make_toshimo_sperg_out.txt

PoultryHammock posted:

I've been having a lot of luck with a hybrid Tasky build using Tear Gas Arrow (and to a lesser extent, Shield DoT) to keep Idol of Khonshu procs up more or less constantly. Feels kind of like NC's X-Slash build, back when Brimstone ticks could proc the Idol.

a tea tree
Dec 20, 2006

Rasczak posted:

Oh hey look, it's my Taskmaster build! The only difference is I max Rebounding Shield and 1 point Dual Wield.

It owns a bunch

So it's my build, but without Flawless Emulation --

aka :siren: YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG :siren:

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
I'm beign dragged into the game by a friend. Who is more fun, Captain America or Human Torch? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to running doubles? He's cap but I wouldn't mind playing him or torch. Is torch fun to play?

• Locked thread