Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

e X posted:

I have yet to read Hawkguy. How exactly does the comic work? Is it just him goofing around with Kate Bishop, or does it has some actual action?

It's basically about how Hawkeye is a manchild/tries to be a carefree rogue and how that comes back to bite him when he gets into trouble with the mafia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I don't think there's really anything to be said about Hawkeye's personality in the movies. He's barely in Thor, and he was mind controlled through almost all of Avengers - the only part where he's not is AFTER Loki escapes the helicarrier, and there's absolutely no time for character development after that point. Any description of his personality in the films is completely premature.

Though I, too, doubt he will end up being anything like Hawkguy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yvonmukluk posted:

Really? What is it?

I'll spoiler it Hawkeye in the shots with Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver from the set show him wearing something not unlike his older outfit, and not his SHIELD agent outfit. This suggests that Hawkeye and Widow will be going with stuff that is not SHIELD uniforms.

Roydrowsy posted:

he was there in spirit,
Widow's necklace throughout the whole film was an arrow!

I noticed this! Clearly between Avengers and Cap 2 Clint and Tash have rekindled something.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm pretty sure that in Avengers 2, Hawkeye with more time given will be fleshed out. He was pretty important to the team when Quicksilver and Wanda joined, and it would be ridiculous for Marvel to not try to push his character to be more in line with his current depiction in his great comic.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fiction and reality were confusingly blurred for a second when I read this tweet:

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Lobok posted:

Fiction and reality were confusingly blurred for a second when I read this tweet:

Man, he really gets into a part.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Thank god Iron Man was the first Marvel Universe movie, I'd much rather every movie try to fit that style than ape the Dark Knight. Can't believe anyone thinks it would be a good idea to take the Nick Fury toy off the table for bullshit gravitas.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm pretty sure that in Avengers 2, Hawkeye with more time given will be fleshed out. He was pretty important to the team when Quicksilver and Wanda joined, and it would be ridiculous for Marvel to not try to push his character to be more in line with his current depiction in his great comic.

I think I've read that Whedon has been thinking about making him the "viewpoint" character for the second one. Don't have any links, though.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
You know, the post-avengers movies make The Avengers look kinda bad. Without the wow factor and compared to all these movies that don't have to be origin movies, it really doesn't have a lot going for it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

e X posted:

You know, the post-avengers movies make The Avengers look kinda bad. Without the wow factor and compared to all these movies that don't have to be origin movies, it really doesn't have a lot going for it.

Thor 2 was singularly unimpressive so I don't think it's necessarily a pre/post Avengers distinction.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

e X posted:

gently caress that, Avengers will forever own bones for the scene when Hulk wrecks the the Leviathan. Not just an amazing action scene but an awesome framing of the dynamic between Bruce and Hulk.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

DangerKat posted:

gently caress that, Avengers will forever own bones for the scene when Hulk wrecks the the Leviathan. Not just an amazing action scene but an awesome framing of the dynamic between Bruce and Hulk.

I was honestly a little disappointed that there wasn't a scene where Hulk punches the huge snake head so hard it caves in and then shoots down the rest of the body in one long line of explosions. I realize that that isn't realistic but gently caress it, I really wanted it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

DangerKat posted:

Banner: That's my secret, Captain... I'm always angry.

Me in the Theater: Oh man, what an awesome line... wait, what does that mean?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Metal Loaf posted:

I think I've read that Whedon has been thinking about making him the "viewpoint" character for the second one. Don't have any links, though.

Kevin Feige said that Barton and Hulk will get the spotlight in Avengers 2.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/hawkeye-hulk-get-avengers-2-692625

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Avengers 2 seems like it's going to be as cluttered as an X-Men film. I have faith in it, but the Maximoffs, Strucker, Ultron, and a separate focus on Hulk and Hawkeye seems like it's gonna be stuffed. Though with the Hulkbuster and all, I'm curious if the Hulk'll be leaving like he does soon after the Avengers were first founded in the comics.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
I'm sure Strucker will be disposed of quickly in the opening like Batroc, it's not Age of Anachronistic Villain Doing Hammy Accent Work.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
EDIT: WHOOPS!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

WickedHate posted:

Avengers 2 seems like it's going to be as cluttered as an X-Men film. I have faith in it, but the Maximoffs, Strucker, Ultron, and a separate focus on Hulk and Hawkeye seems like it's gonna be stuffed. Though with the Hulkbuster and all, I'm curious if the Hulk'll be leaving like he does soon after the Avengers were first founded in the comics.

They're not gonna give as much time to Thor, Cap, and Iron Man since they have their own movies. It'll be fine.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

DynamicSloth posted:

I'm sure Strucker will be disposed of quickly in the opening like Batroc, it's not Age of Anachronistic Villain Doing Hammy Accent Work.

He's got a multi-movie contract and is the leader of an organization they spent an entire movie justifying for the modern setting. He might only get a few quick scenes but he's not going away after they're done.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

HaitianDivorce posted:

He's got a multi-movie contract and is the leader of an organization they spent an entire movie justifying for the modern setting. He might only get a few quick scenes but he's not going away after they're done.

He's a minor character actor, his agent was probably happy to include a multi-part clause in his contract it doesn't mean they ever plan to use him as a major antagonist, the whole point of Hydra is that their leaders are disposable.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Banner: That's my secret, Captain... I'm always angry.

Me in the Theater: Oh man, what an awesome line... wait, what does that mean?

It means Bruce Banner had explosive anger issues even before his accident.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It means they deleted a scene earlier where he had an epiphany with the janitor.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DynamicSloth posted:

On the other hand, the Winter Soldier wasn't exactly the focus of Captain America 2.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

They're not gonna give as much time to Thor, Cap, and Iron Man since they have their own movies. It'll be fine.

When I read the early Avengers comics, I was really surprised how fast Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Ant Man and the Wasp were out of the cast. Oh they still popped up from time to time, but once Cap joins, you get Hawkeye, and the Maximoffs joining and the focus is on them. Hank and Janet rejoin slowly over the next period.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

It means Bruce Banner had explosive anger issues even before his accident.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty easy to understand. Banner accepted that a constant, underlying anger was always going to be a part of his personality, and that allowed him to control his transformations into the Hulk. The reason he transformed against his will earlier is because Loki messed up his inner balance with evil magic.

edit: I agree with everyone earlier saying that Jeremy Renner was boring as poo poo in Avengers, though. Nothing against him as an actor, but giving him a couple dry lines that could be construed as mildly humorous didn't change that fact.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 7, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

One problem with Hawkeye in Avengers is that he's mind-controlled for half the film, his character doesn't particularly shine in the time he does have in his own mind. Sure, his abilities are shown off, but he has no real characterisation.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, they made Widow more interesting in TWS, so I have full faith that they can do the same for Hawkeye. I really want to watch a Widow/Hawkeye standalone.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
So, in the "Special Thanks" section of the credits to TWC, they thank Brubaker, obviously, but also Bendis?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Doctor Spaceman posted:

On the other hand, the Winter Soldier wasn't exactly the focus of Captain America 2.

He totally was when you realize that they're not really talking about Bucky in the title.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

zoux posted:

So, in the "Special Thanks" section of the credits to TWC, they thank Brubaker, obviously, but also Bendis?

I think Bendis is some kind of consultant for the entire MCU.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

e X posted:

I think Bendis is some kind of consultant for the entire MCU.

Maria Hill

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I actually meant to ask about that, Bendis posted this on his tumblr in response to people asking about his involvement.

quote:

Tons and tons of notes about this this week and thank you to all of you. I haven’t answered any of them because of spoilers. obviously Ed Brubaker’s contribution is right there in the title while mine is a pretty giant spoiler and I would like to educate through example by just not spoiling something online.

you see how easy it is? just don’t spoil it :-)

I don't really think Maria Hill being in the movie constitutes a "giant spoiler"
I'm really confused by what he means by that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

I actually meant to ask about that, Bendis posted this on his tumblr in response to people asking about his involvement.

I don't really think Maria Hill being in the movie constitutes a "giant spoiler"
I'm really confused by what he means by that.

Secret Warriors as in Bendis cowrote the first storyline where its revealed that Hydra and SHIELD are one and the same

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 7, 2014

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Maybe Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch?

Or maybe the possible Secret War or Secret Warriors vibe the film kind of gives off is similar to the stories Bendis wrote (or in case of Secret Warriors, introduced)?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Secret Warriors as in Bendis cowrote the first storyline where its revealed that Hydra and SHIELD are one and the same

Oh, ok that makes a lot more sense.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mr. Maltose posted:

He totally was when you realize that they're not really talking about Bucky in the title.

That idea works (assuming you know / look up an obscure reference), but titles set expectations and I think people might have expected more of a focus on Bucky than the movie ended up having.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That idea works (assuming you know / look up an obscure reference), but titles set expectations and I think people might have expected more of a focus on Bucky than the movie ended up having.

The storyline where he was introduced he was not the focus either. It was more of a red skull and Aleksander Lukin storyline and Bucky was sort of a side character.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Everybody talked about how Winter Soldier basically wasn't in the movie, so I was expecting that before I went to see it.

He was in it a lot more than you guys led me to believe - although he exists in the film more as a force of nature than as a character.

I'm hoping that We see more of him in the future! (I figured that "he isn't dead" constitutes a spoiler)

Also, I don't care how they do it, I don't care how stupid the story reason is (and it would be stupid), I want them to find a way to bring Dum Dum Dugan into modern continuity.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

Also, I don't care how they do it, I don't care how stupid the story reason is (and it would be stupid), I want them to find a way to bring Dum Dum Dugan into modern continuity.

Well, they haven't found the Infinity Stone that controls time yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Everybody talked about how Winter Soldier basically wasn't in the movie, so I was expecting that before I went to see it.

He was in it a lot more than you guys led me to believe - although he exists in the film more as a force of nature than as a character.

I'm hoping that We see more of him in the future! (I figured that "he isn't dead" constitutes a spoiler)

We will The last scene is him reading poo poo about himself and Cap and Falcon saying that they are going on a seach for him. I assume part three will be the two of them finding him and the three of them fighting Hydra. That is if he isn't in Avengers 2 in a cameo

• Locked thread