Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

TinTower posted:

I don't see why not; I can think of four current Ministers off the top of my head who are openly LGBT, one of which attends full Cabinet.
Should the Equalities brief still encompass Women? If so you're specifically looking for a lesbian (or trans woman) MP. AFAIK the only openly gay woman MP is Labour's Angela Eagle. I think it's more realistic though to try to find an openly supportive candidate than to pick the only individual to meet very restrictive requirements (since disabled black lesbian politicians only currently exist in 'hilarious' PC jokes).

RIP Sue Townsend, aged 68 and a few days. If she'd lasted a few months more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Kegluneq posted:

Should the Equalities brief still encompass Women? If so you're specifically looking for a lesbian (or trans woman) MP. AFAIK the only openly gay woman MP is Labour's Angela Eagle. I think it's more realistic though to try to find an openly supportive candidate than to pick the only individual to meet very restrictive requirements (since disabled black lesbian politicians only currently exist in 'hilarious' PC jokes).

RIP Sue Townsend, aged 68 and a few days. If she'd lasted a few months more.

I think Equalities should be as diverse as possible; that's the point. For example, a (rather probable) Labour equalities team of Gloria de Piero, Chris Bryant, and Rushanara Ali would be a good idea. It's depressing that the Tories have had more diversity in the current Equalities team (which, I believe, is Javid, Morgan, Grant, and Willott) than Labour ever have.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I don't think there is a disabled gay black transgender woman MP in the Tory party though. Specially in the Tory party.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Disability is also something woefully under-represented in the Commons; AFAIK, there are only a handful of MPs with some sort of physical disability? Granted, one of them was the Prime Minister for three years.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Yeah, Evans is clearly unstable and sleazy. Looking at the case though, I'm a bit bemused why it ever went to trial.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
It seems rather counter-intuitive to have someone who regarded ticket touts as classic entrepreneurs in the position of Culture Secretary

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

tdrules posted:

It seems rather counter-intuitive to have someone who regarded ticket touts as classic entrepreneurs in the position of Culture Secretary

Ticket touts are bullshit because it's not a "middleman" by any sense of the word. They buy up all the tickets so no one else can then just instantly re-list them at a higher price. If they hadn't bought up all the tickets in the first place then the "common man" would be able to purchase them straight from the original distributor anyway.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Just lose your bet already Lemon, God drat.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...on-9253203.html

quote:

A ramshackle brick-built garage next to a south London light industrial estate has become the most expensive ever to sell in Britain after reaching an auction price of £550,000 in a “frenzied” bidding war.

The 568sq ft former coach house, used for years to park the mayor of Southwark’s car, went under the hammer for almost triple the guide price and £150,000 more than the average house in “up-and-coming” Camberwell.

It is also £25,000 more than was raised by the sale of a double garage in the shadow of Harrod’s in Knightsbridge, central London, last year – a record at the time.

The double-height bare-brick building with a 100sq ft cobbled drive next to Vanguard Court - an estate of 40 small workshops off Peckham Road - would require planning permission for change of use if it is to be turned into a residential property.

More than 200 artists and small business owners who work in the adjoining studios launched a campaign to prevent Southwark Council from going through with the sale. They feared any future occupier could object to the noise and obtain a noise abatement order forcing them out.

Some neighbours believe the anonymous buyer may be a wealthy local artist who has stepped in to save the studios as an act of philanthropy.

The brick-built garage off Peckham Road Pop singer Florence Welch, actor Tim Roth, TV star Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen and film director Mike Leigh all studied at the nearby Camberwell College of Arts. Angel Of The North sculptor Anthony Gormley lives in neighbouring Peckham and has exhibited at the college’s gallery.

Auctioneers Andrew Scott Robertson, which handled the sale, described the garage as having development potential subject to planning consent.

Photographs in the sales brochure show the only fixtures and fittings behind the steel shutter are a pile of wooden pallets and two strip lights hanging from bare-wood beams.

Neighbour Craig Bamford, 42, an architect and artist, said: “For just a bit of space it’s a lot of money, but it would make a nice little house. It’s getting more expensive around here. They are saying we’re going to be the next Shoreditch.

“It’s worrying because it raises prices, then only the wealthy can live here and that kind of kills the interesting part of a place. We’re hoping it becomes somebody’s studio.”

Craig Gorman, 48, a carpenter, said: “It’s just a garage, I’m shocked someone would pay so much, even the starting price is too much, but then it’s becoming trendy around here.”

Another artist said: “Apparently it was one of the biggest sale turnouts with more than 100 people all trying their hardest to snap it up.”

Miles Shipside, 55, a housing market analyst for Rightmove, said: “I have never seen a garage go for this much. Half a million pounds to park your car in? That would be extreme.

“What’s ridiculous is the shortage of housing supply, which means people are potentially paying this sort of money to create a home because there is such a shortage of more traditional residential properties. People are having to be creative.

Richard Livingstone, Southwark Council’s finance cabinet member, said: “Like most councils, Southwark has experienced big cuts. We are therefore delighted to have sold this garage for such a good price.”

Soon to be converted into three flats that cost £1,500 a month.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Gonzo McFee posted:

Well, I could pull my magical house price inflation lever to the "off" position but I really don't want to cough up that £20 so I'm afraid you'll have to deal with the madness until after 2015. Sorry dude, just the way it's gotta be.

Also a £550k garage and "the next shoreditch" what the actual christ.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I think I can make a fortune becoming a London property baron. I just need to get some rabbit hutches on the cheap and suddenly I'm the proud owner of a multiplex. Think I could get £1000 a month per hutch? I could stick a water feeder in and tack on an extra £200 as an "en-suite".

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Frankly at this point you could probably make money selling people property you don't own, given half of the owners don't live in the UK and are never going to come and check it out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PiCroft posted:

I think I can make a fortune becoming a London property baron. I just need to get some rabbit hutches on the cheap and suddenly I'm the proud owner of a multiplex. Think I could get £1000 a month per hutch? I could stick a water feeder in and tack on an extra £200 as an "en-suite".

You jest, but probably.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Frankly at this point you could probably make money selling people property you don't own, given half of the owners don't live in the UK and are never going to come and check it out.

that's actually been a successful scam in the past

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Gonzo McFee posted:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...on-9253203.html

Soon to be converted into three flats that cost £1,500 a month.

There's a garage conversion on the main road here in Mitcham that went for nearly £200,000. It was a 1 up 1 down with bathroom extended out the back, and was a flying freehold to boot.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Cerv posted:

that's actually been a successful scam in the past

Yeah, I remember a guy that came back from a period abroad and tried to put his house on the market, only to be told by the puzzled conveyancers that he didn't actually own it any more.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Umiapik posted:

Yeah, I remember a guy that came back from a period abroad and tried to put his house on the market, only to be told by the puzzled conveyancers that he didn't actually own it any more.

What happened after that?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Umiapik posted:

People who sell properties they don't own are classic entrepreneurs who should be allowed to operate without interference. Why do you hate ingenuity?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Ticket touts are bullshit because it's not a "middleman" by any sense of the word. They buy up all the tickets so no one else can then just instantly re-list them at a higher price. If they hadn't bought up all the tickets in the first place then the "common man" would be able to purchase them straight from the original distributor anyway.

Ticket touts won't go away until tickets are sold either (a) at true market value, which would price out all the poors or (b) linked to the buyer in a such a way that they can't be resold (like some tickets for some events are)

It's said that the latter option makes it difficult for buyers to sell their ticket if it turns out they can't make it to the event, but I think appropriate legislation could fix this by mandating that the event organiser must offer to buy back any unwanted tickets.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Torka posted:

What happened after that?

Just been looking for a news article but can't find anything! Does anyone else know what I'm on about? Think it was up in Merseyside: this guy went round looking for properties that had obviously been empty for a long time, then forged invoices for building work and went to court asking for repossession orders to be made, in order to pay for his unpaid bills. (this actually worked! Well, until he got caught, anyway.)

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

It's off-topic but the whole Wendi Deng - Tony Blair story is just so goddamn bizarre to me. I still can't quite get my head round it.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Saki posted:

It's off-topic but the whole Wendi Deng - Tony Blair story is just so goddamn bizarre to me. I still can't quite get my head round it.

Which story is this?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Murdoch has apparently admitted that the 'closeness' between Deng and Blair played a part in his filing for divorce is the only thing I know of at the mo.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Just the fact Wendi apparently wrote letters talking about how cute Blair's butt was. Amazing stuff.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Saki posted:

Just the fact Wendi apparently wrote letters talking about how cute Blair's butt was. Amazing stuff.

She wants to be the 1st First Lady of Europe

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Saki posted:

She married Rupert Murdoch remember

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
She what :psyduck:

I googled the name and saw a picture of them together under the name Wendi Deng Murdoch and assumed he must have adopted her or something :gonk:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that she was kind of a badass and was responsible for Murdoch's security or something.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ddraig posted:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that she was kind of a badass and was responsible for Murdoch's security or something.

Would make sense given her instinctive pie defense mechanism

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

I'm no expert, but if I was trying to overturn our horrid open-door government, oh and the previous one, I wouldn't go on HIGNFY and deny all knowledge of all the wingnuts in my party, and prove I am an unelectable toss-pot. But then, I don't think I would get asked, or would go. Also I don't really think right thinking people think that sort of stuff, and think that Boris did it, so its cool for me.

Oh Farage also managed to work in a sheep shagger allusion about the welsh.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Trickjaw posted:

I'm no expert, but if I was trying to overturn our horrid open-door government, oh and the previous one, I wouldn't go on HIGNFY and deny all knowledge of all the wingnuts in my party, and prove I am an unelectable toss-pot. But then, I don't think I would get asked, or would go. Also I don't really think right thinking people think that sort of stuff, and think that Boris did it, so its cool for me.

Oh Farage also managed to work in a sheep shagger allusion about the welsh.

The thing about that show is that its awfully posh. Even todays episode had a 60% strike rate for people who had their parents pay for their education. Its a given that it cannot go below 20% or above 80%.

I challenge anybody to find an episode of HIGNFY where it has a 20% strike rate for people who have had their parents pay for their education. I haven't watched every episode but I think it is an impossible challenge.

This is a country where 7.2 % of people are not educated by the state system. HIGNFY tells me nothing about my life.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

General China posted:

The thing about that show is that its awfully posh. Even todays episode had a 60% strike rate for people who had their parents pay for their education. Its a given that it cannot go below 20% or above 80%.

I challenge anybody to find an episode of HIGNFY where it has a 20% strike rate for people who have had their parents pay for their education. I haven't watched every episode but I think it is an impossible challenge.

This is a country where 7.2 % of people are not educated by the state system. HIGNFY tells me nothing about my life.

It maybe, but it was that or itv. But then, I don't really judge formulaic current events based shows on a class system, just comment on total cocks who think they are on a winner because it worked for a perceived loveable buffoon.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

General China posted:

40x02, 21 October 2010, Host: Frank Skinner, Ian's Team: Janet Street-Porter, Paul's Team: Reginald D. Hunter. What do I win?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Tortuga posted:

What do I win?

A piece of toast cut in rectangles.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

twoot posted:

A piece of toast cut in rectangles.

Better than a night with Janet Street-Porter. How Normski managed, I'll never know. And, no, its not a joke about her teeth/fellatio, its just she is an objectionable human being who is far too in love with her own voice, with no idea of the irony of bemoaning how limited her pensioners buspass is then in the next breath saying she went to the Royal Enclosure at Ascot in a helicopter, but was told off because her hat was too big. Bit of classism, there, GC.

Also, Loose Women, a show that makes Doctors look edifying.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Tortuga posted:

40x02, 21 October 2010, Host: Frank Skinner, Ian's Team: Janet Street-Porter, Paul's Team: Reginald D. Hunter. What do I win?

Close- but Janet Street-Porter went to this place- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architectural_Association_School_of_Architecture

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Trickjaw posted:

Bit of classism, there, GC.

Too loving right.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

General China posted:

Too loving right.

IIRC it was Hislop sneering at that, but I takes what I gets.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Trickjaw posted:

IIRC it was Hislop sneering at that, but I takes what I gets.

Its a class war, but at the moment we happen to be loosing.

Its only temporary.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Her parents didn't pay tho, she was 100% grant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

SybilVimes posted:

Her parents didn't pay tho, she was 100% grant.

We are, however, agreed she is gobby moron, though?

GC: Can we have a goon meet on your estate when its the glorious 11th or whatever it is? We don't have guns, we will just chuck whatever comes to hand.

• Locked thread