Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

deathbagel posted:

My hopes are crushed again... drat you for not taking into account the lack of reading comprehension of the average goon!

Hope. We can all live in hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

New article up at IGN.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Wow a decent article. How much did you pay them?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
That's a pretty gross accusation, dude.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

How much did they refuse to pay you?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

flatluigi posted:

That's a pretty gross accusation, dude.

In case you're not joking, it's a jab at IGN, not Gaslamp.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

AnonSpore posted:

It's still a pretty tacky joke to make to the developers directly.

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
They let them play the game, is that not all the payment anyone requires?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnonSpore posted:

I read it that way, too. The implication is that IGN articles are usually terrible.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Wow a decent article. How much did you pay them?
A bucket of cogs and a few slabs of "meat".

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming

Nietzschean posted:

I read it that way, too. The implication is that IGN articles are usually terrible.

The implication is also that Clockwork Empires is a bad game and a decent review means IGN had to be bribed. I agree, it was a tacky joke.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

bladedsmoke posted:

The implication is also that Clockwork Empires is a bad game and a decent review means IGN had to be bribed. I agree, it was a tacky joke.

The implication is that IGN's scores (on AAA games) are proportional to the amount of money thrown at them - they can give a low score to an good game and a high score to a terrible steaming pile of poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The implication is hurrlrngghhugfmgspdmfzczx;wa perhaps we should talk about the game rather than IGN.

I had a question related to one of the blog posts I read a little while back, I gather that you can modify the terrain height, and I was wondering two things:

1. Does this have a gameplay effect? Does going up and down slopes make a difference to people in the game and...

2. I really like one of the pictures of the water shader I saw, can you dig trenches and build artificial lakes, and do these serve as barriers to entities on the map? Essentially can I build an awesome moat around my town and a beastly castle on top of a hill which is hard to attack?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

bladedsmoke posted:

If you think that`s what that implied then you
a) are completely oblivious to the history of IGN and
b) probably aren't going to enjoy the humor in the game that you are "defending"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Can I bribe someone to make the thread not derail about IGN and their dubious history? Because I would love to do that.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming

Gibbo posted:

If you think that`s what that implied then you
a) are completely oblivious to the history of IGN and
b) probably aren't going to enjoy the humor in the game that you are "defending"

I was unaware that Clockwork Empires was a biting satire on the games journalism industry.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I have a confession to make: I've been reading the dev blogs as they've come out, but somehow I never actually noticed the tags at the end of every dev blog post until today.

Oh my word.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

I have a confession to make: I've been reading the dev blogs as they've come out, but somehow I never actually noticed the tags at the end of every dev blog post until today.

Oh my word.
You know what you must do now.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Volmarias posted:

Can I bribe someone to make the thread not derail about IGN and their dubious history? Because I would love to do that.

It's me. PM me and I'll give you the info to send me money.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance
David had fun with the GIF tool today:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/04/09/thaddeus-bronzewhistle-loyal-subject-to-the-queen/

(and now, back to debugging these @#$@ing parties that will never end.)

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Time to replace the combat music with yakkity sax.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

nvining posted:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/04/09/thaddeus-bronzewhistle-loyal-subject-to-the-queen/

They just want to celebrate I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

nvining posted:

That's an excellent update :allears:

You should include some kind of feature where I can "bookmark" certain people and track them with a tooltip on the side of my screen. This way I can better construct fantastic narratives!

nvining
May 30, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

You should include some kind of feature where I can "bookmark" certain people and track them with a tooltip on the side of my screen. This way I can better construct fantastic narratives!

This is... not a bad idea.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Demiurge4 posted:

Dude that is a great idea!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

nvining posted:

This is... not a bad idea.

You can do it in Banished! Too bad the people in Banished have absolutely no personality. :(

It would be an amazing feature for this game though. Hell, let us bookmark other things, like Artifacts or that Axe thats been conveniently found at three different murders in three different hands.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

You can do it in the original Settlers too. I remember when I was a kid I had one town with a deer "penned" into a field right in the center, I always had a little window open at the side watching it. :3:

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

There's also a similar character-tagging feature in Crusader Kings 2, which puts any important events happening to that character into your ingame news feed dealie, which is a great laugh when you're playing the Game of Thrones mod and want to see what hilarious off-canon hijinks major characters get up to.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Hay nvining are you guys to the point where you could do a twitch stream of clockwork? I think it would be funny listening to the random poo poo you've come up with.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

nvining posted:

Getting some serious vibes of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2k1iRD2f-c

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

nvining posted:

Yes, that was intended to be correct: that was only for golden ticket winners. My bad. :)

(Have you seen our new website and mailing list yet? http://www.clockworkempires.com has a few new screenshots, I think, that were put up last week. there's also a mailing list. You will like the mailing list.)

I signed up for the mailing list back in December and have only ever received the confirmation e-mail and nothing else.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

If characters can forget things by having too much to drink or the like will they have memories of having forgotten things? On the other side can they have false memories implanted in them? Either by communist cultists trying to make them think The Queen had mistreated them or by Applied Reverse Phrenology to make the republican saboteur into a hard working laborer? Or the more subtle cursed swamp that simply adds a false memory of having forgotten something.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It would be an amazing feature for this game though. Hell, let us bookmark other things, like Artifacts or that Axe thats been conveniently found at three different murders in three different hands.

Can objects pick up traits at all? In dwarf fortress for example weapons keep track of kills and can eventually get names. This can lead to wonderful things like a minotaur tearing a dwarf's sock off and beating him to death with it as well as the rest of the militia and it eventually ends up named.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

nvining posted:

You're sure you're not working on Dwarf Fortress?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

DeathSandwich posted:

I signed up for the mailing list back in December and have only ever received the confirmation e-mail and nothing else.

Sign up again and make sure to check all of the boxes. It won't sign you up twice - it's just not obvious that getting the weekly newsletter is basically a double opt-in.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

TomViolence posted:

There's also a similar character-tagging feature in Crusader Kings 2, which puts any important events happening to that character into your ingame news feed dealie, which is a great laugh when you're playing the Game of Thrones mod and want to see what hilarious off-canon hijinks major characters get up to.

The CK2 one also puts them in a list so you can easily jump to any of their profiles, if I recall correctly. It's a good model to work from.

troublegum
Mar 31, 2013

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Time to replace the combat music with yakkity sax.

That or set it to something from 'Shoggoth on The Roof.'

Richardanator
May 8, 2006

Mmmm.....

nvining posted:

Hell you should leave them in and have the only way to end parties that get out of hand be a police crackdown. There will be order!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Have new cults establish random rules on behavior/eating/clothing.

Peasant Brycen caught wearing pants/eating melon/pleasuring himself by the constable. Horrific beating ensured, potential sacrifice to hyper-cube found in woods.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
The Escapist thought your VR Apri Fool's joke so funny they reposted it on Facebook today. It confused their slower audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvining
May 30, 2011

Today, David talks about setting people on fire:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/04/16/how-to-set-people-on-fire/

I know we've all been waiting for this one. Sorry it's a bit late, but it's here for you now - hot off the press.

• Locked thread