Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Vriska doesn't change or develop. Much like a merry-go-round she goes around and around hitting the same few points over and over again without actually moving forward (Vriskachat is the exact same way, endless and pointless and yet it just keeps going).

She follows a very strict pattern and that is: Vriska does horrible thing to someone(s)--->Vriska experiences justified backlash from the people around her because of the horrible thing---> Vriska feels bad about the backlash because it hurts her feelings, but feels no empathy for the people she hurt---> Vriska seeks/demands sympathy for her hurt feelings--->Vriska does another horrible thing to someone(s) else--->repeat ad nauseum

She's a histrionic narcissist, and her chat with Meenah doesn't indicate she'll be changing anytime soon. If anything she'll be more justified in her actions because the equally carelessly destructive Meenah is enabling her.

You know which villainous character actually HAS developed and become a better person through hard work and perseverance? Caliborn. As it stand now he's way more deserving of a redemption arc than she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Vriska doesn't change or develop. Much like a merry-go-round she goes around and around hitting the same few points over and over again without actually moving forward (Vriskachat is the exact same way, endless and pointless and yet it just keeps going).

She follows a very strict pattern and that is: Vriska does horrible thing to someone(s)--->Vriska experiences justified backlash from the people around her because of the horrible thing---> Vriska feels bad about the backlash because it hurts her feelings, but feels no empathy for the people she hurt---> Vriska seeks/demands sympathy for her hurt feelings--->Vriska does another horrible thing to someone(s) else--->repeat ad nauseum

She's a histrionic narcissist, and her chat with Meenah doesn't indicate she'll be changing anytime soon. If anything she'll be more justified in her actions because the equally carelessly destructive Meenah is enabling her.

You know which villainous character actually HAS developed and become a better person through hard work and perseverance? Caliborn. As it stand now he's way more deserving of a redemption arc than she is.

Caliborn actively seeks to end Homestuck and destroy everything about it. Truly the hero we need.

Dolash posted:

The last time we saw Vriska it seemed like she was letting go of the need to grab all the attention and be the hero, so doing some kind of Ultimate Sacrifice thing might not be the best resolution to that. Doing something purely supportive or cooperative might work though.

As for all the other dead trolls, no idea. They could just get erased right before the final battle to show how terrible the situation's gotten, but they've kind of been dead a long time and killing them again now wouldn't have much punch. Bringing them back to help contribute in the final battle in some small way makes sense. It's really hard to tell how the story will end though, so we might have all the trolls alive again somehow, or all passing on to whatever comes after the dream bubbles, or whatever.

I would enjoy it a lot if the Tavros/Sollux/Feferi/Nepeta crew were to survive to the end, maybe doing one last unexpectedly important thing in the final battle. Revenge of the minor characters! Might as well, what with how the dream bubbles have been used so far.

Honestly I really just want someone to do something of narrative importance that actually sticks. It feels like any time anyone's ever done anything major it was either to go back to a status quo of "We're waiting for the big thing/ending" or it was a psyche out and they don't get to do anything really. Hell, the few actions that fall outside of that have been kind of glossed over or nullified in one way or another (See: Every character that ever died for any reason or finished their story coming back and still being active members).

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Truly the hero we need.

And hilariously also the hero we deserve.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

You can't really make a call on how important Aranea is when she's only just started doing anything.

Ehhhh. I mean, now that she's introduced, maybe she'll do something important. And it's interesting how exposure to Vriska made her true-colors come out. But anything she's done so far? Could have been accomplished without her. Some other character could have forced Jake to skip his development. Gamzee would have done strange and contradictory things without her influence.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

At this point I'm expecting Hussie to emerge from the vast wilderness of wherever-the-gently caress-he-lives, dump around 1000 to 1500 pages on the site, and then go "Yeah, sorry, that's only part one I'll be back in another year".

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

He had to cancel an appearance at a recent con, I presume he either:

a) is feeling under the weather
b) was mobbed by fans
c) hit some huge creative streak and didn't want to be interrupted

Tumblr claimed B, but people make up stories all the time, so who knows. Whatever the reason, I think it'll be a bit until we see anything.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Bobulus posted:

He had to cancel an appearance at a recent con, I presume he either:

a) is feeling under the weather
b) was mobbed by fans
c) hit some huge creative streak and didn't want to be interrupted

Tumblr claimed B, but people make up stories all the time, so who knows. Whatever the reason, I think it'll be a bit until we see anything.

I look forward to the day when we refer to this period as "Gigapause: Year One". It'll become its own calendar.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Cabbit posted:

At this point I'm expecting Hussie to emerge from the vast wilderness of wherever-the-gently caress-he-lives, dump around 1000 to 1500 pages on the site, and then go "Yeah, sorry, that's only part one I'll be back in another year".

The untamed suburban jungle of Boston, MA

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Trebuchet King posted:

At this point I don't really care how it ends as long as it does.

I'd actually prefer it to remain unfinished forever than to have a rushed or disappointing ending.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, it's certainly not rushed.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Blackheart posted:

I'd actually prefer it to remain unfinished forever than to have a rushed or disappointing ending.

The longer the gigapause goes the more likely a disappointing ending is, I think.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Trebuchet King posted:

The longer the gigapause goes the more likely a disappointing ending is, I think.

Only if you operate under the delusion that every moment not updating is being spent on preparing the final update.
Oh who are we kidding, that's what most of these kids probably think.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
I for one am extremely disappointed that this comic artist hasn't finished a >700,000 writing project in fewer than five years and choose to interpret this as a deliberate slight against me, personally.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

AriadneThread posted:

Only if you operate under the delusion that every moment not updating is being spent on preparing the final update.
Oh who are we kidding, that's what most of these kids probably think.

Well, to be fair, there's plenty of examples of projects that went long and clearly suffered for it. Sometimes it's better to strike while the iron is hot and your head is still in the project, rather than let it lie fallow and get out of the routine.

Not to mention that even if the audience isn't equating time to quantity in an unrealistic way, the longer they wait the more excitement and investment tends to wane. Absence doesn't always make the heart grow fonder, and all that.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
He's written himself into a corner, he doesn't know how blubberous Vriska will even fit in the final flash.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I'm not referring to the quality of the update, exactly--moreso that the longer it takes to come out, the more anticipation/hype/what-have-you will drive up expectations. The trick is getting it good enough and out before the audience expectations reach a level that simply can't be satisfied.

I'm trying to come up with analogies but all I can come up with are Duke Nukem Forever and Star Wars Episode I, which were both just plain bad aside from hype issues.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
A Feast for Crows?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

A Feast for Crows?

I think if Hussie wanted to hit GRRM levels of quality, he'd need to churn out 1000 pages of Actual Mindfang rambling.

fake edit: """quality"""

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

at least there's no dragonbubbles or something so we can read seventeen books of dead starks talking to dead lannisters

That said Lord English does put me in mind of the White Walkers. Everyone's too busy loving around with their stupid gambits and ruses and I fully expect/hope they come out/over of Horrorterror Space/ the Wall and just kill everyone except like a few people.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 8, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Trebuchet King posted:

I'm not referring to the quality of the update, exactly--moreso that the longer it takes to come out, the more anticipation/hype/what-have-you will drive up expectations. The trick is getting it good enough and out before the audience expectations reach a level that simply can't be satisfied.

I'm trying to come up with analogies but all I can come up with are Duke Nukem Forever and Star Wars Episode I, which were both just plain bad aside from hype issues.

I can't really think of an example either, maybe the final installment of Half-life? But we won't know for sure until it come out, which it won't.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

WAR FOOT posted:

at least there's no dragonbubbles or something so we can read seventeen books of dead starks talking to dead lannisters

Yet

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
e: actually, no.

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 8, 2014

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

AriadneThread posted:

The untamed suburban jungle of Boston, MA

I thought he lived in Northampton with all the other webcomic people.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

loquacius posted:

I don't actually remember for sure, I was just making a joke.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

WAR FOOT posted:

That said Lord English does put me in mind of the White Walkers. Everyone's too busy loving around with their stupid gambits and ruses and I fully expect/hope they come out/over of Horrorterror Space/ the Wall and just kill everyone except like a few people.

If I was a funny and/or clever person, I would make a fake pesterlog of drunk dead Robert talking to dead Ned.

I am not funny and/or clever.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

loquacius posted:

He lives in Amherst.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

tinaun posted:

He lives in Amherst.

Eh Northampton is basically Amherst anyway

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

btw by "rushed" I didn't mean "written too quickly" but more like... I hope the ending feels natural and they don't solve every subplot in a bullshit way. (or at least make said bullshit fun)

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Blackheart posted:

btw by "rushed" I didn't mean "written too quickly" but more like... I hope the ending feels natural and they don't solve every subplot in a bullshit way. (or at least make said bullshit fun)

It's Homestuck, the only solving of plot is through bullshit.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

A Song of Ice and Fire spoilers: Honestly, depending where Bran's storyline is going, we might actually see something like this in the future.

And yeah, if there's one thing the finale should actually deliver on it's no-bullshit-actual-climaxes. So much stuff we wanted to see has gotten shuffled off-screen for the sake of pacing, and so many potential big plot shifts or reactions or what have you have been turned into hurried anti-climaxes.

The finale's when we find out if all those shortcuts were taken so that Hussie could really pull out the stops for the big finish, or if bullshit anticlimaxes are a fundamental part of Homestuck and Lord English/Caliborn get chumped right before any kind of final confrontation.

The fact that Problem Sleuth ended with a bang and a comprehensive epilogue encourages me to think he'll do the same with Homestuck, and hopefully having the extra time now is helping him put something like that together.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Is it too much too ask that Equius saves the day, and rides off into the sunset on a glorious musclebeast, a trail of sodden towels behind him?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

If I was a funny and/or clever person, I would make a fake pesterlog of drunk dead Robert talking to dead Ned.

I am not funny and/or clever.

And thank God for that.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

WAR FOOT posted:

Is it too much too ask that Equius saves the day, and rides off into the sunset on a glorious musclebeast, a trail of sodden towels behind him?

I wouldn't accept anything less. Goddamn I love Equius.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dolash posted:

A Song of Ice and Fire spoilers: Honestly, depending where Bran's storyline is going, we might actually see something like this in the future.

:negative: I'm sorry I even brought it up.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Ablative posted:

It's Homestuck, the only solving of plot is through bullshit.

It's Homestuck, the only plot is through bullshit.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WAR FOOT posted:

Nope.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The end of Homestuck will be Nepeta discussing the pros and cons of every quadrant pairing between all the trolls for pages upon pages upon pages, trailing on into infinity.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Who What Now posted:

The end of Homestuck will be Nepeta discussing the pros and cons of every quadrant pairing between all the trolls for pages upon pages upon pages, trailing on into infinity.

The fanbase would enjoy this unironically. That's why it would actually be Caliborn discussing the pros and cons of every possible combination of leprechaun charms for pages upon pages, trailing on into infinity.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

loquacius posted:

The fanbase would enjoy this unironically. That's why it would actually be Caliborn discussing the pros and cons of every possible combination of leprechaun charms for pages upon pages, trailing on into infinity.

I haven't looked at it since the Gigapause started, but from what I remember of Tumblr I'm pretty sure they would unironically enjoy this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
It'll be the one thing that really hacks the fanbase off: conflict between characters.