Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluo
May 25, 2007

Cerv posted:

david laws isn't a tory, and that's not even the most inaccurate part of your summary there

He is however an Orange Booker. :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Zero Gravitas posted:

Apparently Nadine Dorries has weighed in saying that this Miller business shows that MP expenses should be abolished and the right for MP recall implemented IMMEDIATELY.
In somewhat related news, the new Minister for Women Nicky Morgan is a pro-life homophobe who voted against Equal Marriage and previously supported an anti-abortion bill put forward by Nadine Dorries. No wonder Dorries is happy at how things have turned out.

As many have pointed out this basically makes Morgan the Minister for Straight Women Only - lesbians/trans* will see Equalities fall under the new Culture Secretary Sajid Javid's remit for reasons such as

The Tories will now proceed to (largely) not give a poo poo about either role.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Cerv posted:

david laws isn't a tory, and that's not even the most inaccurate part of your summary there

As Fluo points out he is an Orange booker and the Tories were keen for him to return to the cabinet ASAP. Would you care to expand on your critique or are you just out for a little drive by smuggery?

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 9, 2014

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

drive by snuggery

Is that when you sneak a ride in someone's caravan by hiding in the bed?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

KKKlean Energy posted:

Is that when you sneak a ride in someone's caravan by hiding in the bed?

That's an oddly specific place to go with that typo?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

ReV VAdAUL posted:

That's an oddly specific place to go with that typo?
A snuggery is a comfortable or cosy room. That describes literally nothing capable of doing a 'drive by', other than a comfy caravan bed.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

As Fluo points out he is an Orange booker and the Tories were keen for him to return to the cabinet ASAP. Would you care to expand on your critique or are you just out for a little drive by smuggery?

lol
you're actually going to fall back on arguing "i'm not wrong cos he's like a tory"

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Cerv posted:

lol
you're actually going to fall back on arguing "i'm not wrong cos he's like a tory"

Do you have a more substantive critique of what I said or are you going to continue this petty sniping?

My assertion was the Tories consistently seem to be invoking homophobia to smear those critiquing senior members. While, as you have made extremely clear, David Laws is a Lib Dem he was defended by senior Tory coalition colleagues, which was the heart of my argument.

Laws was rapidly returned to the cabinet and the PM specifically stated he believed Laws deserved a second chance in spite of his theft of such a large sum of money:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19574486

Thus he is a reasonable inclusion in a list of Tories claiming their opponents are homophobic.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It's a bit weird, really. The ones at the top seem in favour of gay rights etc, or at least know better than to say otherwise in public. But then you look at how 95% of the party actually voted on gay marriage...

what I'm saying is, if senior Tories are claiming their opponents are homophobes to smear them, the back benchers are probably thinking 'Homophobe, eh? But I thought they were supposed to oppose us...'

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Elfface posted:

what I'm saying is, if senior Tories are claiming their opponents are homophobes to smear them, the back benchers are probably thinking 'Homophobe, eh? But I thought they were supposed to oppose us...'
Their opponents are laughably shallow and prejudiced. They, however, are principled defenders of traditional marriage. :colbert:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I remember watching the debates about the gay marriage bill back when they first occurred, and all I can say is that the Conservative Party may be completely devoid of anything of merit, but at least they kept me entertained with their increasingly bizarre arguments on that particular day. Turns out theres quite a lot of ways to say "gays are icky, but aren't I just bloody brilliant?".

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Elfface posted:

It's a bit weird, really. The ones at the top seem in favour of gay rights etc, or at least know better than to say otherwise in public. But then you look at how 95% of the party actually voted on gay marriage...

It's part of Cameron's old strategy to look centrist, like Blair in reverse: remember the hoodies and 'oh dear global warming' stuff when he was in Opposition. The best part of this is that the Tory party, which by long and honorable tradition is filled with people who absolutely hate each other, now has actual differences of opinion to fight over. It's been made worse by the new intake of MPs like Zac Goldsmith, who were selected for their support of Cameron's politics rather than the old-school Tory ones. When this has happened in the past (see every time a Conservative government has discussed Europe) it leads to brutal internecine fighting and the eventual collapse of the government.

Basically Cameron's strategy of appearing anti-homophobic (amongst other Blair-style centrist tactics) has indeed pissed off backbenchers already convinced he's a Lib Dem.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Do you have a more substantive critique of what I said or are you going to continue this petty sniping?

My assertion was the Tories consistently seem to be invoking homophobia to smear those critiquing senior members. While, as you have made extremely clear, David Laws is a Lib Dem he was defended by senior Tory coalition colleagues, which was the heart of my argument.

Laws was rapidly returned to the cabinet and the PM specifically stated he believed Laws deserved a second chance in spite of his theft of such a large sum of money:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19574486

Thus he is a reasonable inclusion in a list of Tories claiming their opponents are homophobic.

i don't know why you've linked that article. it doesn't back up what you've said at all. at no point in it does anyone - whether tory or tory by association - claim that Laws was forced out by people motivated by homophobia in the way that Duncan-Smith has alleged Miller to have been in retaliation for gay marriage.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Watch the hilarious BBC interview with Miller. Avoids every single question by saying she didn't want to distract from the government's amazing work. Every answer to every question is that sentence. The interviewer didn't even comment on that. Staggered.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lord Twisted posted:

Watch the hilarious BBC interview with Miller. Avoids every single question by saying she didn't want to distract from the government's amazing work. Every answer to every question is that sentence. The interviewer didn't even comment on that. Staggered.

Sounds like a repeat (ha) of Strikes are wrong at a time when negotiations are ongoing. Got a link to the video?

QuantumCrayons
Apr 11, 2010

Private Eye posted:

Nothing substantial gets done in there, it's literally a half hour window given to the public to see the PM get a good reaming.

Fair enough, might give it another go with that in mind.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Any Exeter goons fancy a pint? I am in town for ONE NIGHT ONLY (in Penzance tomorrow if anyone lives there).

gently caress, I might even stretch to dinner if we can keep the total under £25 and can bribe the staff to just write "food" on the receipt.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I honestly thought Cameron couldn't do any worse than coincidentally leaving the Lib Dems out of Equalities (for a week, in the event) when Miller was shuffled in (after all, you don't think it was the Tory part of the coalition to go for same-sex marriage, do you?). The only way this could be any worse is if they gave the brief directly to Tebbit.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Bozza posted:

Any Exeter goons fancy a pint? I am in town for ONE NIGHT ONLY (in Penzance tomorrow if anyone lives there).

gently caress, I might even stretch to dinner if we can keep the total under £25 and can bribe the staff to just write "food" on the receipt.

I still think Penzance is a made up place, like Narnia.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Cerv posted:

i don't know why you've linked that article. it doesn't back up what you've said at all. at no point in it does anyone - whether tory or tory by association - claim that Laws was forced out by people motivated by homophobia in the way that Duncan-Smith has alleged Miller to have been in retaliation for gay marriage.

Laws justified his theft of a huge sum of money as being a necessary part of his staying in the closet due to homophobia. Cameron stating he deserves a second chance on those grounds is part of the trend I highlighted.

Do you deny Laws used his being gay as an excuse for his theft or that Tory colleagues accepted and supported this defence?

More to the point do you even disagree with the trend I identified or are you just being pedantic?

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

El Scotch posted:

Will confirm tomorrow, pirates being present earns it double points!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bozza posted:

I lived in Exeter for a year, lovely place. Hit up the Old Firehouse or, if it's too full of students, the Bike Shed. Or, if you make it there while the sun's still out, the Imperial.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Laws justified his theft of a huge sum of money as being a necessary part of his staying in the closet due to homophobia. Cameron stating he deserves a second chance on those grounds is part of the trend I highlighted.

Do you deny Laws used his being gay as an excuse for his theft or that Tory colleagues accepted and supported this defence?

More to the point do you even disagree with the trend I identified or are you just being pedantic?

I'd leave it, mate.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012
So they're (Gove/Ofqual) removing the practical side of science from A-levels, but does anyone know the rationale for doing this?

The announcement was accompanied by the usual "increasing rigour" guff, but I can't see the point in doing it.

Any ideas?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

HortonNash posted:

So they're (Gove/Ofqual) removing the practical side of science from A-levels, but does anyone know the rationale for doing this?

The announcement was accompanied by the usual "increasing rigour" guff, but I can't see the point in doing it.

Any ideas?

Because they don't want to have to pay for lab stuff?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
But GCSE and A-Level practicals help teach students about the rigour of the scientific method? :confused:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

TinTower posted:

But GCSE and A-Level practicals help teach students about the rigour of the scientific method? :confused:
Excuse me, we don't need to teach children to think, only to memorise and recite facts on demand.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Is it just me, or does this picture of Sajid Javid (the minister replacing Miller) make him look disturbingly like the Pakistani double of Iain Duncan Smith?

Taken from http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/09/maria-miller-cameron-miliband-expenses-resigns and rehosted on imgur.

Alecto
Feb 11, 2014
The current a-level science practical system (ISAs) are absolute poo poo. Centres are given a 6 month period to administer them, meaning some students will sit it months before others, giving plenty of time for students to find and research the paper posted online by those who already sat it, giving them an unfair advantage over students who sat it early. Many schools, particularly public schools, hold 'ISA prep' classes the day or morning before, where the teacher essentially tells the students the answers to all the questions as the teachers can look at the papers months before the students actually sit it. Thus students with honest teachers are disadvantaged. The questions are also utter bollocks, generally assessing how good a student is at guessing a mark scheme, rather than their understanding of the scientific method. Sometimes questions are asked such as 'what did you do to make your results more reliable?', and of the multitude of valid answers, only one or two are accepted in the mark scheme. Basically everyone involved with them has been begging for them to be replaced for years. Last year some universities even announced that they would be ignoring ISA scores, so if you miss your offer because of your ISA mark, they'll let you in anyway. Whether Gove will be able to come up with a not-poo poo idea, or even bother coming up with a replacement, remains to be seen.

Also, if anyone's not heard yet, Michael Fabricant the Tory party Vice Chair and former deputy whip was asked to resign after tweeting 'about time' after Miller's resignation. He refused and was then fired. His claim that he would organise a rebellion over HS2 this week probably didn't help either.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Is everyone looking forward to receiving their taxpayer statement? It'll give you an ever so handy breakdown of how much tax you paid and how your money was spent by the government over the last year:

Wow, that big orange sector looks like it could stand to be trimmed a bit!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Surely "state pensions" are also a form of welfare? That's blatantly saying to people "most of your money is going to LAZY SCROUNGERS" but those old people, well they're less expensive and, well nicer!"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/09/tory-vice-chair-fabricant-sacked

quote:

Michael Fabricant, MP for Lichfield, said he thought it was a "knee-jerk decision" to remove him from his post. A few hours earlier, following Miller's resignation, he had tweeted that it was "about time" and appeared to endorse remarks saying the row had been derailing the party.

The Miller Farce gets funnier by the minute.

Also, he has always been Jeffrey Archer in a blonde wig to me.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Pesmerga posted:

Is it just me, or does this picture of Sajid Javid (the minister replacing Miller) make him look disturbingly like the Pakistani double of Iain Duncan Smith?

Taken from http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/09/maria-miller-cameron-miliband-expenses-resigns and rehosted on imgur.

Have Javid and IDS ever been seen together?

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Wow, that big orange sector looks like it could stand to be trimmed a bit!

Nope, I'm happy to pay tax towards welfare.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

happyhippy posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/09/tory-vice-chair-fabricant-sacked

The Miller Farce gets funnier by the minute.

Also, he has always been Jeffrey Archer in a blonde wig to me.

"Still available for speeches, etc." Nice you have that option, you bastard. He always, always stuck me as slimy and repulsive,a nd not just on an ideological scale. He seemed to be the sort who had deep dark secrets. Its a shame that they can resign/fired from ministerial positions, but Parliament will do anything before sacking them from their seat (and we as voters can do gently caress all until the next election) and the coalition has made recall out to be a kangaroo court. Even if it was, its not a kangarro court where the accused can go 'LOL! Nah dudes, soz and all that' and carry on regardless.

e: Missed the handy burn the lazy bastards infogram. Welfare covers benefits, pension credits, child/work tax credits, all that poo poo. What disingenuous skewed shite. I would be willing to bet it also covers things like extra amounts allocated to local government to combat the bedroom tax, and things that would not even occur to the man on the street.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 9, 2014

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

El Scotch posted:

I went to Penzance once, it was closed.

No, seriously, it was the day after May Day and literally the only places open along the entire front were a Boots and a newsagent.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Another thing about the current Tory situation, I caught a brief mention whilst flipping channels about Farage planning to challenge Miller's Basingstoke seat. I can't find anything definitive to confirm this, but if by some act of a vengeful god he wins, that's Cameron who has had his chips. I have no desire to see even one UKIP MP, MEP, Councillor, or Neighbourhood Watchman, but if the current government create enough revulsion and groundswell for Nige to gain ground, then it has truly failed this country. I don't think it is likely, but the timing couldn't be better after two (pointless) public debates that Farage on most accounts bounded home, and just over a year of the Tories tearing themselves apart.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think we will see Farage and boys in government, or even coilition, but I just do not want them to win one damned seat.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Trickjaw posted:

e: Missed the handy burn the lazy bastards infogram. Welfare covers benefits, pension credits, child/work tax credits, all that poo poo. What disingenuous skewed shite. I would be willing to bet it also covers things like extra amounts allocated to local government to combat the bedroom tax, and things that would not even occur to the man on the street.

Is there a breakdown of the numbers that go into that big orange welfare blob, I feel the need to fix that chart?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

He's not standing, he was just in the area to introduce their new candidate, Alan Stone. Who is the same person as their old candidate. There were some confusing tweets from their communications director that made it sounds like Farage would stand, but he said that wasn't the case, and that he didn't know how to spell Alan Stone.

https://mobile.twitter.com/oflynndirector/statuses/453827044548567040?screen_name=oflynndirector

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Party Boat posted:

He's not standing, he was just in the area to introduce their new candidate, Alan Stone. Who is the same person as their old candidate. There were some confusing tweets from their communications director that made it sounds like Farage would stand, but he said that wasn't the case, and that he didn't know how to spell Alan Stone.

https://mobile.twitter.com/oflynndirector/statuses/453827044548567040?screen_name=oflynndirector

Oh jesus. That's what I get for giving them more credit for nous than they deserve. They could have had a bit of a media wank-fest and a tiny coup. Mind you, apparently big Nige is on HIGNFY this week, so thats going to be braying and hooting. The only politician I follow on twitter is Tom Watson.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 9, 2014

• Locked thread