Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
:siren: IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad multiplayer test report :siren:

It's basically working. Performance is worse than singleplayer, presumably due to much larger amounts of planes, but it's still playable on my 4 year old computer. Loadout selection appears to be broken at the moment, but you can choose a spawn point and a plane just fine. Servers were set with a 25 player cap and seemed stable. The EU servers were more populated than US, and the 150-200ms lag associated with that distance was successfully compensated for to the point of being unnoticable.

LaGG-3s are really hard to fly in a competitive dogfight. They just love to spin. I'm not sure why they omitted the Yak from the test missions; as it is, the 109 is without question a better plane, leading to some balance issues.

The game continues to be really strikingly pretty. Gunnery is harder than in 1946; most flight models seem to be much less stable. At the same time, hits are much more satisfying with the more detailed damage model, as every bullet or shell impact can affect so many things in so many ways. One interesting experience I had was smacking a stalled out LaGG with my wingtip in a 109 and losing the wingtip, but still managing to fly low and fast enough to lose an attacker by dodging between trees and make it back to base to land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
That's awesome.

For those of you who don't follow the RoF thread, I figured out why I couldn't host. Seems that the Steam version has some sort of bug where you can't host.

So, even if you just have the Steam version, you can always DL the Stand Alone client and use your login creds. Forward ports and you're off to the races.

I'll try out that mission generator dealy if I can figure out how to get enough planes in, or if a suitable amount of players show up.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

:ussr: coding at its finest

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Changed the server name, now it works :psyduck:

I'm going to bed, I'll confirm that it's fixed in the next few days and maybe get some games going.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
Thanks for the report Ralith. I'm even more excited to try it now. I'm pulling the trigger on a new X55. Hopefully this will coincide somewhat with the BoS release.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Oh, one other thing: Default difficulty ("Normal", the one with good flight models and finite supplies but universal automatic engine management) has icons for everything, but only if you're within 5km or so. Even without icons, planes are discernible at around that range against a backdrop of snow. Icons always indicate the team of a plane, but only show you the name of the plane if you're closer, and only give you the name of the player if you're very close indeed.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 25, 2014

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Ralith posted:

Oh, one other thing: Default difficulty ("Normal", the one with good flight models and finite supplies but universal automatic engine management) has icons for everything, but only if you're within 5km or so. Even without icons, planes are discernible at around that range against a backdrop of snow. Icons always indicate the team of a plane, but only show you the name of the plane if you're closer, and only give you the name of the player if you're very close indeed.

How spergy/PITA is the full real engine management?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Did Cliffs of Dover get removed from Steam?

Is it at all playable at the moment with the community patches, and will it become 'good' or is forever lost?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

dayman posted:

How spergy/PITA is the full real engine management?
I haven't played with it a lot because it kind of intimidates me, but you have prop pitch, mixture, superchargers, and individual control of each separate radiator (water, oil) and judging by how "Normal" difficulty caps your throttle around 75% much of the time and comments on the forums I understand that it's easy to blow your engine if you mishandle it too badly. On the flipside, that also means there's a lot of advantage to be had by careful manual management that the automatic stuff can't do for you, i.e. eking out that last 25% of power when you really need it. I believe it's possible for any player to opt into manual engine management even in "Normal" difficulty, too.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 25, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If anyone is interested, Greenman Gaming has IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover on for $4.99 right now. Started off as a rough sim, but the improvements over the years, and the Team Fusion mod, have made it a pretty decent sim. Battle of Stalingrad is almost out, so Dover is kind of moot, but for five bucks, why not.

(plus, who knows, BoS could be a buggy mess upon release)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Battle of Stalingrad is almost out, so Dover is kind of moot, but for five bucks, why not.

Thanks! The very day that I ask about it.

Edit: I can see why everyone was so pissed. That menu system is :argh:. It's super-detailed and all, but runs like dogshit on even low settings, with pop-in all over the place.

The ground detail is fun, and gives you something to look at during the training flight where you go through a couple of rings, *then wait for the instructor to land the plane*, but seems largely unnecessary on a game where you're flying as much as you do. I'm going to have to tweak the display settings down on certain things if I can. This is pre-Team Fusion patch as I'm trying to settle the controls and display settings.

I hope that the Gypsy Moth is just twitchy to fly, otherwise that's another thing to tweak.

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 26, 2014

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
:siren: I am 99% sure I will not be hosting anything this Sunday :siren:

If someone wants to take over feel free, my highest potential of availability tomorrow would be 6:00 PM CDT but I'll most likely be out doing stuff so don't plan on me being there.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hav posted:

Thanks! The very day that I ask about it.

Edit: I can see why everyone was so pissed. That menu system is :argh:. It's super-detailed and all, but runs like dogshit on even low settings, with pop-in all over the place.

The ground detail is fun, and gives you something to look at during the training flight where you go through a couple of rings, *then wait for the instructor to land the plane*, but seems largely unnecessary on a game where you're flying as much as you do. I'm going to have to tweak the display settings down on certain things if I can. This is pre-Team Fusion patch as I'm trying to settle the controls and display settings.

I hope that the Gypsy Moth is just twitchy to fly, otherwise that's another thing to tweak.

Seriously, don't even bother with the base game just to get used to things before installing Team Fusion. Install that mod NOW.

Hell, I couldn't even get the game to start before I installed the mod.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
:siren: I need someone to step up and take over hosting Sunday sessions or they probably aren't going to be happening until October :siren:

Summer's around the bend, my social life is picking up and I can no longer dedicate my Sundays to hosting. Odds are I'll be able to do some weekday sessions here and there but for the most part Sunday IL-2 is done until the fall.

If someone wants to step up, I've pretty much got the bases covered when it comes to Lowengrin's DCG so you can host your own sessions. Let me know and I'll bump up your privs in the Steam group.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Seriously, don't even bother with the base game just to get used to things before installing Team Fusion. Install that mod NOW.

Hell, I couldn't even get the game to start before I installed the mod.

They recommend starting vanilla to get the controls right first. I'll be installing the mod later, but wow.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
This weekend's Battle of Stalingrad update includes multicrew support. For the first time in IL-2 series history, you can now hop in a friendly's gunner seat during a dogfight! Currently available multicrew planes are certain configurations of the IL-2 (tailgunner) and the Stuka (tailgunner). The Pe-2, a bomber with two(?) gunner seats, will be coming next weekend.

Anyone else in the beta want to come try it out this Sunday?

Ralith fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 4, 2014

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
So are we doing flightsims / man shoots today?

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Ralith posted:

This weekend's Battle of Stalingrad update includes multicrew support. For the first time in IL-2 series history, you can now hop in a friendly's gunner seat during a dogfight! Currently available multicrew planes are certain configurations of the IL-2 (tailgunner) and the Stuka (tailgunner). The Pe-2, a bomber with two(?) gunner seats, will be coming next weekend.

Anyone else in the beta want to come try it out this Sunday?

I bought an X55 a couple days ago, once it ships I'm buying into the beta...could be another couple weeks though

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

dayman posted:

I bought an X55 a couple days ago, once it ships I'm buying into the beta...could be another couple weeks though

Still waiting on my X55 as well. Saiteks page still shows them as shipping this month, but Amazon lists May, so who knows.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Still waiting on my X55 as well. Saiteks page still shows them as shipping this month, but Amazon lists May, so who knows.

There's another site that claims they'll ship on the 15th.

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/9814?qryrmv=1&ppcs=google&ppcg=4-96&keyword=x-55%20joystick&gclid=CLDe77-tzr0CFYMcOgodQQEAKg

They seemed sketchy so I ordered from newegg. They expect to ship in April as well.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Picked this up yesterday and still working on getting these controls bound. Is there no way to clear individual key bindings? For instance, accidentally setting Mouse 1 to the throttle or whatever.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Set the control to something else, like w (which is the default for WEP).

Set it again to w which should set it to just w.

Then set WEP back to w.

That clears the binding.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Ah that makes life a little easier.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Is anyone willing to hold a total newbie's hand through the basics of this game? I can't figure out how to take off or land. I've played Microsoft Flight Simulator and ARMA in the past but that's the extent of my flight sim experience.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Is anyone willing to hold a total newbie's hand through the basics of this game? I can't figure out how to take off or land. I've played Microsoft Flight Simulator and ARMA in the past but that's the extent of my flight sim experience.

There is a pretty decent set of player made training missions called "Straight from the farm". Those have you flying easy planes in takeoffs/landings on land, and moving you onto carrier ops. It's a good set of missions to practice with.

A good plane to practice taking off and landing with is the P-38L. You will have to manage multiple engine binding, but once you get that down, it has the counter-rotating props so you can take off without the engine torque pulling you to the side. Another good plane for this is the SBD-5, which is slow and very forgiving with a low stall speed (it is a dive bomber). The airbrakes are also good when you need to slow down in a hurry.

A suggestion to help get the taildraggers off the ground: increase speed gently, and go in a straight line down the runway. Once you're flying straight, lock the rear tailwheel (might be 't') and that will help with the torque.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

JerikTelorian posted:

There is a pretty decent set of player made training missions called "Straight from the farm". Those have you flying easy planes in takeoffs/landings on land, and moving you onto carrier ops. It's a good set of missions to practice with.

A good plane to practice taking off and landing with is the P-38L. You will have to manage multiple engine binding, but once you get that down, it has the counter-rotating props so you can take off without the engine torque pulling you to the side. Another good plane for this is the SBD-5, which is slow and very forgiving with a low stall speed (it is a dive bomber). The airbrakes are also good when you need to slow down in a hurry.

A suggestion to help get the taildraggers off the ground: increase speed gently, and go in a straight line down the runway. Once you're flying straight, lock the rear tailwheel (might be 't') and that will help with the torque.

Thanks! I've been practicing with the game's namesake because I was under the impression that it would be the easiest to fly. I'll try those training missions.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Thanks! I've been practicing with the game's namesake because I was under the impression that it would be the easiest to fly. I'll try those training missions.

Yeah, the IL-2 was called the "Flying tank" partly because it had serious armor, and partly because it's a big brick.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Don't forget Dart's guides!

Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji73tENm8Zk

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

What are the secrets to flying in formation? I can just barely keep formation if I really concentrate on it but I get totally fixated and can't see any targets.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Like a close formation? Well, one trick is to have depth perception. Too bad IL-2 is a computer game :v:

But in all seriousness it's really loving hard so either just practice while accepting the fact that your flight leader is gonna yell at you, OR, make yourself the flight leader so they follow you.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Flight leader shouldn't bother yelling at wingmen... just constantly update heading and current airspeed for those in formation. Those in formation need to adjust throttle and slip side to side to maintain formation. I found the easiest way to maintain a solid formation is to use different parts of the cockpit for reference points and knowing how big the aircraft needs to be in your window to equal the correct distance away.

I haven't done it in ages (I haven't flown in ages) but I do remember that when I maintained a good formation, you can forget about me actually adding more situational awareness to the group. 100% of my attention goes to maintaining formation... so I'm pretty much in the same boat!

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Essobie posted:

I haven't done it in ages (I haven't flown in ages) but I do remember that when I maintained a good formation, you can forget about me actually adding more situational awareness to the group. 100% of my attention goes to maintaining formation... so I'm pretty much in the same boat!

As I understand it, that's how it was in real life. The wingman would just concentrate on flight lead and the leader would be scanning for targets.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

dayman posted:

As I understand it, that's how it was in real life. The wingman would just concentrate on flight lead and the leader would be scanning for targets.
Considering the difficulty of spotting things at range and the paramount importance of situational awareness demonstrated by the repeated efficacy of surprise attacks from above, this seems extremely silly.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Ralith posted:

Considering the difficulty of spotting things at range and the paramount importance of situational awareness demonstrated by the repeated efficacy of surprise attacks from above, this seems extremely silly.

Formation flying was easier for real pilots because of aforementioned reasons. Set your trims and it requires minimal input. I should amend and say their primary responsibility was staying with the flight lead. Any experienced pilot is going to have an easy enough time staying in formation that they can expand their attention elsewhere.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Ralith posted:

You really don't have time to look away from the plane you're following.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

It really was impossible to maintain decent situational awareness when flying close formation which is why most air-forces abandoned the practice in favour of Finger-Four formation.

Close formation requires a lot of concentration and continual adjustment even in real life. It was generally the trailing aircraft's fuel situation that would dictate when a flight would RTB. They would use much more fuel than the flight lead as they were constantly making adjustments to the throttle.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
This discution reminded me of a video that i saw days ago.
You can see the dificulty of flying in close formation in this video, constante throttle ajustments and always checking your lider and wingman position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys7JTWLB33k

I dont see much time were he could be visual scaning for targets when flying this close.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Battle of Stalingrad early access (incl. multiplayer) is now finally running seven days a week, and the Pe-2 has been added.

e: The Pe-2 is a two-engine dive bomber/heavy fighter with multiple gunner seats and a (currently unimplemented) level bomb sight.

Anyone want to dick around with this stuff on Sunday?

Ralith fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 12, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Micr0chiP posted:

This discution reminded me of a video that i saw days ago.
You can see the dificulty of flying in close formation in this video, constante throttle ajustments and always checking your lider and wingman position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys7JTWLB33k

I dont see much time were he could be visual scaning for targets when flying this close.

The heck is that aggravating whistling noise? I'm guessing radar altimeter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It's connected with the engine somehow. The constant pitches up/down you're hearing are continuous throttle adjustments. Just sounds like engine noise to me.

• Locked thread