Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Boomer The Cannon posted:

This is A Bad Opinion. What the gently caress did you want, Windsor?

Dale Hunter is a whiny crybaby cheater that constantly bends and breaks the rules and never gets any disciplinary action held against him when hes caught. gently caress him. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Furnaceface posted:

Dale Hunter is a whiny crybaby cheater that constantly bends and breaks the rules and never gets any disciplinary action held against him when hes caught. gently caress him. :colbert:
:dealwithit:

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

eXXon posted:

I'm glad the Leafs are almost certainly going to miss the playoffs because that means more Morgan Reilly for the Marlies. Now that's :getin: worthy. Oh yeah, and getting Drew MacIntyre back.

No way dude, Morgan Rielly is dub property until he's 20. Can't play in the AHL until then. He'd go down to Moose Jaw for the rest of the year if they were still in it (they're not)

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
And since they're not in it, he's allowed to play in the AHL.

However he may have needed to be on the Clear Day Roster, which he wouldn't have been. Not sure.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Texas Stars tie their franchise record with 99 points in a season. The previous time they accomplished this feat it was an 80 game regular season in the AHL, they are now 71 games into a 76 game season so they'll try to get as many of the 10 remaining points to set a new record.

It's nice to know that somewhere buried deep in the Stars system there is a guy who knows how to build an elite hockey team. Let's get him contributing to the NHL Stars asap.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

toe knee hand posted:

However he may have needed to be on the Clear Day Roster, which he wouldn't have been. Not sure.

They eliminated clear day. Reilly is a Toronto signed draft pick and is eligible if I read the rules correctly.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

toe knee hand posted:

i think they got rid of the clear day roster because it was stupid and confusing

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Verviticus posted:

i think they got rid of the clear day roster because it was stupid and confusing

The Clear Day rosters were eliminated in the last CBA, though teams still apparently need to do paper transactions at some point so that guys are playoff-eligible in the AHL. Basically, in lieu of a Clear Day roster, once the NHL trade deadline passed, teams could do paper transactions to make players eligible for the AHL playoffs. The playoff teams will submit a playoff roster the day after the regular season ends. To be eligible for the AHL playoffs you have to be:

- Recalled by your parent club AFTER the NHL trade deadline, or
- A signed draft pick (who has theoretically finished his college/major junior season) or
- An unsigned player signed to a tryout deal or
- A player called up from a lower league, provided you've played in at least 8 AHL games in the 13-14 season.

So, in Toronto's case, Reilly would be eligible to play in the AHL playoffs.

Clear day was pointless, for any number of reasons, and I am not entirely sure that I agree with the system that is in place now, you can make it so simple by giving a flat "Anyone who is waiver-exempt" rule for AHL playoff eligibility, and maybe 1 or 2 free passes to send someone who would be subject to waivers down, or whatever.

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

FinnDiesel posted:

Results of finnish leagues matches today:
Kärpät - SaiPa 0-1 (0-0,0-0,0-0,0-1) Overtime win, plenty of chanches on regular time, but Jussi Markkanen and Tomi Karhunen were on fire today.

Tappara - Lukko 0-1 (0-0,0-0,0-0,0-1) Another overtime win, didn't see this match, but I did see this:

Both series are 2-1, with Kärpät and Tappara leading.
Thanks for picking up my slack and updating. :hfive:

That Nick Bailen hit is loving brutal. Oof. There's been some awful hits in these playoffs.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Guignol posted:

No way dude, Morgan Rielly is dub property until he's 20. Can't play in the AHL until then. He'd go down to Moose Jaw for the rest of the year if they were still in it (they're not)

... Rielly turned 20 last month.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.

eXXon posted:

... Rielly turned 20 last month.

But this isn't his age 20 season, next season will be.

Doesn't really matter in this case, but yeah.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Starsfan posted:

It's nice to know that somewhere buried deep in the Stars system there is a guy who knows how to build an elite hockey team. Let's get him contributing to the NHL Stars asap.

The Texas Stars GM is a Stars AGM, so he already is?

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
Drouin has 19 points in 6 playoff games :swoon:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

7lip posted:

But this isn't his age 20 season, next season will be.

Doesn't really matter in this case, but yeah.

Sure, but if the rules are similar to what they used to be, players need to have their 20th birthday by Dec. 31 to be eligible, so prior to Dec. 31 you can have 19 year-olds that are eligible to play prior to turning 20, whereas later on you have 20 year-olds that aren't eligible despite being 20. Point is that being 20 on any given day doesn't necessarily make you eligible or not.

If the rules have changed from the last CBA, then I don't know. I can't seem to actually find clear eligibility rules on the AHL's website or anywhere else.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The 'under 20' rule is a gentleman's agreement between the NHL and the CHL. If a player turns twenty before December 31st of that year (e.g. for the 2013/14 season it was December 31, 1993; Rielly would be eligible for the 2014/15 season as he is a 94 birthday), they are eligible to play in the AHL. It's not an on the books rule though, and technically the AHL allows players from all leagues starting from age 18.

With that said, there's also an unwritten rule that says once a player's CHL season is done they can sign an ATO with an AHL team. Moose Jaw didn't make the playoffs, so I believe Rielly would be eligible to play for the Marlies.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I could have sworn that was a rule on the books and it was only people from leagues outside North America that could play in the AHL below 20. You would find the occasional European at nineteen in the league.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
CHL players can after their season is over on an ATO, but they go back to junior for the next year. For example, Greg Chase is a 19 year old playing in OKC right now that will likely go back to Calgary next year

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Schremp Howard posted:

I could have sworn that was a rule on the books and it was only people from leagues outside North America that could play in the AHL below 20. You would find the occasional European at nineteen in the league.

Nope, the CHL/AHL Over 20 rule is entirely a gentleman's agreement. Officially the AHL's position is that they are open to players over the age of 18 without restrictions. Their rules state:

quote:

Per AHL By-Laws, the age limit for eligibility to compete in the American Hockey League is 18 years or over, on or before September 15 of each season of competition.

Players whose rights aren't owned by a CHL team can play in the AHL at any time if they like (Zemgus Girgensons is a recent example of a player being drafted at 18 and sent straight to the AHL). This primarily means European born and raised players, but not exclusively.

However, players with CHL eligibility are not assigned to the AHL by NHL teams if they could still be playing in the CHL because it would dilute the CHL's talent (and by extension revenue through losing all its stars), and the NHL depends on it to be a premier junior development league for its players.

An NHL team could technically assign a 1995/96 born prospect to the AHL next year, but the CHL would blacklist them forever for doing it. They'd also probably fight it in courts and there's a ton of precedent there, but officially the AHL is open to players over 18.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 7, 2014

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
As I haven't seen a video of the incident yet and our campus Internet is barely functional, I must ask - did Josh Ho-Sang deserve 15 games for whatever it was he did? Worth twice as long a suspension as Stolarz got for swinging his stick at Ho-Sang's head?

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
No, if Zach Bell hadn't broken his leg it'd most likely only be a 2min minor with no supplemental discipline.

E: vid: http://youtu.be/4Qabu7MaJzk go to 1m10s

7lip fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 7, 2014

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

7lip posted:

No, if Zach Bell hadn't broken his leg it'd most likely only be a 2min minor with no supplemental discipline.

E: vid: http://youtu.be/4Qabu7MaJzk go to 1m10s

Can't get the video to work here, but that seems in line with the opinions I've heard. Is Branch nuts or something?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
A 15 game suspension? For that shove I saw at the 1 minute mark of the video?

There was absolutely nothing to that

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Starsfan posted:

A 15 game suspension? For that shove I saw at the 1 minute mark of the video?

There was absolutely nothing to that

The only thing I can remotely think as to how they could justify that is that maybe they think that there was a slewfoot in addition to the shove. And I really don't see it- 15 games is absurd.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
The Royals just beat the Winterhawks 2-1 in Game 3 in Victoria. They were 19 seconds from a shutout which would've been the first time Portland was shutout since 2011 (The Winterhawks averaged almost 5 goals for per game this season). :monocle:

Anyway, Victoria is back in the series. Portland leads 2-1, game 4 is tomorrow.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
That was a good game. Portland still looked like the better team, but unlike the first two games where it basically seemed like they could move the puck around as much as they wanted and score whenever they liked, in this game Victoria was a lot better at intercepting and breaking up Portland's play in the offensive zone.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
there cannot be two Fisticuffs where can I find this pinko Ruski fucker

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
NHLCS released their final rankings today. Sam Bennett is still #1.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

he knows...

Hand Knit posted:

Scherbak jumped up ten places since their last ranking holy shiiiiiiiit
Clearly trucking that Moose Jaw goaltender was the best thing he could do for his career. He even made the centrefold in the Sportsnet Bimonthly Shitrag!

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

Kasperi Kapanen best European skater and Ville Husso best European goalie. :getin:

The amount of Checking Line Forwards on the list as a whole makes me happy. Especially compared to the tough times we've had with prospects in previous years. :unsmith:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Ehlers please Gillis. We need all the Danes we can get.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

Brendan, Son of Clod, Lemieux moved up into the top 30? I must be missing something because he sure hasnt looked that good to me this year. I thought Labanc looked way better and hes down in the 4th round area.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

he knows...

Furnaceface posted:

Brendan, Son of Clod, Lemieux moved up into the top 30? I must be missing something because he sure hasnt looked that good to me this year. I thought Labanc looked way better and hes down in the 4th round area.

Saskatoon's backup goalie is still ranked 28th despite having a sub .880 GAA and missing most of the season with groin injuries, so who knows how they evaluate this stuff

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Guignol posted:

Scherbak jumped up ten places since their last ranking holy shiiiiiiiit
Clearly trucking that Moose Jaw goaltender was the best thing he could do for his career. He even made the centrefold in the Sportsnet Bimonthly Shitrag!

i was hoping scherbak would be around for the rangers. i guess there's still some slight hope there.

scherbak, pastrnak, ehlers, those are the guys i want the most. no more safe good american/canadian kids. euros only

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

he knows...

a false posted:

i was hoping scherbak would be around for the rangers. i guess there's still some slight hope there.

scherbak, pastrnak, ehlers, those are the guys i want the most. no more safe good american/canadian kids. euros only

Holy poo poo if you're looking for unsafe, scherbak is the rickety bridge across a mile deep chasm of your dreams

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

OHL nightly roundup:

Barrie edged North Bay 2-1 to breathe life back into the series. :toot:
Windsor beat London 4-2. Because gently caress London. :toot:
Oshawa beat Peterborough 3-1 and is really in command of that series. A sweep would surprise no one.
Erie beat the Soo 3-2 in OT, completing the sweep.

I really expected that Erie-Soo series to be the longest and it turned out to be the shortest.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Apparently Connor Brown was doing work defensively that series. Pronman called him an "elite PKer" earlier today, which is pretty good news although I don't understand hockey prospects well enough to know whether that's the sort of thing that would translate to the NHL if Brown continues to be small.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

Apparently Connor Brown was doing work defensively that series. Pronman called him an "elite PKer" earlier today, which is pretty good news although I don't understand hockey prospects well enough to know whether that's the sort of thing that would translate to the NHL if Brown continues to be small.

Hes 6'0 175lbs, so not exactly tiny or anything. But yeah, he looked really good in that series. No idea how it will translate to the NHL though, especially with the Leafs track record of calling up guys too early then considering them busts when they dont immediately light up the league. :(

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Oil Kings shamefully let in 2 goals in their 5-2 win to go 3-0 on the series

:mad:

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
4-3 Portland over Victoria making it 3-1 in the series. Close game, though it was really only as close as it was because Burke let in a couple softies. Any team that's able to get a lot of shots on him, especially on odd man rushes, will beat Portland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Tough loss, Victoria definitely had their chances. Was a fun game to be at, but the lady behind me was such a dumb hockey fan stereotype. On multiple occasions she yelled "shoooooot" when the Royals were carrying the puck on their own side of center, or when on the backhand at the blueline, or when facing the corner behind the net. And practically every time Portland held possession she repeatedly screamed "just take it!" or "why don't they just take it awayyyyyyy?" in the whiniest voice possible. People are weird, man. Real weird. I found it funny because hey, at least she cares. But still. Been to hundreds of games in my life and there's always somebody like that, but this lady was a special, special breed.

• Locked thread