Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kurieg posted:

Dude, edit that out. He shows up in this game.

In a mission where Kerrigan specifically says "Hey kids, remember Brood War? We don't but just in case you do.."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

No idea what you guys are talking about. :psyduck:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

The_Frag_Man posted:

No idea what you guys are talking about. :psyduck:

Don't worry too much; we'll get to it when we get to it.

Of course, we won't cover it until Heart of the Swarm, but we should probably stop doing stupid oblique hints for things that won't happen in the LP for months. It makes the thread difficult to read, especially for people who haven't played the campaign.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I really do like how every single mission in this game is set up differently from all the others. Not just contextually, either, you have tangibly different goals and situations each time. It would have been so easy to just make it a "here's a new unit, use it in this mission" mission but they went the extra mile.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Phelddagrif posted:

That cinematic was actually a massive letdown for me, just because we never see that character take the form he did in Brood War.

That cinematic set up the thing that made me maddest about HOTS.

Besides Kerrigan not having a pack of 'Lings with her at all times, at any rate.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Feinne posted:

If Kerrigan were to be in an awesome cinematic where she fights a weird dude, and that weird dude were to be using an obviously fake name, you should look at the letters of that name and what else they spell.

I won't even say what to do with those letters, but if you know who I'm talking about I'm sure you'll be able to make it work and then will go 'oh, well of course'. Then kindly don't mention the results of your efforts so as to not spoil things.

How's that subtle? I thought they spell it out clearly in this game, even. Or have years of Playing through Blizzard writing given me predictive powers over their plot twists?

Anyway, you're right, let's drop it for now and focus on fishing for another LP update.

Jolan fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 8, 2014

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Speedball posted:

I really do like how every single mission in this game is set up differently from all the others. Not just contextually, either, you have tangibly different goals and situations each time. It would have been so easy to just make it a "here's a new unit, use it in this mission" mission but they went the extra mile.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. Sometimes you have to make a lot of money while dealing with death floors, sometimes you have to alternate your strategy based on the day/night cycle, sometimes you have to go for specific resources. Pretty nifty! It's too bad that sometimes you have to guard an NPC convoy, but hey, that's and RTS staple, so even if it's lame it'll be in there.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Jolan posted:

Anyway, you're right, let's drop it for now and focus on fishing for another LP update.

It was a big update, so you might need to reel really hard to make sure to get it in the boat!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

biosterous posted:

It's too bad that sometimes you have to guard an NPC convoy, but hey, that's and RTS staple, so even if it's lame it'll be in there.

Fortunately, SC2 gets that one out of the way nice and early. My personal bugbear of a mission is much later in the game, one that forces you to use Terran building mobility to the utmost.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cythereal posted:

Fortunately, SC2 gets that one out of the way nice and early. My personal bugbear of a mission is much later in the game, one that forces you to use Terran building mobility to the utmost.

Huh, can't remember that, it's too long ago that I played Wings of Liberty.

But the missions were still nice. I also like the more RPG-like missions, they put their WC3 experience with heroes to good use in the campaign.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Torrannor posted:

If I'm right, it's the level with the planet on fire that forces you to keep moving/expanding

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Torrannor posted:

But the missions were still nice. I also like the more RPG-like missions, they put their WC3 experience with heroes to good use in the campaign.

Oh indeed. My personal favorite is Breakout. Every so often I rerun that mission just to go for a better time (personal best is about 15 mins on Brutal).

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If I'm right, it's the level with the planet on fire that forces you to keep moving/expanding

Oh God, that mission is loving unbearable. It's also what I'm looking forward to the most in this LP because I'd love to see how you're actually supposed to win that poo poo show and get the achievements. Lord knows I barely finished it on Normal, gently caress even thinking about Brutal difficulty

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

The Door Frame posted:

Oh God, that mission is loving unbearable. It's also what I'm looking forward to the most in this LP because I'd love to see how you're actually supposed to win that poo poo show and get the achievements. Lord knows I barely finished it on Normal, gently caress even thinking about Brutal difficulty

I don't know, I found massing Wraiths and the new unit it introduces largely annihilates the opposition.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Feinne posted:

I don't know, I found massing Wraiths and the new unit it introduces largely annihilates the opposition.

There's a good chance I'm bad at star craft, but the wall of hellfire made it really hard for me to mass anything. Also, back then I was almost exclusively a bioball guy because it was OP in early multiplayer, so that may have contributed to my trouble with that mission now that I think about it....

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah air and quick moving ground is the way to go in that mission.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
That was certainly a memorable mission. I think I massed the unit they gave you for that mission, that was very effective.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Feinne posted:

I actually prefer to hold off on the Wraith mission until after that one, since I find the Wraith mission much tougher on Brutal without that unit.

Phelddagrif fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 9, 2014

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The second-best way to steamroll almost every Wings of Liberty mission is to mass the new unit for that mission.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

God, I can't wait till the LP gets to these places so I can/ understand what the hell everyone's talking about/ read those spoilers.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

RareAcumen posted:

God, I can't wait till the LP gets to these places so I can/ understand what the hell everyone's talking about/ read those spoilers.

If it makes you feel better, the spoilers on this page are all with regards to one specific mission. On the other hand, they are talking about the mission gimmick. The latest one is just the name of the unit, though.

Let me reiterate this very important thing from the OP:

Raldan posted:

All spoilers from Starcraft and Brood War are fair game, but nothing in SC2 that the LP has not gotten to yet. I know you have your opinions on how SC2 ruined the masterpiece of storytelling that was Brood War because reasons, but wait until we get to that point before complaining. The current playerbase for SC2 is pretty much solely multiplayer based, so comparing singleplayer and multiplayer is fine, but try not to get too sidetracked. Anything not LP related should be taken to A Blizzard Subforum.

Cut back on the spoilers guys.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
:siren:Update:siren:

Voting:

Upgrade
120,000 Credits available

Advanced Medic Facilities
- Medics no longer require the Tech Lab add-on.
60,000 Credits

Kinetic Foam
- Marauders gain +25 life.
90,000 Credits

Twin-Linked Flamethrowers
- Doubles width of Hellion's flame attack.
40,000 Credits

Thermite Filaments
- Hellions do +10 damage to light units.
60,000 Credits

Titanium Housing
- Missile Turrets gain +75 life.
50,000 Credits

Maelstrom Rounds
- Siege Tanks do +40 damage to primary target.
- Splash damage remains the same.
105,000 Credits

Shaped Blast
- Shock Cannon does 75% less damage to friendly units.
140,000 Credits

Advanced Construction
- Multiple SCVs can build a structure.
- Each additional SCV reduces build time.
- Building cost remains the same.
60,000 Credits

Dual-Fusion Welders
- SCVs repairs twice as fast.
80,000 Credits

Mercenary
Siege Breakers
Elite Siege Tanks
45,000 Credits

Research

Orbital Depots
- Supply Depots are built instantly.

Micro-Filtering
- Refineries produce vespene gas 25% faster.
- Also applies to the Automated Refinery.

Mission

The Great Train Robbery
110,000 Credits
3 Zerg Research
New unit: Diamondback

Safe Haven
-Protect The Colony
3 Zerg Research
-Purify the Colony
3 Protoss Research
125,000 Credits
New unit: Viking

Voting will end Monday April 14th at 11:00 pm EST

The new missions we have access to can be done at any time, so we will be running through those concurrently as we do the main terran missions. Each of the main line missions will be preceeded by a protoss mission until we are finished. Since all we get is a little research from these missions, voting will be taken only after each terran mission. This means our next update will be the protoss mission, and the update after that will be the mission you vote for.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Maelstrom Rounds, Micro-Filtering, The Great Train Robbery

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Safe Haven - Purify with fire

Siege Breakers
Orbital Depots

I didn't realise it automatically won the mission when you cleared out the Protoss, thought you'd have to wait for the drill to finish with the door.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 13, 2014

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Votes

Maelstrom Rounds

Safe Haven
-Protect The Colony

Let's go rob some trains

Micro-Filtering
- Refineries produce vespene gas 25% faster.
- Also applies to the Automated Refinery.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 13, 2014

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I don't care about the others just Burn Them!

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
Siege Breakers, The Great Train Robbery, and Micro Filtering

Siege Breakers are probably one of my favorite picks among the mercs available, and I love combining Micro Filtering with Automated Refinery.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Save your Credits
Maelstrom rounds are great, but when we're this poor, let's not spend 80% of our money on a mission that won't have much of a use for them
Safe Haven-Kill With fire
gently caress the colonists, they're ungrateful asses that have ruined two planets by unwittingly carrying spores. This is how we cured the last outbreak, right?

Micro Filters
You seem to have great macro, getting gas 25% faster would be the most useful here

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 13, 2014

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Also, it is worth noting that medics are only focused down in Brutal. Failed attacks on hard difficulty leaves you with a ton of medics healing each other in the enemy base

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This is the third time I've seen the mission, and I'm ashamed to say I've only just now noticed the Back to the Future reference.

ArkhamPraetor
Sep 11, 2011
Maelstrom Rounds, Burn the Colony, Micro-filtering
Unless you have plans to offensively wall in enemies, in which case Orbital Depots sounds fun.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

The Door Frame posted:

Save your Credits
Maelstrom rounds are great, but when we're this poor, let's not spend 80% of our money on a mission that won't have much of a use for them
Safe Haven-Kill With fire
gently caress the colonists, they're ungrateful asses that have ruined two planets by unwittingly carrying spores. This is how we cured the last outbreak, right?
Micro Filters
You seem to have great macro, getting gas 25% faster would be the most useful here

Gonna agree with these options, I think.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Safe Haven:Protect the Colony. Raynor doesn't desert people when there's a chance to save them.

Save money for now
Micro-Filtering

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm just going to say one thing: Choosing Haven's mission now will permanently lock us out of some dialogue related to Zeratul's missions. If anyone in the thread wants to see everything from the game, hold off on Haven.

With that out of the way, my votes:

Seige Breakers, Micro Filtering, and The Great Train Robbery.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm just going to say one thing: Choosing Haven's mission now will permanently lock us out of some dialogue related to Zeratul's missions. If anyone in the thread wants to see everything from the game, hold off on Haven.
This is true.

With some more Zerg Research we unlock Predators, which are simultaneously the most awesome and worthless unit in the game. They must be shown off.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

AradoBalanga posted:

Oh, well in that case I'm changing my mission vote to The Great Train Robbery

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

Huh, I never found that out. Also changing my vote to Maelstrom and Train Robbery

Chilblain
Oct 20, 2012

"You used some rude language towards me."
For that reason alone, I'll drop you into hell.
I have no strong opinion about the other stuff but I'd really like to see some Infernal Pre-Igniters. Well, whatever the heck blue flame is called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Micro-Filtering, Seige Breakers, and if we go to Haven I vote for Purification, otherwise my vote is for the Great Train Robbery.

Looking forward to the choice missions, I haven't done two of them at all before. Purifying the colonists and another one much later.

• Locked thread