Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'm a vicious, powerful bastard, me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

CancerCakes posted:

Aside - how *correct* is DIY? On the one hand Homebase is the home of middle class couples arguing over wallpaper, but doing things yourself because it is cheaper is anti bourgeois.

Or you could hire sole traders to do your work - they retain all the profits of their labour (instead of some fatcat who invested in Homebase shares) so they are the Correctest of all. That's nothing Correct or inCorrect about doing it yourself though - that logic could extend to poo poo like cooking.

As always if you're going to spend money on a company and you care about your own political integrity then the least you could do is hold the company to your own iedological standards. Homebase uses workfare, so there's that.

Me? I scavenge materials from the streets of London - people often throw out some mighty fine planks of wood. Made a good couple of shelves, a table, and a kitchen bench doing that.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Puntification posted:

Truly nothing says persecution like the personal opinions of SA forums poster Gonzo McFee.

It's a pretty sweeping generalization of a group of people. Most I know (some are Lay Readers and Victors) are pro women bishops and pro gay marriage.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I got a free lamp from up by Camberwell Grove, the poshos round there clearly don't know you can replace lightbulbs when they blow.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Fluo posted:

It's a pretty sweeping generalization of a group of people. Most I know are pro women bishops and pro gay marriage.

Doesn't the bible say women aren't even supposed to talk in church? I don't understand these modern progressive Christians.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

KKKlean Energy posted:

Or you could hire sole traders to do your work - they retain all the profits of their labour (instead of some fatcat who invested in Homebase shares)

instead of you buying materials from homebase yourself, you hire a workie who buys the exact same materials from an identical chain of suppliers

don't think you've thought that through

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I got a free lamp from up by Camberwell Grove, the poshos round there clearly don't know you can replace lightbulbs when they blow.

Maybe they just didn't want that lamp any more

Fluo
May 25, 2007

marktheando posted:

Doesn't the bible say women aren't even supposed to talk in church? I don't understand these modern progressive Christians.

The bible says alot of things, Biblical literalism is not what most Christians believe in. A lot treat them as stories/fables on how to live your life, they have cultural awareness of the time it was written and how it had some politics of the time, some ways to stay clean / live longer (eg not eating shellfish) and such. A good documentary called For The Bible Tells Me So is worth checking out, it mainly surrounds the the gay issues but its good. Cultural awareness is a pretty strong thing. Same goes for the Qu'ran which if you read it you can pretty much see why for centuries there were art works of Mohammed then they (tried) to destroy all images of Mohammed.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Any time I end up having to go to church it's about the gays.

They also have a go at Landlords and bankers so I end up leaving conflicted.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Fluo posted:

The bible says alot of things, Biblical literalism is not what most Christians believe in. A lot treat them as stories/fables on how to live your life, they have cultural awareness of the time it was written and how it had some politics of the time, some ways to stay clean / live longer (eg not eating shellfish) and such. A good documentary called For The Bible Tells Me So is worth checking out, it mainly surrounds the the gay issues but its good. Cultural awareness is a pretty strong thing. Same goes for the Qu'ran which if you read it you can pretty much see why for centuries there were art works of Mohammed then they (tried) to destroy all images of Mohammed.

That no fabric mixing wisdom sure was useful.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KKKlean Energy posted:

Or you could hire sole traders to do your work - they retain all the profits of their labour (instead of some fatcat who invested in Homebase shares) so they are the Correctest of all. That's nothing Correct or inCorrect about doing it yourself though - that logic could extend to poo poo like cooking.

As always if you're going to spend money on a company and you care about your own political integrity then the least you could do is hold the company to your own iedological standards. Homebase uses workfare, so there's that.

Me? I scavenge materials from the streets of London - people often throw out some mighty fine planks of wood. Made a good couple of shelves, a table, and a kitchen bench doing that.

The question of DIY is not whether it is Correct or not but whether you can do it Correctly.

If you're going to gently caress poo poo up then don't do DIY. If you can do it, then do it.

There are alternatives to home base, you could buy from a builder's merchants or a timber reclaimer if you're looking for that sort of stuff.

Any sort of handle, switch, plug, wire, bulb is likely to be made by slaves in china though. whether you install it yourself or pay a tradesman to do it.

Really though you should know at least a sparky, plumber or chippie by the time you're a functioning adult.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Fluo posted:

Yeah I know, it just strikes me as pretty pathetic. Either the bible is the word of god or it isn't. Stop being a Christian if you realise many of the religion's beliefs are repellant.

quote:

As in all the congregations of the saints, women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church

I'm sure there is some convoluted explanation for why this isn't to be taken literally.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

marktheando posted:

Yeah I know, it just strikes me as pretty pathetic. Either the bible is the word of god or it isn't.

beep boop does not compute what is nuance

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Cerv posted:

instead of you buying materials from homebase yourself, you hire a workie who buys the exact same materials from an identical chain of suppliers

don't think you've thought that through

Yeah I think I got mixed up with labour and materials there. Homebase doesn't offer labour services, as far as I know. But if they did, you'd be Correcter to use a sole trader (even if the materials ultimately come from a company)

If it's about a finished product like a wardrobe then you could try to source it from That One Guy Who Makes Wardrobes And Sells Them On Ebay or make it yourself. It really depends how ideological you wanna be though - might be good if you're hardline communist but if you don't mind some of the basic principles of capitalism then you could just vet the company you buy wardrobes from, on things you care about like whether they pulp kittens into the chipboard.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
:psyduck: To suggest that complete adherence is required to hold religious belief is astounding and massively ignorant

also this

Cerv posted:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

Any time I end up having to go to church it's about the gays.

They also have a go at Landlords and bankers so I end up leaving conflicted.

Maybe try a different Church if you're Religious? Seems like you're going to a bad one. Every church is different even within Anglican churches.

Xachariah posted:

That no fabric mixing wisdom sure was useful.

It kind of was at the time as it was easier to reuse the fabric because if the clothing had mixed fabrics because harder to reuse. Also the text is slightly different depending on which bible you read, some talk about wearing fabric others talk about having a piece of clothing made out of 1 type of fabric. Early times recycling. :shepface:

Also just for the record I'm not religious at all, just brought up having to do bible studies and such in a lefty church.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 10, 2014

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

JFairfax posted:

Really though you should know at least a sparky, plumber or chippie by the time you're a functioning adult.

Why you gotta keep bringing that up :mad:

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

JFairfax posted:

The question of DIY is not whether it is Correct or not but whether you can do it Correctly.

Notably don't use Homebase. Use the internet for tools, local merchants for raw materials, B&Q/Wickes/ect if you need anything at short notice.

Homebase is like an overpriced timewarp. I'm pretty sure that my local Homebase still has those hanging racks of AOL internet discs.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

marktheando posted:

Yeah I know, it just strikes me as pretty pathetic. Either the bible is the word of god or it isn't. Stop being a Christian if you realise many of the religion's beliefs are repellant.

I'm sure there is some convoluted explanation for why this isn't to be taken literally.

:rolleye: What is cultural understanding of the times and place.

Cerv posted:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Cerv posted:

Sounds to me like these god botherers just want to have it both ways.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

marktheando posted:

I don't know much about Christianity but I think immediately discounting anything written by Paul is probably a good start.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Fluo posted:

Maybe try a different Church if you're Religious? Seems like you're going to a bad one. Every church is different even within Anglican churches.

Not religious, just have to go there sometimes for work.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Gonzo McFee posted:

Not religious, just have to go there sometimes for work.

Vicar spotted.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

CancerCakes posted:

Aside - how *correct* is DIY? On the one hand Homebase is the home of middle class couples arguing over wallpaper, but doing things yourself because it is cheaper is anti bourgeois.

DIY necessarily involves owning a car, therefore it is not 'correct'

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Fucks sake, the EDL are demonstrating outside my office window. A lovely sunny day and all I hear is fascist chanting though the window.

Piss on them out of the window. Then do that thing with your hands.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

SybilVimes posted:

DIY necessarily involves owning a car, therefore it is not 'correct'

Not if you live in London.

But then again if you live in London you're probably not Correct anyway :(

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

marktheando posted:

Sounds to me like god botherers are not a homogenous group and should not be treated as such

Fluo
May 25, 2007

marktheando posted:

Are you a robot or something. We're talking about a mass amount of people with many different splinters, they don't have it both ways. Some have it one way and some have it the other. The types who use the bible to bash gays are pretty dense because they most likely didn't even read Sodom and Gomorrah or if they did their memory is pretty fickle. Right at the start of the story they point to it says they were going to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah because they were sinful. The raping happens after that, which at the time culturally was not always sexual. It was a way of humiliating your enemies, that's why after battles the winners would do it to the losers on the battlefield there and then.

Not spilling/wasting your seed(sperm) was to do with just population building. It's all about cultural understand, not being a literalist and how you interpret it.

Also:

mfcrocker posted:

Sounds to me like god botherers are not a homogenous group and should not be treated as such

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Churchchat: Just this week I learned that an 80+ year old verger at the church where I work always carries a copy of Mao's Little Red Book with him everywhere. :allears:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

KayTee posted:

Churchchat: Just this week I learned that an 80+ year old verger at the church where I work always carries a copy of Mao's Little Red Book with him everywhere. :allears:

My local vicar when I was growing up was of the 'communism is the right solution...' type, he was a good fellow (and came to visit me many times when I was in hospital 'just so you have someone to talk to'), despite being part of the CoE.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KayTee posted:

Pfff come back to us when he's following the teachings of Saloth Sar - then we might finally get to do something about London right folks!!!

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
The first and only time I have been to a church service was for a baptism and the opening line to it was "The Jews were complaining again". On the one hand I thought 'well that sounds about right', but it also made me feel quite unwelcome.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I grew up going to church every week (evil Catholic church even) and the only thing priests ever talked about was that maybe we should all share things and be nice to each other. It never seemed terribly malicious tbh.

QuantumCrayons
Apr 11, 2010

marktheando posted:

Not really convoluted, but there's a school of thought that suggests because women in Corinth weren't educated in the way of faith or theology and had little working knowledge of this new-fangled Christinaity, they would pester their husbands about points brought up during the services. As men and women were segregated during services, this could lead to shouting across pews or groups of people, resulting in a giant group of people yelling across each other with no-one actually hearing the service.

If that's true it goes from "women are subservient in life" to "since you won't educate the women in your society, the Word of God is probably more important during the service and they can ask about it later".

For all that people say the church is gay-bashing, the Church of Scotland (whilst not yet allowing homosexual marriage) recently voted to allow churches to ordain ministers who were in a same-sex relationship. They're also all for women being ordained in office. So, basically

mfcrocker posted:

QuantumCrayons fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 10, 2014

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

JFairfax posted:

Why don't plumbers have a nickname?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose plumber is already a nickname, it's derived from plumbum and these days plumbing doesn't really have much to do with lead. so you could say they have oldest and most classical nickname of the lot.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

I wasn't. By 'these god botherers' I meant specifically those Christians who have modern views on things like sexuality and women's rights.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I was raised Catholic and can confirm that in the hardcore Old Rite Latin Mass women are not allowed to talk.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Fluo posted:

It's a pretty sweeping generalization of a group of people. Most I know (some are Lay Readers and Victors) are pro women bishops and pro gay marriage.

His opinion still isn't persecution even if it's inaccurate and/or unfair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
While we're on Churchchat, Christians in the Hand of an Angry God is an interesting read about the rise of the Christian Right and how the duty to help the poor has been increasingly written out (despite being one of the major focuses of the New Testament) and replaced with clutching at straws to shout about gays and abortion.

• Locked thread