Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Radiapathy posted:

"softsynths that sound like Virus hypersaw"
I tried my best, but I think I lost track of what I was doing a bit because most of it is "the coolest supersaw I can get from this plugin" and not as much "as close to the Virus as possible". I had to guess with the effects, because I don't have the ones you mentioned. A bit of delay (TAL Dub 2), a bit of reverb (Ambience). fake edit: Woah, you used a lot more reverb and longer release times - don't know how I missed that.

I think I've been a bit heavyhanded with the filter automation. The instantaneous flip from 100% open to 50% open doesn't end up sounding graceful with some plugins.

https://soundcloud.com/flipperwaldt/sets/supersaw-compariso

It's former freeware supersaw superstar SuperWave P8, contending alledged JP-8000 clone JP6K, Tone 2 Firebird, KV331 Audio SynthMaster CM, Cableguys Curve 2 with the "fake supersaw trick" (3 OSC used with different offsets + 9 voice unison) and then a mixdown of all of them because why not.

The first two are Win/32 bit only, so forget about them, they're just there because in their time they supposedly were the greatest at supersaws. Firebird is Win/32 bit & 64 bit, has become free recently and is a neat VA with some special oscillator tricks without complicating stuff too much. SynthMaster CM is a Computer Music special edition you should be a ble to get for free with a copy of the magazine and for a slimmed down version it doesn't even feel crippled at all. Win & Mac/32 & 64 bit. Curve... does allright for faking it, I think. I could have complicated the patch more because you can make every oscillator a mix between two waveforms and then modulate that. Could have added some more differently offset saws there, but I didn't think of it at the moment and the demo doesn't reload settings or presets, so, eh.

If your goal is supersaws and you're doing it on the cheap, you could do worse than SynthMaster CM and/or Firebird. Curve is awesome but for different reasons. And I guess todays protip is: layer that poo poo; the mix of all the different implementations (approaching 50 oscillators simultaneously!) sounds best to me. More is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Awesome. Bookmarked; gonna have a listen when I have audio.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Final 18~ hours call on that freaky Imitone MIDIfier thing I'd linked earlier---has actually managed to hit all but perhaps the final stretch goal for an Android version as luck and effort would have it, and it isn't hard to reckon it just might manage it down at the wire.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evanbalster/imitone-mind-to-melody

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Final 18~ hours call on that freaky Imitone MIDIfier thing I'd linked earlier---has actually managed to hit all but perhaps the final stretch goal for an Android version as luck and effort would have it, and it isn't hard to reckon it just might manage it down at the wire.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evanbalster/imitone-mind-to-melody

It looks interesting and all, but what the hell is this poo poo? :psyduck:

quote:

The best part: It's not just a promise. Imitone is fully-functional right now, and will be available to backers within a month after this Kickstarter concludes.
In other words; "I've already finished this thing, but I can't release it until I have at least $20.000 in my pocket."

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Your Computer posted:

It looks interesting and all, but what the hell is this poo poo? :psyduck:

In other words; "I've already finished this thing, but I can't release it until I have at least $20.000 in my pocket."

Sounds like it's 80% done in software dev parlance. He has a prototype that solves all the "hard" parts and now he has 80% of the work left to make it usable for people other than him.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

If your goal is supersaws and you're doing it on the cheap, you could do worse than SynthMaster CM and/or Firebird. Curve is awesome but for different reasons. And I guess todays protip is: layer that poo poo; the mix of all the different implementations (approaching 50 oscillators simultaneously!) sounds best to me. More is better.
For the standalones I liked your Firebird patch the best; did you add noise to it or is that just the saws doing that?

But yeah the whole shebang one was great!

EDIT: Oh Flipperwaldt- something I meant to ask you- do you have any docs on the Blofeld MIDI implementation? The only CC I know is Filter 1 cutoff (69). I've been searching, but all I find are a bunch of ancient 404ed links. And the Waldorf site's surprisingly less useful than Access's. The manual's also very skimpy on details.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 10, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Radiapathy posted:

EDIT: Oh Flipperwaldt- something I meant to ask you- do you have any docs on the Blofeld MIDI implementation? The only CC I know is Filter 1 cutoff (69). I've been searching, but all I find are a bunch of ancient 404ed links. And the Waldorf site's surprisingly less useful than Access's. The manual's also very skimpy on details.

Couple of pages earlier he linked me this: http://cl.ly/T6L3/download/Waldorf_Blofeld_CC_List_Fixed.xls
:3:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

sliderule posted:

So the E-mu Morpheus sounds interesting. Is it $150 interesting though? How many Wavestations is it worth?

Edit: I currently have 0 romplers, and this one caught my ear.

50-100$ more than it's really worth. Try haggling.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Hot drat, that's what I needed. Thanks!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Radiapathy posted:

For the standalones I liked your Firebird patch the best; did you add noise to it or is that just the saws doing that?
I don't really know, to be honest. There's a knob called analog dirt that I turned up a lot, which I guess probably includes noise as well as a whiff of random pitch modulation. Filter emulation was set to Noisy Moog and again I'm not really clear on what sort of noise it introduces. So... probably?

Firebird isn't your typical subtractive synth, it uses harmonic content morphing synthesis (whatever that means) and as a consequence you can only guess what a parameter does exactly. Yet I never felt lost in the interface; the routing setup is very simple and most of the character comes from the list of complex oscillator waves and mathematical modifier list. You can just set up a patch and then very easily audition various combinations of those. The presets hint at serious dance/trance potential.

I still like SynthMaster CM a lot because you can set envelope curves which can make for pretty snappy attacks, which you can hear in the example. It was also the only one of the plugins that gave me explicit control over the supersaw pan spread, which is a weird omission in all the others. The full version is such a beast, way over my head. This is just at my level.

Radiapathy posted:

:confused: Apart from a few mistakes, the manual has the full list in an appendix. My list doesn't add a lot of details then.

Anyway, I'd be willing to update it if you find something useful lacking or still wrong. If anyone knows which sync parameter cc#49 "Sync" affects, I'd be interested to know too.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Sizone posted:

50-100$ more than it's really worth. Try haggling.

Place is also selling a Proteus 2000, asking same price. It seems to have better modulation capabilities, different filters, and a ton more voices built-in, although I doubt I'd get much use out of hundreds of EPs, hundreds of Basses, etc. As long as it can do anything a Morpheus can do with respect to ambient, developing pads, I can imagine that it's the more worthwhile unit?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
P2k is the next in line, you're probably better off with it. It's got some of the same filters as the morpheus, ~a third of them iirc, and has internal expansion slots for more waveROM. If you're lucky it might already have some installed. It's also much, much easier to program and actually has realtime tweakable knobs on the front panel. Here's one with the lead card for $110, probably a better deal if you're in the states unless the one you're looking at is stuffed with ROMs.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm in Canada, so shipping, exchange and customs makes anything from there automatically $50-$100 more.

I'm going to contact the seller and see what's included. Thanks for the info!

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

sliderule posted:

I'm in Canada, so shipping, exchange and customs makes anything from there automatically $50-$100 more.

:canada: Timbits for all.
If it has no other cards then use that as an entry to the haggle zone.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

:confused: Apart from a few mistakes, the manual has the full list in an appendix. My list doesn't add a lot of details then.
Haha, well for whatever reason searching my PDF of the manual wasn't turning up any results- in fact it was open on my other monitor when I posted my question. But I just now scrolled most of the way down and found it. I at least tried to RTFM.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

sliderule posted:

Not a joke: Do you want a wavestation? I'm in BC.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Radiapathy posted:

Guys on Reddit really hated the Massive patch. I dunno what to say; I actually know Massive better than any of the other synths I used (other than the Virus itself) and I just couldn't get it any closer to the Virus sound than that. :shrug:

You should've withheld which sound came from which synth; it cuts right through the prejudice.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Not a joke: Do you want a wavestation? I'm in BC.

I'd take one, but I'm in Ontario.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Not to defend reddit, but I found the Massive patch to be noticeably less enjoyable than the others. And I love Massive.

sliderule posted:

I'd take one, but I'm in Ontario.

Whereabouts? A large chunk of my family is in Brampton/Cambridge so I could easily have an excuse to head out that way. Even then, shipping within the country shouldn't be abysmal and I'd probably be happier to sell it than put it in storage for a few years.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Whereabouts? A large chunk of my family is in Brampton/Cambridge so I could easily have an excuse to head out that way. Even then, shipping within the country shouldn't be abysmal and I'd probably be happier to sell it than put it in storage for a few years.

PM sent!

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Not to defend reddit, but I found the Massive patch to be noticeably less enjoyable than the others. And I love Massive.
I think it just wasn't the tool for that specific job, particularly given my self-imposed restrictions when programming (single OSC, no FX, no EQ, etc). I use it all the time, and think it's great.

My only complaint with that patch was the attack pops, which is something I often have trouble eliminating from Massive patches; it's usually not noticeable in a mixed track though. I liked several others better though, yes.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

Massive patches

Massive is stupidly clicky, but at least it's consistently stupid so you can usually EQ out the clicking.

Edit: Speaking of EQing, I have a problem, I think:

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 10, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Music production skype hangout, anyone?

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Edit: Speaking of EQing, I have a problem, I think:

EQing is second biggest obstacle stopping people from making music, next to buying synths.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Proteustalk: I've always been intrigued by the Emu romplers. The demos I've heard make these boxes sound *really* cool. Very much a set of professional quality samples that have been used in a lot of big time tunes. I see the original Proteus peppered about in various studios but I think the 2k added way more features. I'm also pretty sure you can swap a lot of the ROM chips between units, I've been considering adding one of the sound banks to my E4XT but it will end up cutting down my available sampling memory (plus the listings I've found for the chips are expensive as gently caress).

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

SineRider posted:

EQing is second biggest obstacle stopping people from making music, next to buying synths.

At least I'm making something don't discourage me now. :colbert:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/4380688196.html

Does this seem like a good deal for the lot?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
That's probably a fair bit over what I'd personally expect to pay for all of those if I was buying them individually. As a bundle it's a ripoff.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

SineRider posted:

There's no problem throwing money at won't make me feel better with. *over pays on an expensive filter module*

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Music production skype hangout, anyone?

I think this would be a great way for Internet strangers to hold each other accountable and encourage each other to actually do stuff, but for myself personally, I fear I would be too much of a newbie to contribute.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Sample library controversy: A company called Binary Music just released a Kontakt library that's basically just the entire bank of original D-50 presets (for only $23!). But on Synthtopia's Facebook page, Eric Persing (legendary Roland sound designer) is claiming the product is an illegal rip of Roland's copyrighted work (because of all the PCMs... part of the reason why there aren't any commercial D-50 emulations).

I'm half wanting to grab it, as the D-50 was one of my dream synths of the 80s, and I'll never have room in my life for a real one. But then there's that other issue...

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

So what you're saying is that you should buy it before they have to take it off their website.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Because Roland totally paid usage rights to all the instrument manufacturers from whom they sampled their wave ROM sources. :rolleyes:

(Eric Persing is an arrogant loudmouth.)

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
If Roland wanted to be taken seriously they wouldn't have spent 20 years catering to wedding bands.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Proteustalk: I've always been intrigued by the Emu romplers. The demos I've heard make these boxes sound *really* cool. Very much a set of professional quality samples that have been used in a lot of big time tunes. I see the original Proteus peppered about in various studios but I think the 2k added way more features. I'm also pretty sure you can swap a lot of the ROM chips between units, I've been considering adding one of the sound banks to my E4XT but it will end up cutting down my available sampling memory (plus the listings I've found for the chips are expensive as gently caress).

The Mo'Phatt I picked up last year was definitely 50$ well spent. The proteus 2000 range has some incredible modulation options, the Mo'Phatt, at least, has a -crazy- industrial/noise/weird poo poo sample set. I never actually use it though because it is hard to patch. Not in a "hurp de durp, microkorg is hardest to program" sort of way, but like, in a real, quadrasynth sort of way. Layering and cross fading is basically what patching comes down to for romplers, the only one I could really get my head around is the Ensoniq MR engine.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

If Roland wanted to be taken seriously they wouldn't have spent 20 years catering to wedding bands.

Roland -always- catered to wedding bands. It's just that the wedding band synths of yesteryear were Junos then D-50s.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SineRider posted:

This is the truth. My last album was an EQing nightmare and I thought I'd been on the right track with it but I really, really wasn't and it ended up not sounding all that great overall and I felt disappointed in myself for even releasing it at all and I never listen to anymore. The reason I haven't put out anything since then (late 2012) besides demos here and there is mainly because I can never seem to EQ just right. I don't know why, but before that last album, it felt easy and never felt like something I had to put much effort into with everything else I put out.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
EQing problems tend to go hand in hand with tired ears/mind and unfamiliar monitoring conditions. Take a break. Pet an animal.

Edit: also tweak the overall monitoring volume up and down, and change your listening position (including from outside the room) so issues stick out easier.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 11, 2014

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Swagger Dagger posted:

So what you're saying is that you should buy it before they have to take it off their website.
Pretty much.

Sizone posted:

Roland -always- catered to wedding bands.
Thread title.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ynohtna posted:

EQing problems tend to go hand in hand with tired ears/mind and unfamiliar monitoring conditions. Take a break. Pet an animal.

Edit: also tweak the overall monitoring volume up and down, and change your listening position (including from outside the room) so issues stick out easier.
Well I had this problem all throughout 2013 and I'm still having it to this day, so I guess I'm just in a slump. I have all these ideas up in the old noggin, but I feel like EQing will be the death of them. I've tried tweaking monitoring positions and I feel like that helps for some issues but not for others. Hopefully I can get out of this hole someday.

Maybe I need more synths. But I just loving bought a Microbrute a few months ago. Although I'm still convinced I need a Rhythm Wolf when they come out. Perhaps having my first hardware drum machine will re-invigorate me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Sorry, this is already the next thread title:

Startyde posted:

All gear is poo poo, hail Satan