Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Tibeerius posted:

I totally missed this joke; roughly when was it?

2nd Episode Spoiler:

When the other developers are talking about including Big Head in the company, they mention something about how the it doesn't matter what you do in the Mass Effect 3 finale.
I can't remember exactly the joke since its been a few days and I was drunk at the after party. Sorry :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

sleepingbuddha posted:

Good show, it's like Big Bang Theory, but written by and for intelligent people.
What exactly marks this show apart as "for intelligent people"?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

coffeetable posted:

No laugh track and no "SPEAK ENGLISH" so far is what I assume s/he meant.

*Also, just realized that this really is the BBT. You've got 3(4) awkward white guys and an Indian.
Plus you've got "the chick"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

coffeetable posted:

Too soon to tell, but doing nothing dumb is a good sign.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I'm so excited for this show going forward, it's built entirely upon a King of the Hill dream team ...

I had no idea :stare:

quote:

It's too bad the guy playing Peter Gregory died, because even in 3 minutes of screentime it was readily apparent that he could play an incredible weirdo.

I...I had no idea who he was, let alone that :cry:

I'm hoping he got to finish out filming the rest of the season, at least?

Apparently his name was Christopher Evan Welsh. This is a very good article about his career with a few choice clips, written by somebody who's heartbroken he couldn't interview the guy after being floored by his performance in Silicon Valley.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This looks like an awesome show. The pilot was very pretty good, however I think it perfectly set up the following season so I'll probably only get better from now on.

Also I do work at a certain three-letter tech company so I'm completely immune to some buzzwords already (SaaS, cloud) but the whole crazy startup culture thankfully either never existed, or is long gone, although in its place is the traditional mega-corp experience. I'm curious how people who are not at all exposed to this world end up perceiving the show.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cicero posted:

Yeah bike meetings are real, although they're rare. I've worked here a couple months now and have only seen one in-progress. Now I want to do one though.

In fact the bike model in the episode looks like the same one as on Google's campus. They may have borrowed it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Having grown up in Silicon Valley in a tech engineer family I think "Welcome to Costco I love you" would work just as well here

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lol at the guy with a helmet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's no South Asian guy here :confused:

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I gotta admit, I didn't think you could make that many tired tech jokes in 30 minutes. Maybe episode 2 will reach the height of hilarity with doge jokes. Or maybe that's planned for season 2.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Voted Worst Mom posted:

I gotta admit, I didn't think you could make that many tired tech jokes in 30 minutes. Maybe episode 2 will reach the height of hilarity with doge jokes. Or maybe that's planned for season 2.

Are they really tired tech jokes if that's literally the environment of Silicon Valley right now?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

computer parts posted:

Are they really tired tech jokes if that's literally the environment of Silicon Valley right now?

The reality of Silicon Valley is funnier than anything on the show such as all the creepy billboards along 101 which were probably intended to target robots.

Valleywag is pretty much the best sort of quick crime blotter report on real world silicon valley weirdness or downright greed.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

Yeah. Just like it's a tired joke to make fun of reddit for being full of child molesters or w/e even if it's literally happening right now. People in tech have been making fun of these same things for the last 5 years, at least. Hey look, that doctor tried to sell HIM a prototype, see it's funny because everyone is a part of a lovely startup in SV. :regd08:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Yeah. Just like it's a tired joke to make fun of reddit for being full of child molesters or w/e even if it's literally happening right now. People in tech have been making fun of these same things for the last 5 years, at least. Hey look, that doctor tried to sell HIM a prototype, see it's funny because everyone is a part of a lovely startup in SV. :regd08:

Are you in the Silicon Valley area?

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

Are you in the Silicon Valley area?

Yeah, and I work at a tech company in that area. I'm just sore that they're making fun of me in a totally imaginative way!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Yeah, and I work at a tech company in that area. I'm just sore that they're making fun of me in a totally imaginative way!

Nice to meet you Elon Musk.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

Nice to meet you Elon Musk.

Stop it, you're giving me a poorly scripted panic attack.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

As someone who was once involved in this insane attempt to get funding for a startup, this was great.

I'm happy that it wasn't some The Social Network style of website / app, but that it was a technology that really could revolutionize everything while at the same time not be glamorous as it truly is more computer science based.

Who is goatee + muttonchop? He's familiar, but nobody on IMDB is standing out except for Zach Woods.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Mike Judge is great, this show is great, and between this and Veep, HBO is really stepping up and giving me my satire fix. Please someone gif me Gregory driving off in that fuckin car.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

geeves posted:

Who is goatee + muttonchop? He's familiar, but nobody on IMDB is standing out except for Zach Woods.

TJ Miller

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Thanks, man. I kind of smirked at the original reveal of the car from the side, but when he turned the corner I was dying.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

geeves posted:

He was Hud in Cloverfield.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

teagone posted:

He was Hud in Cloverfield.
And he was in YOGI BEAR YEAHHH DENVER YEAHHHH. Sorry.

Comedy nerd loving this show because it is funny and has lots of good comedic actors in it. I am actually very surprised by Thomas Middleditch, who I only knew from Pete Holmes' podcast "You Made It Weird" where I thought he was, quite literally, insane. He's fantastic in this.

Voted Worst Mom posted:

It's funny because you meant it as a shot at the show but it is actually true :)

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
YEAHHHHHHH TJ MILLER YEAHHHH.

Fat bitches don't deserve love. I've been hearing about this show from all these dudes on podcasts clearly....

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

double negative posted:

Mike Judge is great, this show is great, and between this and Veep, HBO is really stepping up and giving me my satire fix. Please someone gif me Gregory driving off in that fuckin car.

Even funnier he got a STEM degree and also had a short stint at a bay area startup before getting disillusioned with a life of nerdom, "The people I met were like Stepford Wives. They were true believers in something, and I don't know what it was""

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Ugh. Bit in the beginning about rent around here was 100% accurate and 100% depressing.

It's a little odd how it's lambasting the culture while, in it's own way, promoting a pretty standard start-up narrative.

e: Actually, I guess we'll see. I'm excited.

e2: Also, in the Slate review criticizing the show for not being harsh enough, there was this sentence: "Harsh is anything having to do with Something Awful or 4chan. ". I guess they were disappointed there wasn't enough of this site?

foutre fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 9, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I loved the cheap shot at Palo Alto, for people not familiar with the bay area it was originally a blue collar bedroom community for SF but now due to the tech bubble is the land of lovely ranch style houses selling for 1.5 million+

It's pretty much why you have incubator houses with 8-9 nerds living in a single house like in the show since the high housing costs making it pretty much impossible for most people to have their own place.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
If you don't already love TJ Miller, here's a primer.

http://youtu.be/Kf9N5AWprG8

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

Postal Parcel posted:

No laugh track and no "SPEAK ENGLISH" so far is what I assume s/he meant.

*Also, just realized that this really is the BBT. You've got 3(4) awkward white guys and an Indian.
Plus you've got "the chick"

The only parallel with BBT I'll acknowledge of this: even if the show itself stops being funny, if it successfully trolls nerds, it's worthy of its existence.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Voted Worst Mom posted:

So it's old and unfunny for the 0.1% of the population who lives in Silicon valley. For the actual audience, which is regular non-tech people and tech people who know about silicon valley but don't actually work there, it's fresh and funny.

If you make a comedy about an incredibly specific group of people, yeah, some of that ingroup are going to find the jokes tired because they've been in that group and making those jokes for years. That's pretty much unavoidable.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

foutre posted:

e2: Also, in the Slate review criticizing the show for not being harsh enough, there was this sentence: "Harsh is anything having to do with Something Awful or 4chan. ". I guess they were disappointed there wasn't enough of this site?

Or he was saying the site is something awful? I don't know, I do agree it'd be more interesting to see the cut throat side of SV and maybe it's too early to tell but it seems like it could go either way. They ended on a positive note despite the "dilemma" presented to him (Make lots of money now or make some money and then possibly even more money later). So question is if it's going to be tech Entourage or I don't know...King of The Hill in Palo Alto?

Also the Slate guy sounds like a fun guy to have at parties

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

So question is if it's going to be tech Entourage or I don't know...King of The Hill in Palo Alto?

I don't really think it'll be either of those things. I figure that as Hendrix's company starts to blow up, we're going to see the main characters abandon their plan to deviate from standard tech culture and probably start to turn on each other.

I certainly don't expect the vacuousness of an Entourage, although this show makes me realize how great Entourage could've been if it was less of a fantasy and a bit more self-deprecating.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

foutre posted:

It's nice to know we are still consider to be part of the assholes of the internet

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Fatkraken posted:

So it's old and unfunny for the 0.1% of the population who lives in Silicon valley. For the actual audience, which is regular non-tech people and tech people who know about silicon valley but don't actually work there, it's fresh and funny.

Bazinga

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

foutre posted:

Ugh. Bit in the beginning about rent around here was 100% accurate and 100% depressing.

It's a little odd how it's lambasting the culture while, in it's own way, promoting a pretty standard start-up narrative.

e: Actually, I guess we'll see. I'm excited.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2014/04/silicon_valley_reviewed_hbo_s_new_series_is_one_big_wasted_opportunity.html

quote:

Silicon Valley writer Clay Tarver has said, “When I first read the pilot, I thought maybe it was too harsh.” If Silicon Valley is harsh, then Brooklyn Nine-Nine is Serpico. Harsh would be tech billionaire Peter Thiel plotting to build a private offshore nation on the one hand while building government surveillance tools with his company Palantir on the other. Harsh would be Zynga ex-CEO Mark Pincus doing “every horrible thing in the book just to get revenues” (his words), then extorting stock options from his own employees. Harsh would be Sony installing viral rootkits on their customers’ desktops to prevent them from ripping CDs. Harsh is anything having to do with Something Awful or 4chan. There is an abundance of ripe and ready targets, none of which the show sees fit to mention.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
So which one of you wrote that?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I don't really understand the anger that Slate writer has....I think Judge is at least making an effort to capture what's going on there - along with some good attempted bits of sarcasm and local humor. His experiences 25+ years ago, which of course inspired Office Space, aren't really applicable these days (unless you work somewhere like the CA State Government, Cisco, HP, Kaiser Permanente, etc :suicide: where you will be bombed with red tape on a daily basis). It sounds like he worked at some prehistoric shop like Amdahl or something.

My own experiences in SV mostly from 1997-2003 were not vastly different and being an older goon I've seen everything culture-wise from the "neo-fascist button down suits required type" places in the 1990's like Siebel Systems to working at a data center startup in 1999 that shared an office park with Google in some old Intuit buildings on San Antonio Rd where we looked across some smelly pond at "those dorks with beanbags, goofy colors, and their privates kitchen and deck" with laughter. My later work always took me to SF and places like Salesforce where there was definitely a more whacky culture and absolutely no dress code at all by 2007.

"Man Jose" is absolutely true, and fun places like Campbell and Los Gatos help, but there is definitely a shortage of 20 something ladies. It seems they all flock to the SF Marina and once they want to have kids move back down to Los Altos Hills or Monte Sereno with some geek multi-millionaire in tow (or vice versa).

The "fugly" mid century tract houses going for $1.5m is very true, although some of the original Eichlers near me in Sunnvale were very nice once they were updated and the leaky flat roofs fixed.

A lot of the huge sprawled out complexes still around now originated from the old defense industry days and of course the huge campuses like SGI, SUN, PALM, etc were in and manufacturing plants like AMD, Intel, HP had until the 90's as well. Even Yahoo was in ugly brown 70's styled complexes until 2000+.

...as far as the SA reference if some casual user just found the forums and only looked at the top 3 like FYAD, BYOB or even Gen Bullshit they might draw that same conclusion, we all know the real value is in the actual subforums.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Keyser S0ze posted:

"Man Jose" is absolutely true, and fun places like Campbell and Los Gatos help, but there is definitely a shortage of 20 something ladies. It seems they all flock to the SF Marina and once they want to have kids move back down to Los Altos Hills or Monte Sereno with some geek multi-millionaire in tow (or vice versa).

Yeah due to the massive nerd invasion Santa Clara county has more guys than girls.

Also the show is pretty accurate focusing on the cast makeup since the whole horrible startup/VC culture tends to male dominated.

Even the various job ads on 101 for IT or engineering always seem to show the same smiling white nerd guy with glasses.

• Locked thread