Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dusseldorf posted:

I mean she's kind of lame, I guess.

Edit: Is this a single issue voter "Mah Gunzz!" argument?

More of a privacy thing at least around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Colorado hates California because y'all keep moving here, but can't seem to stop going on and on and on about California and how its so much better because

This is the entirety of Highlands ranch

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

More of a privacy thing at least around here.

She's also made more self-wealth off human conflict than Jack Murtha ever did. And that bastard was a crook.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I have a similar irrational hatred of Wisconsinites. Those fuckers deserve all the bad things that will ever happen to them for voting out Russ Feingold. :mad:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

TenementFunster posted:

yeah, that's it. gently caress you, idiot.

either that or it's los angeles, san diego, fresno, sacramento, bakersfield, anaheim, all of the inland empire, riverside, stockton, irvine, modesto, huntington beach, and every other shithole little burb

austin sucks and is for terrible white kids. texas is a terrible state and austin is the worst city in texas.

Having grown up in Houston I can tell you that you are 100% wrong. Houston is shithole #1, Dallas shithole #2 and Austin trailing behind as shithole #3. gently caress Texas. When you can't leave the house for 8+ months out of the year because it is 90% humidity outside, there is no reason to live there. Moving to CO was the best thing I've done in my life.

It is funny seeing just how aggressively people from Cali will go to ignore you when out in public here in CO though. I can always tell the people from the south, because if I'm standing in line and I say something, they acknowledge that I exist.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think politeness is correlated with population density.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dusseldorf posted:

I mean she's kind of lame, I guess.

Edit: Is this a single issue voter "Mah Gunzz!" argument?

Her hypocritical stance on guns is really the least bad thing. The gutting of intellectual property rights as well as the literal witch-hunt she leads trying to stomp out 'piracy' via government censorship is deplorable. The fact that you dismiss criticism about her because of "mah gunz" which is also an important right, just further demonstrates how loving terrible Californians and supporters are.

You are so ignorant of the real-world, that grossly destructive policies as perpetuated by her, and California politicians in general, is just "kind of lame" to you. Goddamn!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
So which is it is she gutting intellectual property rights or is she bolstering them by going after piracy?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McDowell posted:

I think politeness is correlated with population density.

New Jersey is the most densely populated state though.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

computer parts posted:

New Jersey is the most densely populated state though.

He didn't say it was positively correlated with density!

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
If we're done with the "Your state sucks" pissing contest, some news out of Washington state:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/04/08/retail-marijuana-sales-in-washington-face-regulatory-delays/

The first retail stores probably won't open until July. For some reason the number of retail stores is capped at 334 and they've got a convoluted system that separates sellers, growers, and processors.

Of course we need more time to tell, but Colorado's model looks to be the superior one.

AYC fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 9, 2014

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
No one's state "sucks" unless you are a regionalist fuckwad, though Washington's legalization framework certainly does.

Install Windows posted:

So which is it is she gutting intellectual property rights or is she bolstering them by going after piracy?

Yea that is a real head scratcher, perhaps the smartest kid in America could figure it out on xis own?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Powercrazy posted:

No one's state "sucks" unless you are a regionalist fuckwad, though Washington's legalization framework certainly does.

Someone hasn't been to Iowa.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
The LA Times is reporting that cannabis legalisation has turned into a disaster!

quote:

Authorities are calling the incident the state’s first marijuana-related death since Colorado legalized sales of recreational marijuana at the beginning of the year to those over 21.

The case has become a grim exhibit in a growing case file as Colorado health officials wonder whether, in the rapid rollout of legalized marijuana, adequate attention was paid to potential health risks of its use
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-colorado-pot-woes-20140407,0,5725785.story#axzz2yIZBL1No

... a former White House drug advisor calling you mob out over it:

quote:

Silence among legalizers about CO's first post-legalization marijuana related death is striking. "Ban banana peels then!" deserves no reply.
https://mobile.twitter.com/KevinSabet/status/452237127926161408

KingEup fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 9, 2014

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Powercrazy posted:

Either that, or this whole decriminalization movement has been supported by libertarians who didn't expect washington state to put in a reasonable amount of control and are now making GBS threads on them for daring to act in its people's interests.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Powercrazy posted:

Yea that is a real head scratcher, perhaps the smartest kid in America could figure it out on xis own?

Show me where Feinstein has ever gutted intellectual property rights.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
To be fair about this pot death there probably do need to be limitations or warnings that come with edibles, it's way too easy to get yourself in a bad state for a very long time. Weed has this reputation of just making you relaxed or giddy or whatever but the good stuff can be really unbelievably powerful.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
A friend of mine freaked out and had suicidal thoughts with an edible once too. If anything this is a good argument for facilitating medical research so there's more knowledge about why people react so differently.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

McDowell posted:

A friend of mine freaked out and had suicidal thoughts with an edible once too. If anything this is a good argument for facilitating medical research so there's more knowledge about why people react so differently.

Schedule I makes that really hard. Maybe it could happen through state funding where it's legal. Even then it would probably need to be run by a Ph.D. or an M.D. who doesn't care about his CSA license. That's likely to make an IRB skeptical.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KernelSlanders posted:

Schedule I makes that really hard.

Hopefully this is going to change in the next couple years.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Install Windows posted:

Show me where Feinstein has ever gutted intellectual property rights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act

Extending Copyrights perpetually is gutting intellectual property rights. Because the purpose of copyrights, or patents if you want to be pedantic, is to encourage creativity and innovation. By allowing the unchecked accumulation of IP, you effectively lockout future content producers into the market place of the ideas, creating a monopoly and undermining their very purpose.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Powercrazy posted:

Extending Copyrights perpetually is gutting intellectual property rights. Because the purpose of copyrights, or patents if you want to be pedantic, is to encourage creativity and innovation. By allowing the unchecked accumulation of IP, you effectively lockout future content producers into the market place of the ideas, creating a monopoly and undermining their very purpose.

:argh:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Anyone more savvy about New York politics than me wanna comment on NY's chance of legal/medical/decrim by the end of this year? I think the mayor and governor are both on board. If NJ gets legal weed before NYC I'll never forgive myself

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Powercrazy posted:

So you're saying that strengthening ip rights rolls them over to negative property rights? You're an idiot.

PS IP rights have always been about creating monopolies, patents are literally monopolies granted by the state.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Install Windows posted:

PS IP rights have always been about creating monopolies, patents are literally monopolies granted by the state.

Except patents and copyright were originally envisioned with expiration dates, at a certain point things enter the public domain. This element has been under assault for awhile. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Mouse_Copyright_bill

Disney could conceivably hold on to Mickey forever as a trademark but then they would lose the ability to control 80 year old cartoons.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

McDowell posted:

Except patents and copyright were originally envisioned with expiration dates, at a certain point things enter the public domain. This element has been under assault for awhile. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Mouse_Copyright_bill

Disney could conceivably hold on to Mickey forever as a trademark but then they would lose the ability to control 80 year old cartoons.

No one has been proposing patents with unlimited terms. And infinite copyright is essentially the least gutted IP right possible.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme

KernelSlanders posted:

Schedule I makes that really hard. Maybe it could happen through state funding where it's legal. Even then it would probably need to be run by a Ph.D. or an M.D. who doesn't care about his CSA license. That's likely to make an IRB skeptical.

We had exactly this discussion today in a room full of researchers and industry representatives. Academia can't dose but we can observe so we're writing up grants to recruit several cohorts for different purposes; pulmonary, edible, testing medicinal claims, just about everything we can think of. Anyone out there that has done significant research in specific areas that is interested in pointing out current holes in research will be listened too - peer reviewed manuscripts pointing out holes primarily but searches that return zero results will also be considered. We MAY try for a comprehensive review of gaps and priorities and shoot for a publication in a high end general science journal to get good distribution. Don't know about that one just yet though.

The state funding will have to be filtered through academic and institutional interpretation of federal laws which is a fairly huge pile of poo poo at the moment. The DEA/NIDA research standards can take years to address and by that time GW will have specific CBD combinations patented which will be an even huger pile of poo poo. I'm not happy with GW at the moment, this should be whole plant research and THEN drilling into specific proteins.

There is also a company that shall go unnamed that has a research staff in place with interest in genetics, plant microbiome, strain composition and several other cool biochem irons in the fire. I'm still very skeptical that academia will be really cutting edge due to administration crap but we MIGHT be able to help industry do some very cool studies that we can't do.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Install Windows posted:

And infinite copyright is essentially the least gutted IP right possible.

At a certain point things should enter public domain, I wasn't agreeing with the gutted IP right claim - just agreeing with criticism of Feinstein for pushing legal changes that benefit the entertainment industry at the expense of the commons.

But this has nothing to do with weed so I won't continue.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
My biggest beef with Feinstein [aside from the hypocritical gun stance part, she used to conceal carry daily] would be her support of the NSA poo poo. It's helped us bust countless terrorists according to the good senator. gently caress that lady.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Isn't Feinstein:
One of those arguing for pulling things out of the public domain.
Vociferiously opposed to any limitations on government security power, and in fact was instrumental in neutering the FISA court
A blatant supporter of putting the younger generation under as much education debt as possible
A major supporter of SOPA and PIPA
Fully supported the war in Iraq
Fully support the Patriot Act and thinks it was a good thing even now
Opposes immigration, except in the most abusive form (no matter which of her multiple stances you look at, the common person and the hopeful immigrant lose)
Full-fledged support of the expansion of capital punishment
Sponsored a constitutional amendment to ban free speech where it disrespects the flag
one of those who voted in favor of unilateral US censorship of the Internet by voting in favor of COICA
Sponsored legislation to mandate DRM
Supported the bailout while opposing any and all regulations to prevent such a thing from happening again

Honestly, is there anything about her to like? The only good positions she seems to hold are an inevitable (we're winning the war on homophobia, we really don't need her for that) and the environment (Which seem legitimately good).

She's your normal totalitarian incompetent, from what I can see.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GlyphGryph posted:

Isn't Feinstein:
Honestly, is there anything about her to like? The only good positions she seems to hold are an inevitable (we're winning the war on homophobia, we really don't need her for that) and the environment (Which seem legitimately good).

She's your normal totalitarian incompetent, from what I can see.

She's a Democrat and would therefore support Obama's Supreme Court nominees, budget, etc., while opposing Republican budgets, nominees, etc.

And she's releasing the CIA torture report because the CIA got sassy with her staffers.

That's about it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Has there been any talk of strain specific legislation? Or maximum THC% or anything like that? Because something like that would be disappointing given how inherently limiting that type of legislation is. I could see it opening the door to a company like Monsanto coming in and crafting legislation that makes their strains the only legal strains available.

I'm wondering specifically in the light of the moral panic that may be created with suicides "caused by weed overdose."

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

http://www.cpr.org/news/story/marijuana-edibles-grow-popularity-caution-urged

There are two bills in the Colorado legislature regarding concentrates/edibles. Lawmakers seem to be mostly worried about kids eating edibles, so the first bill would require the actual food to be stamped, colored, or shaped in a way that signifies it contains marijuana. This could be a pain in the rear end for manufacturers, but I think it's a good idea since kids will eat anything that looks remotely like candy or treats.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

TheManWithNoName posted:

There are two bills in the Colorado legislature regarding concentrates/edibles. Lawmakers seem to be mostly worried about kids eating edibles, so the first bill would require the actual food to be stamped, colored, or shaped in a way that signifies it contains marijuana. This could be a pain in the rear end for manufacturers, but I think it's a good idea since kids will eat anything that looks remotely like candy or treats.

And they would never eat the green brownies that are for mommies and daddies only.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

TheManWithNoName posted:

Sad that we need laws because parents can't keep their drugs out of the reach of children. Be adults and store it like prescription drugs. These laws won't protect children if they can still grab it out of the cupboard or off the counter.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
Put 'em in that really high cabinet where you keep all your liquor. No way your kid could reach that. Hell, put a padlock on it if you're really worried.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

AYC posted:

Put 'em in that really high cabinet where you keep all your liquor. No way your kid could reach that. Hell, put a padlock on it if you're really worried.

I know you are joking, but really that is the best solution. Kids will experiment with things especially if they see their parents doing them, regardless of what they look like. I don't think this should be a legislative issue, its on the parents to educate and supervise what their kids do, not the manufacturers.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I still think the majority of the time kids are getting cannabis anything is due to the prevalence of dealers in the form of medical card holders. They don't check ID and because of the retarded prices for recreational its always cheaper to go through them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ColoradoCleric posted:

I still think the majority of the time kids are getting cannabis anything is due to the prevalence of dealers in the form of medical card holders. They don't check ID and because of the retarded prices for recreational its always cheaper to go through them.

I'm going to doubt that recreational pricing have any effect on ways to get cannabis. It's only been available legally for less than a year or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

I'm going to doubt that recreational pricing have any effect on ways to get cannabis. It's only been available legally for less than a year or two.

A lot of people will take advantage of the low effort of going through recreational stores but the 4X markup also has a significant portion of the people still going through medical card holders.

• Locked thread