Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
So you cross the international dateline, the system goes "Oops Kerberos authentication no longer working, F22 will now shut down" and it crashes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Kerberos isn't the only protocol that uses timestamps and neither is it isolated to network security protocols in general, it could for instance be used for some kind of remote procedure protocol or messaging protocol. Having the correct date and time within acceptable parameters and being able to handle transitions in date fluently is a Pretty Important Thing for a distributed information system.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

NihilismNow posted:

So you cross the international dateline, the system goes "Oops Kerberos authentication no longer working, F22 will now shut down" and it crashes?

Well this was the fear with the millenium bug - all those global companies and banking systems running off decades old infrastructure and needing precise agreement on when and what order trades get executed, and half of them might have decided it was the wrong decade.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I've watched a factory full of poo poo lose its mind when daylight savings time triggered, deciding ten second processes suddenly had another hour to go. It happens.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Snowdens Secret posted:

I've watched a factory full of poo poo lose its mind when daylight savings time triggered, deciding ten second processes suddenly had another hour to go. It happens.

I'm imagining a scene out of a Buster Keaton movie happening. Don't ruin this for me with additional details.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Snowdens Secret posted:

What lunatic programs process controllers to use something other than TAI? Unless you're running a dairy or something and the cows all operate on local solar time, that is.

NihilismNow posted:

That would be better than the bug apocryphally in the first iteration of the F-16 fly-by-wire (if it existed, the story is that it was caught in simulation). Allegedly, the earth was modeled as a hemisphere and on crossing the equator there would be a sign change to the latitude variable and all would be well. The way the math was coded, the plane would try to execute a snap half-outside-loop and continue on the inside of the hollow hemisphere.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Frozen Horse posted:

That would be better than the bug apocryphally in the first iteration of the F-16 fly-by-wire (if it existed, the story is that it was caught in simulation). Allegedly, the earth was modeled as a hemisphere and on crossing the equator there would be a sign change to the latitude variable and all would be well. The way the math was coded, the plane would try to execute a snap half-outside-loop and continue on the inside of the hollow hemisphere.

Dear god that's amazing.

Now I can't get the picture of something like this happening to the test flight of a 737 though.

Which brings me to a question, can you even right a large body aircraft when it does something that extreme? Will the airframe even allow it?

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 7, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mazz posted:

Dear god that's amazing.

Now I can't get the picture of something like this happening to the test flight of a 737 though.

Which brings me to a question, can you even right a large body aircraft when it does something that extreme? Will the airframe even allow it?

Clearly not. Everyone will die.

More seriously, as long as you keep 1g on the airframe so the fluids run the same way, and don't run out of airspeed or altitude, there's nothing inherently impossible about aerobatics with a large aircraft.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

MrYenko posted:

More seriously, as long as you keep 1g on the airframe so the fluids run the same way, and don't run out of airspeed or altitude, there's nothing inherently impossible about aerobatics with a large aircraft.

Yeah I didn't see any big reason why not but I realized I've never actually seen/read about that and would get a more interesting answer here then google.

Now I really want to see a red bull demonstration team in an old jetliner though.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

The problem is the limited maximum speed, large turning circles, and greater moments from a larger airframe and mass. The airframes are also probably less rigid than military fighters etc.

So in theory, if you could scale up strength and speed, it'd be more doable. But the reason you have spoilers on airliners is because going into a roll too hard, because of the ailerons' positions, would literally rip a wing off if you had full-size ailerons and no spoilers.

Can it fly upside down? Sure. Can it do it quickly enough to be classed as aerobatics? I'll remain sceptical.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 7, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I can't remember if it was this thread or the Aeronautical Insanity thread in AI where there was a multi-page discussion about exactly this. The crazy thing I learned from it is that as long as the pilots maintain 1g through the roll you could be a passenger and not even notice that you were (temporarily) upside down, unless you looked out a window of course. Ever since then I've always imagined bored 737 pilots executing lazy barrel-rolls and chuckling to themselves.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Frozen Horse posted:

Apparently it would also flip out if you descended below 0 ft Mean Sea Level. At first glance, it would appear this isn't a major problem, since the aircraft isn't rated for underwater operations. Unfortunately, several airfields are at negative elevations, and the plane would pass through zero feet on final approach...

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Clearly not. Everyone will die.

Definitely impossible. You'd be a madman to even try!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Terrible Robot posted:

I can't remember if it was this thread or the Aeronautical Insanity thread in AI where there was a multi-page discussion about exactly this. The crazy thing I learned from it is that as long as the pilots maintain 1g through the roll you could be a passenger and not even notice that you were (temporarily) upside down, unless you looked out a window of course. Ever since then I've always imagined bored 737 pilots executing lazy barrel-rolls and chuckling to themselves.

Or pour oneself a glass of iced tea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5xq5G_2ERU&t=2m32s

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Dead Reckoning posted:

Apparently it would also flip out if you descended below 0 ft Mean Sea Level. At first glance, it would appear this isn't a major problem, since the aircraft isn't rated for underwater operations. Unfortunately, several airfields are at negative elevations, and the plane would pass through zero feet on final approach...

I wonder how they found this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Netherlands_Air_Force#Replacement_for_F-16

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Came here to post this. Since you beat me to it, have some more Bob Hoover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7R7jZmliGc

He is probably the greatest stick and rudder pilot in the history of aviation.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

SgtMongoose posted:

Tex Johnson is the man. He was supposedly the inspiration for Maj. King Kong in Dr. Strangelove. I keep meaning to get his autobiography but I haven't had time for pleasure reading lately.

My current favorite piece of flying is Kyle Franklin doing his drunk spectator stealing an airplane bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMWQ6cJiaiI

From the cockpit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8xnc9HpF-Y

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Actually, I'd heard it was Israelis buzzing around near the Dead Sea.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Terrible Robot posted:

It was the AI thread, this is the article that they were talking about, which also goes into the nightmare of navigating in clouds: http://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/unbound/langew/turn.htm

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nrrh2XD6s4

Hole Wolf
Apr 28, 2011

SgtMongoose posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cIgTAtj4E4

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
To be fair, we did kill a bunch of dudes via metal fatigue by doing that.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

iyaayas01 posted:

He is probably the greatest stick and rudder pilot in the history of aviation.

Not to mention a complete badass. In WWII his Spitfire was shot down and he was captured and imprisoned in Germany. He escaped from the prison camp and *stole a loving Fw190* and flew to the Netherlands. He was Yeager's chase pilot when he broke the sound barrier, and flew chase for the anniversary flight 50 years later, in an F-16.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Dead Reckoning posted:

To be fair, we did kill a bunch of dudes via metal fatigue by doing that.

Pretty crazy that the USAF decided something that big would be a good platform for toss-bombing. It would be akin to asking B-25s to do dive-bombing.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Started at the very beginning of the thread a little over a month ago, as the Crimean situation was getting rolling and just got to the end today. Amazing thread.

Content- I know the Errol Morris documentary on McNamara, Fog of War has been mentioned earlier in the thread. His documentary on Rumsfeld (same interview type format) The Unknown Known just came out last week. Haven't seen it yet, but Morris has a 4 part series in the NY Times on Rumsfeld. Part one here. Not completely Cold War, but definitely related.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Holy poo poo. I've never seen this before, that is as insane as it is awesome.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Veritek83 posted:

Content- I know the Errol Morris documentary on McNamara, Fog of War has been mentioned earlier in the thread. His documentary on Rumsfeld (same interview type format) The Unknown Known just came out last week. Haven't seen it yet, but Morris has a 4 part series in the NY Times on Rumsfeld. Part one here. Not completely Cold War, but definitely related.

The early reviews I read from festival showings said Rumsfeld was smug and thoroughly unapologetic. I will see it. But I will not enjoy it.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

MRC48B posted:

The early reviews I read from festival showings said Rumsfeld was smug and thoroughly unapologetic. I will see it. But I will not enjoy it.

Yeah, the ones I've read say that Rumsfeld displays none of the guilt and self-criticism that McNamara has in Fog of War and reportedly, throughout his later life.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
I bet he would if we would have tossed his rear end and the rest of the Bush crew in prison like they deserve.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Dunno if I can watch smug Rumsfeld. McNamara had enough time to own who he was as a person and reflect upon it, and that's what made Fog of War a powerful documentary. I'll reserve judgement until I can watch it, but I'm betting this won't resonate as much.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

VikingSkull posted:

Dunno if I can watch smug Rumsfeld. McNamara had enough time to own who he was as a person and reflect upon it, and that's what made Fog of War a powerful documentary. I'll reserve judgement until I can watch it, but I'm betting this won't resonate as much.

I'd imagine it would be like watching the Nixon-Frost interview, without the admission/apology at the end. Nothing more enraging than watching some 150 year old Lizard Man act like everything he did was in the best interest of the American People. "Why yes, I did prevent a second 9/11 and made the world a better place. If you don't believe me, just ask Cheney over there". *camera pans to the corner of the room where Cheney is eating the heart out of the chest of a small child*

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If McNamara had left the White House worth anywhere from 65-120 million dollars (even adjusted for 1960-70 currency), I guarantee he'd have been as :smug: as Rumsfeld.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

McNamara was plenty rich before he ever set foot in the white house.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Blistex posted:

I'd imagine it would be like watching the Nixon-Frost interview, without the admission/apology at the end. Nothing more enraging than watching some 150 year old Lizard Man act like everything he did was in the best interest of the American People. "Why yes, I did prevent a second 9/11 and made the world a better place. If you don't believe me, just ask Cheney over there". *camera pans to the corner of the room where Cheney is eating the heart out of the chest of a small child*

And Cheney is all "Its either I consume this child's life-force or America looses her hyperpower status."

I'm hoping in the coming decades, Cheney becomes a standard movie/TV villain, sorta like Nixon.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

And Cheney is all "Its either I consume this child's life-force or America looses her hyperpower status."

I'm hoping in the coming decades, Cheney becomes a standard movie/TV villain, sorta like Nixon.

Coen brothers are like 15 years ahead of the curve.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
"THE BUMS WILL ALWAYS LOSE, LEBOWSKI!"

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Isn't Cheney basically the villain of Metal Gear Rising?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Let me know when this thread is done channeling Michael Moore, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

Let me know when this thread is done channeling Michael Moore, thanks.

So if we don't let you know, are we going to be deprived of your valuable posting?

making GBS threads on Rumsfeld/Cheney derail is still not nearly as bad as "why don't we just dump all our trash in Antarctica" derail.

Planes:

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 9, 2014