Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kirios posted:

...did you guys ignore my second sentence or what?

Your second sentence was also incorrect though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.
The Saints had a really good draft in 2006:

1 - Reggie Bush, RB
2 - Roman Harper, S
4 - Jahri Evans, G
5 - Rob Ninkovich, DE
6 - Mike Hass, WR
6 - Josh Lay, CB
7 - Zach Strief, T
7 - Marques Colston, WR

The sixth round wasn't very good, but the rest of those guys are still starting (or at least playing) in the league.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If the worst thing you can say about the draft was "The 6th rounders didn't make an impact" then that's a pretty good draft

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Even if it were the case (they both started 16 games in 2010 and were both atrocious...I can't find anything that says either one was the #1 corner) you're talking about a guy that was converted to safety the year after being the #1 corner. The secondary was so bad in 2010 that I thought Jason Allen was a solid cornerback. If you recall Jason Allen was picked up halfway during the season from waivers and looked to outplay them both. He was lined up against the other teams #1 for the rest of the year.

Think about that. Jason Allen at one point in time was our #1 cornerback.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Knightmere posted:

He was talking about Eli

That makes it even funnier (and his comment still true).

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
If you guys aren't careful Ross is going to talk about all the picks and players they got out of the Eli trade which made it a one sided steal from the Chargers perspective (It wasn't [kiss the rings Ross])

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Giants 2004:
1. Rivers. Giants could smell the Ringless-ness on him and got a real QB instead
2. Snee. I think that worked out
4. Reggie Torbor - didn't do anything of note
5. Gibril Wilson - Helped us win a super bowl then made Miami sad
6. Jamaar Taylor - WR who did nothing
7. Drew Strojny - LT who did nothing
7. Isaac Hilton - DE who did nothing

Lotta fluff at the bottom there but we got a franchise QB and a franchise guard with the first two picks

Giants 2005:
2. Corey Webster - Caught Favre's last pass as a packer, owned pretty hard for a little while
3. Justin Tuck - Tuck Rules
4. Brandon Jacobs - Owned pretty hard for a little while, made 49er fans unhappy, which makes him cooler
5. Eric Moore - a nobody

3 imapct players in a draft with only 4 picks, Ernie loving nailed that one

Giants 2006:
1. Kiwi - hasn't lived up to potential but he's been more than servicable, good pick and a great guy
2. Sinorice Moss - KILL IT WITH FIRE
3. Gerris Wilkinson - was on the team for a while simply due to lack of anything good at LB
4. Barry Cofield - Solid pick, helped us win a bowl and now doing well with the Skins. Wish we could have kept him
4. Guy Whimper - Was on the team for a few years, now on the Steelers. Lamest name for a football player ever?
5. Charlie Peprah - never played for us, was a Packer
7. Gerrick McPhearson - can't remember a thing about him

Pretty solid drafting overall. Outside loving Sinorice Moss, gently caress that guy

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Intruder posted:

Your second sentence was also incorrect though

Lol

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Shawne Merriman - Absolute monster for a few short seasons, got his knee taken out by Jeff Fisher's goons and never had surgery to properly recover

Wait, what?! Why didn't he have surgery? He was the next LT :(

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Febreeze posted:

Giants 2004:
1. Rivers. Giants could smell the Ringless-ness on him and got a real QB instead
2. Snee. I think that worked out
4. Reggie Torbor - didn't do anything of note
5. Gibril Wilson - Helped us win a super bowl then made Miami sad
6. Jamaar Taylor - WR who did nothing
7. Drew Strojny - LT who did nothing
7. Isaac Hilton - DE who did nothing

Lotta fluff at the bottom there but we got a franchise QB and a franchise guard with the first two picks

Giants 2005:
2. Corey Webster - Caught Favre's last pass as a packer, owned pretty hard for a little while
3. Justin Tuck - Tuck Rules
4. Brandon Jacobs - Owned pretty hard for a little while, made 49er fans unhappy, which makes him cooler
5. Eric Moore - a nobody

3 imapct players in a draft with only 4 picks, Ernie loving nailed that one

Giants 2006:
1. Kiwi - hasn't lived up to potential but he's been more than servicable, good pick and a great guy
2. Sinorice Moss - KILL IT WITH FIRE
3. Gerris Wilkinson - was on the team for a while simply due to lack of anything good at LB
4. Barry Cofield - Solid pick, helped us win a bowl and now doing well with the Skins. Wish we could have kept him
4. Guy Whimper - Was on the team for a few years, now on the Steelers. Lamest name for a football player ever?
5. Charlie Peprah - never played for us, was a Packer
7. Gerrick McPhearson - can't remember a thing about him

Pretty solid drafting overall. Outside loving Sinorice Moss, gently caress that guy

Reggie Torbor was one of the most elite change to DE from OLB guys in Madden 2007. Him and Manny Lawson instantly became 99 overalls.

Kiwi was hosed around with. Should have been a DE his entire career and is far better at that position than manning the SAM.

Snee should be a HoFer but got screwed over with no pro bowl votes for the first few years even though he was arguably the best guard in football after 2005.

Sinorice Moss was the worst pick of the bunch. Got in on bloodlines and because the Giants wanted a kick returner that they could also use on offense (a weird fascination that Tom Quinn has never stopped doing). The guy picked a little bit after him that everyone agreed was the best returner in CFB that year? Devin Hester.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

John Brown posted:

He was the next LT :(

No. No he was not.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

John Brown posted:

Wait, what?! Why didn't he have surgery? He was the next LT :(

Well he also stopped doing as many PEDs at about the same time so go figure.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

They went 14-2 with Marty at the helm and then they shitcanned him for having bad luck and getting on AJ Smith's bad side, I would think that they would have been in contention if they had kept that core together

Like when they went to the conference championship in 2007 (the following year) and were the #2 seed in 2009? I'm not disagreeing that it was a superbly talented team -- I'm disagreeing that it was squandered talent by Norv Turner.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

shiksa posted:

Well he also stopped doing as many PEDs at about the same time so go figure.

That's conveniently forgotten. It happens.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I didn't know the Chargers spent a third on Kaeding, that's kind of ridiculous even though he was great for a long time.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Eifert Posting posted:

I've been meaning to set up a thread about which draft would field the best team from the last expansion to 2011 (Allowing three years for evaluation as per norm) but :effort:

Plenty of off season left. Just a cursory look can tell you how amazing that draft was. Excluding the reach QBs the top ten picks are at least pro bowl level players with Marcel Dareus probably being the worst of the bunch. Then at 11 you have possibly the best player in the draft with JJ Watt. Two QBs from the second who are decent starters and a smattering of mid round talent producing at high levels like Randal Cobb and Jordan Cameron, it was a good draft.

Seriously look at the top end of this draft:

1. Cam Cameron
2. Von Miller
3. Marcel Dareus
4. A.J. Green
5. Patrick Peterson
6. Julio Jones
7. Aldon Smith
8. Jake Locker
9. Tyron Smith
10. Blaine Gabbert

Sure, two of these things are not like the others, but that is still an insane success rate.

Krackleburt
Aug 24, 2008
The Broncos had a pretty sweet 2006 draft class.

quote:

1 - Jay Cutler (QB) Vanderbilt
2 - Tony Scheffler (TE) W Michigan
4 - Brandon Marshall (WR) UCF
4 - Elvis Dumervil (OLB) Louisville
4 - Domenik Hixon (WR) Akron
5 - Chris Kuper (OG) North Dakota
6 - Greg Eslinger (C) Minnesota

Annnnnnd they're all gone.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

The Puppy Bowl posted:

1. Cam Cameron
2. Von Miller
3. Marcel Dareus
4. A.J. Green
5. Patrick Peterson
6. Julio Jones
7. Aldon Smith
8. Jake Locker
9. Tyron Smith
10. Blaine Gabbert

Sure, two of these things are not like the others, but that is still an insane success rate.

Honestly, drafting an offensive coordinator R1-1 wouldn't have been a bad move for the 2011 Panthers.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

The Puppy Bowl posted:

1. Cam Cameron
2. Von Miller
3. Marcel Dareus
4. A.J. Green
5. Patrick Peterson
6. Julio Jones
7. Aldon Smith
8. Jake Locker
9. Tyron Smith
10. Blaine Gabbert

And after those ten? JJ Watt. :stonk:

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Grozz Nuy posted:

I didn't know the Chargers spent a third on Kaeding, that's kind of ridiculous even though he was great for a long time.

Obviously it's impossible to tell if a kicker's going to hack it in the NFL, but if he had the career that Kaeding did, I wouldn't be mad at that pick in hindsight. There's so many bad kickers in the NFL, and the ones that aren't usually aren't consistent.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

oldskool posted:

Honestly, drafting an offensive coordinator R1-1 wouldn't have been a bad move for the 2011 Panthers.

Yeah, but you'd want a better one than that. I always mix up the names in my head. Pretty sure it's because Deon Sanders calls Newton Cammy Cam all the time.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

bhsman posted:

And after those ten? JJ Watt. :stonk:

And then Fairley at 13! And then Robert Quinn at 14!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Krackleburt posted:

The Broncos had a pretty sweet 2006 draft class.

Annnnnnd they're all gone.

That's a pretty loving amazing draft if you'd actually kept the players.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That might the best fourth round a team has ever had.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Puppy Bowl posted:

1. Cam Cameron
2. Von Miller
3. Marcel Dareus
4. A.J. Green
5. Patrick Peterson
6. Julio Jones
7. Aldon Smith
8. Jake Locker
9. Tyron Smith
10. Blaine Gabbert

The best part about that is 7-8 years from now when most of those guys have declined due to age there's going to be posters whining about how terrible that draft was because Aldon Smith is some old and busted rotational OLB.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Detroit_Dogg posted:

And then Fairley at 13! And then Robert Quinn at 14!

Cam Jordan at 25ish, too.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Doltos posted:

The best part about that is 7-8 years from now when most of those guys have declined due to age there's going to be posters whining about how terrible that draft was because Aldon Smith is some old and busted rotational OLB in jail for DWI.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

A true sign of how overdrafted QBs tend to be.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
Bears 2006 Draft:

2 10(42) Danieal Manning S Abilene Christian (Was never really great for the Bears, solid on the Texans though.)
2 25(57) Devin Hester CB Miami (FL) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVD8SZ3GP_s)
3 9(73) Dusty Dvoracek DT Oklahoma (Currently playing for the Nighthawks in the UFL)
4 23(120) Jamar Williams OLB Arizona State (Currently playing for the Roughriders in the CFL)
5 26(159) Mark Anderson DE Alabama (Anderson was good! He's on the Patriots now I think.)
6 26(195) J.D. Runnels FB Oklahoma (Currently out of football, was last seen on the Florida Tuskers in 2010)
6 31(200) Tyler Reed OG Penn State (Never made it out of the practice squad)

None are still on the roster.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Raiders 2006

1. Michael Huff, S, Texas - Was great for a while? Out of the league?
2. Thomas Howard, LB, Texas-El Paso - Super loving fast, tore his ACL and is figuratively out of the league and literally dead
3. Paul McQuistan, OL, Weber State - Don't make me link the other McQuistan brothers face
4. Darnell Bing, S, USC - Sucked
6. Kevin Boothe, OL, Cornell - :siren: is on the team:siren: (after spending the bulk of his successful career with the Giants)
7a. Chris Morris, C, Michigan State - who?
7b. Kevin McMahan, WR, Maine - huh?

Blitz of 404 Error fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 10, 2014

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

DupaDupa posted:

Bears 2006 Draft:
Jerry Angelo drafts still drive me to drink.
Bears 2009 Draft:

3 4 68 Jarron Gilbert DT: Jumped out of a pool on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXDSPbZ_OUw

This may or may not be the only reason Angelo drafted him

3 35 99 Juaquin Iglesias WR: Wikipedia says he plays football in Finland now
4 5 105 Henry Melton DE: Owned for one year, blew out his knee, beat up some guys in a bar. Signed by the Cowboys
4 19 119 D.J. Moore CB: Meh. Now a Buc
5 4 140 Johnny Knox WR: Almost died on the field:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15-yQO01Uwc

5 18 154 Marcus Freeman OLB: Who
6 17 190 Al Afalava S: Who
7 37 246 Lance Louis TE: Converted to guard, did fairly well, blew out his knee, out of football
7 42 251 Derek Kinder WR: Who

Emanuel Collective fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 10, 2014

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Blitz7x posted:

2. Thomas Howard, LB, Texas-El Paso - Super loving fast, tore his ACL and is out of the league
That's an interesting way of putting it.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Jesus. Six days after being released by the Falcons, too.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Atticus Finch posted:

That's an interesting way of putting it.

Oh wow, I completely thought I read that he was done after his ACL tear

edit: oh thats right he loving died I completely forgot

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

gently caress Anthony Hargrove...Johnny Knox could have been such a great player. Watching video of that injury makes me queasy every time I see it. :(

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Getting near to the draft, do we need to tweak our board...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlKG-aCJD3VxdDRGT2EtV3NxNWZWOF9iVWVTY0RxMlE&usp=sharing#gid=0

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
Jacksonville Jaguars 2006 Draft

Round 1 - Pick 28 - Overall 28
Marcedes Lewis (TE): Great run blocking tight end with highly under rated catching ability, mostly due to his production falling off a cliff following his lone Pro-Bowl season. His time with the franchise will likely be up after next year as the offense continues to get younger.

Round 2 - Pick 28 - Overall 60
Maurice Jones-Drew (RB): The face of the franchise for the past decade and the holder of a number of franchise records that aren't likely to be touched for some time. Hit the free agent market and signed in Oakland marking a return to his hometown.

Round 3 - Pick 16 - Overall 80
Clint Ingram (LB): I feel like I should know more about this guy and his time with the team...but I don't. Played in Jacksonville for 3 years, sustained a knee injury that saw him released. Signed with the Saints and placed on PUP. Released about a month into the season.

Round 5 - Pick 28 - Overall 160
Clint Hawkins (DE): Name: Perrenial Pro-Bowler, Player: Not even close. Contributed on special teams some. Released in 08.

Round 7 - Pick 5 - Overall 213
James Wyche (DE) - Majority of his time was Practice Squad and IR. Released in 09.

Round 7 - Pick 28 - Overall 236
Dee Web (CB) - Training camp cut one year later.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Uhh hahaha why would you think this was a good idea

Rotoworld posted:

FSU WR Kelvin Benjamin "blew off" a workout with an NFL coach who made a "special trip" for the visit, according to NFL.com's Gil Brandt.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Uhh hahaha why would you think this was a good idea

Especially the part where the guy speculates that it may have been a workout for a team at the bottom of the first. This could be a huge miscalculation on his part if he ends up dropping that far.

edit: No, Seattle Seahawks/San Francisco 49ers/New Orleans Sains/Denver Broncos I'm too tired to work out today. Please don't pick me in the upcoming draft.

That or it's just a hit piece leaked to help the guy fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

@Gil_Brandt: Kelvin Benjamin 30th in my new rankings. Was told KB recently blew off workout w NFL coach who had made special trip, said he was too tired

lol

• Locked thread